Start by marking “Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)” as Want to Read:
Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven, #3)

Grip of the Shadow Plague (Fablehaven #3)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  53,341 ratings  ·  2,444 reviews
Strange things are afoot at Fablehaven. Someone or something has released a plague that transforms beings of light into creatures of darkness. Seth discovers the problem in its infancy, but as the infectious disease spreads, it becomes clear that the preserve cannot hold out for long.

In dire need of help, the Sorensons question where to turn. The Sphinx has always given so
Published April 21st 2008 by Shadow Mountain (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Grip of the Shadow Plague, please sign up.

Isabel Yes, I thought this book was excellent and used lots of different settings, characters, situations, and ideas to make it a very exciting and different…moreYes, I thought this book was excellent and used lots of different settings, characters, situations, and ideas to make it a very exciting and different read.This book is one of my favourites, too. (less)
City of Ashes by Cassandra ClareHush, Hush by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareMarked by P.C. Cast
Books That Should Be Made Into Movies
126th out of 18,666 books — 50,131 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsBreaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerThe Host by Stephenie MeyerThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann ShafferCity of Ashes by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2008
37th out of 1,361 books — 6,780 voters

More lists with this book...

Dawn
I enjoy the Fablehaven series, and this third one was very good. I like Mull's creativity and energy. I appreciate his ongoing discussion of the nature of good and evil, the power of our choices, and in this one, the consequences of choosing to believe or not. I liked the way this book expanded the characters and locations of the story. And Patton Burgess is awesome! :)

I read this book first alone, but then I reread it aloud with my husband. In reading aloud, we discovered an annoying flaw. Mul
Aaron Vincent
Originally Posted on Guy Gone Geek

The middle part of fantasy series are always the trickiest. The world is already established in the first book(s) and information about the series-long plot are held back for the finale. Middle part books are always the one that is the most forgettable and there are cases when these books are just fodders. Such is the case in Michael Scott’s Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel and even Rick Riordan’s Percy Jackson. I love both of these series but if you ask
John Conrad
Luann
This is a book I will like more in the future as I think back on it than I do right now having just finished it. The storyline was fine, but the execution of it fell flat for me. I was never completely drawn into the story until about the last hundred pages. Most of this was due to the splitting of the storyline with Kendra on a mission at Lost Mesa in Arizona while Seth stayed at Fablehaven and had adventures there. It felt very choppy as we jumped back and forth between the two storylines. May ...more
Mairéad (is exploring a floating city)
“Don't let the brownies bite.”

4.5 (almost 5 gaaaaah!) stars.

This happens to be my favourite out of the 3 I've read thus far. There's so much life and love that went into these pages and story here (this is really noticeable since I'm reading another series by Mull that just recently finished). The characters and story really accumulate here. I'm impatiently awaiting for the 4th book, hopefully I'll have it by Thursday.

Sorry for the mini reviews lately, I'm just not really up for long winded one
Thomas
Sep 08, 2008 Thomas rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Young adult and up
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Seth is growing up and making better decisions. Brandon has fallen into a writer's trap of alternating story lines between two primary characters. And finally, the series became so-so.

All that said, Grip of the Shadow Plague was another good read from the Fablehaven series for young adult readers and should keep their interest. Both my wife and I agree that this will start to appeal more to boys with Seth's new-found "wisdom" (and I use quotes because he isn't there yet, but well on his way).

If
Garrett
I think I like this book the best so far out of the series. It felt more complete and whole somehow. I assume it is at least partly because Brandon is becoming a better writer. But I think it also has to do with an improved plot structure and more intense, realistic conflict.

Setting: Still mostly at Fablehaven, but with explorations of even more of the area. Also, Kendra does get to go to a meeting of a secret society (held in a house like a castle) and then to another preserve in Arizona. So, f
Jill
We've just really liked this series. The books are a lot of fun, exciting, creative, visual, and I feel like they bring up really great discussion topics with the kids. We get to talk about tricky things like Do bad creatures need to be destroyed, or do they play a necessary part in an environment. That can go from the reintroduction of predator species to free speech discussions. We talk about rules and when you might have to break them and consequences. We talk about strengths and weaknesses o ...more
Francis
Cada uno mejor que el anterior.

Continúa justo donde dejamos a nuestros personajes. Han descubierto la posible traición de uno de los principales líderes de los mundos mágicos y todo parece descontrolarse. Fablehaven se encuentra sumido en el caos. Una grave maldición asola sus tierras y a todos los habitantes del lugar.

Este volumen nos habla de amistad, superación y sobre todo sacrificio. Vuelven a tomar importancia personajes desaparecidos y otros nuevos muy originales.

Me ha encantado conocer a
David
David Missry
Form I (Green)
Core Reading
11/1/14

Trust and Traitors
The book Fablehaven Grip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon Mull shows how you can never trust anyone aside from family. Fablehaven's location is unknown and must be kept a secret. This journey and adventure is told in the eyes of the author, and the author's perspective is omniscient. Kendra and Seth are back at Fablehaven with their grandpa and grandma among others and have fallen upon dark times. The Society of the Evening Star i
Nick
Book Review of Fablehaven: Grip of The Shadow Plague.

The book Fablehaven: Grip of The Shadow Plague is a book that I would recommend to any reader interested in reading about a fantasy full of magical creatures, deception, and trust. Their are 2 main characters across this series, and they prove once again that sometimes the only thing you need to persevere is trust in one another.
This time around the kids are faced a danger from within, instead of an external horror. Something is wrong at Fa
Bailee
This book is complete fantasy!!! I love itto death! If you like faeries, centaurs, or satyrs, you should definetly read!!!
Ruth
Gave it 3 stars, not for any specific reason. I think the novelty may be wearing off but also Brandon's writing style at times is so laboriously dull it drives me nuts. "Kendra picked up her bags and walked up the 3 steps to the porch. Then she placed her duffel bag and backpack down on the threshold." Maybe he's got a neurosis about bags, I don't know, it's not pervasive--just at times usually when leaving or arriving or entering or exiting a vehicle, but it really is too much.

Content-wise I wa
Tianna
Mary Brayton
This book is about the second summer of Kendra and Seth's visit to Fablehaven, a place that their grandparents live. The discovered in the first book that their grandparents were the guardians of mythical creatures, like fairies, satyrs, centaurs, and more. Kendra learned in the second book that she was fairy kind meaning that she had special powers given to her from the Fairy Queen. She becomes one of the Knights of the Dawn in this book, and they try to retrieve another artifact. Kendra and th ...more
Kristin Mchenry
The Fablehaven series was, in my opinion, the best fantasy series since Harry Potter. This underlooked series began with an unlikely pair of protagonists, a sister and a nosy younger brother who won't follow the rules. The magic of this story unfolds slowly, as Kendra and Seth discover things for themselves, and that heightens the excitement. The series progresses with switchbacks, reroutes, and changed alliances. Mull does an amazing job of character development, and when characters switch alle ...more
04KarleeM
I read Fablehaven Grip of the Shadow Plague, written in 2008 by Brandon Mull. Fablehaven Grip of the shadow plague is intended for a audience of kids in the grade 9th -12th with 473 pages. The main problem in Fablehaven grip of the shadow plague is that there is a strange plague that has taken over all of the creatures that live at Fablehaven turning creatures of light into creatures of darkness. Fablehave grip of the shadow plague, takes place at Fablehaven at the lake where all of the creatur ...more
Turtle
Jun 10, 2012 Turtle rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: I wouldn't recommend it
Recommended to Turtle by: My Uncle
Sam A
Grip of the Shadow Plague was an amazing book! It started when Seth, Kendra’s (the main character) brother, and Doren and Newel, who are satyrs and Seth’s best friends, go to steal some gold from a race, called the nipsies. Nipsies are incredibly small fairies, so they were divided into 7 kingdoms inside their small hill. They find the nipsies, who are usually peaceful, were at war.
Seth reports this to his grandfather, the owner of Fablehaven, where this all takes place. Fablehaven is a preserv
Eilis
I'm consistently torn between giving this series a 3 and a 4, because my real evaluation is a 3.5; however, in this particular case, I'm going to round down, because the author's questionable depiction of the Native Americans of Lost Mesa irked me.

The series is still interesting enough that I keep reading, however, but I'm not sure that I can really pinpoint why. The main characters are interesting enough, and it's interesting to see how the author goes crazy with the deus ex machina in ways tha
Robert
Brandon Mull has delivered more of the same with book three of this series, which is just what we wanted.

The plot moved along at a good clip, keeping us involved and engaged.

The characters were real and true to their previous actions. It was a lot of fun to discover along with the kids their unique talents and abilities.

Reading aloud to Emily, I had to pause and laugh quite a few times at the interplay between Seth and Kendra, and between them and the adults.

I loved picking out and following
Sreeparna
This book is amazing.The series is getting better and better with each book.I was already in love with the series before even starting this one.This one exceeds my expectations.
This time there were more mysteries,more magic,more complexity and of course it was more satisfactory.
Kendra was discovering her abilities as a fairykind and Seth was becoming more matured with each book.Actually I liked Seth better than Kendra.Kendra depended a lot on her special powers but without significant powers lik
Russ
A page turner like the second book of this series. It was very difficult for me to put this one down as you go from one adventure to the next. There seems to be no end to Brandon Mull's imagination and creativity. I love the "Lost Mesa" adventure as well as the mystery of the "Shadow Plague". Great characters, I loved getting to know the infamous Patton.

There were a few things that I wanted to be different in the book (I'm picky, I know). The way you are left with the Sphinx dilemma at the end o
Sommer
The first book I thought was just okay, the second a little better. Grip of the Shadow Plague was fantastic. I have yet to read the last two but I can't imagine them being better. There were so many plot twists and surprises that made it such a page turner. I was able to work out on my elliptical for 50 minutes while reading this without it even feeling like work because I was so into the story. I can't wait to start reading the fourth.
Daniel Poulsen
In this book, there is a mysterious darkness overcoming the creatures of Fablehaven. It is up to Seth and Kendra to fix it. I read this book because I had already read the previous two books and wanted to read all the series. I liked the amount of action in the book. I did not like the repetitiveness of it. My overall impression of it was a good book for teenagers and younger. I would recommend it to anyone under 18. There was no offensive material.
Natalie
It was on this book that I realized this series was just as good as Harry Potter! The entire series has extremely high vocabulary and I have to ask what words mean every 5 minutes. So many things in this book made me feel so happy inside, yet the book was sad. I loved it though and finished it a while ago, only just got to reviewing it though! After this book I tried all day to get to the school library to get the next one!
Christina
YAY!!! It's finally here. Actually it came on the 22nd through the mail, but I gave it to Carl for his B-day so he didn't open it until the 27th. And so, since he is still reading the Dark Materials Trilogy. he told me I could read this before him. Really, he's mine ladies, I found him first!

Whew, just finished the book last night. Of course they were not able to wrap everything up in this one book, so now I have to wait for the next one. Well, at least it has a title already, so it can't be tha
Amy
Patrick
Wow! This series is on a roll. I was on the waiting list for about 4 months for this one. This is one of my favorite 3 or 4 young adult series. It's right up there with Harry Potter, The Bartimaeus Trilogy, and...not much else up this high. Maybe Gregor the Overlander...

The characters are believable, there's always action but it is fresh each time, the plot twists and suspense are awesome, it's incredibly creative--I just love this series! The story slowly expands each book in a neat way. It sta
Olivia
FableHaven 5 65 Mar 18, 2014 11:41AM
Grip of the shadow plague 2 13 Oct 21, 2013 08:59PM
Grip of the shadow plague 3 17 Oct 21, 2013 08:58PM
Grip of the shadow plague 3 19 Oct 18, 2013 04:18PM
  • Leven Thumps and the Eyes of the Want (Leven Thumps, #3)
  • The Horn of Moran (Adventurers Wanted, #2)
  • Feathered Serpent, Part 2 (Tennis Shoes, #4)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
  • Land Keep (Farworld, #2)
  • Secrets of New Forest Academy (Janitors, #2)
  • Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (Alcatraz, #2)
  • The Blade of Shattered Hope (The 13th Reality, #3)
  • Widow's Revenge (Wesley Mackey, #2)
"Brandon Mull resides in a happy little valley near the mouth of a canyon with his wife and three children. He spent two years living in the Atacama Desert of Northern Chile where he learned Spanish and juggling. He once won a pudding eating contest in the park behind his grandma’s house, earning a gold medal. Brandon is the author of the New York Times bestselling Fablehaven series and The Candy ...more
More about Brandon Mull...
Fablehaven (Fablehaven, #1) Secrets of the Dragon Sanctuary (Fablehaven, #4) Keys to the Demon Prison (Fablehaven, #5) Rise of the Evening Star (Fablehaven, #2) A World Without Heroes (Beyonders, #1)

“When jumping is the sole option, you jump, and try to make it work.” 203 likes
“The only thing that would make her jealous would be if I led a parade riding a unicorn while ballerinas sang love songs.” 137 likes