Start by marking “Salamander Cotton” as Want to Read:
Salamander Cotton

Salamander Cotton (Jacob Tshabalala #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A dark, chilling mystery set in the brooding, atmospheric lands of South Africa

In his debut thriller, Bloody Harvests, Richard Kunzmann gave readers a glimpse into the turbulent South African landscape. Now Detective Inspector Jacob Tshabalala and his former colleague Harry Mason return with another beautifully spellbinding thriller combining murder, revenge, greed, and th
Published November 13th 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published February 3rd 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Salamander Cotton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salamander Cotton

Linda
The story opens with Inspector Jacob Tshabalala being called to the scene of the gruesome murder of Bernard Klamm. The victim's ex-wife isn't that surprised that he was murdered, but wants someone to find out what happened to her daughter, who went missing thirty-nine years previously. Tshabalala calls in his friend and former partner, Harry Mason, to investigate.
This is a complicated tale, and the jumping around chronologically and geographically was sometimes confusing to me. There are lots o
Anik
Spoiler alert!

It's a fairly engaging mystery thriller with a somewhat rushed and unsatisfying ending. The most intriguing part of the mystery - an epidemic of possibly supernatural cases of self-mutilation among 14 year old girls in the area is only briefly explained in the last chapter as something that "probably has some kind of rational explanation if you care to look it up in psychology books". The author makes it almost the center of all the tension only to dismiss it in the end as somethin
Shayla
Well, this is the first book that I have read for the new year, though I started it in 2007.

I had a difficult time getting into it and almost returned it to the library a few times. But I pressed on. I can't say that this book was particularly thrilling or kept me on my toes because it didn't. Instead, I would say that we were given certain bits of information, not in chronological order that provided most of the information and backstory to piece things together and give people motive. Though h
Stephanie Tanton
Excellent mystery set in South Africa. Strong characters compete to solve or hide the cause of an unsolved disappearance of a young woman on an asbestos mine operation. I will be reading more by this author.
Tim
This is a remarkably good read and my second Richard Kunzmann novel. It paints a bleak picture of Apartheid South Africa, but perhaps it is more bleak picture of the industrial revololution taking place anywhere, just that in the West the abuses happened a few years earlier.. But a great read, compelling and descriptive. There were a few red herrings which weren't in my opinion adequately explained and that detracted in the end from my overall enjoyment but all the same well worth the read..
Skip
Having retired to take care of his daughter following his wife's death in Bloody Harvests, Harry is failing as a father and carpenter. His former partner, Jacob, convinces him to work as a private investigator to look into a cold case, which has come to life following a vicious murder. Well written and suspenseful.
Sammarks
This was one of the best books I have read of this genre. Not as obviously formulaic as some and I had to stay up late to finish it ;) I would agree the ending appeared a little rushed (or was it that I was rushing to finish it!)
RUSA CODES
This is a Read-Alike title for A Beautiful Place to Die, the Reading List winner in the Mystery category for 2010. For the complete list, go to http://ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/rusa/aw...
Nicholas
This is one of the better South African crime novels. It takes place primarily in the Northern State and looks into the asbestos industry.
Amanda Patterson
Good idea and a good read.It would have been better if there weren't so many characters floating around in it.
Ryanie Primrose
Totally brilliant Author.
Cant wait for the 4th book.
Currently reading Dead End Road.
Tammy Flanders
Did not finish.
Margaret
Margaret marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Durinda
Durinda marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Nuala Magnus
Nuala Magnus marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Dion
Dion marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2013
Jordan McPeek
Jordan McPeek marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Richard Kunzmann published his first police procedural in the UK at the tender age of 26, and Bloody Harvests was immediately short-listed for the Crime Writers Association’s lucrative J.C.W. Creasy Award for Best New Novel, in 2002. Publication of Bloody Harvests and his second thriller, Salamander Cotton , quickly followed in all English language territories.

The Washington Post has described his
More about Richard Kunzmann...

Jacob Tshabalala (3 books)
  • Bloody Harvests
  • Dead-End Road
Bloody Harvests Dead-End Road Blutige ernte Bloody Harvests (Jeremiah Spur Mysteries) Brennende Erde