Start by marking “Stoneheart (The Stoneheart Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
Stoneheart (The Stoneheart Trilogy, #1)

Stoneheart (Stoneheart Trilogy #1)

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  6,339 Ratings  ·  507 Reviews
A city has many lives and layers. London has more than most. Not all the layers are underground, and not all the lives belong to the living. Twelve-year-old George Chapman is about to find this out the hard way. When, in a tiny act of rebellion, George breaks the head from a stone dragon outside the Natural History Museum, he awakes an ancient power. This power has been do ...more
Published April 15th 2008 by Hyperion Book CH (first published August 2nd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Stoneheart, please sign up.

Théa Just incase anyone else gets confused by this (I did) Stephen Fry narrates the British version of the Harry Potter audio books and Jim Dale the…moreJust incase anyone else gets confused by this (I did) Stephen Fry narrates the British version of the Harry Potter audio books and Jim Dale the American one. (less)

Jonathan

Stoneheart is one of those more unusual fantasies and as a work of fiction goes to show that children's literature does not need to be insipid or uninspiring. There is a kind of supremacy that I sense in literature that suggests that the only truly great literature is that which targets an 'adult' audience. In other words that literature which is dark, gritty, grim and full of blood and gore - issues that children are far too innocent to deal with.

The problem I note here is that many people see
Ithlilian
Jan 11, 2011 Ithlilian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book seems to have fallen into the same pattern that many other YA books fall into. The first book is one long chase scene with little actual information being presented. The Alchemyst and Percy Jackson are two other examples. While I didn't mind the breakneck pace in those books, I did mind it here. Percy finds out who and what he is, and so do the twins in The Alchemyst, the characters in this book have very little idea of what is going on other than some statues and good and some are bad ...more
Heidi
Jul 09, 2008 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I love the idea of the statues of London coming to "life" and enjoyed the transformation of George.The characters, human and otherwise are compelling, and you don't get hard and fast answers about whose side some of these characters are on. This book can be dark and suspenseful... not recommended for children who are prone to nightmares (One of the bad guys enjoys eating children, to give one example).
Ironhand, here I come!!!
Josie McClain
Jun 09, 2009 Josie McClain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a real 'page turner'! You can't wait to read what will happen next. However,it is a challenging book. For one thing it is very British. If you were going to use this with a group, it might help to prepare the students with some visuals of London. Talk with them about even though English is spoken in London there are some main differences in what we mean when we say 'biscuit' and what someone in London means by a biscuit. For instance, the main character talks about not wanting to grass ...more
Allison
from the first line I had very high expectations for this book. I was very excited to read the story, and really interested in how the author would deal with a character who seemed determined to keep the world at a distance. As I read, I waited patiently for some depth, some mystery that would finally grab my interest. Unfortunately, I found the book flat- not bad, or unbelievable or poorly written- but just ordinary. There was nothing unique about it, nothing that kept me anxiously turning page ...more
Stephen
4.0 stars. Very engaging fantasy with some excellent ideas. It is always nice to come across a new idea that is well executed. Could be the beginning of a very good series.
Kat Heckenbach
Jul 08, 2015 Kat Heckenbach rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book a couple of years ago and for some reason never got past the first few chapters. I don't remember it being bad, just not particularly sweeping me away. I gave the book to my son (who was twelvish at the time) thinking he'd enjoy it. He did, as well as the two books following. Recently, he decided to clear off his bookshelves and I decided to hold onto the series and give it another try.

SO GLAD I DID.

I absolutely loved this book this time around. Loved the main character, G
Norah Una Sumner
Okaaaaay...
This was okay.The story has a lot of potenial but everything is just so confusing in this part.It's like you're only getting information but nothing is actually solved.That's why it was very hard for me to get into story of Stoneheart.The characters,on the other hand,are interesting,I really like George and Gunner.I hope that the sequel is better.

There are three stages of reading this book:

1/3:

2/3:

3/3(in this case...You go,George!):

Favourite quotes:

I did have a couple of quotes I real
Hilarie
Jun 13, 2009 Hilarie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I have always loved sculptures. I can remember visiting the museum with my parents as a little girl and being truly frightened by some of the more monstrous images carved in stone, with their malicious smiles that exposed far too many teeth for my small child imagination. I think deep down I was always afraid they were going to suddenly come alive. In Stoneheart, that is exactly what happens to George Chapman, a 12 year-old English boy who expresses his frustration in the wrong way at the wrong ...more
Aleea
Nov 17, 2010 Aleea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Really, really neat idea. It was very well done for the first third of the book. After that point either the author liked seeing ink on paper or the editor forgot to edit. Too much telling, way too much description, too much pointless dialogue. It felt like every noun was preceded by at least two adjectives. Adjectives are good... in moderation.

I read this to my family out loud so maybe I was extra-sensitive to these faults. Not only was I catching typos and subject-verb agreement issues, I was
Steve
Oct 13, 2013 Steve rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
2.5 stars. I'm rather conflicted by this book. It had an extremely interesting premise, but then started using too many of the standard fantasy tropes for my liking, and then it seemed to drag. I could not get invested with the characters, so the tension that the author was attempting to build didn't work to keep me interested. However, it did get interesting in the middle, but then it started dragging again and never really got going again. The chapters were incredibly short, and I'm not certai ...more
Alyssa
Only got to page 30. The writing was... not the best. A ton of passive voice, with fragmented sentences (and concepts) that made it difficult to get into the scenes. I was going to try to push through... Then I came to this gem of action writing:

BLAM.
The thing stopped.
BLAM.
The thing looked surprised.
CRASH.
Something else landed in front of George.
Something with steel tacks on its boots.
Something with a gun.
Someone.

At that point, I decided I was done.
Mike
Jun 14, 2010 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars.

My son said this was a good read, so I gave it a chance.
While I was a little confused about how the "layers" of London interacted and effected each other, the seeming and slight inconsistencies weren't enough to stop me.

It's a fun, fleshed-out world that Flethcer has created, and while the ending left me feeling a little flat, (Really, after all that, that's how it ends!?) I am looking forward to the rest of the series.
Elizabeth Emily Browne
I really enjoyed this one and I love the idea of statues coming to life. George has done a very bad thing and the taints and spits are about to go to war. But they're starting by hunting him down.

I love the characters of George, Edie and the Gunner just to name a few. To say that this is children's literature it has a very unique world to it. It's so imaginative that I can't wait to read the next two in the series. George has to find a stone heart to make amends for what he's done and once he's
Sue Smith
Jun 13, 2012 Sue Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by this book actually. Not that I went into it with any expectations or anything. I just wanted an audio book that would entertain me on my loooonnnnggg commute to and from work and had decided that I wanted to listen to one narrated by Jim Dale, as I so enjoy his narration on the Harry Potter series.

So I was happy to have a familiar voice lending his expertise to another story but I was quite taken by the story itself. I really wasn't kidding when I said it was like r
Lillian
First of all, I love the idea of the story very much! Statues that come to life?! I think that's super cool and thrilling! Thanks to this book, I'll have to look twice at all the statues I walk past now among the city. *laughs*

I had some trouble getting into the story at first, mostly because I was confused what was going on! I often had to look back at the past 4-16 pages I've read, and re-read it again with the hopes I'll understand the plot better, hahaha.

The character that I got attached to
Jim Goodrich
Sep 28, 2016 Jim Goodrich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some similarities with the Harry Potter series: kids on an adventure in the vicinity of London in a parallel world which overlaps our familiar one. Also, the main character gets a scar which indicates he's special in some way. But it's definitely not a copy cat novel, these similarities are only superficial. This work is original and creative and has nothing to do with magic. This story is more about the lore and mythology of this alternate world in which the protagonist has accid ...more
Stef
Mar 08, 2010 Stef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

The Stoneheart Trilogy ROCKS! (no pun intended)

I couldn't put this series down - just like the Harry Potter books. Although completely different...these books really pull you in. I `read' it via audio books (performed by the fantastic Jim Dale - who also read the HP books) and it was fabulous! The way it is written is completely refreshing...instead of writing "the status was big and looked like it was breathing" the author describes the scene in such a way as to tell the same sentence but to ne
Kate
Jan 14, 2014 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kate by: Teen Book Club selection, Isinglass Teen Read Award nominee
George is on a school field trip when he gets angry and smashes the head off a stone statue. Suddenly the statues are coming to life and chasing him, but no one else can see them... until he runs into Edie, a "glint." With the help of a soldier statue called Gunner, they are now on a quest among the living statues of London to find the Stone Heart and avoid a terrible fate.

I didn't hate this enough to rate it 2 stars but this was just barely 3. I found myself skimming a lot of it. I had this mis
Erika
Nov 20, 2010 Erika rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I read this book about a year ago, maybe year and a half. I re-read it this weekend and, just like the last time, I thought it was an okay book. The idea of the statues coming to life is great, but the written execution is not up to it.

Even though the story is enjoyable, there's way too much description of irrelevant things (taxis passing by, unrelated buildings, etc.), the dialogues are bland, and -in my opinion- there aren't enough action scenes, and the few ones the story has are more descrip
Mike (the Paladin)
This isn't a bad book, and while it certainly isn't anywhere near the best YA/Youth novel I've read/listened to, it's also far from the worst. It struggled a few times to hold my interest as I followed the young people around London learning about "Taints" and "Spits", but it was okay.

I'll also say that Jim Dale probably helped (I listened to the audio version).

I plan to get the the other 2 from the library.
Kathy
Aug 31, 2010 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2010
The book itself is probably a 3 star book (3 stars isn't bad - it means I liked it). HOWEVER the audio version is narrated by Jim Dale so that upped the rating. Jim Dale can turn an average book into something very entertaining.
Shanna Early
Nov 05, 2014 Shanna Early rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The premise is interesting, the characters feel real, and the writing is good. I will say, though, that listening to the audiobook read by the incomparable Jim Dale might skew my judgement, but I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys YA fantasy fiction.
Jo Woolfardis
[Short and quick review before I re-read and re-review at a later date:

I remember a few things, and the abiding memory is that I enjoyed it as a piece of quick escapism. Been meaning to get on with the rest of the series, I think, too...]
Geneva
Aug 21, 2014 Geneva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating. Basically Neverwhere for younger readers (though not quite as good).
Bill Tillman
This a great intro volume to a trilogy. Two twelve year olds on the loose in London, dealing with animated stone, bronze and other metal figures both good and bad. Delightful tale.
Andrea
Jul 11, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
took me a long time to get moving on this book. just didn't grab me and suck me in from the beginning though i was more interested towards the end. that said, i'll give the second one a try.
Nobody
Dec 02, 2011 Nobody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so it's more like a 3.5. The only thing I didn't really like about it was the human characters. I enjoyed the idea of the story line and plot, but the characters really irked me.
Annette
May 27, 2017 Annette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, fantasy
George is having a rotten day following a rotten year. Accused in front of his entire class of something he didn't do, he runs outside and unleashes his temper on a tiny dragon statue on the wall of the British History Museum. A few moments later he is running for his life from a stone pterodactyl and three stone lizards from a near-by building. Worse, no-one else can see them. Finally, he finds himself cornered with his back to a WWI memorial in a traffic circle. Suddenly, the pterodactyl disin ...more
Bryer B.
Jan 30, 2017 Bryer B. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
January; Stoneheart; Charlie Fletcher

Twelve-year-old George Chapman is about to find this out the hard way. When, in a tiny act of rebellion, George breaks the head from a stone dragon outside the Natural History Museum. Doing this, he awakens an ancient power. This power has been absent for centuries but the results of George's actions are instant and terrifying: A stone Pterodactyl peels away from the wall and starts chasing after George. He runs for his life but it seems that no one can see
  • The Revenge of the Shadow King (Grey Griffins, #1)
  • The Book of Time (Book of Time, #1)
  • Nightmare Academy (Nightmare Academy #1)
  • The Dragon's Eye (Erec Rex, #1)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)
  • Happenstance Found (The Books of Umber, #1)
  • The Time Thief (The Gideon Trilogy, #2)
  • The Dragon of Never-Was (Hatching Magic, #2)
  • Pure Dead Frozen (Pure Dead #6)
  • Here, There Be Dragons (Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #1)
  • The Night Tourist (Jack Perdu, #1)
  • Curse of the Night Wolf (Barnaby Grimes, #1)
  • Sword Quest (Swordbird, #0)
  • Troll Mill (Troll, #2)
  • A Dragon's Awakening (The Chronicles of Kale, #1)
  • Keeper of the Grail (The Youngest Templar, #1)
  • The Sword in the Stars (Dark Sea Annals, #1)
Charlie Fletcher is the author of Stoneheart, shortlisted for the Branford Boase award and longlisted for the Guardian children’s fiction award, the sequels Ironhand and Silvertongue, and the stand-alone YA novel Far Rockaway.

His first adult novel The Oversight will be published in May 2014 in the US and UK.

Dragon Shield, the start of a new trilogy set in the Stoneheart world of London will be pu
More about Charlie Fletcher...

Stoneheart Trilogy (3 books)
  • Ironhand (Stoneheart Trilogy, #2)
  • Silvertongue (Stoneheart Trilogy, #3)

“Everything is funny from some angle, I assure you it is. It's just a matter of where you're standing.” 6 likes
“Fetter Lane,' read Edie.
"Fetters are chains. Like handcuffs, On your legs," said George.
"I know," she said. "They don't go in for cheerful, do they, these City people naming their streets? I even saw a Bleeding Heart Yard once. Had a horrible atmosphere. I didn't touch anything and got out as fast as I could.”
0 likes