Start by marking “Secrets In The Shadows” as Want to Read:
Secrets In The Shadows

Secrets In The Shadows

In 1920s Blackpool, eleven year old Rose wanders away from her parents and has a unique gift bestowed upon her. This gift will leave a haunting legacy, seeping down through the generations…
Decades later, Louisa has a vision of her mother walking into the sea. This isn’t the first time it happens and it won’t be the last, but what she sees isn’t always what she wants. The r
Kindle Edition
Published 2014 by Harper Impulse

To ask other readers questions about Secrets In The Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secrets In The Shadows

Hani Tiara
Nov 27, 2016 Hani Tiara rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read
Not bad at all for a debut novel! What I like the most about this book is that it's so unpredictable, I just want to flip the pages until the end to know what happen to Rose, Louisa & Grace. The only reason this book lack one star from me is because I didn't really like the writing style and I think the author keep repeating some unnecessary part.
Erin
Jun 24, 2014 Erin rated it it was amazing
Firstly thank you to Hannah for sending me a copy of this book to review, and also for providing a copy to giveaway on the 24th June in my blog anniversary giveaway! So make sure you check back then, when you will have a chance to win other Harper Impulse titles too!

The story is about three generations of women from the same family, three women who have the gift of being able to see into future, but through the years it turns out it can be just as much of a curse as it is gift.

The three main nar
Jane Hunt
Apr 01, 2014 Jane Hunt rated it it was amazing
Secrets In The Shadows by Hannah Emery

Jane Hunt Writer First Steps

Jane Hunt Writer Book Reviews Google+

'Secrets in the Shadows' is a romantic saga spanning three generations of women over two centuries. The writing style makes easy reading but this story is extraordinary. A strange mystical thread binds each generation. In a battle of fate versus free will can Grace and Elsie stop their hereditary gift from becoming a curse and avoid past tragedies?

Moving seamlessly through the twentieth into the twenty-first century interwoven his
Anne Mackle
Sep 11, 2014 Anne Mackle rated it really liked it
This story is told over three generation of women. A thread of the supernatural runs through the story as the women seemed to be blessed with a second sight. Whether it's a blessing or a curse is still to be seen as each goes down the same road which ends in disaster. One of them has to break the chain and go against what her future shows so that future generations will lead a normal life.

The three stories are told in such a clever way making them seamless. I didn't want to leave one story and
Kimi
Mar 05, 2016 Kimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 7/10

Following three generations of women, Secrets in the Shadows is the story of a gift - or is it a curse? - bestowed upon her whilst on a family holiday to Blackpool in the 1920′s. This gift trickles down through the women of the family, leading us to modern-day Blackpool…

Blackpool is my hometown, and also the hometown of Hannah Emery, so I was delighted to read this. Emery has researched the history of Blackpool to perfection - from it’s holiday haven ‘golden years’ of the 20′s, to th
Georgina Fox
This book was phenomenal.

I was swept up in the stories of Rose, Louisa, Grace and Elsie from page one.

The third person writing style usually annoys me, and I struggle to connect with characters in books written this style, but I barley noticed!

I loved this story, it made me smile, gave me feels… beautiful.

I read it: on the sofa, in bed, at the bus stop, on the bus and even walked to and from placement with my nose buried in the pages!

My only fault?

It isn't long enough :(
Robyn Koshel
Mar 20, 2014 Robyn Koshel rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed this book. The novel is a triple threaded story. Hannah Emery pulls it off beautifully- at no point through out the story did I get confused or distracted with so much going on.
Secrets in the shadows is a wonderfully written book that is both tender and magical. I loved how the author used real life events like the fire on Blackpool's pier and blended it into her fiction.
I highly recommend this stunning début and I will be looking out for more titles by this author.
Erin
This is a beautiful, layered, delicate book that I went into with no preconceptions at all. Although the concept of a triple-layered tale might intimidate, the plot is subtly fed through, and eventually the separate tales intermingle, and never once was I confused or overwhelmed by information.

When I first saw the cover of this book it reminded me of the cover of Barbara Erskine's masterful timeslip novels, and I'm pleased to report that the contents hold up to that as well.
Alison Jones
Nov 07, 2014 Alison Jones rated it it was amazing
This is the story of a family with a gift passed down the generations and the effect it has on lives of those who inherited it. It is a romance and a tale of redemption but what really made it special to me was it was set in Blackpool. I knew every place she spoke about, I had experienced every atmospheric description she made. I loved it from cover to cover. Hannah Emery lives in Blackpool as do I, so bravo and well done to a local author.
Sue
May 17, 2014 Sue rated it really liked it
Beautifully written with an air of elegance. I was really pulled in by the style of writing. The stories/plot lines both ran alongside and wove in and out of each other with ease. I enjoyed the different time lines and how one impacted on another.
Lindsey Pasifull
Lindsey Pasifull rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2015
Dina
Jul 30, 2014 Dina rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
3.5 stars. Really enjoyed this book and it would have been 4 stars but felt let down by the ending!
Olivia
Olivia rated it it was amazing
Jul 15, 2016
Heidi Yasmin
Heidi Yasmin rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Kelly
Apr 20, 2016 Kelly rated it it was ok
Too many "shadows", not my cup of tea - get a grip ladies!
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2015
Clare
Jun 18, 2014 Clare rated it it was amazing
One word can best describe this novel and that's WOW!
Michelle's Home
Michelle's Home rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2014
Louise Webb
Louise Webb rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Julian Lees
Julian Lees rated it really liked it
May 18, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Sanda
Sanda marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Eve Devon
Eve Devon marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Isabel
Isabel added it
May 19, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
كيمو كيمو
كيمو كيمو marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Stefanie Miller
Stefanie Miller marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Ruth
Ruth marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Holly Gipson
Holly Gipson marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Kasey
Kasey marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2014
Angela Campbell
Angela Campbell marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Ana
Ana marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2015
Hoang Nguyen
Hoang Nguyen marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Book Queen
Book Queen marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Gary
Gary marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Kimi
Kimi marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Angel Nicholas
Angel Nicholas marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Susan
Susan marked it as to-read
May 01, 2015
Ivanna Oltovska
Ivanna Oltovska marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2016
ZiggyF
ZiggyF marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016