Start by marking “Breaking Free: Making Liberty in Christ a Reality in Life” as Want to Read:
Breaking Free: Making Liberty in Christ a Reality in Life

Breaking Free: Making Liberty in Christ a Reality in Life

4.43  ·  Rating Details  ·  9,392 Ratings  ·  177 Reviews
Breaking Free: Making Liberty in Christ a Reality in Life Trade Book

Do you want to know God and really believe Him? Do you want to find satisfaction in God, experience His peace, and enjoy His presence? Do you want to make the freedom Christ promised a reality in your daily life?

In Breaking Free, Beth Moore embarks on a study of selected passages from the Book of Isaiah,
Published August 1st 2000 by B&H Books (first published June 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Free, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Free

Becky
Jul 26, 2010 Becky rated it it was amazing
An insightful study in the book of Isaiah. I fully expected God to reveal more of Himself as I gave my attention to Him but did not expect to "see" so much more of myself. While the process is painstaking it's also a relief and helpful in knowing what obstacles are on the path of my Christian walk. Gained a lot of insight into areas that I need to surrender and the model for how to do that. Loved this study!

Jen
Where I live it is possible to ask women if they've had their BM for the day and they understand it to mean Beth Moore. I read this book as part of a womens' study at a church I used to attend, at a time when Beth Moore was just beginning to be the bee's knees. Her writing is hardly revolutionary, but since the christian sub-culture is behind on almost everything, she was considered to be a new voice.

This particular book was about breaking free from things that have held you back from living t
Angela
Mar 20, 2012 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy Toledo. In going through a year's counseling and really watching God peel of the layers of stuckness from my life a few years back, I went into this Bible study with 2 things stacked against it:

1) I thought I was going to struggle through Beth Moore as an author (I was judging a book by it's cover - or an author by their reputation in this case - and just didn't think she was going to be an author that I would easily hear from)
2) I went into it knowing I would learn things & seeking God
Robin
Reading this for the second time...the woman at our church are doing the in-depth Bible study of this topic, but I am doing the less-intense version since Baby #3 is due this month.
Finally...and I do mean FINALLY I finished this book. It is probably a much better study than it is a book, but I enjoyed it and was challenged, so it was definitely worth the time I spent reading it...which was at a snail's pace, I assure you. The point of the book--that you can be saved and still be living in bondag
Annette
Dec 16, 2015 Annette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Summary:
I have read and heard Beth Moore mention Breaking Free, "had been one of the most difficult books" she'd written. It is difficult because of her own painful memories of abuse.
Breaking Free's main theme is liberty in Christ Jesus. Liberty from strongholds and oppression, specifically directed at those who have been victimized through sexual abuse.
Breaking Free's main focal passage from the Bible---

The Spirit of the Sovereign LORD is on me, because the LORD has anointed me to preach good n
Sherri Hayes
Sep 29, 2012 Sherri Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Amazing that Beth Moore can write a book on four lines of scripture, Isaiah 61:1-4. I have memorized this passage and it will forever be close to my heart. Overcoming a stronghold is powerful. Coming face to face with it may be hard, but once you face it and give it to God....well, you can probably write a book :-) I love Beth Moore and her candid speaking of how she has (and still is) overcome her obstacles. I learned my love for Bible Study from Beth Moore. She makes it a fun adventure.
Pamela
This book helped me learn what I needed to learn of Gods love and grace and how to recognize and then to let go of what kept me prisoner. A must read in my opinion for everyone who has junk in their life that they carry guilt and or are ashamed for others to know and have regrets or living with consequences that hurt. Get it, read it, study it, do it - get free :)
Lady
great book for self examination...... if you are ready to be honest with yourself.
L8blmr
Apr 18, 2016 L8blmr rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you're at all aware of popular Christian Bible study authors, you know that the "total surrender" in the subtitle of this book refers to God. However, I found the major theme to be breaking strongholds, and who doesn't have those? There is wisdom here that could help anyone with that problem, such as how important it is to replace the lies your mind tells you with the truth. Personally, I found this book very "heavy" and prefer when Mrs. Moore uses more of her amazing sense of humor to make h ...more
Shalena
Jul 15, 2012 Shalena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moore starts the book off with a challenge….memorizing the word of God. That in its self gets my mind rolling with a slight tinge of anxiousness. Moore emphasizes verses from Isaiah which help one’s mind to “break free” from the stronghold of idols, pride, legalism, prayerlessness, and unbelief and to make “Him to become God alone to you with a powerful story to tell”. Many self examples are used to paint the picture of overcoming these strongholds. The use of Hebrew/Greek words and definitions ...more
Amytiger
May 27, 2015 Amytiger rated it really liked it
Paula
Mar 24, 2010 Paula is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
A Christian is held captive by anything that hinders the abundant and effective Spirit-filled life God planned for her. Breaking Free proves God's words in Galatians 5:1, "It is for freedom that Christ has se us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." This Bible Study's themes come from the book of Isaiah. A must read for all Christian women!
Jody
Feb 02, 2016 Jody rated it liked it
I definitely prefer Beth Moore studies in a group with discussion, but there were a number of things that jumped out at me from this book. First, the five benefits: 1. To know God & believe Him; 2. To glorify God; 3. To find satisfaction in God; 4. To experience God's peace; and 5. To enjoy God's presence. I happened to (or perhaps was prompted to) read Chapter 34 about rebellion and discipline just after discussing the rebellion and lack of discipline of a young child. I was thinking how co ...more
Dana Arcuri
Apr 21, 2012 Dana Arcuri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-studies
Another awesome bible study by Beth Moore! Dig deep into hidden area's within your life where God is seeking to turn trash into beautiful treasures. Surrendering is key to growth as a Christian & despite the pain involved, it's quite necessary. Very empowering!
Debbie Taylor
One of the most powerfully moving Bible Studies I've ever undertaken. Although some scoff at her fill-in-the blank methods, the content was deeply thought provoking and emotionally stirring. I came away changed and healed after participating in this study!
Amy
Feb 24, 2009 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Went through this for a women's bible study. I think I liked the bible study and the women in it more than the actual book.
Patsy Gantt
Dec 29, 2015 Patsy Gantt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The women's study group that I am a part of at my church started studying this book last fall. Beth Moore is one of the few people who can write such a lengthy book on four lines of scripture, Isaiah 61:1-4. The first section is a brief historical overview of the kings of Israel and the different captivities of the Israelites. Then Ms. Moore leads you through a study about the obstacles that keep us from knowing God as we should and summarizes some of the benefits of knowing God more deeply. The ...more
Jan 24, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: BREAKING FREE
Author: Beth Moore
Publisher: Broadman & Holman
2007 (reprinted from 2000)
ISBN: 1-59328-028-9
Genre: Inspirational/Christian living

In BREAKING FREE, Beth Moore introduces the readers to nine different lessons and has several different parts – The lessons are too long to mention here, but the parts are:

I. From Cap
April
I didn't finish this book. I tried several times; I just lost interest. I will say, there was one particular passage that moved me to tears; the author writes about how Christ is God's only son, who He obviously loves unconditionally...but realizes that He loves the people He created, the world He created, and they desperately needed His help. So, he makes the ultimate sacrifice (we all know how that story goes). It was the way Moore made it so relatable that got to me, as a parent.
Ang
Jul 18, 2014 Ang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
Reading "Breaking Free" was a very personal retreat for me. I took my time reading, reflecting, studying, praying the chapters. Beth Moore's study brought about awareness & perceptions from strongholds I've had for years. A beautiful written book drawing me closer in my relationship with God and giving me peace. I also have "Breaking Free Day by Day" to help me reflect daily on my spiritual journey. Beth Moore is very inspiring and compassionate. I really enjoyed the book.
Rhonda
Aug 18, 2011 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011
This book is what you want to put into it. If you just want to skim the surface or go to a nice women's gathering, it might be kind of intense causing you to tune out. If you want to dig deep into God's Word, this might not be "inductive Bible study" enough for you, causing disappointment. Beth Moore is a little intense for my California-ness, but every time she seems to be over the top, she says something so true, it stops me cold.

Breaking Free is part Bible study and part commentary/book. It h
Beth Peninger
May 31, 2011 Beth Peninger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It took me two months to read this book. But not because it was bad or hard to read but because it was so deep and so heart provoking that I could only do a few chapters at a time and then I had to stop and chew for awhile. This was a good good read. But more than that it was a good, no great, unpacking of what true liberty in Christ is. Beth Moore did a thorough job of helping the reader understand what binds and what can and does free. Her writing is easy to read but not simple to digest. She ...more
Sally Stanfill
Oct 21, 2014 Sally Stanfill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
life changing stuff in this book. doing the workbook with the videos is powerful. I'm grateful for this incredible study on breaking free from the bondage we don't have to be held captive by
Cheryl
Read this once a few years ago & just finished reading it through twice over the last two months. Currently in the 4th week of the Bible Study with the same title. Excellent truth!
Kori Gentry
Dec 09, 2015 Kori Gentry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Opened my eyes

Opened my eyes to many areas of my life that I had given up on or wasn't even aware was there. There is freedom in this book given by God.
Jodi Woody
Feb 04, 2014 Jodi Woody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a wonderful Woman's Bible Study! I think everywoman should read it. Beth Moore gives insight into some of the common problems that women have gone through from infancy and how to break free from your past. I give the book 5 stars. The writing is simple, yet in depth. This book will change the way you think. Great for individual study or for a group study. I highly recommend this book. Appropriate for high school age and up.
Judy Pearson
Jul 07, 2015 Judy Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! After my initial read, I have since re-read a lot of the things over. Breaking Free was inspiring and encouraging!
Sandra
Powerful

Definitely not a book you plow through. Settle in with a notebook and pen. You'll be here for a while if you do it rifht.
Emily
Feb 03, 2010 Emily rated it did not like it
Shelves: bible-study
Maybe it was the length of time it took our bible study group to read this book. Perhaps it was the time of year. Maybe I just wasn't ready for this message. I am not sure...but...this was not an enjoyable read. I felt like the chapters were short and kind of left you hanging...never really digging in deep until the end of the book, and even then it wasn't really deep or very explanatory. Plus, by that time, we were so far removed from the beginning chapters that it was hard to "put it all toget ...more
Kameron
May 07, 2011 Kameron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christian-walk, bible
Awesome. Christ has won the victory and we truly can live in liberty through Him! Beth is amazing. This book was so Bible-focused (the book of Isaiah) and so God centered. Though she could have made it all about her own journey to freedom, she continually points the reader away from herself and onto the Lord. That is why He has blessed her ministry so much. It is amazing to me that even Christians who have the assurance of salvation through Christ, can still get so easily caught up in lies/bonda ...more
  • Grace for the Moment: Inspirational Thoughts for Each Day of the Year
  • Lessons I Learned in the Dark: Steps to Walking by Faith, Not by Sight
  • Discerning the Voice of God: How to Recognize When God Speaks
  • A Confident Heart: How to Stop Doubting Yourself & Live in the Security of God's Promises
  • Nehemiah Member Book: A Heart That Can Break
  • How to Study Your Bible
  • Having a Mary Spirit: Allowing God to Change Us from the Inside Out
  • Becoming a Woman of Excellence
  • The Search for Significance: Seeing Your True Worth Through God's Eyes
  • Walking with God: Talk to Him. Hear from Him. Really.
  • What Are You Afraid Of?: Facing Down Your Fears with Faith
  • Me and My Big Mouth!: Your Answer Is Right Under Your Nose
  • Lies Women Believe: And the Truth that Sets them Free
  • Do You Think I'm Beautiful?
  • Calm My Anxious Heart

FROM THE AUTHOR'S WEB PAGE: Beth founded Living Proof Ministries in 1994 with the purpose of teaching women how to love and live on God’s Word. She has written numerous books and Bible studies, including Breaking Free, Believing God, and When Godly People Do Ungodly Things, that have been read by women of all ag
More about Beth Moore...

“God surpasses our dreams when we reach past our personal plans and agenda to grab the hand of Christ and walk the path he chose for us.  He is obligated to keep us dissatisfied until we come to him and his plan for complete satisfaction.” 48 likes
“When you are trying to discern whether God or Satan is the author of a hardship, one of your best clues is whether sin is involved. God never entices us to sin, nor does he employ sin or perversion as a means of molding us into the image of Christ. Impossible!” 6 likes