Start by marking “Some Hope: Book Three of the Patrick Melrose Novels” as Want to Read:
Some Hope: Book Three of the Patrick Melrose Novels

Some Hope: Book Three of the Patrick Melrose Novels (The Patrick Melrose Novels #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  517 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Some Hope, the third installment in Edward St. Aubyn’s wonderful, wry, and profoundPatrick Melrose Cycle, is centered on a dinner party, attended by the illustrious and profane elite of British society. Patrick, who is now thirty and trying to recover from his addictions, considers becoming a lawyer, having spent most of his inheritance and in need of a job. Some Hope sees ...more
Published May 6th 2014 by Picador

To ask other readers questions about Some Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Hope

Paul
In Friends there's a character called Fun Bobby, everybody loves Fun Bobby, and although Friends was just a sit com, it made a telling point when Fun Bobby realised he was an alcoholic and quit drinking. And he wasn't fun anymore, and Chandler and Ross and Monica didn't want to hang around with him. It was a jarring and truthful note. So Some Hope is where Patrick Melrose is Fun Bobby. He's off the drugs, and like Chandler, Ross and Monica, I thought he just wasn't that much fun any more. Doesn' ...more
Ben Loory
seemed more like a breather in the series than an actual volume. the first book is so twisted and funny, and the second such an incredibly brutal ride... this one felt kinda staid by comparison and even dipped into cliche at times. (yeah, them rich folks is superficial, i get it!) but patrick melrose himself is (somehow) a charming character and his part in the book (though small) really carries it. i'm hoping this turns out to be a turning point and that he'll spring into action in the next boo ...more
Katherine
Some Hope finds it's way back to a similar form as the first novel in the series, Never Mind. While I struggled to get through the second novel, Bad News, fast enough - I was happy to read more of Patrick's thought process, which this installment nearly lacked.

Edward St. Aubyn is an insightful writer. His portrayals of the shallow rich English are hilarious, if a bit copious. Though I was happy to gain some perspective from other characters, the point seemed to exclusively direct towards how aw
Alex Sarll
Goodreads appears - not all that surprisingly - to have conflated its records for the third Patrick Melrose novel, and the omnibus of the first three which goes under the same name. So, for clarity's sake - I'm referring to the third novel here. Which, again, picks up on Patrick some years on from the previous volume, this time reluctantly clean and even more reluctantly attending a ghastly party. There are many truths to be found in St Aubyn's elegant, brittle prose, but the abiding one here is ...more
Antonomasia
Some Hope undoubtedly feels like the third of the trilogy the Patrick Melrose series was intended to be on its publication back in 1994. It mirrors the events of Never Mind as the clans gather again twenty-six years later, this time for a huge house-party in Gloucestershire.
(This is set in February 1991, Bad News took place in 1982 with a 22-year-old Patrick, but Never Mind used references of the late 60's and early 70's although he was 5 in the book, which would have been 1965.)

Certain events
Phrynne
The third book in this series and somehow Patrick Melrose has survived his drug addict days and is now reformed. Many of the characters from the first book return to attend a huge, high society birthday bash which includes, as a guest, Princess Margaret. Again the book is written with style and wit and is very enjoyable. And now I have to read book four to find out what happens next!
Emma
This isn't my favourite of the Patrick Melrose novels though it's still incredibly enjoyable and clever in its representation of a large upper class country party. The voices are startling and clear, distinctive and funny, and in this book there is a lightening of the (beautiful but painful) grimness which pervades the first two.
Andrew Keller
Felt like a modern Oscar Wilde play, though there were a few too many characters to really become too invested in any of them other than Patrick, but I guess that's the point. None of them are worth investing in.
Katie
Melrose turns his novel-length searing criticism from drug addiction to mega-high end social fetes, which is much more my speed. Princess Margaret is there, and all the characters from the previous two novels, especially the horrid lunch party in "never mind." (bridget the stoner, now the hostess; anne the outsider and only sane one; Nicholas, the simpering fan of David Melrose, etc.) Because nobody was being raped and nobody was vomiting horrifically, I could pay attention to how many perfect s ...more
Alan
Still padding my totals with these short novels. but I thought this volume was terrific. The whole novel is about a fancy party with Princess Margarett in attendance- who is invited, who is going with who, who talks to margarett, who is screwing who. Its a withering view of English aristos written by an obvious insider. I have not read them, but I doubt Osacar Wilde or evelyn Waugh could do it better. Patrick is now 8 years older than the last book. He is still unbelievably arch, but he is getti ...more
Claudia
Redemption! Brilliant, quotable dialogue returns, boring drug stuff begone. (It's almost like dealing with the Star Wars movies; we'll just appreciate the ones we love, and kindly gloss over the awful ones.) Again, batches of lines I want to remember.

I'm actually somewhat astonished that no one has filmed this yet (yoo-hoo, Julian Fellowes...). It'd be so simple, since most of the dialogue is already written. There's a steady build-up, re-connecting with characters, and then the final set piece
Diana
When we last saw Patrick Melrose in Bad News by Edward St. Aubyn, he was just boarding a plane, with his father's ashes in hand and his next drug binge scheduled. Miraculously, 8 years later, Patrick is still alive for the third book of the series, Some Hope.

In Some Hope, we revisit almost every single character from Bad News and the first book in the series, Never Mind. Bridget, who was dating one of Patrick's father's friends in Never Mind is now married to someone else, and hosting a party f
Mark Ellis
The third in the Melrose series is better than the second but not quite as perfect as the first. Patrick attends an early 90s aristocratic country party populated with more of the absolutely awful characters St Aubyn writes about so well. Very funny in parts though Patrick's endless self-examination can become wearying at times. The first novel I have read to feature Princess Margaret as a character-she would not have been pleased with her portrayal. I look forward to reading Melrose 4.
Devon
Some great zingers and the usual servings of cold slicey truths on the bullsh*t pretense of aristocracy. Also some nice connections to the first of these stories, but I'm growing weary of these characters and barely hanging onto hope for poor Patrick. Still, I'll press on.

I wonder if I may have missed the point--that drug addicts are so weary of their sober selves and the terror of their own possibilities that they hang in a kind of "dry drunk" pergutory.
Bev
I think that it is important to read the "Some Hope" trilogy in order -- all three books are about Patrick Melrose, chronologically, moving from his horrible childhood through his drug experiences in his early 20s and reaching the moment when he fully confronts his relationship (or lack thereof) with his now-dead father. Laced with flashes of exquisite humour, this reflection on understanding and acceptance is excellent.

Marley KD
Thank goodness for this book. Don't read the first two without going on to this one. So grateful St. Aubyn didn't stop but I can't imagine I would have picked this one up had I discovered St Aubyn when these novels appeared in bookstores one by one. He succeeded in making me feel moved and chastened by the antipathy I felt reading Never Mind and Bad News. I so admire him and these books.
Anita Carter
"Above all, he wanted to stop being a child without the cheap disguise of becoming a parent." and "I feel on the verge of a great transformation, which may be as simple as becoming interested in other things." Patrick Melrose on being Patrick Melrose or, if you like, all of us. Another piece of perfection.
Marian
Fantastic social satire. Patrick's quest for detachment from his hatred towards his father was appropriately understated and believable. I loved the conversational snippet when Johnny thanked Patrick for sharing his emotional burden, and Patrick replied, "Oh, don't be so Californian."
Julie
Edward St Aubyn's Patrick Melrose books are almost as addictive as the central character's drug of choice. This, the third in the series, sees Patrick recovered from the heroin addiction so unforgettably described in Bad News, but still wrestling with his demons. For the first time he tells a friend about the childhood abuse he suffered at the hands of his father, and that brings a sort of release, but Some Hope is set at a truly horrible party full of snobs, wasters, and class-conscious oafs an ...more
Stef Smulders
Rather like a Wildean play, very witty and kaleidoscopian with short scenes involving an aristocratic birthday party in the country. In the background Patrick still struggles with his past which results in some memorable passages. The first few ages are stunning, very impressively written.
Sandy Wood
Well, I hoped his incisive writing style would allow me to like it but no dice. Can't get past horrible people. I thought the party was uninteresting and the characters all blurred into one big mess for me.
Elyse
A reasonable read but felt self-indulgent at times. Too many unlikeable characters meant there was little buy in to the outcomes of the novel.
Dennis
Not quite as good as the first two novels in this 5 book cycle, but entertaining none the less. I look forward to finishing the series.
Carol Buchter
Done with book three of the Patrick Melrose series; enjoying the stories, and the writing style v on to book #4.
Linda
The central event- the birthday party - was disappointingly by-the-numbers. However, Patrick's growth was quite satisfying in its way.... you cant really help but root for him and his mom given their circumstances in the first book. (Tbh, the fact of Eleanor and David's divorce in book 2 came as a relief.)

Irrelevant, but I was amazed to see that one of the characters expresses (awful and utterly wrong) opinions on incest that basically align with some of the garbage that Jeremy Irons as been sp
Ali Miremadi
At least some of the characters are warming up. Incredibly witty stuff.
Mary
The third of the novels was a much easier and lighter read. I love his dry wit and sarcasm
Laurie
Extraordinarily clever country house party set piece.
Bruce
Unrated. See my comments for the entire Patrick Melrose series under At Last
  • The Friday Gospels
  • Come to the Edge
  • Clear: A Transparent Novel
  • The Laying On of Hands: Stories
  • Ulverton
  • 253
  • The Final Cut (Francis Urquhart #3)
  • The Vorrh
  • The Black Madonna of Derby
  • The Forgiven
  • Gilgi, eine von uns
  • With Nails: The Film Diaries of Richard E. Grant
Edward St Aubyn was born in London in 1960. He was educated at Westminster school and Keble college, Oxford University. He is the author of six novels, the most recent of which, ‘Mother’s Milk’, was shortlisted for the 2006 Man Booker Prize, won the 2007 Prix Femina Etranger and won the 2007 South Bank Show award on literature.

His first novel, ‘Never Mind’ (1992) won the Betty Trask award. This no
More about Edward St. Aubyn...

The Patrick Melrose Novels (5 books)
  • Never Mind (The Patrick Melrose Novels, #1)
  • Bad News (The Patrick Melrose Novels, #2)
  • Mother's Milk
  • At Last
The Patrick Melrose Novels Never Mind (The Patrick Melrose Novels, #1) Mother's Milk At Last Lost for Words