Start by marking “The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood, #1)

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (Sisterhood #1)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  426,841 ratings  ·  5,482 reviews
FOUR VERY DIFFERENT FRIENDS. ONE PAIR OF MAGICAL PANTS. AND A SUMMER APART ...

We, the Sisterhood, hereby instate the following rules to govern the use of the Traveling Pants:

1. You must never wash the Pants.

2. You must never double-cuff the Pants. It's tacky. There will never be a time when this will not be tacky.

3. You must never say the word "phat" while wearing the Pant
Published September 24th 2002 by Delacorte (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, please sign up.

Rebecca Lestrange I think it's a good story so far. I'm enjoying it. But, to know if YOU like it, you'll just have to read it :-)
Amber Guevara
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Namratha
A sparkling breath of fresh air, this book captures the spirit of friendship in the most charming and sauciest manner possible.

The book is a far cry from the regular breed of YA novels which seem to dwell on the fixed notions that young girls basically fall into two main groups: One, the hatefully pretty, perpetually scheming Prom Queens with their nastier than “week-ol’ milk” cliques! And at the other end of the rainbow, the brave under-dog...not much to look at, the general do-gooder, the f
Briynne
This is beginning to feel a little too familiar, but here's yet another disapointment from my YA Lit class. First, I should state that I have never liked the whole "girl power" thing. I guess I always felt intelligent/empowered enough as a teenager to not have to rely on books like this to show me how fantastic it is to be female. Also, generally speaking, I find large groups of girls terrifying, especially at the high school age. So lots of pre-existing strikes against this book.

As for the sto
Erin
We, the Sisterhood, hereby instate the following rules to govern the use of the Traveling Pants.
1.) You must never wash the Pants.
2.) You must never double-cuff the Pants. It's tacky. There will never be a time when this will not be tacky.
3.) You must never say the word "phat" while wearing the Pants. You must also never think "I am fat" while wearing the Pants...

So begins the first summer apart for four friends: Lena, who is going to visit her grandparents in Greece with her sister; Carmen, hea
Hannah G.
Wow! If you are a teen girl looking for some love stories between friends and their SUPER-HOT boyfriends, well look no further then the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series! This book is about the 4 best friends Bridget, Carmen, Tibby, and Lena when they split up for the summer. With the Pants binding them together wherever they go, their summers are no longer lonely. The Pants witness all break - ups and get togethers and are often shipped with hysterical letters that will make you laugh ou ...more
Julie
Charlotte
What an annoying book.
I was going to write snarky, individual letters to each of the characters in succession, but then I realized that it was a pointless endeveaour since all the letters would end up the same, anyway. Why, you ask? Because all the characters are the same.
Would you like to know some personality traits? It's like the author picked one or two for each of the characters and then relied on either one or the other to simply parasail each of the girls through the book.

There was Lena
Antof9
Must quote from the back of the book, as I love it :)

4. You must never let a boy take off the Pants (although you may take them off yourself in his presence).
5. You must not pick your nose while wearing the Pants. You may, however, scratch casually at your nostril while really kind of picking.

I
Sierra
I was almost ashamed to love this book, because I'm REALLY not one for "chick lit"...give me Gothic or intrigue any day! However, I think this series is really exceptional. The experiences cannot be typified -although there is romance, I appreciate how it does not fall into the "crush/agony/happily-ever-after" triptych that is common to most "chick lit" novels.

I think Ann Brashares is remarkably gifted at describing emotions and experiences -she chooses seemingly minor incidents and trains her
Robin
It wasn't as good as I'd hoped, but it was okay. Let me just say that if I ever find a pair of magic jeans that make me look fabulous I'M NOT SHARING!
Lisa
This book took me completely by surprise. I wasn't planning on reading it but the movie was coming on and I decided I should read the book first before watching the film. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants is a story with an awful premise that was surprisingly well-executed.

Going into it, I expected some silly, shallow book about four teenage girls falling in love over one summer, but instead this book focused on the exploration of family dysfunction, death, and the bonds of friendship. The
Amy
Kind of creative, a little irritating at times...
Karly *The Vampire Ninja & Luminescent Monster*
My review of The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.....

I understood going into this book that is probably wasn't going to be the book for me. A story of four best friends and the lessons learned on the first summer they spent apart *cue the sappy ass rom-com music* Whatever!

I could sit here and go on and on about all the disasters that happen in this book and why it terrifies me that these "coming of age" stories are so well received by teenage girls but someone has probably done that better tha
Victoria Scott
This book was on my TBR for way, way too long. In fact, I even watched the movie first! I am so happy I finally got around to reading this
I fell in love with their friendship right from the beginning. These four lived for each other, and were completely lost when they were apart. I desperately want a friendship like that. They weren't afraid of anything when they were with each other. Even when they were spread out all over the world, they didn't stop writing, or talking about each other. I abso
La Mala
EDIT: Mayo, 2015

No puede creer que tuve que leer este libro para estudiarlo, y analizarlo, y ni siquiera entró en el final que di XD

Reseña Original: Diciembre, 2014

3.5

Muy entretenido. No pierde tiempo ni párrafos con amores imposibles como eje de la vida de los adolescentes, sino que se toma el trabajo de centrar la historia, no sobre el mundo de una quinceañera girando en torno al resto y como los demás reaccionan a ella, sino más bien sobre como reaccionan las adolescentes a sus propias accion
Melissa
I had seen previews for the movie adaptation of this book and it made me mildly curious. When I found the book on clearance I stopped having excuses on why I hadn't read it yet. I enjoyed the book for the most part, there were a few slow moving areas and a couple things that just made me go "huh?" but otherwise it was definitely a relatable book.

Carmen, Bridget (Bee), Tibby, and Lena have been best friends forever. This summer marks the first one that they will be spending time away from each ot
Susan
Carmen got the jeans at a thrift shop. They didn’t look all that great: they were worn, dirty, and speckled with bleach. On the night before she and her friends part for the summer, Carmen decides to toss them. But Tibby says they’re great. She'd love to have them. Lena and Bridget also think they’re fabulous. Lena decides that they should all try them on. Whoever they fit best will get them. Nobody knows why, but the pants fit everyone perfectly. Even Carmen (who never thinks she looks good in ...more
ClareBear
Mar 25, 2008 ClareBear rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: 10-14 year old girls
Recommended to ClareBear by: My sister
READ THE BOOK BEFORE YOU WATCH THE MOVIE. That is, if you watch the movie at all, which I don't reccomend. But the book is romantic and touching. It will make you laugh and cry at the same time. There are four girls who have been friends their whole lives; Bridget (Bee), Carmen, Lena, and Tibby.
Bridget is a great soccer player with beautiful blond hair. Carmen is a smart, hot-tempered Puerto Rican who treausures their friendship and works to keep them together. Lena is shy and tries to hide he
Beth
Nowadays our mothers act like friendship is an elective - falling somewhere down the list after husbands, children, career, home, money. Somewhere between outdoor grilling and music appreciation. That's not how it is for us. My mom tells me, "Just wait till you get serious about boys and school. Just wait till you start competing." But she's wrong. We won't let that happen to us.

This is my sort of YA. It's messy and complicated and funny and smart and honest and real. It's about friendship and f
Anushka
Dec 21, 2012 Anushka marked it as dropped-and-forgotten  ·  review of another edition
The book was kind of strange, or maybe that's because I don't read this kind of books.
But, well...it wasn't so bad. Someone who is into these kind of books might have liked it more than I did. Not going to read the rest of the series...but will definitely give the movie a try.
Sophie {Bibliophile by Nature}
Disclaimer: I did not read the whole book. I read about 75% of it and then just skipped to the end. My thoughts on this book are a reflection of the portions I did read (which was most of it, trolls, so back off.)
Hmmm. Well, this was a curious little book indeed. I'm not sure if I was surprised or disappointed; I was a mix of both. My feelings for this book can be summed up in one word: meh.
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was a book for book club. As soon as I heard the name "Sisterho
Colleen
Apr 21, 2014 Colleen rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Cristina Boncea
Christina
The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants follows a group of friends Carmen, Lena, Tibby and Bridget as they spend their summers apart. The day before they part ways, they find a pair of pants that fit them all perfectly. What is this madness, you say? Thus begins the journey of the Pants from D.C to Santorini Greece, Charleston, Baja California and back. The girls experience an unforgettable summer and only the Pants know everything.

TSotTP was a delightful read! I especially loved Tibby's journey a
stephanie
my youngest sister got this for me for christmas. i admit it took me a while to pick it up, mostly because the premise seemed so ridiculous.

but then i read it. and i fell in love: with carmen's temper, and lena's hidden feelings, and EFFIE, and BEE's misdirected passion, and tibby's cynical nature crossed with bailey's infinite wisdom and brian at the dragon master video machine.

i love the septembers. i adore their friendship, and their letters, and the way they are there for each other, and t
Bookkaholic Magazine
(See our full review over at Bookkaholic.) There's something magical about those summers in high school, filled with possibilities and new experiences. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants speaks to that, while also celebrating women and female friendships. There's romance, but there's also a healthy dose of self-awareness, self-discovery, and inner strength formed in each character. A fast read with substance, set in the glorious summer days of youth.
Nicola
I am quite torn about how many stars to give this one. If it were possible to give 3.5 stars then I would because I feel that's more appropriate than 3 or 4. I liked it a lot. For a light, girly, summer read it was good. The writing was a bit choppy throughout but I got used to it and stopped noticing after a while. I liked Tibby best out of all the girls. She was the most interesting and the least self-absorbed. Parts of it were really sweet and funny though it did drag at parts. It was okay ov ...more
Dini
A warm tale of teen female friendship, with a pair of magical jeans thrown in the background. I watched the movie first, and I found some differences from the original (such as Lena's love story, which is too cliche in the movie, IMHO) but I like them both. Now I'm in the mood for a new pair of jeans and the rest of the books in this series.

"You know what the secret is? It's so simple. We love one another. We're nice to one another. Do you know how rare that is?"
Liz

I remember reading this book and falling in love with it right away. I really enjoyed all of the characters. One of the things that immediately struck me was how funny this book is. However, I also thought that it provided a range of life lessons that a lot of Brashares' readers could likely relate to. There were definitely parts where my eyes would get foggy and I put down the book feeling like I really knew the characters.
Brigid *Flying Kick-a-pow!*
I'm not sure why I like these books so much, or what makes them so lovable. I guess I just like the idea of these four girls being friends for so long, and how their stories are connected through the Traveling Pants. Overall, it's a sweet story. (The other books in the series are not so innocent, though...)
Joanna
Light and as enjoying as the film! :) Best to read when you want to just lift your mood, smile, and remember your times with childhood best friends.
  • On the Bright Side, I'm Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God (Confessions of Georgia Nicolson, #2)
  • Forever Princess (The Princess Diaries, #10)
  • The Secrets of Peaches (Peaches, #2)
  • Spells & Sleeping Bags (Magic in Manhattan, #3)
  • Second Helpings (Jessica Darling, #2)
  • Footfree & Fancyloose (Bass Ackwards and Belly Up, #2)
  • The Year of Secret Assignments (Ashbury/Brookfield, #2)
  • Gingerbread (Cyd Charisse, #1)
  • The Boy Book: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them (Ruby Oliver, #2)
  • Rebel Angels (Gemma Doyle, #2)
  • Absolutely Normal Chaos
  • A Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life
  • Only in Your Dreams (Gossip Girl, #9)
Ann Brashares grew up in Chevy Chase, Maryland, with three brothers and attended a Quaker school in the D.C. area called Sidwell Friends. She studied Philosophy at Barnard College, part of Columbia University in New York City. Expecting to continue studying philosophy in graduate school, Ann took a year off after college to work as an editor, hoping to save money for school. Loving her job, she ne ...more
More about Ann Brashares...

Sisterhood (5 books)
  • The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #2)
  • Girls In Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #3)
  • Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #4)
  • Sisterhood Everlasting (Sisterhood, #5)
The Second Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #2) Girls In Pants: The Third Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #3) Forever in Blue: The Fourth Summer of the Sisterhood (Sisterhood, #4) Sisterhood Everlasting (Sisterhood, #5) The Last Summer (of You and Me)

“Maybe the truth is, there's a little bit of loser in all of us. Being happy isn't having everything in your life be perfect. Maybe it's about stringing together all the little things.” 1410 likes
“Maybe, sometimes, it's easier to be mad at the people you trust because you know they'll always love you, no matter what.” 724 likes