Start by marking “Dogs Are People, Too: A Collection of Cartoons to Make Your Tail Wag” as Want to Read:
Dogs Are People, Too: A Collection of  Cartoons to Make Your Tail Wag

Dogs Are People, Too: A Collection of Cartoons to Make Your Tail Wag

Over the years spent creating his nationally syndicated panel Speed Bump, Reuben Award–winning cartoonist Dave Coverly has seen trends in which themes are the most popular. The perennial favorite, though, is dogs.

With categories like working dogs, techie dogs, badly behaving dogs, and profiles of dogs both famous and not-so-famous, this hilarious cartoon collection is perf
Published February 10th 2015 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

Until Tuesday by Luis Carlos MontalvánA Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce CameronMarley and Me by John GroganThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Call of the Wild by Jack London
Top Dog Reads
298th out of 407 books — 537 voters

More lists with this book...

Barbara
Mar 03, 2015 Barbara rated it really liked it
Needing a pick-me-up to lift my spirits and give me a break from other, more serious work, I began thumbing through this book and couldn't stop before reading it straight through. Not only does it contain photos and brief tributes to the cartoonist's own canine companions, but it features hilarious several hilarious strips that show dogs doing what they do best. There are wise and appropriate remarks from dogs as well as some sight gags, including one poor pup that just keeps scooting across the ...more
Allison Herman
Oct 09, 2015 Allison Herman rated it it was amazing
A laugh-out-loud collection of dog cartoons from a man who has never lived without a dog in his life. Interspersed through the cartoons are little stories about the author's various dogs. I loved reading these short essays as much as I loved the comics. I bought this for the Children's Graphic Novel section in my library, but I know a few adults I will be recommending this to as well.
Edward Sullivan
Feb 07, 2015 Edward Sullivan rated it really liked it
Pages and pages of tail-wagging hilarity!
Rod Brown
Nov 12, 2016 Rod Brown rated it it was ok
This collection is more "heh" than "ha!" There are a couple of funny cartoons here, but most are just generic and bland.
Cameron Masterson
This book was funny because it was about dogs talking like people and they where acting like people
รнαяk αdvσcαтє [lєvi] diรтυяbєd wяiтєя ﴾blαckwαll'ร bαє﴿

This just happened to pass through my hands at work today and I thought it would be cute so I signed it out from the library and read it through. Admittedly, I skipped the really text loaded bits about the author's dogs. I'm sorry, but I was reading it for the cartoons.

All of them were cute; the art is adorable. I related to some more than others given the two dogs I have but I can appreciate them all to some extent. Reminds me a lot of the Far Side cartoons.

Kelly
Jan 20, 2016 Kelly rated it really liked it
Are you a dog lover? Do you enjoy comics? Do you have a sense of humor on par with a ten-year-old (as I do)? If so, then you will fully enjoy Dogs are People Too. Coverly’s single-panel graphics will delight and amuse. In addition, each chapter is concluded with a relatable story about a dog owned by the author—be it Shag, Tigger, or Steve. Marketed to the middle school crowd, this book is one that will be enjoyed by anyone who doesn’t take life (or themselves) too seriously. More importantly, ...more
Margie
Apr 24, 2015 Margie rated it really liked it
Some of these cartoons/captions are laugh out loud hilarious. Great food for thought if you want to know what your dog might be thinking, these will give you some possible insight. I especially liked the personal stories included about the author's own dogs/experiences. He knows of what he draws/speaks. And the book also includes some useful factual information at the end so there is knowledge as well as hilarity all rolled into one neat package.
Dawn
May 07, 2015 Dawn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphic-novel
Mostly amusing, though some miss the mark, and some themes are a little too repetitive. A couple hit close to home though, particularly the dog refusing to shake because "we already met, you idiot", and the dogs complimenting each other on their scary costumes, one a vacuum, the other a thunder cloud. :)
Bethe
Jun 12, 2015 Bethe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dogs, 5-star
bookaday #29. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this one, and so will any dog lover! catchy chapter titles, hysterical cartoons about dogs with wisdom for canines and humans alike. Sprinkled between chapters are gently funny homages to the artist's dogs.
Cindy Dobrez
Apr 10, 2015 Cindy Dobrez rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-reads, comics
If you have a dog, you will love this. If, like me, you have "grand dogs" you will still love this. Dave's comics and commentary about his childhood dogs will make you shake your head in agreement, and laugh.
Amber
A lot of these comics made me laugh out loud. And the title says it all!

#ReadHarder

Task 23: A book published this year.
Lupe Dominguez
Dec 20, 2015 Lupe Dominguez rated it it was amazing
Super cute! Totally makes me want to get a doggie!! I have two cats so yea. Probably won't happen anytime soon. Lol!
Christine D
Apr 13, 2015 Christine D rated it really liked it
very amusing, I read this at lunch and went back to work smiling :) And then I showed my coworker so the amusement continued.
Nicole
May 17, 2016 Nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-books
I love dogs, and I loved this! Great humor! And I loved how the author included pics and background stories on his life with dogs growing up.
Michelle
Dec 14, 2015 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Wonderful entertainment.It made me sentimental about my dog who passed away last year too.The best of both worlds.And yes....they are more like us than we realize.
Beth
Jun 22, 2015 Beth rated it really liked it
Reminds me of a dog-centric version of The Far Side. Clever and funny. What more could you ask for?
Pam P
Sep 10, 2015 Pam P rated it really liked it
A fun book for lovers of dogs and cartoons. What makes this book unique are the stories of the dogs in Dave Coverly's life that are throughout the book. Very entertaining!
Dee
Sep 12, 2015 Dee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor, dogs
If I had a tail it would be wagging. Thanks Julie I needed a good laugh. A must read for dog lovers.
Jenna
Dec 30, 2015 Jenna rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, adult
Cute illustrations and silly comics, in the style of Far Side. It got a bit much by the end of it, but it was still entertaining, some panels more than others.
Julie
Aug 12, 2015 Julie rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Julie by: BL *
Shelves: animals, pets
This book lived up to a rave review in Booklist. I totally enjoyed it. It's a quick read and very evident that the author knows dogs. Any dog lover will adore it!
Jennifer Edwards
Jul 24, 2014 Jennifer Edwards rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, middle-grade
Laugh out loud funny. I've never had a pet and thought this was hilarious. Kids and adults of all ages will enjoy the humor and back story of Dave Coverly's pet dogs.
Lili
Lili rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2015
Callie
Callie rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2016
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2015
Sandy
Apr 07, 2016 Sandy rated it it was amazing
I love dogs and funny cartoons about dogs are the best. And he includes stories of his own dogs.
Janet
Janet rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Kathy
Jul 21, 2015 Kathy rated it really liked it
If you like dogs, this is a must read. So funny!
Tathariell
Tathariell rated it liked it
Apr 13, 2016
Erica
Erica rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2015