Start by marking “The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride, #1)

The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride #1)

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  172,529 Ratings  ·  8,279 Reviews
Characters based on James Patterson's international bestsellers When the Wind Blows and The Lake House are re-invented in Maximum Ride and are launched on the ultimate action-packed adventure full of humor and suspense.

Fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it's like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the "Flock"--Fang, Iggy, Nudg
Audio CD, Abridged, 8 pages
Published April 11th 2005 by Hachette Audio

To ask other readers questions about The Angel Experiment, please sign up.

LilyCat (Agent of SHIELD) I think it's because either Angel, the little girl, gets experimented on, or because the people at the School created flying kids in an experiment,…moreI think it's because either Angel, the little girl, gets experimented on, or because the people at the School created flying kids in an experiment, and flying kids look kinda like angels.(less)
Carole Yes they do have wings. Supposedly very pretty ones, they are all similar to a real bird's wing. They can fold them up and hide them under baggy…moreYes they do have wings. Supposedly very pretty ones, they are all similar to a real bird's wing. They can fold them up and hide them under baggy wind-breakers like they do a lot if you read the entire series. I recommend you do if you haven't already :).(less)

Joe
Jan 13, 2014 Joe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: individuals with a high tolerance for bad writing
Now this is a terrible book.

Written with all the wit and grace of a one-legged puppy, Maximum Ride: The Angel Experiment reveals its intentions within the first chapter alone. This is not a book of striking prose or even serviceable but entertaining MOR lit. It is merely a cash cow, another mindless series designed to appeal to reluctant readers. It is, in a word, soulless.

Maximum Ride follows the adventures of six children, each of whom is the product of a genetic experiment: they are 98% human
Jenny
Oct 09, 2012 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK. I thought this was going to be a lame cheese fest. I mean, James Patterson? I know kids seem to like the series OK, and even a couple adults have recommended it to me. But I figured it wasn't my bag.
I'm not sure why. Genetically engineered mutant kids with wings escaping from evil scientists and fighting super strong werewolf-like soldiers. What's not to like? I couldn't put it down. Fast paced, exciting, kind of horrifying and a lot better written than I expected. I'm totally reading the n
Allison
Take a bit of the child-like innocence vs. evil of Harry Potter, some of the artificially-created destiny from Ender's Game, throw in the flying fantasies from Eragon and mix them in with Patterson's trademark flippant characterization, and you've got Maximum Ride.

This is the book I'm going to recommend when everyone's recovering from the end of Harry Potter later this month. Really. It's that good. And the best part is there are two more books after this one. There's already a waiting list for
Angelc
Dec 04, 2013 Angelc rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was okay, but I just felt like it didn't have a lot of substance. I didn't really take anything away from it, almost like it didn't have a lot of deep meaning. And it wasn't terribly entertaining, either. I just would have liked the characters to be a little deeper, I guess. I doubt I will read the rest of the series.

Reviewed for: http://inthehammockblog.blogspot.com/
Helen
I want you, the reader, to take a moment and scroll down to the lists this novel has been shelved in. “Best Young Adult Books,” “Best Books Ever,” “What To Read After Harry Potter,” “Best Female Lead Characters,” and “Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books”. If you haven’t guessed by the titles, these are pretty big and popular lists. If you click into them and view the lists, you will see that this book is pretty high up the ranks. And if you looked behind the book, you’ll see raving review a ...more
Mizuki
Do Not Finish at page 145.

I want to finish this book, but after a while I remember life is too short for reading one crappy book after another.

If I read The Angel Experiment when I was 12 years old, I guess I would have been oh-so impressed.

But readers who possess the mental maturity of a 13 years old or above are free to skip this book.

And James Patterson, I'm blacklisting you. I will not read any other of your books. Trick me one, shame on you; trick me twice, shame on me.
Jared Vincent Lacaran
Jan 05, 2014 Jared Vincent Lacaran rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
This is a really terrible book. It's even worse than the whole Twilightand Eragon series combined together. The plot is extremely obnoxious, it features cardboard characters, and it has awfully absurd twists. It's dialogues are really horrible, like an old man trying very hard to sound young. this book is very,very,very badly written. A 12 year old could probably do better. The battle scenes, if you could call them that, are also poorly written and not realistic. Not even in the least. This book ...more
Emily May
Jun 17, 2012 Emily May rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult, sci-fi, dnf

Nothing massively wrong with it but the writing was just way too young for me.
Jane
Dec 04, 2013 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fantasy fans twelve years and up
One of my students recommended this book, and while I was intrigued by the premise, and the fact that the protagonist is a female action hero, I found the dialogue beyond basic (only an adult would imagine that kids really communicate like this) and the plot was a liitle repetitious. it's part of a trilogy - but I don't care enough about these characters to read more.
Denae Christine
Mar 10, 2016 Denae Christine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: the rebellious at heart
Reader thoughts: Max is a sarcastic and tough teen with amazing wings. She's leader of her flock of bird kids, and they work hard to stay away from the troublesome adult scientists. Max struggles to keep her flock together, discover her destiny, and save the world while she's at it.
Finding their parents would be a nice bonus, too, if only the whitecoats would stop trying to kill them.

Sadly, only the first 3 books of the series are good.

Writer thoughts: It's amazing that JP can pull off such a f
Khadidja
Sep 27, 2016 Khadidja is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
i saw the trailer of the movie and wanted to read the book so i could spoil the whole movie for my best friend before she gets a chance to watch it ! :D yup i'm that ANNOYING friend.
Sella Malin
Dec 20, 2008 Sella Malin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whoa!!! This book is sooo good. It's really, really, REALLY fast-paced and action-packed. Even the very first chapter throws you headfirst into straight-on action. It's a very easy read, with short chapters that flow right into the other with cliffhangers. It's not something you can start/stop reading; once you start, there's no turning bag. You're dragged into the story from the very first page, willingly or not, and nothing can tear you from the book- only forceful things, like school, homewor ...more
Mario
May 21, 2015 Mario rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, own-read
Warning:
If you dare to read his story,
you become part of the Experiment.
I know that sounds a little mysterious-
but it’s all I can say right now.
-Max

I read a lot of Patterson adult thrillers, and after a while, I kind of got bored of him (I mean how many sequels can a book have?!). So, with that said, I had really low expectations for this one, but the book really took me by surprise. This book is just pure fun. 400 pages of action packed fun, that leaves you wanting more. I also found out that I
Hope
Feb 27, 2010 Hope rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with any sense of humor or adventure.
Recommended to Hope by: Jensen Schlabach
The only reason this book doesn't get five stars from me is because I'm so confused by some things. But I liked it A LOT. A lot a lot.

First, I didn't feel like it really went anywhere. It's like you can tell it's trying to go somewhere but it's not really doing it.
Basically, this book was just full of the flock running, getting caught, running, getting beat up, running, getting chased by the cops, running... Over and over. After a while it was kind of predictable (not to mention painful). It t
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja)
Oct 12, 2011 Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Readers of YA adventure/science fiction novels
Recommended to Danielle The Book Huntress (Self-Proclaimed Book Ninja) by: Diane (firefly)
Alright, I thought the narration on this book was way cheesy initially. But, like the bookcrazy girl I am who is a sucker for a good story, I got sucked in.

This book is many things:

*Fun aimed at kids, but fun that an adult who isn't terribly cynical and superior could enjoy.
*Penetrating, insightful look at human nature and society (don't laugh--it is).
*Utterly disturbing view of the unscrupulous applications of modern science. I truly did feel my stomach lurch at some of the experimentation on
Jennifer Carafa
Mar 20, 2008 Jennifer Carafa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Stephen
1.5 stars. On the "plus" side, this novel has a very interesting premise and the book was a very fast read. On the "negative" side, there is not a whole lot of substance to the story and the character development is weak. I was really hoping that the author would do something really great with the very cool concept of children genetically enhanced with avain DNA, but it just didn't happen. Bottom-line, the book, while not horrible, was one I really didn't like.
luhvBOOKS
Aug 24, 2012 luhvBOOKS rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: The Angel Experiment

Author: James Patterson

Series: Maximum Ride #1

Rating:

Summary: In James Patterson's blockbuster series, fourteen-year-old Maximum Ride, better known as Max, knows what it's like to soar above the world. She and all the members of the "flock"--Fang, Iggy, Nudge, Gasman and Angel--are just like ordinary kids--only they have wings and can fly. It may seem like a dream come true to some, but their lives can morph into a living nightmare at any time...like when Angel, the
Mith
A bizarre plot with a terrible beginning. Without any sort of background we are plunged into action. It works for Riordan but unfortunately not here. Could not bring myself to read past the first 20 pages.

P.S - Mr. Patterson? Kids do NOT speak like that. You just sound like an adult trying too hard to talk in a way he thinks kids these days might talk.
Bad sentence formation just now, you say? Yeah, that about sums up your book.
Kahleia Corpuz
Jan 25, 2016 Kahleia Corpuz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would've been enjoyable if I didn't read the manga and got all the spoilers from that. Also, the chapters weren't very effective when it came to the cliffhangers at the end of it because there were 3 pages in every chapter or less. Personally, I enjoyed this a little less than the manga because it was perfect in that form. It's a very action packed book that deserves the pictures in that manga.
Marian
Jan 25, 2009 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST BOOK SERIES IN THE UNIVERSE OF HUMAN (AND OTHER) KIND!!!!!! yeah.....IM NOT OBSESIVE!! read them....
Iris
Dec 06, 2007 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first James Patterson, so I'm not entirely sure about his writing style, but I guess the way he's written this book was as if it was the protagonist. Patterson writes in the voice of the girl hero Maximum Ride, and ends mostly with small cliffhangers, which compels the readers to continue reading. (I couldn't really put it down; I kept wanting to find out what happened to the characters.)
Patterson didn't only place small cliffhangers at the end of the chapters, he added a huge one for
Phrynne
Dec 07, 2014 Phrynne rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I usually really enjoy YA books but this one was more young than it was adult and occasionally irritating because of that. Initially I thought I had picked up the series on the second book because of constant references to what has happened before. I ended up wondering why the author had not started his story at the beginning. His characters were also very poorly drawn which made it difficult to be concerned about any of them. The story did become reasonably exciting and I read through to the en ...more
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
- I need to go on a re-reviewing spree soon. Gosh, my old review made me sound like a huge idiot. YAY. This will be fun. -
Ally (The Scribbling Sprite)
Slightly Snarky review to come. Definitely do not feel the same way about it as I did in Middle School.

Update: I didn't finish this book the second time around. And I've come to the realization that my Middle School self had different tastes and opinions than my current self.

What's that? You want to me to provide some examples? Well, if you insist...

Here are my opinions on....

THE PLOT

Middle School self: OMGersh, so exciting!

Current, sarcastic self: While hearing everyone talk to each other abou
Amber Robertson
I'm not 100% sure but I'm almost certain I read these about four years ago - borrowing them out from the local library and anxiously waiting for the next one. I heard this has been mad into a movie, with Jenna Marbles as an executive producer, so I kind of want to do a re-read. Just fun facts in a pointless pre-review.
Shirley
Apr 08, 2008 Shirley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Summary: Genetically engineered Max and her friends are 98% human and 2% bird. An adventure story about young adults struggling to survive and discovering whom they are and why they were created along the way.

Personal Response: A very fun and engaging book. I do not know of anyone that has not dreamed they could fly. The characters are enjoyable and the special bond they have with each other and feel they're longing to belong to a family engages you. The characters make the reader think about wh
Elisa
Oct 07, 2008 Elisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
This was my favorite book series so far. It's about a fourteen year old girl who has wings and grows up in a lab. She and her "flock" (AKA family) escape from the lab.
Kat (Lost in Neverland)

Six kids. Max, Fang, Angel, Nudge, Iggy, and the Gasman. All mutants who had escaped from the School, a lab full of insane scientists, many years ago. But they've been found again, and one of their flock, the young Angel, was kidnapped.
And they'll do anything to get her back.
Thus begins a whirlwind of action, adventure, discovering new things, violence, pain, and secrets. But all of this leads Max back to one thing: She has to save the world.

The writing style irritated me at first, but it got
Jonathan

I read The Angel Experiment several years ago, back when the Maximum Ride series was first beginning. It was recommended to me by a friend and I thought that it might be a worthy imaginative children's fiction novel (what is now coming to be dominated by YA novels).

I found that again, as with other YA novels, it was a work of fiction with a strong idea yet poor execution. Now, I do love some works of fiction where the ideas are brilliant and the execution could be a touch better. For instance M
Maximum ride movie ever coming out? 305 1121 Sep 27, 2016 06:54PM
Contemporary YA: Maximum Ride 1 5 Sep 07, 2016 12:14PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Angel Experiment (Maximum Ride #1) by James Patterson - Restarting June 4th 2016 38 37 Jun 12, 2016 08:48PM
institute 3 11 May 13, 2016 03:26PM
Maximum Ride 3 5 May 11, 2016 06:40PM
  • Turnabout
  • The Lost City of Faar (Pendragon, #2)
  • Ninth Grade Slays (The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod, #2)
  • Ark Angel (Alex Rider, #6)
  • Heir Apparent (Rasmussem Corporation, #2)
  • Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)
  • The Cry of the Icemark (The Icemark Chronicles, #1)
  • Moonrise (Warriors: The New Prophecy, #2)
  • Epic (Epic #1)
  • Blue Noon (Midnighters, #3)
  • The Gathering (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #2)
  • Cryptid Hunters (Marty and Grace, #1)
  • Trickster's Choice (Daughter of the Lioness, #1)
  • The Problem Child (The Sisters Grimm, #3)
  • Code Orange
  • Betrayal (Chasing Yesterday, #2)
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...

Maximum Ride (9 books)
  • School's Out—Forever (Maximum Ride, #2)
  • Saving the World and Other Extreme Sports (Maximum Ride, #3)
  • The Final Warning (Maximum Ride, #4)
  • Max (Maximum Ride, #5)
  • Fang (Maximum Ride, #6)
  • Angel (Maximum Ride, #7)
  • Nevermore (Maximum Ride, #8)
  • Maximum Ride Forever (Maximum Ride, #9)

“Man, you weigh a freaking ton," he told me. "What've you been eating, rocks?"
"Why, is your head missing some?" I croaked. His mouth almost quirked in a smile, and that's when I knew how upset he'd been”
1719 likes
“Because what’s worse than knowing you want something, besides knowing you can never have it?” 1626 likes