Start by marking “The Brotherhoods: The True Story of Two Cops Who Murdered for the Mafia” as Want to Read:
The Brotherhoods: The True Story of Two Cops Who Murdered for the Mafia

The Brotherhoods: The True Story of Two Cops Who Murdered for the Mafia

INSIDE THE MOB.INSIDE THE NYPD.

THE LAST GREAT MAFIA BOOK OF OUR TIME.

"The Brotherhoods" is the chilling chronicle of the shocking crimes of NYPD de-tectives Stephen Caracappa and Louis Eppolito, notorious rogue cops found guilty in April 2006 of the ultimate form of police corruption -- shielding their criminal deeds behind their badges while they worked for the mafia. The
Published November 28th 2006 by Scribner Book Company (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Brotherhoods, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Brotherhoods

Burt Campbell
Jan 02, 2013 Burt Campbell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contrary to some other reviewers, I found the level of detail (e.g. backgrounds of individuals) just right; enough to understand their motivations, but not so much that you want to skip parts. I have to admit, I had low expectations when I started reading. I don't expect this genre to engender literary brilliance, but... really... there were few 'errors' (grammar, etc), I can only think of one that I noticed. I think the pacing of the story was just right, side-stories were introduced, then late ...more
Mark
Mar 20, 2013 Mark rated it it was amazing
In the tank for mafiosi like Anthony "Gaspipe" Casso and others, New York City detectives Stephen Caracappa and Louis Eppolito sold their badges, their souls, and their reputations to the highest bidders in organized crime. From leaking information to contract hits, these guys did it all — and got away with it for far longer than they should have. Guy Lawson researched and wrote this book at considerable expense to his law-enforcement career and his own reputation. The result is a thoroughly abs ...more
Kenneth Grubba
Oct 26, 2016 Kenneth Grubba rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful effort!!

EXCELLENT.Thank

EXCELLENT.Enjoyed every sentence. I like knowing what is happening in our society whether good or bad. This book is a winner

Linda Lou McCall
Overall, this is probably the best researched account of post-John Gotti Mafia history that I've ever read. Talk about learning "where all the bodies are buried"!!! That's the easy part. This book tells us about murders that no one even knew had occurred! Along with all manner of criminal acts - some of which I'd never even heard of. When I was attending law school at UC-Davis, in Criminal Law class we were given the acronym "MR (and) MRS LAMB" to help us remember the 9 felonies derived from Eng ...more
Matthew Dixon
Apr 20, 2013 Matthew Dixon rated it liked it
I read the book because of the subject matter and that surely didn't disappoint. The story of two high level NYC cops who served as information sources/hit men for the mob during the late eighties and early nineties was just as compelling as I figured. The problem with this book was the length. Essentially, the first two thirds of the book was a chronological record of the events that took place along with the backgrounds of all the major players. Fine. But then we move on to the trial and those ...more
Lauren Stanek
Feb 09, 2013 Lauren Stanek rated it really liked it
Very interesting book. I spent a great deal of time reading about the mafia in the Detroit and Chicago areas during the 20s, but hadn't read too much about the NYC mob families. The chronology and details were excellent. You can tell the book took a long time to research doing all the fact-checking. My only compliant was that about halfway through it started getting long and became difficult to trudge through. I also thought the chapter about the actual trial was short-changed. Overall, it was a ...more
Melissa Reynolds
Feb 05, 2012 Melissa Reynolds rated it really liked it
I read this book (which has been on my shelf for years, unread) because a friend and neighbor, a retired NY detective, was here for a party and pulled it off of my bookcase. He thumbed through it and said I'm in this. Turns out, one of the main characters was his partner. He never knew what his partner was into.
The book is interesting, but sometimes it tends to drag on with too much detail about the extended names and backgrounds of the mafia members. I guess much of it was needed to understand
Charlie Schnell
Jun 20, 2008 Charlie Schnell rated it it was ok
Shelves: history, non-fiction
Very interesting material and I enjoyed learning about the case. The writing is just so-so and it appeared that the author and Oldham had an axe to grind. Everyone trying to take credit for following up on the case and bringing them to justice. Very tangential and he tried to cover too much territory. When you are just getting in to a certain story line the book takes another line about another character in the story. Very difficult to follow.
Lee
This book tells the story of Lou Eppolito and Steven Carcappa two NYPD cops who were on the payroll of the mob. This story is told from the viewpoint of William Oldham the Major Case squad cop who refused to let the case die even when it seemed as if the cops would never face justice. Very in depth profiles of the Mafia figures, cops prosecutors and victims. Good read.
Michelle
Sep 26, 2009 Michelle rated it it was ok
While the story was interesting and the plot held a lot of promise, the writing was too tedious for my taste. The book read like a textbook and was extremely hard to get through. Way too many minute details belabored the story. But if you are looking for a play by play of how the 5 mob families started and their hierarchies then this is the book for you.
Gary Quien
Dec 10, 2010 Gary Quien rated it really liked it
Interesting account of the two dirtiest cops in New York City's history, who committed crimes including murder for the local mafia. Very good descriptions of the interface of the mob and the law cultures in the New York metropolitan area, and the sociology of organized crime and of dedicated lawmen, both the police, the prosecutors and attorney.
P.e. lolo
Mar 10, 2012 P.e. lolo rated it really liked it
Good book about how far the mafia reached and how even cops make mistakes to get caught. A little to much information could have made the book a little shorter. Strange the DA & FBI , are still fighting for credit just a few mos ago in 2011.
Dave
Sep 12, 2008 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a true story about two high ranking NY detectives that were doing contract kills for the mafia. Very well written and informative. This is the best inside look at the mafia and its inner workings I have ever read. It would make a great movie.
Michael
The basics of the story were very interesting, but boy did this one need an editor. I'd say 100 pages of this one could have been cut out easily without losing much. Worth a read if you're into the subject matter, but you might end up doing some skimming.
Jeff
Oct 19, 2008 Jeff rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story about two NYPD detectives who worked for the Mafia on the lam.

Just saw the news yesterday (Oct. 18, 2008) that the Courts of Appeals reconfirmed their convictions and life imprisonment sentences that were originally given out, but overturned earlier.
Geoffrey
May 25, 2014 Geoffrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Guy Lawson can build a narrative

I live a good novel, and this reads like one. Lawson and Oldham tie together a hugely complicated conspiracy and finish it up with a neat little bow.

I can't wait to read Octopus, and see how Lawson attacks Taibbi's turf.
Jeff Dickison
Jan 19, 2013 Jeff Dickison rated it really liked it
Interesting, but long and complicated true tale of two cops who were on the payroll of the mafia, even to the point of committing murder. Story was co-written by one of the cops (William Oldham) who investigated the case. Recommended to fans of true crime.
Ryan Clarke
Feb 28, 2015 Ryan Clarke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A stronger book co-authored by a detective who doesn't sugar-coat the crime, defendants, the process or himself. An excellent companion to the Jimmy Breslin book "A Good Rat" and the other mob-written books. It fills in the other side of the story and doesn't do any grandstanding.
Stevie
Jun 16, 2012 Stevie rated it really liked it
Brilliant read. Quite unbelievable that two high-ranking NYPD detectives could actually carry out high-level hits for the NYC Mafia. Fast paced and well written. Enthralling. Although found the details of the court case pretty boring but then again i usually do with mob books.
Yvonne
Oct 30, 2014 Yvonne rated it liked it
Shelves: organized-crime
Interesting subject matter. Why do so many books about Organized Crime seem to be missing an editor?
Tisa
Jan 14, 2011 Tisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, audiobooks
I absolutely live this book! I love mob stories anyway, and this story was mind blowing from beginning to end. Great read!
Florence
Nov 13, 2008 Florence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Were it not for the obsession of the detectiive on the case, these two lowlifes would have gotten away with their crimes.
Michelle
Feb 10, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it
This book was well-written and informative. I thought it drug a bit toward the end, but definitely worth a read!
Susie
I didn't not-finish this because it wasn't good like certain other books (*cough* Rebel Heart *cough*). I got distracted.
Killian Kenny
Killian Kenny rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2014
Andrew
Andrew rated it really liked it
Dec 28, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it did not like it
Mar 22, 2012
Silvère
Silvère rated it really liked it
May 06, 2016
Tedthulhu
Tedthulhu rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
David
David rated it really liked it
Apr 01, 2013
  • Mafia Wife
  • Little Man: Meyer Lansky and the Gangster Life
  • Making Jack Falcone: An Undercover FBI Agent Takes Down a Mafia Family
  • Underboss: Sammy the Bull Gravano's Story of Life in the Mafia
  • Mafia Prince: Inside America's Most Violent Crime Family and the Bloody Fall of La Cosa Nostra
  • Blood and Honor: Inside the Scarfo Mob--The Mafia's Most Violent Family
  • The Mafia Encyclopedia
  • Way of the Wiseguy: Secrets to Success in the Mob, Everyday Life, and Business
  • The Sinatra Club: My Life Inside the New York Mafia
  • Say It Ain't So

“Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes reminded us, it is a ‘less evil that some criminals should escape than that the government should play an ignoble part.” 0 likes
“The Rise, Decline, and Resurgence of America’s Most Powerful Mafia Empires,” 0 likes