Start by marking “Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)” as Want to Read:
Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)

Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians #7)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  476 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
A NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER

The myth continues in the tenth year of the fabled Trojan War where two infamous gods of war go to battle. The spotlight is thrown on Ares, god of war, and primarily focuses on his battle with the clever and powerful Athena. As the battle culminates and the gods try to one-up each other to win, the human death toll mounts. Who will win this epic
Published January 27th 2015 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Ares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ares

First Second Books
Feb 10, 2015 First Second Books marked it as first-second-publications
We're so proud to have published George O'Connor's latest Olympians graphic novel, ARES: BRINGER OF WAR.

It features Ares! And it also features a lot of war, as that is what he's the god of.

This is probably the bloodiest of all the Olympians books yet -- how fun is that? And you get to see all of the Trojan War in a most super-awesome way.

If you're a fan of this series, you should definitely check this new volume out!
Melissa Mcavoy
Filled with violent action, impressively erudite, and packed with wit, George O’Connor’s latest installment in his Olympians series, Ares: Bringer of War, tells the story of the Trojan War. As O’Connor freely admits in his engaging author’s note, “you’d have to be a lunatic to adapt the Illiad into a 66 page graphic novel.” Not only is that precisely what O’Connor has done, he has pulled it off beautifully. Handsomely colored, graphically strong panels and inspired dialogue intrigue, excite, app ...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Jan 26, 2015 OpenBookSociety.com rated it really liked it
Shelves: omar

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Omar

This volume is dedicated to the god of war, Ares, and the re-tell of the Iliad - the Trojan War. The war that started with a bet between goddesses, combining love and anger, but mostly, this war is an inner war that has been in the brewing for a long time among the gods up in Mount Olympus.

Author George O’Connor shows us in this new installment of the Olympians series, how the gods played a major role in the Trojan War. W
Ethan
Nov 19, 2015 Ethan rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Ethan by: no one
Book:Ares Bringer of War
Author:George O' Conner
By:Ethan Santiago

This book is about a god that is the son of Zeus named Ares.Which takes place during the trojan and greeks war.Where Ares sides with the trojans and his sister Athena sides with the greeks.This first part takes place in the mountain of olympus where they argue over which side should win and which is better.Also,they fight physically and mentally.They fight over and over and then they stop and look at the battle field.

Now the story o
Nickcole
Jul 02, 2016 Nickcole rated it it was amazing
Rating: 5

George O'Connor has real talent with his drawings and the story line. I love that it keeps you engaged and you also get a bit of a history lesson on Greek Mythology.
Kellee
George O'Connor is a master at making mythology accessible and interesting. In this Ares focused retelling of the Trojan War, we see a more humanized side of the blood-thirsty god of War. My students who are fans of the other books of the series, will definitely enjoy this one as well.
(Also, if anyone questions if graphic novels are complex or not, they should read this one!)
Tzu-Mainn Chen
Feb 02, 2015 Tzu-Mainn Chen rated it it was amazing
I am a traditionalist, so I can be a bit picky when it comes to myths. It irritates me to no end when a book talks about 'Hercules' in the context of Greek mythology ('Hercules' is the Roman name; it should be 'Heracles'), and watching the movie 'Troy' was an... unpleasant experience.

This is to all say that when I read George O'Connor's 'Olympians' series to my daughter, I was prepared to interject a wealth of corrections and clarifications into the narrative. But none was needed. Instead I fell
Annette
Dec 30, 2014 Annette rated it really liked it
ARES: BRINGER OF WAR by George O’Connor is the latest addition to the popular OLYMPIANS graphic novel series designed for middle grades and young adults.

Although each of the graphic novels in the OLYMPIANS series stand alone, those new to Greek mythology may want to read them in order because ARES assumes that readers are familiar with the backstory of the gods. Each volume focuses on one of the gods in the Olympic pantheon including Zeus, Athena, Hera, Hades, Poseidon, and Aphrodite. In additio
Nicola Mansfield
Jan 29, 2015 Nicola Mansfield rated it it was amazing
Another outstanding volume in George O'Connor's "Olympians" series. Book 7 brings us the story of Ares, the god of war, and the Trojan War. If you've read this far in the series you know what to expect with the artwork and O'Connor brings the same magnificent illustration to the table once again. This story is quite a complex one and brings together all the gods we've met in the other books, plus minor ones who've popped up here and there. They are all assembled watching as the Greeks and Trojan ...more
Pamela
Jan 18, 2015 Pamela rated it really liked it
Forgive me, George O'Connor, for I did sin: I was way harsh on Aphrodite before I'd read the rest of the series. Now, I've done a total 180 and I absolutely adore these graphic novel retellings of Greek myth. It's clear that O'Connor loves the subject matter, and I really like that the gods and goddesses are as diverse as the people who would have worshiped them.

Ares isn't exactly the most popular god on the block, although I did find Rick Riordan's incarnation of him as a biker dude kind of spo
Kara
Nov 14, 2015 Kara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel, myth

Another brilliant retelling from O’Connor. Here, we focus tightly on the end of the Trojan war with an emphasis on the gods involvement. It’s the Iliad told Marvel style. Some of the fighting reaches a point of hilarity, such as when Ares whines about getting stabbed (dude – you’re immortal!) and then immediately plunges into tragedy when characters you have just started to care about actually die, and the whole time you are on the edge of your seat watching the fighting both on and off the batt
Barbara
Once again, George O'Connor manages to bring mythology to life in engaging fashion. In this graphic novel, part of his Olympians series, the focus is on the volatile, bloodthirsty Ares. As the gods and goddesses watch on--and sometimes intercede--the Trojan War continues, shedding blood on both sides. They are portrayed as argumentative, petty, and jealous of one another. Somehow, as the story come to an end, readers may feel some compassion for Ares, the never-satisfied god of war, for the humi ...more
Dave
Feb 13, 2016 Dave rated it it was ok
The Trojan War from the POV of the gods. This volume brought to light a few of the mortal combatants in the war on both Greek and Trojan side who had been faceless until now but I suspect there are other books out there that achieve that task better. It seems to me it took slight liberties with the gods' motives while still remaining true to the classic myths.
Tracey
Ares doesn't really shine the brightest in this story but he does get the best comeback line to Zeus at the end. Everyone in this story isn't very likable, least of all Ares. But you can kind of see where he's coming from and are mostly on his side by the end of the war.
Vote4Trump2016 (Pob)
Ares definitely has anger issues. The Olympians have to find him a therapist, or else, he would probably lose it if a 12 year-old killed him in CS:GO or Call of Duty for the 50th time, unlocking an achievement! RAGE QUIT!!!
Angello Adrien
Feb 22, 2015 Angello Adrien rated it it was amazing
That was actually a very good read.i really love the side of ares.despite his brutally and his lust for war.there is another side to him.
Mary Lee
Jan 25, 2015 Mary Lee rated it really liked it
Watch for my review on the blog tour for this book -- Jan. 27 on A Year of Reading.
Stephanie Gamache
Mar 30, 2016 Stephanie Gamache rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 13 and up
Shelves: etec-545-class-3
O'Connor, G. (2015). Ares: Bringer of war (Olympians). New York, NY: First Second.
Target Audience: Grades 6 and up: Ages 13 and up
Genre: Myth

George O’Connor retails the story of Homer’s Iliad through the eyes of the Gods, the Olympians, but more specifically through the eyes of the God of War, Ares. Using the rich imagery and quick dialogue of a graphic novel as his medium, George O’Connor takes the story of the Trojan War and turns it into the battle between the Gods and Goddesses who are watch
Michael
Mar 18, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it
[Probably more a 4.5]

I really adore this Greek myth retelling project George O'Connor is publishing, and this title is nearly as good as the best in the series. It's few problems are due more to the fact that O'Connor is boiling down Homer's Iliad into such a short space. Can't imagine how this installment will read as a standalone for kids who know nothing of the Trojan war.

Except here's the caveat: I can't imagine that there are that many kids coming to this without reading the entire series.
Ian
Jan 26, 2015 Ian rated it really liked it
Another installment in the Olympians series of comics this book as I am sure you can tell is based on Ares, see god of chaotic war. Normally these books focus primarily on the god or goddess the book is named after but in this one George O'Connor shows the conflict of the deities as seen in the story of the Iliad which was not a bad idea considering it would make sense Ares would be involved with influencing such a conflict but it just did not have the same feel of some of the other books I have ...more
Dolly
Aug 18, 2015 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: middle grade readers
This is the seventh book in the Olympians series of graphic novels by George O'Connor. It's an entertaining and dramatically illustrated version of the classic Greek mythology.

It features the story of The Iliad, with interaction between the Gods and Goddesses and the humans in the middle of the Trojan War. It also shows more about the interactions between the Gods and Goddesses and their relationships with one another.

Our girls love Greek Mythology and we've read a lot of books that feature va
Melissa Somoza
Jul 25, 2015 Melissa Somoza rated it it was amazing
Karen
May 11, 2015 Karen rated it liked it
Superhero comics meet Greek mythology in this action-packed graphic novel retelling of the Iliad that focuses on the gods' role in the Trojan War. Book 7 in the Olympians series, I read it as a stand-alone and that was where I went wrong because I was confused about which picture represented each god - until I got to the G(r)eek Notes at the end. Don't skip the notes! The author's enthusiasm for the story is infectious and told in a conversational style that kids will love. Here's an example:
"G
Carla
Jan 31, 2016 Carla rated it really liked it
The art work in this book is amazing. And I loved the way the author compared Ares and Athena - explaining how they're both gods of war, but in different ways. The arguing among the gods got annoying and it was hard to follow who they supported and who they didn't - but I think that's more a shortcoming of Greek mythology rather than the book itself.

Amazon review:
Fantasy Literature
Ares: Bringer of War is George O'Connor's sixth title in his OLYMPIANS series of graphic retellings of Greek myths for younger readers. Short take? I'm wondering why the Hades I don't own the first five, an oversight I will quickly rectify. Long take below . . .

I absolutely loved this book. Beginning with its opening segment on the distinction to be made between the two gods of War in the Greek pantheon: Athena and Ares. O'Connor begins with Athena, whom he calls the "the goddess of martial skil
Tera
Jan 04, 2015 Tera rated it really liked it
Ares was definitely a change of pace in comparison to the other books in the series. Instead of focusing on the stories where the god is the main character, Ares is shown on the sidelines and how he handles things. Overall the story was interesting and the graphics were again well done.
arc from NetGalley
Hann
Jan 16, 2016 Hann rated it it was ok
Not as good as the other's of this series. Part of it is I don't really care for Ares, but there's more to it. I didn't care how short the story was, and that it was all about the Trojan war.

There as absolutely no origin story about Ares, and I feel like there are more interesting stories about him than this. It kind of feels like maybe the author didn't care for him either so he half assed it.

The art was a little bland, but it seems like it was mostly because of the setting. I also found it h
Stuart
Feb 07, 2015 Stuart rated it it was amazing
O'Connor continues his winning streak with volume 7 of his comic book retelling of the Greek myths. ARES exhibits a lot of the maturity of its predecessor, APHRODITE, and O'Connor's truncated version of the Trojan War is effective in his decision to focus more on the gods than most modern versions have done (if they have included them at all). He also continues to build his uber-plot, which seems to be the slow turn of Zeus from valiant rebel to tyrannical (and yet sad) overlord. Good use of the ...more
Andy Shuping
Feb 01, 2015 Andy Shuping rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Ares. The god of war. And some would say the god of destruction and chaos. But no, he is more than that. When the best laid plans of war go awry, when Athena’s logic has left the playing field, that is when Ares enters into the playing field. He brings forth blood lust, discord and strife. But more than that, when all seems lost and your enemies about to overwhelm you, Ares gives his power and strength to let you make one last stand. That is Ares.
In this, the seventh entry into the Olympians ser
Misty
I reviewed these books basically as a whole on the boxed set.
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #4)
  • Cleopatra in Space, Book Two: The Thief and the Sword
  • Mighty Jack
  • Fable Comics
  • Dragons Beware! (Chronicles of Claudette #2)
  • Game On! (Squish, #5)
  • Lastman, Tome 2
  • The Fall of the House of West
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • Last of the Sandwalkers
  • Delilah Dirk and the King's Shilling
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • How Mirka Met a Meteorite (Hereville #2)
  • Science Comics: Coral Reefs: Cities of the Ocean
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Lunch Lady and the Video Game Villain (Lunch Lady #9)
George O'Connor is the author of several picture books, including the New York Times bestseller Kapow!, Kersplash, and Sally and the Some-thing. JOURNEY INTO MOHAWK COUNTRY was his first graphic novel, a long-held dream that weaves together his passion for history and ongoing research into Native American life. He's also the author/illustrator of a new picture book, If I Had a Raptor.
He lives in
More about George O'Connor...

Olympians (8 books)
  • Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1)
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)
  • Apollo: The Brilliant One (Olympians, #8)