Lobscouse and Spotted Dog: Which It's a Gastronomic Companion to the Aubrey/Maturin Novels

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  480 ratings  ·  31 reviews
Celebrate the joys of Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series in this cookbook, full of the food and drink that so often complement Jack and Stephen's travels. In these pages, you will find a wealth of authentic early-nineteenth-century recipes for foods such as Burgoo, Ship's Biscuit, Skillygalee, Drowned Baby, Sea-Pie, Figgy-Dowdy, Soused Hog's Face, Solomongundy, Jam Ro...more
Published November 1st 1997 by W. W. Norton & Company

Chocolat by Joanne HarrisThe School of Essential Ingredients by Erica BauermeisterLike Water for Chocolate by Laura EsquivelMy Life in France by Julia ChildJulie and Julia by Julie Powell
Nouvelle Cuisine
226th out of 290 books — 163 voters
Pleyn Delit by Constance B. HieattThe Medieval Kitchen by Odile RedonMrs Beeton's Book of Household Management by Isabella BeetonCookery and Dining in Imperial Rome by ApiciusThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
Historical Cookery
73rd out of 88 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Jacob
Exactly what it purports to be. Sadly, I have never been able to trick anyone into a British Admiralty themed dinner party.
Brad
This is a great cookbook, and not just for fans of Aubrey/Maturin, but being a fan of theirs doesn't hurt.

Anne Grossman and Lisa Grossman Thomas put together a fascinating mix of literary veneration and nautical cooking, collecting all the recipes eaten by Jack and Stephen over the course of their adventures so that we, their fans, can eat everything from lobscouse and spotted dog to bashed neeps and voluptuous little pies.

I used the book in December 2008 to make my family a Christmas at Sea m...more
Dan
I figured it was about time to investigate the cuisine of my ancestors. Add the connection with the Aubrey/Maturin novels, and buying this was a no-brainer. I can now claim not only to have made Spotted Dog, but to have successfully fed it to guests without a single complaint (for the record, Spotted Dog (or Spotted Dick (no comment ('dog' and 'dick' being archaic variants of the word 'dough'))) is a steamed flour pudding with small dried currants, topped with a creamy custard sauce flavored wit...more
Brad
Far more than just a cookbook of historical recipes. This book is also a book of history as well as a literary companion to the Aubrey/Maturin series. Very lovingly written and researched, with much the same sense of humor that O'Brian showed in his novels - the authors have even referred to themselves as "the Amiable Sluts" in reference to one of many surprisingly offhand quips throughout the series. Rather than simply being content with a regurgitation of historical recipes or entirely modern...more
Wealhtheow
Jan 18, 2013 Wealhtheow rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Alec Boyle, Matt N.
Shelves: food, historical
Grossman and Thomas set out to make every single food, beverage, or potion mentioned in O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin novels, from the obvious (Spotted Dick) to the distasteful (roasted rats!) to the utterly unappetizing (boiled bird shit Stephen drank while marooned on an island). As the authors live in the US two centuries later, much has changed in the food world. They take us on their culinary journey as they puzzle out raised pies, with pie walls a half-inch thick, construct a roasting aparatus,...more
Wendy
You gotta love recipes that begin with "Six pounds of beef..."

I got this book as a Christmas gift (thanks Joe!) and am intrigued by it not only because of my love of Patrick O'Brian, but also for the historical information included.

My favorite: "Boiled Shit", which isn't a real recipe of course, but Maturin's reply to Cpt. Aubrey when asked what he drank while briefly abandoned on a bare rock of an island.
Anne
I'm still threatening to have a Master and Commander dinner party and serve some of the horrific traditional meals served on the ships. But where do you find food grade suet?
Frank Piper
Good reading, not just good recipes. Fair warning, though - go easy on those drink recipes; they'll knock you on your... face.
Tracy
A fun and entertaining cookbook companion to the Aubrey/Maturin novels with tons of historical cooking research along with anecdotes from the books. You just gotta love a recipe that contains the words "beat with a marlinspike"! While I'm infinitely thankful not to have to live on these eighteenth century recipes, I did enjoy making "Drowned Baby", one of Jack's favorite foods (a thumbs-up from the family). I look forward to trying a couple more recipes, but feel I must draw the line at "Soused...more
Relentl3ss
Lobscouse...

I didn't know what it was until I read this book - then I realised I had grown up eating it throughout my childhood.
In Liverpool, they use the latter part of the word, 'Scouse' which gives the people of Liverpool their nickname. However, further down the Trent Mersey Canal, you get to Stoke on Trent, where the locals use the first part - 'Lobby'.

Read the book for a good recipe, and lots of other obscure 18th century culinary tips.
Diana
Very fun cookbook, reproducing eighteenth century dishes referred to in Patrick O'Brien's "Aubrey/Maturin" novels. Instructions for ship's biscuit include the direction to knead by beating with a marlinspike. They also offer two alternative methods: "One is to run it repeatedly through a hand-cranked pasta machine; the other, much more exciting though a bit less efficient, is to put it in a large stout bag and repeatedly drive a car over it."
Renee Wolcott
My parents own a copy of this book, and I first dipped into it at their house. We prepared a sea pie and lobscouse for a party after the opening of the Master and Commander movie--which was fun but couldn't compare to the entire Aubrey/Maturin series. The dinner took forever to cook but was well worth it. Still, I dot think I need to eat sea pie ever again. So rich! The cookbook is hilarious and has excellent historical information.
Pascale
A real pleasure to read, VERY good cookies :) I need to try the Flip as well... Funny and very instructive.

Portable Soup...
'Oh,' she said, and absently she took three spoonfuls of the soup. 'Lord above, ' she said, 'what is this?'
'Soup. Portable soup. Pray take a little more, it will rectify the humours.'
'I thought it was luke-warm glue. But it goes down quite well, if you don't breathe.'
The Fortune of War.

Ahahahah
Hana
Any cooks intrepid enough to find, cook, and eat fat rats in onion sauce, and who yet lived to tell the tale and discuss the recipe and ensuing meal, deserve four or five stars -- if not the Purple Heart. I'm taking off one star because the authors refused to try the sea water, rain and albatross droppings ;)

PS: They thought the rats were delicious, rather like tender stewed rabbit.
Carrie
Let's face it, almost all of the recipes in here are so labor-intensive I will never make them, not to mention they often feature ingredients you just can't get easily anymore. But that was a lot of the fun of reading it. You really understand how food and cooking methods have changed in the last 200 years. And it's interspersed with lots of quotes from the Aubrey-Maturin novels.
Matt
I don't normally read cookbooks cover to cover, but I couldn't help myself with this. I've always wondered about the foods that Patrick O'Brian describes so vividly in the Aubrey/Maturin series, and this mother-daughter team did an impressive amount of work recreating many of the recipes. I'm looking forward to making at least a few of the less involved recipes myself.
Tom
Every year a bunch of us who love O'Brian get together and have a dinner, based on the recipes found here from a book in the series. We have these on the USS Constellation, docked in Baltimore. My wife and I have roasted Pork, made various desserts and had a great time! She was lucky to see the writer of this book at the Maryland Historical Society.
Kristopher
While not exactly a cook book you'll reach for daily, for fans of the Aubrey/Marurin series it's both informative and adds seamlessly into the O'Brian canon. Each reciept has excerpts from the book it's mentioned in as well as historical background on the dish, and it's cooking preparations. Great for food historians, and naval history buffs.
Peter
Lobscouse & Spotted Dog is as much a documentary of how the recipes came into being as it is instructions for preparing food. I read about a quarter of it, learning more about all the great food from the Aubrey & Maturin series and remembering all the great stories. One day I'm even going to cook something from it.
EJD Dignan
Interesting if you are reading the Patrick O'Brian series, but should have a place on the shelf of any curious or adventurous cooks.

Not only delightful gastronomically but a colorful trip through the better parts of some ancient cuisine led by very personable authors!
Nick Stengel
Want to know how to make soused pig face, dead baby, or bird shit? That last one is literal! It's a fun read, and the punch recipes are actually quite good. If you are a fan of the Aubrey/Maturin books, you'll quite enjoy this companion.
Cryselle
This was both delightful and awful, as it put so many things into context. An excellent companion to the age of sail novels. Mostly it made me very glad my dinner is not cooked in a ship's galley circa 1820.
Scott
Cookie and Lisa did a wonderful job researching the foods in the Canon and turning them into workable and often delicious recipes. I skipped the millers and haggis.
Oismiffy

Not really a cookery book, but a "must" for the POB fans. Really enjoyed just dipping in when I had a spare few minutes.
Andrea
Alarming.

This is a giant "don't eat that!"

I could not find anything here that I'd want to make, but still, I loved reading it.
Nick
Actually have tried some of these recipes - edible! You'll learn what forcemeat is.
Cmfish

Excellent cookbook! I've now tried several recipes myself, and they were quite tasty.
Owen O'Neill
Invaluble if you love to cook and want to put on about 30 pounds! But so much fun...
Bill
Apr 05, 2009 Bill marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Annie- this is for you: wittles is up! Isn't the title great?
tinlondon
Jun 28, 2007 tinlondon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians, cooks
Shelves: cookbooks, history
Clever idea, excellent recipes, and very entertaining to read.
  • A Sea of Words: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian
  • Patrick O'Brian's Navy
  • The Unknown Shore
  • The Medieval Kitchen: Recipes from France and Italy
  • The Best Light Recipe
  • The Frugal Gourmet on Our Immigrant Ancestors: Recipes You Should Have Gotten from Your Grandmother