Start by marking “The Generals (Brotherhood of War, #6)” as Want to Read:
The Generals (Brotherhood of War, #6)

The Generals (Brotherhood of War #6)

4.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,445 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
They were the leaders, the men who made the decisions that changed the outcome of battles...and the fate of continents. From the awesome landing at Normandy to the tortorous campaigns of the South Pacific, from the frozen hills of Korea to the devastated wastes of Dien Bien Phu, they had earned their stars. Now they led America's finest against her most relentless enemy de ...more
Published February 1st 1986 by G.P. Putnam's Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Generals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Generals

Mike (the Paladin)
Here things have continued to escalate and there are men imprisoned in the Hanoi Hilton.

Many of us remember that. This novel centers around a rescue attempt to bring those prisoners home.

In a prior volume one of the characters was called, "baby killer". That was an odd period in history. I stopped at a car wash in my dress greens in '74 and was cursed at by the young woman employed at the place. She made reference to my coming in in my "green suit".

Yes it was an odd time. Felter at one point not
Kathy Stone
Jun 17, 2014 Kathy Stone rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-the-library
I really enjoyed this book. It reads quickly and so the reader is not bogged down in minutiae as in so many military stories. There are few definitions of military terms so there is no need to be afraid of jingo. Yes, these men are fierce patriots of the United States of America, but they are soldiers and as such supposed to be. This story takes place during the Vietnam War and that may make some readers uncomfortable, but there is little in the way of politics in this book. Yes, the presidents ...more
Angus Whittaker
Feb 23, 2014 Angus Whittaker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Another great addition to Griffin's Brotherhood of War series.

SPOILERS

I was very surprised to find, in the epilogue, that all the main characters retire at the end of the book. The epilogue tells about the retired life of Lowell, Bellmon, Hanrahan, Felter, Craig, and all the others. This is only book 6 in the series! I don't know what the last books in the series are about, then. The epic saga of Lowell, Felter, MacMillan, and the others seems to have come to a close. It ended with a bang - lit
Bob Conner
Mar 24, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing
I first fell in love with Griffin's series beginning with the Corps Series. Then along came Brotherhood of War.

Like The Corps, his characters are engaging and richly colorful. But, the Brotherhood of War, while still very dynamic, seems to focus a little less on the world of war and fighting and more on the culture of the US Army, especially the officer's corps. Reading this series, I was intrigued by the almost country-club like atmosphere Griffin sees in play among the US Army officers and th
Hunter
Aug 12, 2015 Hunter rated it it was ok
Its as if he got tired of writing the series, and took what should have reasonably been three books, compressed two of them into a single volume, and didn't even bother writing the one in the middle instead making vague allusions to it that amount to a few sentences... Honestly one of the least satisfying ends to a series I can think of. There are some later prequels, I know, but really doesn't change things on that front.
Paul K. Wein
Feb 20, 2015 Paul K. Wein rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a review of The Generals

The brotherhood of war series is my only experience with this author, it is a must read for anyone interested in military life. Regardless, I am not military but find the entire series fascinating based on his development of the characters. They have become like family. Also, you learn so much history from WWII through the Vietnam war. What a great read!
Ken Dodd
Jan 14, 2015 Ken Dodd rated it really liked it
The entire Brotherhood of War series is excellent. Once I read The Lieutenants I couldn't stop until I reached the end of the series. The 9 book series follows a group of characters through their careers in the military from WWII to the Vietnam era.
Atalanta16
Jul 11, 2014 Atalanta16 rated it did not like it
I've read all the books in the series. While the first novels were excellent, I really don't understand why each successive series had more and more scenes devoted to drinking. It became a real distraction from the plots.
Raving Redcoat
Jan 23, 2016 Raving Redcoat rated it liked it
A well written account of life during the Vietnam War. Again, what Griffin does well is describe how much important work of the military exists outside the battlefield.
Richard Palmer
Apr 27, 2012 Richard Palmer rated it it was amazing
Some reviewers said that this was a week ending to the series, but I disagree.

Griffin was true to his characters, giving them drama and adventure. The culmination of the careers of all these officers came together in a secret mission to rescue prisoners of war in North Vietnam. The same personalities that I have enjoyed so much in the previous five books came out again in a memorable story. Felter, Lowell, Macmillan, Belmon, Hanrahan, and the whole cast were all here.

I have to add my voice to th
Mikel Dawson
Jan 04, 2014 Mikel Dawson rated it really liked it
Shelves: alread-read
These men started out in WWII in the lower ranks and advanced to the highest ranks over time. Being able to adapt to changes in time, situations and events, they proved themselves as leaders of men. This book showed how one has to shoulder responsibilities for vast amounts of men and equipment. It also showed how men have to settle down a bit, but still have the want to be out in the action. Good reading.
Joel
Jun 10, 2016 Joel rated it really liked it
Really good read. I am really enjoying this series!
Tom Nolan
paperback
George
Nov 17, 2013 George rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
Book 6 of the Brotherhood series finds our heroes conducting operations during the Vietnam Conflict. Their characters are further developed and they continue to act in the same way that they always have, except they're older and "wiser."? It isn't much, really, about the generals...rather, continues to develop all the characters. I enjoyed the book and am already on to number 7, "The Aviators;" which seems to write over some of the epilogue from "The Generals".
Barbara
Apr 12, 2008 Barbara rated it really liked it
It was obvious that this was intended to be the final book in the series, and then he went and wrote three more. I was hooked on the characters from having read The Aviators (book 8), and then went back and read the rest from one to the end. This one takes place leaving gaps that are filled in by the later books.
Robin Halvorson
Aug 23, 2014 Robin Halvorson rated it did not like it
I reread this and I only read the first half because I absolutely hate the second half. In the second half protagnonists change character and it seems that Mr. Griffin decided to crank this out so he could meet a deadline. There is one of his books that I hate more than this one but this one sucks in the second half.
Will
Jun 07, 2013 Will rated it really liked it
The LBJ Years and Vietnam. Lowell's nephew Geoff Craig becomes the toast of Vietnam and launches into his career, as Craig Lowell roams from one pussy emergency to the next. Nixon keeps the Mouse Felter and a POW rescue mission is launched where Lowell leads the op which rescues his girlfriend's husband.
David Ward
Feb 08, 2016 David Ward rated it liked it
Shelves: military, fiction
The Generals (Brotherhood of War #6) by W.E.B. Griffin (Jove 1986) (Fiction - Military). These battle-tested men had fought in WWII, Korea, and now they were the leaders and decision makers in a new type of war in Vietnam. My rating: 7/10, finished 1986.
Keith Clasen
Mar 10, 2010 Keith Clasen rated it did not like it
Not good. I found it hard to finish. Story was not captivating and the writing was cluncky. Enough said - don't waste your time there are much better books to be read.
Arthur Alburo
Jan 17, 2012 Arthur Alburo rated it really liked it
at first i dont understand the plot!! but when i read it at chapter 2 much more good !! im blown away with the book itelf much enjoyable and really im addicted to it!!
Julie
Aug 16, 2013 Julie rated it liked it
Meh... Ok compared to the previous books, but it jumped too far forward and ended rather abruptly. I'd like a whole book on Craig W. Lowell.
Jeff
May 13, 2012 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Decent enough conclusion to the series. The criticisms on Amazon are a bit overblown.
Terry Thomas
Aug 11, 2012 Terry Thomas rated it it was amazing
Wonderful. If you enjoy military reads, you'll like this entire series.
Gene Rosso
Feb 24, 2011 Gene Rosso rated it really liked it
Man I loved this series, not the best in the series but enjoyable
Meakin
Aug 11, 2013 Meakin rated it really liked it
Shelves: w-e-b-griffin
A really great well-written series. I was sorry to see It end .
J.W. Thompson
Dec 30, 2009 J.W. Thompson rated it it was amazing
Wish he could write them faster----read this one years ago
Don Weymouth
Sep 14, 2015 Don Weymouth rated it it was amazing
Great ending to a comprehensive saga.
Mark Stuart
Excellent!
Bill
Mar 19, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it
Great!
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
  • Sword Point (Scott Dixon, #1)
  • Sympathy for the Devil
  • The Steel Wave (World War II: 1939-1945, #2)
  • Cross of Iron
  • Hammer Heads
  • Mass Casualties: A Young Medic's True Story of Death, Deception, and Dishonor in Iraq
  • Angels of Wrath (Larry Bond's First Team, #2)
  • Fort Pillow
  • Whirlwind: The Air War Against Japan, 1942-1945
  • Bomb Hunters: Life and Death Stories with Britain's Elite Bomb Disposal Unit in Afghanistan
  • Churchill and America
  • Kilo Class (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #2)
  • World War I
  • Red Army
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • Fortunes of War
W.E.B. Griffin is one of several pseudonyms for William E. Butterworth III.

From the Authors Website:

W.E.B. Griffin is the #1 best-selling author of more than fifty epic novels in seven series, all of which have made The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, Publishers Weekly, and other best-seller lists. More than fifty million of the books are in print in more than ten languages, including Heb
More about W.E.B. Griffin...

Brotherhood of War (9 books)
  • The Lieutenants (Brotherhood of War, #1)
  • The Captains (Brotherhood of War, #2)
  • The Majors (Brotherhood of War, #3)
  • The Colonels (Brotherhood of War, #4)
  • The Berets (Brotherhood of War, #5)
  • The New Breed (Brotherhood of War, #7)
  • The Aviators (Brotherhood of War, #8)
  • Special Ops (Brotherhood of War, #9)