Start by marking “Home by Design: Transforming Your House into Home (Susanka)” as Want to Read:
Home by Design: Transforming Your House into Home (Susanka)

Home by Design: Transforming Your House into Home (Susanka)

Sarah Susanka's first three books have launched a revolution in residential architecture with the message that it's not the size of the house that matters, but the quality of its design and details. Her books strike a chord in homeowners, who are finding that bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. Now, in "Home by Design, Susanka presents 30 design concepts that can trans
Published March 11th 2004 by Taunton Press

To ask other readers questions about Home by Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home by Design

Ginger Heskett
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Erika RS
Jul 08, 2012 Erika RS rated it really liked it
Unlike Susanka's "Not So Big" books, this book looks at the fundamental principles of good home design without taking a particular angle such as "Not So Big". This is both a strength and a weakness.

It is a strength because you get the principles in distilled form. This makes it a lot easier to go back to the book when you want to remember what Susanka said about something like "light". In the "Not So Big" books, these principles tended to be more scattered. However, it's also a weakness because
Pam
Feb 05, 2012 Pam rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Sarah Susanka for her focus on creating a house that will meet our needs not necessarily a huge house. I highly recommend her books to anyone looking to better utilize their existing home or looking to buy or build a new home. One negative of Susanka's books is that she shows a strong preference to Craftsman style woodwork in every book and that architectural style becomes a bit repetitive, however all of her books are full of great ideas.

This book focuses on the design concep
Celia
Sep 02, 2012 Celia rated it it was amazing
I got interested in Christopher Alexander's Pattern Language as working in the spatial science I was always interested and how the arrangement of spaces and especially public spaces effects your feeling for certain places and also how spatial arrangement can influences how you behave and inter personal relationships between people such as the importance of public spaces in building community. Though I never really got his houses part. Sarah Susanka is heavily influenced by Christopher Alexander' ...more
Candy
Apr 05, 2010 Candy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: interior design enthusiasts and artsy types
Recommended to Candy by: read others of hers
Shelves: house-and-yard
I was tickled to learn that I have a "4th dimension" in my house. I didn't have a name for it, but now I do!
I have read other books by Sarah Susanka, and loved them. What I especially liked about this one is the organization of features that make a house a home, and the photo examples of each principle.
You could just read about the pictures and get the idea, but the text fleshes out what the pictures illustrate.
Jan Deelstra
Oct 07, 2013 Jan Deelstra rated it really liked it
Susanka's got a deserving "Coffee Table" edition with this one! Not just a collection of pretty photographs, this is actually a volume that boasts a lot of decorating instruction in easy to follow format. It's a nice addition to the toolbox of decorators and simply those who enjoy the decorator's touch.
Jan 02, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I love all Susanka's design books. This book was more narrative than most of her books and kind of a review of previously discussed principles. It's a good compact summary of her philosophy. I wish there were more examples of her ideas. She seems to recycle the same pictures from the same houses in each book.
Kathy
Apr 09, 2010 Kathy rated it liked it
Have enjoyed reading this and learning about design, but wish she could apply these principles to many styles. Most of the pictures seem to be a variation on one or two themes. There must be similar principles of good design in other styles of architecture.
g-na
Feb 11, 2012 g-na rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star-faves
A great book outlining design elements found in architecture, and exactly how design works and why those elements are good. After reading this I was able to go into houses and realize why a house was designed well (or poorly). Highly recommended.
carl  theaker
May 11, 2010 carl theaker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: artsy

Ideas about what to do where in the house. Great pics, makes you think,
and then think, mmm maybe I need another house?

Teeni
Feb 18, 2008 Teeni rated it liked it
Mweh. think it might be a good book if it weren't so technical? I might have just Susanka'd myself right out by the time I read this book, too.
Lisa Murray
May 26, 2012 Lisa Murray rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Some of the concepts in here were important to think about. The images that showed what she meant were fantastic!
Holly
Jul 26, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it
This book is essentially a summary of all the points in more detail in other books. If you're looking for one Susanka book to rule them all, this is it.
Mike Lynch
Mike Lynch rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Sandra
Sandra rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2014
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2011
Donzel
Dec 26, 2012 Donzel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2009
Excellent. If I could pick a person to design a home for me, Sarah Susanka would be it!
Gordon Horne
Gordon Horne rated it it was amazing
Jan 13, 2016
Tamara
Tamara rated it it was amazing
Oct 04, 2013
Christie
Christie rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2009
Dayna
Dayna rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2008
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2008
Kaiti Guthrie
Kaiti Guthrie rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2013
Prubo
Prubo rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2009
Dina
Dina rated it it was amazing
Jun 26, 2008
Stardust
Stardust rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2014
Gary Cunningham
Gary Cunningham rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Jennifer Bilek
Jennifer Bilek rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2014
Douglas Clark
Douglas Clark rated it liked it
Jun 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Patterns of Home: The Ten Essentials of Enduring Design
  • Outside the Not So Big House: Creating the Landscape of Home
  • The Solar House: Passive Solar Heating and Cooling
  • Real Simple 869 New Uses for Old Things: An Encyclopedia of Innovative Ideas for Everyday Items
  • Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities
  • The Chicago World's Fair of 1893: A Photographic Record
  • Autocrat of the Breakfast Table
  • Thuggin In Miami (The Family Is Made : Part 1)
  • The Wabi-Sabi House: The Japanese Art of Imperfect Beauty
  • Home: A Short History of an Idea
  • Houses of the Presidents: Childhood Homes, Family Dwellings, Private Escapes, and Grand Estates
  • Interior Design with Feng Shui
  • Good Capitalism, Bad Capitalism, and the Economics of Growth and Prosperity
  • House Thinking: A Room-By-Room Look at How We Live
  • The Challenge of the Disciplined Life: Christian Reflections on Money, Sex, and Power
  • The Timeless Way of Building
  • The House Book
  • The Parliament of Man: The Past, Present, and Future of the United Nations
Sarah Susanka is a bestselling author, architect, and cultural visionary. Her "build better, not bigger" approach to residential architecture has been embraced across the country, and her "Not So Big" philosophy has sparked an international dialogue, evolving beyond our houses and into how we inhabit our lives. In addition to sharing her insights with Oprah Winfrey and Charlie Rose, Susanka has be ...more
More about Sarah Susanka...