Start by marking “Night Owl” as Want to Read:
Night Owl

Night Owl

Night Owl loves the nighttime! He can see everything, but when he doesn't see Mommy Owl, he starts to listen . . . .

With language that emphasizes sound words and listening skills, this is a reassuring bedtime story for little night owls everywhere.
Published January 27th 2015 by Feiwel & Friends

To ask other readers questions about Night Owl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Owl

Jeimy
Mar 04, 2015 Jeimy rated it it was ok
Can be used to teach onomatopoeia and making inferences.
Goshen PL Childrens
Oct 27, 2016 Goshen PL Childrens rated it it was amazing
Read for Storytime October 26th and 27th
Theme: Spooky Stories

Ms. Laura: This was a cute story for young readers that let's them guess different sounds while owl looks for it's mom.
Margie
The number three is commonly found in folklore. As a storytelling technique it supplies a cadence to the narrative. Listeners and readers seem to gravitate to this rhythm as if it's wired into their DNA passed on from generation to generation.

Believing good things come in threes, the three most recent years have provided younger readers with a trio of charming titles. Early Bird (Feiwel And Friends, January 28, 2014), Night Owl (Feiwel And Friends, January 27, 2015 and Cat Nap (Feiwel And Frie
Chris
Aug 31, 2016 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
I recently read an advanced reader copy of Night Owl.

The bold, deep purple hues of the pages' background set off the tangerine-orange color the Night Owl. This color combination propels the owl off the page, making this a good choice for large storytime audiences. The text, while simple, is effective in it's storytelling. The color difference between narrative text and the sounds the owl hears will be appreciated during read-a-louds. A good choice for evening PJ storytimes. Good for ages 2-4.
Adrienne Furness
This is so many things I've seen before--the owl up at night, looking for mom--but I'm still charmed. Yuly's thick black lines and silhouettes are great for night. I love the deep blues. Night Owl himself is adorable. I like the way he focuses on the night sounds and finds what they are--that's different. For some reason, the train going "toooooooooooooooot" cracks me up, as does the startled look on the owl's face when it thunders. Fine book for a two-year-old.
Becky B
Little Owl is looking for his mommy. He listens to the sounds in the night, searching for just the right sound of his mom.

Simply worded and illustrated, however, this does distinguish sounds a little more than the average sound book. It says the cricket sound is too high, the frog croak too low, etc. So it does introduce some ways to distinguish sounds in addition to the onomatopoeia. Cute and simple.
Barbara
Strikingly colorful illustrations feature a young owl who enjoys listening to the sounds of nature and trying to identify who is making those sounds. With each sound, he wonders if it might be his mother. Even though a storm comes, he feels safe and sound because he knows Mommy Owl is nearby--and of course, she is! This one is perfect for sharing with youngsters since it reassures them that they might be alone for a little while, but there is nothing to fear, even from unfamiliar sounds.
Nikki Glassley
May 16, 2016 Nikki Glassley rated it it was amazing
I love everything Toni Yuly writes. All of her books are based on common phrases (Night Owl, Cat Nap, Early Bird) and emphasize different kinds of language. Night Owl uses lots of wonderful sound words as a little owl tries to find his mom in a dark forest. The illustrations have a wonderful contrast and the text is simple and short, making it a great toddler book.
Kristina Jean Lareau
Feb 13, 2016 Kristina Jean Lareau rated it did not like it
Shelves: picturebooks, animals
With all the really great owl stories available, this one does not add anything original or particularly well-created. The orange owl often looks like it has a variety of crazy hairstyles when set against the black background. Owl is searching for Momma Owl and really this story is just lackluster in both concept and execution.
Earl
Jul 29, 2016 Earl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read Toni Yuly’s books in preparation for her visit to our store in August. Her books are great for toddlers and perfect for story time. I was very impressed by the simplicity of her stories but they weren't at all simplistic.
Sharon Lawler
Feb 07, 2015 Sharon Lawler rated it liked it
A baby owl listens to sounds in the night, and tries to identify his mom. Reminiscent of other stories about baby animals looking for their mothers. From the copyright page: "Illustrations were rendered in pen and ink and digital media."
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
3 stars

When Night Owl can't find Mommy Owl, he searches frantically for her, taking in all of the night time sounds. Simple, blocky illustrations introduce readers to common night sounds, like frogs, crickets, and even the rain.
Garren
Jan 17, 2016 Garren rated it it was ok
A book for younger kids that combines the "what is going to be revealed on the new page that we're hinting at" genre, with the "where's mom? we miss her!" genre. A group of kids that hadn't seen this before were slow on the animal sounds, but quick to shout "noooooo!" at night owl's bad guesses. :)
Traci Bold
Jun 15, 2015 Traci Bold rated it really liked it
Poor little night owl is missing his Mommy. Where did she go in the dark? can little owl find her by listening to the sounds of the night?

So many questions for such a little bird.

A cute picture book story from Toni Yuly for bed time.

Published by Feiwel and Friends.
Jennifer Miera
Cute and basic. Only one factual error - woodpeckers drumming at night. Woodpeckers, like most other birds, roost at night. Kids won't know this, but I'm a stickler for factual correctness - even in picture books. When a book isn't pure fantasy, I want the story to be at least loosely fact-based.
Marta
May 18, 2015 Marta rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Great interactive read-aloud! Plenty of opportunity to invite kids to guess what could be making the different noises throughout the book. Also great for developing sense of sound and the words used to describe the different sounds we hear.
Cidney Mayes
Feb 18, 2015 Cidney Mayes rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Very similar to "Little Owl Lost" and "Are You My Mother?" Simple and bold illustrations, a great storytime book.
Juliana Lee
Jan 14, 2016 Juliana Lee rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Fun little bedtime story sure to please both Mommy Owl and Night Owl. http://julianaleewriter.com/books-ali...
Kelsey Yates
May 20, 2015 Kelsey Yates rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-own
An adorable little story examining different sounds. My favorite moment is when the text reads "Night Owl is brave." and he doesn't look brave in the picture.
Inma
Feb 18, 2015 Inma rated it liked it
while a simple story that has been done before the illustrations and simple text so
would be perfect for bedtime stories and toddler time.
Paula
A baby owl flies through the night, listening carefully to different sounds as he tries to find Mommy Owl.
Kate
Aug 31, 2016 Kate rated it really liked it
I really liked this one! The illustrations are cute and I love any book that gets me to make animal sounds.
Torie
Torie rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Maddie Jaques
Nov 09, 2015 Maddie Jaques rated it really liked it
Like how short and sweet this one is. Less words means we actually finish books.
Wendy

****

From Saffron:
****
Michelle Parker
Michelle Parker rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2016
molliekay
molliekay rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2015
Lacy
Lacy rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2015
  • George in the Dark
  • I'm The Best
  • Peek-a-Zoo!
  • There Is a Tribe of Kids
  • Miss Brooks' Story Nook (where tales are told and ogres are welcome)
  • Troll and the Oliver