Start by marking “Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)” as Want to Read:
Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians, #7)

Ares: Bringer of War (Olympians #7)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  114 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The myth continues in thetenth year of the fabled Trojan War wheretwo infamous gods of war go to battle. The spotlight is thrown on Ares, god of war,and primarily focuses on his battle withthe clever and powerful Athena. As the battle culminates and the gods try to one-up each other to win, the human death toll mounts.Who will win this epic clash of power? And how many wil ...more
Published January 27th 2015 by First Second

To ask other readers questions about Ares, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ares

First Second Books
Feb 10, 2015 First Second Books marked it as first-second-publications
We're so proud to have published George O'Connor's latest Olympians graphic novel, ARES: BRINGER OF WAR.

It features Ares! And it also features a lot of war, as that is what he's the god of.

This is probably the bloodiest of all the Olympians books yet -- how fun is that? And you get to see all of the Trojan War in a most super-awesome way.

If you're a fan of this series, you should definitely check this new volume out!
OpenBookSociety.com

Brought to you by OBS reviewer Omar

This volume is dedicated to the god of war, Ares, and the re-tell of the Iliad - the Trojan War. The war that started with a bet between goddesses, combining love and anger, but mostly, this war is an inner war that has been in the brewing for a long time among the gods up in Mount Olympus.

Author George O’Connor shows us in this new installment of the Olympians series, how the gods played a major role in the Trojan War. W
Tzu-mainn Chen
I am a traditionalist, so I can be a bit picky when it comes to myths. It irritates me to no end when a book talks about 'Hercules' in the context of Greek mythology ('Hercules' is the Roman name; it should be 'Heracles'), and watching the movie 'Troy' was an... unpleasant experience.

This is to all say that when I read George O'Connor's 'Olympians' series to my daughter, I was prepared to interject a wealth of corrections and clarifications into the narrative. But none was needed. Instead I fell
Annette
ARES: BRINGER OF WAR by George O’Connor is the latest addition to the popular OLYMPIANS graphic novel series designed for middle grades and young adults.

Although each of the graphic novels in the OLYMPIANS series stand alone, those new to Greek mythology may want to read them in order because ARES assumes that readers are familiar with the backstory of the gods. Each volume focuses on one of the gods in the Olympic pantheon including Zeus, Athena, Hera, Hades, Poseidon, and Aphrodite. In additio
Angello Adrien
That was actually a very good read.i really love the side of ares.despite his brutally and his lust for war.there is another side to him.
Mary Lee
Watch for my review on the blog tour for this book -- Jan. 27 on A Year of Reading.
Nicola Mansfield
Another outstanding volume in George O'Connor's "Olympians" series. Book 7 brings us the story of Ares, the god of war, and the Trojan War. If you've read this far in the series you know what to expect with the artwork and O'Connor brings the same magnificent illustration to the table once again. This story is quite a complex one and brings together all the gods we've met in the other books, plus minor ones who've popped up here and there. They are all assembled watching as the Greeks and Trojan ...more
Ian
Another installment in the Olympians series of comics this book as I am sure you can tell is based on Ares, see god of chaotic war. Normally these books focus primarily on the god or goddess the book is named after but in this one George O'Connor shows the conflict of the deities as seen in the story of the Iliad which was not a bad idea considering it would make sense Ares would be involved with influencing such a conflict but it just did not have the same feel of some of the other books I have ...more
Fantasy Literature
Ares: Bringer of War is George O'Connor's sixth title in his OLYMPIANS series of graphic retellings of Greek myths for younger readers. Short take? I'm wondering why the Hades I don't own the first five, an oversight I will quickly rectify. Long take below . . .

I absolutely loved this book. Beginning with its opening segment on the distinction to be made between the two gods of War in the Greek pantheon: Athena and Ares. O'Connor begins with Athena, whom he calls the "the goddess of martial skil
Kellee
George O'Connor is a master at making mythology accessible and interesting. In this Ares focused retelling of the Trojan War, we see a more humanized side of the blood-thirsty god of War. My students who are fans of the other books of the series, will definitely enjoy this one as well.
(Also, if anyone questions if graphic novels are complex or not, they should read this one!)
Barbara
Once again, George O'Connor manages to bring mythology to life in engaging fashion. In this graphic novel, part of his Olympians series, the focus is on the volatile, bloodthirsty Ares. As the gods and goddesses watch on--and sometimes intercede--the Trojan War continues, shedding blood on both sides. They are portrayed as argumentative, petty, and jealous of one another. Somehow, as the story come to an end, readers may feel some compassion for Ares, the never-satisfied god of war, for the humi ...more
Tera
Ares was definitely a change of pace in comparison to the other books in the series. Instead of focusing on the stories where the god is the main character, Ares is shown on the sidelines and how he handles things. Overall the story was interesting and the graphics were again well done.
arc from NetGalley
Stuart
O'Connor continues his winning streak with volume 7 of his comic book retelling of the Greek myths. ARES exhibits a lot of the maturity of its predecessor, APHRODITE, and O'Connor's truncated version of the Trojan War is effective in his decision to focus more on the gods than most modern versions have done (if they have included them at all). He also continues to build his uber-plot, which seems to be the slow turn of Zeus from valiant rebel to tyrannical (and yet sad) overlord. Good use of the ...more
Andy Shuping
Ares. The god of war. And some would say the god of destruction and chaos. But no, he is more than that. When the best laid plans of war go awry, when Athena’s logic has left the playing field, that is when Ares enters into the playing field. He brings forth blood lust, discord and strife. But more than that, when all seems lost and your enemies about to overwhelm you, Ares gives his power and strength to let you make one last stand. That is Ares.
In this, the seventh entry into the Olympians ser
Pamela
Forgive me, George O'Connor, for I did sin: I was way harsh on Aphrodite before I'd read the rest of the series. Now, I've done a total 180 and I absolutely adore these graphic novel retellings of Greek myth. It's clear that O'Connor loves the subject matter, and I really like that the gods and goddesses are as diverse as the people who would have worshiped them.

Ares isn't exactly the most popular god on the block, although I did find Rick Riordan's incarnation of him as a biker dude kind of spo
Warren-Newport Public Library
It happens, some what frequently, that I read two different books that overlap content. I just finished reading Kendare Blake's Mortal Gods then picked up O'Connor's most recent in his Olympians series focusing on the Trojan War, Achilles, Odyssus and the rest. I love when that happens.
Besides O'Connor's always superb art, I love the way he adapts these classic Greek myths for a modern audience. The story pops off the page and has depth without being overwhelming for younger audiences. (Amanda)
Becky B
O'Connor summarizes The Iliad in this volume of the Olympians series appropriately named for the god of war, Ares. This volume sees the Olympians at each others' throats as they all take sides while watching in on the Trojan War - and sometimes even doing a little bit more than just watching.

Make sure you read O'Connor's notes in the back. He highlights various parts of The Iliad he included in illustrations but didn't elaborate on in the text. It's actually quite an impressive feat to boil dow
Amanda
Krysta
Note: I received this graphic novel in a giveaway from Goodreads First Reads in exchange for my honest review.

I haven't read many graphic novels, but I really enjoyed this one and am inspired to read more. This is the first one I've read in the Olympians series, and while you don't need to read them in order to understand the story, some background knowledge on the gods would be helpful in understanding the story. The graphics were really good, as was the story. I think I will pick up the other
Paul Allard
This short comic tells of the Greek gods’ involvement on the Trojan War but, unlike Homer’s version, it has the gods, particularly Ares in this case, taking a more active part.

The gods end up fighting among themselves but the Trojan War eventually plays out as Homer intended.

Quite well-told, the comic also has reasonably good artwork. It is quite engaging and entertaining.

Recommended for those who would like a different view of Greek mythology.
Margie
Olympians Ares Bringer of War written and illustrated by George O'Connor is an outstanding volume in an already stunning presentation of the Greek myths. It's a rare thing when mythology is presented in as a compelling form as this. George O'Connor's dedication to this subject is evident on every single page.

My full recommendation: http://librariansquest.blogspot.com/2...
Dan
I absolutely love how each Olympians graphic novel by George O'Connor can be read alone or viewed through the lens of the entire series.

Although I highly recommend reading all of them to develop a deeper appreciation for how well O'Connor has weaved all of these stories together, Ares: Bringer of War offers readers the most complete individual narrative arc of all the Olympian books.

Here we see the Trojan War through the eyes of the gods. Here we see the conflict brewing between Athena and Are
Marjorie Ingall
I've loved the previous installments of this series so much (Hades is my favorite, btw) that this was a huge disappointment. It's a condensed version of The Iliad -- hats off to the ambition? But it means it is crowded and dense and full of a zillion confusing names and fighting and little characterization compared to previous volumes. I do know that there's an audience for it.
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
I didn't like this volume as much as the previous ones. The author decided to take on The Iliad for Ares' story and it became a confusion of names more than once. Unless the reader is already familiar with the story, this would have been a bumbling mess. But the quality of the previous volumes is still there. Looking forward to more in the future.
Library
O'Connor is a brilliant storyteller of the Trojan War! I was enthralled by his use of the story to explain Ares especially in contrast with Athena. In addition to a great graphic novel, O'Connor provides great Author Notes that give additional detail and perspective to the myth.
Kim
Advanced galley received from Netgalley.
As with all of O'Connor's Olympians series, Ares is beautifully rendered. The focus on the story is from The Iliad. It is a bit confusing at times, but overall a great story.
Rebecca
George O'Connor's series about the Greek gods is consistently great with great graphics, concise info about the headlining god or goddess, and a myth featuring the title Olympian.
Kirsten
As a retelling of the Iliad, this is somewhat confusing - but seen as part of the larger series, this fits in well.
Mara
My favorite in the series so far.
I've said it before, I'm not a great fan of graphic novels (my mind just doesn't read that way) but... having said that... This isn't a bad version of the Trojan War, although one might argue that readers would need a deeper understanding of the source material to truly get the who and what of this version.

Copy provided by publisher.
  • Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales: Treaties, Trenches, Mud, and Blood (Nathan Hale's Hazardous Tales, #4)
  • The Dumbest Idea Ever!
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
  • Gaijin: American Prisoner of War
  • The Shadow Hero
  • Comics Squad: Recess!
  • The Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue Presents Macbeth (Stratford Zoo Midnight Revue, #1)
  • The Great American Dust Bowl
  • Astronaut Academy: Re-entry
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • Bluffton: My Summers with Buster Keaton
  • Explorer: The Lost Islands
  • Primates: The Fearless Science of Jane Goodall, Dian Fossey, and Biruté Galdikas
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • Tune: Vanishing Point (Tune, #1)
  • Lunch Lady and the Video Game Villain (Lunch Lady #9)
  • Victory (Resistance, #3)
  • Ichiro
George O'Connor is the author of several picture books, including the New York Times bestseller Kapow!, Kersplash, and Sally and the Some-thing. JOURNEY INTO MOHAWK COUNTRY was his first graphic novel, a long-held dream that weaves together his passion for history and ongoing research into Native American life. He's also the author/illustrator of a new picture book, If I Had a Raptor.
He lives in
More about George O'Connor...

Olympians (7 books)
  • Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1)
  • Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2)
  • Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3)
  • Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4)
  • Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)
  • Aphrodite: Goddess of Love (Olympians, #6)
Zeus: King of the Gods (Olympians, #1) Hades: Lord of the Dead (Olympians, #4) Athena: Grey-Eyed Goddess (Olympians, #2) Hera: The Goddess and her Glory (Olympians, #3) Poseidon: Earth Shaker (Olympians, #5)