Start by marking “The Private Eye, Volume One” as Want to Read:
The Private Eye, Volume One

The Private Eye, Volume One (The Private Eye #1-5)

Welcome to Panel Syndicate, where artist Marcos Martin and writer Brian K. Vaughan deliver original comics directly to readers around the world, who pay whatever the hell they want for each DRM-free issue. Our first new storyline is THE PRIVATE EYE, a forward-looking mystery we created with colorist Muntsa Vicente. Set in a future where privacy is considered a sacred right ...more
Published March 12th 2014 by Panel Syndicate

To ask other readers questions about The Private Eye, Volume One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Private Eye, Volume One

BlueLilyxLilyBlue
We're only as sick as our secrets.

This was good. In fact, it was very good.

Can you imagine what it would be like when all your secrets that you think the internet could keep goes out in the open? Can you imagine how someone's search history could ruin someone's reputation?

That was exactly what happened to the world where Private Eye is set. It's pretty genius.

The main protagonist, PI, is a private investigator in a world where being one is illegal. I think, it's even illegal to be a paparazz
Sam Quixote
Mar 26, 2014 Sam Quixote rated it it was amazing
A man with a camera lurks in the shadows of a building looking across at a building opposite where a beautiful woman is undressing. She takes off her coat; she takes off her jewellery; she takes off her dress; and then she takes off her skin to reveal another person underneath!!! The world of the future is a pretty weird place to say the least!

In 2075 the internet is no more. Everyone stored information in The Cloud until The Cloud “burst” and ruined everyone’s lives. Search histories, recorded
Bogdan
Jan 03, 2016 Bogdan rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
In the begining I was thinking that this will be only a one volume story but it looks that it will be a longer run.

A science fiction detective story with all the advantages the future could offer. I loved the artwork. There are really some ingenious stuff like the thing with the masks. Philip K. Dick had some story about something like this.

The settings and the troubled main hero are the strong points in here because the story itself isn`t somekind of a big mistery.

But it`s an interesting start…
Tar (Smoke)
Sep 05, 2015 Tar (Smoke) rated it really liked it
Algunas partes son mejores que otras en cuanto a ritmo narrativo pero la historia y la ambientación son muy buenas.

Además los guiños culturales son geniales y el diseño es una pasada.

Al final del archivo venían bocetos y el texto que Vaughan mandó al dibujante para contarle la historia y ha sido un detalle que me ha encantado.

El cómic lo dan por la voluntad en su página web http://panelsyndicate.com/ pero el donativo puede ser también de cero euros si no tenéis un duro. Está para elegir en ing
Alex Sarll
Saga is one of the most-loved comics of the moment, but lots of people (including me, until yesterday) don't seem to be paying anything like the same attention to the writer's other current series. Perhaps that's because it's online-only - a wonderfully perverse delivery system for a story set in a post-internet future (the cloud burst). Removing so much of the modern world at a stroke is of course a way of talking about the modern world, but also enables a retro-futurist noir story, all gumshoe ...more
Jim Ef
Apr 14, 2015 Jim Ef rated it it was amazing
Wow!!!!! So good!!!!! I was expecting something good from the man that writes one of my favorite series (Saga) but this is just amazing. The story pulls you in it from the first page and the art is......pfffff fantastic. Can't find other words, just read it
Cristhian
Oct 29, 2014 Cristhian rated it it was amazing
Es increíble lo que Brian K. Vaughan, Marcos Martin y Muntsa Vicente están haciendo.
Si bien no es algo innovador (que la gente pague lo que cree que vale el comic) sí ofrece cosas que no se han visto mucho:

Por el mismo precio (desde 1 dolar/euro) puedes obtener tu copia electrónica en alta definición en varios lenguajes. El comic está pensado para ser leído en tablet/celular/pc por su ratio. ¿Lo mejor de todo? La historia y el contenido gráfico es de lo mejor que hay actualmente, sinceramente h
Hector Ibarraran
Dec 08, 2015 Hector Ibarraran rated it really liked it
An awesome story about a future where privacy is paramount, and information belongs to only the privileged. This book asks wether the "good ol days" before the Internet were really all that good, but it doesn't give an answer, rather, it gives you a lot to think about.
Lionel
Dec 29, 2015 Lionel rated it really liked it
As much as I love this futuristic universe (and damn, I LOVE IT), as much the story is typical of a noir crime story
Maya
Aug 02, 2015 Maya rated it really liked it
Yes. It's SAGA meets crime/detective/noir, set in the future, with the main theme being identity. Rich writing complemented with whimsical art and bright colors. I can't wait to read Book Two!
Karen
Feb 01, 2016 Karen added it
Shelves: comics, sci-fi, adult
The character designs based on Nick Cave's soundsuits!! So awesome.
Steven Matview
Oct 31, 2015 Steven Matview rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Society is more concerned with anonymity than ever in this futuristic noir comic by Brian K Vaughan and Marcos Martin.
gramps

Originally released in digital-only issues formatted specifically for tablet reading, "The Private Eye" takes place in a possible future of our own, one where everyone’s personal info - from revealing photos to angry emails - is made public in an event known as the “cloud burst.”

Imagine your family members getting a hold of your complete browser history from the moment you firs
Wendy
Sep 28, 2014 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Clicking Amazon’s “one-click” button to make a purchase with a credit card. The latest celebrity harassed with leaked photos. These are examples of how much faith we put in the technology that connects us; technology that has come to dictate our day-to-day way of life. But what happens when that technology fails all of us, unleashing our personal information and our dirty little secrets to the world. This is the concept behind The Private Eye, a comic that my thoughts spin back to every time I ...more
Michel
Aug 30, 2015 Michel rated it liked it
Iedereen stak heel zijn leven in de cloud, tot de meest intieme details, in de zekerheid dat het wel veilig zou zijn.En dan regende het veertig dagen en veertig nachten geheimen en persoonlijke gegevens, en was de hele wereld zijn onschuld en illusies kwijt.

En nu leven we, tientallen jaren later, in een wereld zonder internet. Waar privacy en persoonsgegevens het hoogste goed zijn, iedereen minstens één andere identiteit heeft, en "paparazzi" (een combinatie van journalist en privé-detective) ui
Alan Chen
Jan 13, 2016 Alan Chen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
It's 2075 and where in a world where the internet is no more. The cloud was cracked and everybody's personal information was leaked which caused worldwide calamity because everyone has secrets and that'll get them in trouble. Present day: there's a wonderwall around L.A. protecting it from feast/famine that infests the outside world. News reporters have the job of policing and everyone where's masks to protect their personal identity. Taj enters the Private Eyes office to have him investigate ...more
Nigel
Oct 31, 2014 Nigel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, fiction
The first half of Vaughan and Martin's digital yarn, set in a post-internet, hyper-private future where everyone wears masks and adopts fake names in public and policing is done by reporters, the PI tracks down the secrets, dirty or otherwise, you might once have googled or stalked Facebook for. Hired by a young woman to investigate herself to ensure that her past will stay hidden in the course of a (rare) employment background check, he figures the job is done when the client turns up dead, but ...more
Toby
Sep 01, 2015 Toby rated it really liked it
So some time around the celebrity phone hacking scandal I had this great idea for a book where everything everyone's ever done on the internet is revealed to the world, imagining what life might be like thereafter, with people donning masks to hid their identity, etc. Better write this soon, I thought, before something else big happens (hello, Ashley Madison!) Well, it turns out in an uncanny twist of fate that someone has already written this book, right down to the masks! Never mind, it's far ...more
Mars Dorian
Jul 01, 2015 Mars Dorian rated it it was amazing
Wow, what a comic book series. It's making me bonkers in the badonkas.

This is a setting that I've never read before--the cloud exposes everyone's online information and now everyone is obsessed about their privacy, hiding behind fake avatars and pseudo-personalities in a futuristic, hipster LA. The main character steals information for a living and gets soaked up in a huuuge conspiracy. Nicey.

I've read the first five issues at the speed of my melon lemonade. One bottle, and the 150+ pages were g
Amy!
I think I need to re-read this one. I read it in fits and starts, so my experience was a little disjointed. I enjoyed it. I'm super intrigued by this post-internet world Vaughan has created, and I think the art really suits the story. The art also reminds me of something else I've seen, but I can't think now what it is (that's a super helpful comment). Vaughan & Martin do a lot of sweeping two page spreads with smaller panels pulling out specific action shots, which is very visually ...more
Antonis Lamnatos
Oct 02, 2015 Antonis Lamnatos rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I've never read such a colourful noire detective story before. Luscious retrofuturistic architecture with bold colour contrasts that never feels out of place and time. The brilliance and variety of the endless stream of costumes & masquerades transcend in audacity even the Fifth Element's wardrobe. The clean, flat drawings capture both the details of characters and settings while bringing alive the dynamism of the story's many energetic sequences.

The story is highly topical, a what-if scenar
Drsilent
Aug 23, 2015 Drsilent rated it really liked it
There are two collected volumes to this graphic novel, this covers both of them.

It is a clever little bit of speculative fiction, set somewhere around the end of the 21st century after the Internet disappeared following some catastrophic breach of privacy. Now everyone wears fake identities in public, the police and the press have merged into one entity, and networked computers are a thing only oldsters can remember.

The story itself is entertaining enough but frankly secondary to the depiction o
Pturingan
Apr 28, 2014 Pturingan rated it it was amazing
Cool suspense story! GREAT ART! Pay whatever price you want for the ebook! It's so good that I'd gladly buy a physical copy if they ever decide to print this.

I'm really glad that Brian K. Vaughan is back writing comics after a not-so-brief hiatus. And it always nice to see Marcos Martin doing interior art again as all I see of his work these days are his amazing covers for Marvel. He's got a Ditko-esque style that I really like.

You can download these comics over at the Panel Syndicate website an
Women Write About Comics
Feb 08, 2015 Women Write About Comics rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collections, comics
Wendy writes: "Clicking Amazon’s “one-click” button to make a purchase with a credit card. The latest celebrity harassed with leaked photos. These are examples of how much faith we put in the technology that connects us; technology that has come to dictate our day-to-day way of life. But what happens when that technology fails all of us, unleashing our personal information and our dirty little secrets to the world. This is the concept behind The Private Eye, a comic that my thoughts spin back to ...more
Jordan
Jul 22, 2016 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una lectura altamente recomendada, por qué verla como un "oráculo" del futuro de la sociedad (Ironic Mode On: La moda cada vez es más extraña, y las modificaciones biológicas en un humanos apenas empiezan) una trama bien construida, una narración limpia y sin derroches.

Por demás me resulta halagador la manera de divulgación del cómic, es una de las más maneras que he encontrado de como un producto/obra llega a los consumidores/lectores.

PD: En mi cabeza resuena tanto ahora con el boom de #MrRobot
Terrence
Apr 08, 2014 Terrence rated it it was amazing
Collecting the first five issues (still at the pay-what-you-want rate) of the digital comic, vol one of THE PRIVATE EYE is pure awesome. It's the year 2076, decades after everyone's personal info on The Cloud became accessible to all.

That's right, there's no internet. But there is murder and this is a murder mystery in a future that we wouldn't recognise.

Seriously, a fun comic. Issue #6 is out - and that's approximately the half way point (they plan/expect it to run about twelve issues...)

Join
Teena
Nov 11, 2014 Teena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Such a good read! Private investigators (called paparazzi) and secret identities set in a post Cloud burst world. Interesting world, fun characters, a must read for comic fans out there. The art is striking and fits this world perfectly =)

I'm currently reading the most recent issues. Definitely check this out if you have time. Here is the link: http://panelsyndicate.com/ (it's only available in digital form). Pay what you can--all the money goes towards the author and artist.

5 out of 5 stars.
Luis Reséndiz
Sep 16, 2014 Luis Reséndiz rated it really liked it
Shelves: canasta-básica
impresionante. desde el arte, que es colorido, repleto de inesperadas imaginaciones, hasta el argumento, complejo y progresivamente retorcido, dispuesto a emitir una sórdida revelación a cada paso, the private eye amerita lectura atenta, siempre con la mente en el noir cinematográfico y literario, pero también gozosa, capaz de la suspensión de incredulidad y el asombro. un cómic que bien podría encaminarse a la repisa de los grandes del medio de los dosmiles para acá.
Gustavo
Feb 20, 2016 Gustavo rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Me pareció muy bueno, una historia por ahora simple con un mundo que es como una versión del mundo de Top 10 de Moore pero en vez de super héroes esta es solo gente con trajes. Es muy entretenido y original, el arte tiene sus momentos flojos pero en general es muy bueno y aprovecha muy bien el formato raro del comic. Veremos que onda el volumen dos.

Pueden conseguir el comic al precio que quieran pagar (en inglés y en español) acá: http://panelsyndicate.com/
Paul Allard
Dec 15, 2015 Paul Allard rated it it was amazing
Futuristic science-fiction private investigator story

An unlicensed journalist/private eye gets involved in a case with dark consequences (murder, cults). Set in a future in which the internet cloud has burst and everybody’s secrets were revealed. Now people wear masks to hide their identity as the only means to keep secrets. The Press are the only ones investigating crime.

This is engaging and entertaining, colourful and well-illustrated. Highly recommended
Félix Soto
Sep 04, 2016 Félix Soto rated it really liked it
Me encantan los neo-noirs, aparte del trasfondo del cómic. La nube/Internet explota y los secretos de todos son revelados. Familias destruidas, amistades, trabajos perdidos. Y el Mundo se fuerza a evolucionar, ahora la mayoría se esconde tras disfraces y mascaras siendo quien realmente son y con gran libertad.
  • The Fade Out: Act Two
  • NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E.: Ultimate Collection
  • The Mire
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 5
  • Jupiter's Legacy, Book One
Born in Cleveland in 1976, Brian K. Vaughan is the Eisner, Harvey, and Shuster Award-winning writer and co-creator of the critically acclaimed comics series Y: The Last Man, Runaways, and Ex Machina (picked as one of the ten best works of fiction of 2005 by Entertainment Weekly).

Recently named "Writer of the Year" by Wizard Magazine, and one of the “top ten comic writers of all time” by Comic Boo
More about Brian K. Vaughan...

The Private Eye (10 books)
  • The Private Eye #1