Start by marking “The Thirteen Books of the Elements, Books 1 - 2” as Want to Read:
The Thirteen Books of the Elements, Books 1 - 2

The Thirteen Books of the Elements, Books 1 - 2 (The Elements #1)

Volume 1 of 3-volume set containing complete English text of all 13 books of the Elements plus critical apparatus analyzing each definition, postulate, and proposition in great detail. Covers textual and linguistic matters; mathematical analyses of Euclid's ideas; commentators; refutations, supports, extrapolations, reinterpretations and historical notes. Vol. 1 includes I
Published June 1st 1956 by Dover Publications

Alan
Jan 14, 2008 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics, mathematics
Required reading. School geometry is now algebraic. This is visual and thinking math stripped bare.
Shauna
Jan 01, 2008 Shauna rated it it was amazing
If you've ever wanted to know how to prove the Pythagorean Theorem geometrically, this is your book.
lindsie
Jul 24, 2008 lindsie rated it it was amazing
Pretty, elegant , and just plain fun. The end of book one makes a great first date.
Mitch Anderson
May 07, 2017 Mitch Anderson rated it really liked it
While the commentary throughout exhibits some fantastic insights, the curious reader may find themselves less interested in the simplicity put forth by Euclid and more focused on dissecting the extensive tangents of Mr. Heath. Regardless, the general content is still very much in tact and solely focusing on it will no doubt reveal much to any reader of any mathematical background.
Joe
Aug 04, 2008 Joe rated it it was ok
Shelves: physics
The Elements is a very dense text about the vagaries of the history of Euclidian geometry. I was initially under the impression that this would be an in depth treatment of the math itself, but it's much more of an historic and almost philosophical account of how The Elements were assembled.

Much of the deconstruction is very interesting as it compares myriad definitions of the very basics of geometry. For example, a source believed to be Euclid said a line is made up of a collection of infinitel
Jeremiah
Feb 29, 2008 Jeremiah rated it liked it
I read half of this book simply to teach myself how to follow an air-tight deductive argument (and believe me, I'm still learning). Math isn't my strongest subject, but I was genuinely astounded when I read the first proof (an equilateral triangle); I just sat there staring at the pages wondering how this man just proved the thing exactly as he intended. For my simple mind it was deceptively simple yet profound. 99% of people will be bored by this book, and even I dropped it after a while, but i ...more
Alexander Robert
Jul 16, 2007 Alexander Robert rated it liked it
Euclid's influence is both unfortunate and undeserved. While much of what he puts forth in this book has been regarded as crucial to the creation of modern mathematics, in truth it is a poor substitute for the Conics of Apollonius and the works of Archimedes. At best this book is like a pistol--it has a few uses, but should always be respected as somewhat dangerous, and kept away from children if possible.

It is important to note that mathematical rigor is not the same thing as truth. Though Eucl
Don
Aug 28, 2015 Don rated it it was amazing
Heath's notes are extensive and excellent. In the notes to any given definition or proposition, he gives the whole range of commentary and mathematical development from ancient to modern (and not just western commentaries either). And most importantly, he gives both the Greek and the English, including the Greek of the commentators!

In many ways, this is the perfect book: affordable, extensive and useful scholarly apparatus, original language alongside decent translation, readable fonts, and help
Ryan
Jan 24, 2013 Ryan rated it liked it
Although I do not personally enjoy geometrical proofs, I thought it was fascinating to know how Euclid has influenced Western Civilization. All of those philosophers who based their thought solely on reason were wholly influenced by Euclid's concept of proving something only if it is 100% certain. Even for someone who does not truly enjoy geometry, Euclid is an important read because of his tremendous influence on Western civilization.
Doug Cannon
Feb 13, 2008 Doug Cannon rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed learning Euclidian geometry from the master himself, Euclid.

This isn't really a book that you read, per se, but it was great to go through each of Euclid's proofs and try them out for myself.

Leah
Feb 11, 2008 Leah rated it it was amazing
Frustrating book for me, because I assume so much, and Euclid did not leave anything to the 'imagination'. Incredible book for those who want to learn about organizing thoughts for debates; necessary book for learning about law and logic.
Alex
Jun 23, 2009 Alex rated it really liked it
Shelves: sjca, science
SJCA - Mathematics and Natural Science
April
Feb 09, 2011 April rated it really liked it
Loved it! Learned a lot, a must read.
Joshua Rohloff
Feb 10, 2013 Joshua Rohloff rated it did not like it
Shelves: omnibus-iv
Didn't even finish it. Dense and hard to follow. What is up with the Greek notes?
Chas Bayfield
May 11, 2013 Chas Bayfield rated it it was ok
I read this because it got a name check in 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'. Sadly my brain was too small. Plugged through to the end though, which felt pretty virtuous...
Ty
Aug 19, 2008 Ty rated it liked it
Working through and memorizing the individual proofs was an interesting and sometimes fun experience. What I really learned from the Elements was the power and influence of basic assumptions.
Dianna Caley
Mar 19, 2014 Dianna Caley rated it really liked it
This was fun to read. I haven't done proofs since high school. I forgot how much fun they are.
Kellie
Jun 10, 2014 Kellie rated it liked it
I read this, "proved" most of the propositions, and understood about 1/3 of it.
Karen
Oct 18, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
This is a very eloquent beautiful study of math.
Ian
Ian rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2008
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2017
Chander2
Chander2 rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2007
Jake Whitlatch
Jake Whitlatch rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2014
Joann Hutto
Joann Hutto rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2013
M. Jon & Laura Reagan
M. Jon & Laura Reagan rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2017
eric
eric rated it it was amazing
Sep 10, 2010
Nicholeen
Nicholeen rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2013
Earl Solper
Earl Solper rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2011
Kodi
Kodi rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2014
L.M. Smith
L.M. Smith rated it liked it
May 14, 2012
  • Principia: Vol. I: The Motion of Bodies
  • Epitome of Copernican Astronomy and Harmonies of the World
  • Single Variable Essential Calculus: Early Transcendentals
  • Contemporary Abstract Algebra
  • A Course of Pure Mathematics
  • The Works of Archimedes
  • On the Motion of the Heart and Blood in Animals
  • The Portable Greek Historians: The Essence of Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Polybius
  • Topology
  • Ptolemy's Almagest
  • Real Analysis
  • Mathematical Proofs: A Transition to Advanced Mathematics
  • Topics in Algebra
  • Discrete Mathematics and its Applications
  • Mathematics for the Nonmathematician (Books Explaining Science)
  • Introduction to Graph Theory
  • The Princeton Companion to Mathematics
  • An Introduction to Mathematics
Euclid (Ancient Greek: Εὐκλείδης Eukleidēs -- "Good Glory", ca. 365-275 BC) also known as Euclid of Alexandria, was a Greek mathematician, often referred to as the "Father of Geometry". He was active in Alexandria during the reign of Ptolemy I (323–283 BC). His Stoicheia (Elements) is a 13-volume exploration all corners of mathematics, based on the works of, inter alia, Aristotle, Eudoxus of Cnidu ...more
More about Euclid...