Start by marking “Siege Of Heaven (Demetrios Askiates, #3)” as Want to Read:
Siege Of Heaven (Demetrios Askiates, #3)

Siege Of Heaven (Demetrios Askiates #3)

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  151 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
A powerful novel of intrigue, sacrifice, savagery and holy war---the apocalyptic ending of the First Crusade trilogy.

August, 1098. After countless battles and sieges, the surviving soldiers of the First Crusade are at last within reach of their ultimate goal: Jerusalem. But rivalries fester, and while the Crusaders delay, new enemies are massing against them in the Holy La
Published December 10th 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published August 5th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Siege Of Heaven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Siege Of Heaven

Markus
The Army of God marches towards the Holy City and in the midst of intrigue, diplomacy of murder, Demetrios Askiates is caught up in the storm of the First Crusade one last time…

Siege of Heaven concludes the story of Demetrios Askiates, the unveiler of mysteries, and his journey alongside the crusaders towards Jerusalem. In the end, this was probably the weakest book in the series, but it was only slightly less enjoyable than the last two.

One particularly interesting part of this book was the set
Peter Timbrell
Mar 30, 2015 Peter Timbrell rated it liked it
Ok, I finally finished "Siege of Heaven". I can see that the subject could be challenging, particularly as the documented historical detail relating to the crusades is somewhat scarce, and the accuracy of its recording may be questionable.

I did find this novel hard work. The characters were not particularly well constructed, particularly the protagonist Demetrios. I struggled to picture the man let alone relate to him. The story didn't flow for me either, again that could well have been down to
Speesh
Oct 12, 2014 Speesh rated it it was ok
Blimey! That took a long time. A long time finishing and a long time starting to do anything. When I was (hurrah!) done, all I could think was- it came, it was there and now it’s gone again. And it felt to like it got longer each time I picked it up.

I really couldn’t see what the point of the book was. I couldn’t see what the aim of the book or the story was. Usually it’s fairly clear from the start, or from the blurb on the inside, or the back, so you’re in the frame of mind to measure it again
P.D.R. Lindsay
Oct 03, 2013 P.D.R. Lindsay rated it liked it

Harper writes about that charade of religious fervour, the First Crusade of 1096-8 in all its ghastly violence and hypocrisy. The reader is spared nothing of the petty rivalries between the various Dukes and warlords, the infighting and power struggles which is all the Crusade turns out to be for these men. Harper's research is impressive. I learnt a great deal about the shenanigans of the last of the Holy Roman Empire as the main character, a Greek, Demetrios Askiates, is the Emperor's represen
Robert Plath
Feb 22, 2016 Robert Plath rated it it was amazing
Perhaps the best piece of Historical fiction I have ever picked, Siege of Heaven recounts the inception of the war between the Fatimids and the army of God, over Jerusalem, a war which is going on even today...
Ghost14
Dec 28, 2010 Ghost14 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: periodical
A very high and rich depiction of the trilogy's end. Lacks the mystery of the first part (mosaic of shadows) and the political aura of teh second (knights of the cross). But does make up for it by adapting a straight in-your-face narrative overtone of the final seige of teh holy city.

The theme involved is more military than political or suspense in the third part. Lags a bit towards the end but picks up pace again towards teh gory climax. An interesting read and one that adds variety to the dive
Gary
Dec 08, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing
'Siege of Heaven' is the third book in this series following 'The Mosaic of Shadows' and 'Knights of the Cross'. I recommend this series and other books by this author including 'the Reluctant Adventures of Lieutenant Martin Jerrold' trilogy beginning with 'The Blighted Cliffs' that were published under his real name, Edwin Thomas.
Tapley
May 03, 2008 Tapley rated it it was ok
Once again, I think I would have appreciate this book more if I had started from the beginning of the series. As it was I found the story a bit tricky to get into in the very beginning, but it drew me in as the story went along. In the end though, it was entertaining but not brilliant, and I just put it down.
Chris Westlake
May 05, 2013 Chris Westlake rated it really liked it
A good end to the trilogy, if a little meandering in places. Disappointed that Demetrios left behind the detective aspect of first two books and just became another soldier. Would recommend the Trilogy and will look for more Tom Harper
PaleHorsemen
Apr 20, 2016 PaleHorsemen rated it it was amazing
A worthy end of the trilogy. Still it left some bitter feeling. Probably because nothing changes and people continue fighting because of their religions...
Douglas
Aug 15, 2011 Douglas rated it it was ok
The language is very good, but if you're looking for a historic thriller, this is not it; it's more an insight (true and fictional) of the first crusade.
Winnie
Mar 24, 2012 Winnie rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this trilogy - loved the characters and the writing flowed and was quick and easy to read which was all I wanted from this set of books.
Rick Brindle
Mar 12, 2013 Rick Brindle rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
A good, readable book, giving a modern take on the sack of Jerusalem. Not sure if I'd read it again, but definitely worth taking on holiday.
bleeding fangs
Feb 19, 2013 bleeding fangs rated it it was amazing
fantastic, I really felt living the story
Erik
Erik marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
BettyAnn
BettyAnn marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Kenneth Azzopardi
Kenneth Azzopardi marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Alan
Alan marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Nefeli Steriadi
Nefeli Steriadi marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
José Martins
José Martins marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2016
Kythira
Kythira rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Sinisa
Sinisa rated it really liked it
May 16, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Vchandri
Vchandri rated it did not like it
May 14, 2016
Rhonda Pickens
Rhonda Pickens marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Asif Anonto
Asif Anonto marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
  • The Silver Eagle (Forgotten Legion Chronicles, #2)
  • Northfield
  • House of Ghosts
  • Insurrection (The Insurrection Trilogy, #1)
  • Transgression
  • Devil's Dream
  • Echo of the Reich (Chris Bronson, #5)
  • The Templar’s Quest (Caedmon Aisquith, #3)
  • Mother of the Believers
  • Not for Glory (The Douglas Trilogy #3)
  • The Babylonian Codex
  • The Doomsday Testament (Jamie Saintclaire, #1)
  • Eagle (Saladin, #1)
  • Hitler's Niece
  • The Street Philosopher
  • Promise Bridge
  • Tyrant: Funeral Games (Tyrant, #3)
  • Your Sad Eyes and Unforgettable Mouth
Tom Harper was born in West Germany in 1977 and grew up in Germany, Belgium and America; he now lives in England. He is chair of the Crime Writers' Association and also a member of the Historical Novels Society and the Society of Authors.

Tom Harper also writes historical adventures as Edwin Thomas.

Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the GoodReads database with this name. See this thre
More about Tom Harper...

Demetrios Askiates (3 books)
  • The Mosaic of Shadows (Demetrios Askiates, #1)
  • Knights of the Cross (Demetrios Askiates, #2)

“If I learned one thing that day, it was that Peter Bartholomew, Arnulf, even Saint John the Divine had all been wrong. The world did not have to end with ten-horned beasts and dragons, angels and fantastical monsters. The prophets who foretold those things had succumbed to the extravagance of their imaginations, and it had played them false. Nothing on earth could be so terrible as men.” 0 likes