Start by marking “Thank You Bear” as Want to Read:

Early one morning, a little bear found a little box. He looked inside. Then he exclaimed,

“Why, it’s the greatest thing ever! Mouse will love this.”

Bear’s friends aren’t so sure of his newfound treasure, however. “That’s not so great,” says Monkey. “I’ve seen those before,” says Owl. And by the time Bear finds Mouse, his own doubts have grown. But Mouse has the last say whe
Published March 15th 2007 by Viking Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Thank You Bear, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thank You Bear

Lisa Vegan
Jun 06, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all young kids; anyone looking for a good story about friendship &/or imagination
I recently read Don't Worry Bear and saw that this book was the first published bear book, and I definitely wanted to read it; I’m so glad I did, and I’ll probably read any other “Bear” books by this author-illustrator.

This is a gentle and sweet story with very young child friendly illustrations. I loved it. The pictures are so simple and so good; they perfectly fit the story.

Bear is wonderful, as is mouse. This is a lovely friendship story and also a terrific story about imagination. Kids also
Ann
Everything from the simple and sweet story to the simple and sweet illustrations captivated me from the beginning and warmed my heart! I love words and illustrations that can use so little and yet convey so much!

Bear wants to give Mouse an empty box, (he thinks it will be the perfect present for Mouse. So happy to have found such a wonderful gift, Bear shares his idea with other animals, but they don't seem to think it's such a great gift. And, after a while, Bear begins to wonder if maybe he wa
Kathryn
Sep 09, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing
Another winner from Greg Foley, this time about generosity and thoughtfulness regarding ones friend and knowing what they really like/need, vs. listening to others trying to shape your view.
Kathy Davie
Dec 09, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book

Part of the Bear picture book series and revolving around a cuddly cub of a Bear.

In 2011, Thank You Bear was nominated for the Goldfinch Award (Iowa PreK-3rd Grade), and in 2008, it won the Charlotte Zolotow Award.

My Take
The spontaneous line drawings are simple with a splash of color that doesn't fill the whole shape, yay! I enjoyed the contrast between the warm white pages with the illustrations opposite the colored pages with the text.

It's a simple story of mystery as Bear gets excited about t
Mary
Sep 23, 2016 Mary rated it it was ok
Mmmeh.
Mahrya
Oct 16, 2008 Mahrya rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Pre-school, 1st and 2nd Graders
Shelves: juvenilia
Foley, Greg. "Thank you Bear," Viking, 2007, unnumbered pages. Beginning reader.

Description: Bear has something in a box that he wants to give to Mouse. Other animals are not impressed. Later we find out that the box is empty, and Mouse thinks it's perfect for crawling up inside.

Review: This picture book/easy reader uses large text, a simple, yet expressive story line and animal characters to teach reading skills to first and second graders. The text itself is large enough for untrained eye mus
Matthew S. Rosin
Greg Foley's Thank You Bear unpacks a big idea: true compassion and friendship mean imagining the needs of another person. Thank You Bear was Foley's first picture book, and what a way to begin, winning the 2008 Charlotte Zolotow Award for children's book writing. The board book edition is one of my favorite books to read with my son.

Bear finds a box on the ground and knows immediately that its contents are perfect for his friend, Mouse. But as Bear searches for his friend, he bumps into other a
babyhippoface
Apr 22, 2008 babyhippoface rated it really liked it
Remember when you were little and you'd find something you thought was really, really neat-o, but when you showed it to other people, they weren't impressed? That's what Bear is going through in this completely adorable picture book. No one Bear meets on his way to show Mouse the little box he's found seems to think his treasure is worthy of noticing, even though he thinks "it's the greatest thing ever!" Oh, but Mouse recognizes its value, and that's what counts to Bear. A picture book gorgeous ...more
Mon Maryum
Oct 28, 2016 Mon Maryum rated it really liked it
Shelves: under-60-pages
This book, though as simple as simple can be, has a great message- it reminded me that there's 'someone for everyone'. I feel like those who got through a break-up would enjoy this message of this book
Shelby Machart
Jan 09, 2017 Shelby Machart rated it it was amazing
I read this little book briefly before purchasing it for Christmas for my nephew. I thought the overall meaning of this book was perfect, and the illustrations were precious. It made me excited to pick out books for children of my own someday.
J
Jan 10, 2017 J rated it really liked it
This is a sweet book that does a good job of keeping kids' attention.
Heather
Giving and Sharing toddler storytime
Kirsten
Oct 07, 2011 Kirsten rated it liked it
Summary

Bear is more than pleased to find a small, empty, brown box. Bear raises his arms in triumph at his find and calls the box "the greatest thing ever!" Believing that it would make an excellent gift for his friend, bear decides to take the box to Mouse. Along the way, he meets Monkey, Owl, Fox, Elephant, Squirrel, and Rabbit, but no one really appreciates his find.

Bear begins to doubt his the value of the box By the time mouse comes around Bear doesn't like the box much at all. After liste
Romanus Elangwe
Apr 12, 2014 Romanus Elangwe rated it liked it
Shelves: friendship
This a story of how a bear went around with a box he thought would be helpful to someone. He met with many who did not find any importance in having that box. The bear did not give up. He wanted to help some one. He sees the box as being important and helpful in some way and would not discard as the owl, squirrel, fox and elephant ignored it. He finally meets with a mouse who admired it and used it as a shelter and home to the satisfaction of the bear.

As the author rightly puts it,"sometimes a b
Carlos Gastelum
Foley, G., E. (2007) Thank you bear. New York, NY: Penguin Group.

Thank You Bear is a wonderful children’s picture book about a bear that finds a box, which he cannot wait to share with his best friend mouse. On his way to show mouse, he stumbles upon other animals such as a monkey, owl, fox, elephant and a bunny who criticize Bear’s gift as being too small, too ordinary or even a better gift for someone else. For this reason Bear begins to question whether or not his gift is even worth giving t
Dione Basseri
Jul 15, 2016 Dione Basseri rated it really liked it
We know our friends, and we know what will make them happy. But when Bear finds a surprise and sets off to give it to his good friend Mouse, an entire menagerie's worth of animals come to tell him how unimpressive the gift is. Brought down by all the ridicule, Bear only just manages to force himself to give Mouse the gift...and finds he was right! It's just what his friend wants!

Quick and cute. Suitable for fairly young kids to have this read to them. The simple text and obvious animals would al
Christine Gray
Mar 05, 2015 Christine Gray rated it it was amazing
Picturebook
Charlotte Zolotow Adward (2008)
Goldfinch Award (Iowa PreKindergarten-3rd grade) Nominee (2011)
Summary:
This little bear was being thoughtful of his friend the mouse. In an attempt to get the box to the mouse he ran across the owl, squirrel, fox, and elephant who were not very impressed by the box. However, the bear continued his journey until he found the mouse. The mouse was delighted and the bear was pleased. The bear's thoughtfulness was appreciated. Th bear did not listen to his fr
Vivian
Sep 10, 2014 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
If I had thought ahead I would have selected plushes for each animal friend bear meets to use with the other activities I did with the children in our "lapsit" story time for 0 - 2 years olds on the theme "PRETEND Bears".
a mouse
a monkey
an owl
a fox
an elephant
a squirrel
and of course a bear.

Amazingly, all the babies gave this book their rapt attention.

Since the story is about a box I followed the story up with our finale` activity -- each baby was given a box (the kind water bottles are shipped in
Heidi-Marie
3/18/10 As cute as the concept is for this book, it's a hard one to read to get the children involved. I suppose I could have had them guess the animals on each page, but I had done that with the previous book and I think they would have tired of it. The simplicity of the pictures caught their attention, though.

3/25/10 Again, the pictures caught the attention of the downtown groups, but the story itself was kind of "eh." I did start having the kids point out things like the squirrel's tail and s
Erica
Apr 02, 2008 Erica rated it it was amazing
Thank You Bear is a simple story about the value of everyday things. Bear finds an empty box and thinks that Mouse would really like it. On the way to find Mouse, Bear meets Elephant, Fox, Owl and many other characters who say that the box is nothing special. Bear begins to doubt whether the box is so great after all. Then Mouse finds him and declares, "This is the best thing ever! Thank you, Bear. ''
The illustrations are simple and beautiful The colorful characters have evocatively expressive
Brooke Shirts
Mar 01, 2008 Brooke Shirts rated it it was amazing
Simple text -- perfect for lap reading or group storytime -- that adroitly captures the way young kids' interests are sometimes marginalized by adults ("'You're not holding it the right way,' said Fox," "'I'm too busy to look right now,' said Rabbit.") but which are ultimately validated by someone person whose opinion matters. Bonus: toddlers LUUURVE naming the animals out loud, and cheering for Bear at the end. "It's the greatest thing ever!"

Winner of the Charlotte Zolotow Award for picture boo
Bethany
Jan 17, 2008 Bethany rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
A very sweet book! Bear's generosity is not appreciated by the other animals - but that is because they each have a unique perspective of the box Bear wants to give to Mouse.

The pages with text are color coordinated to match the corresponding animal that bear is talking with, which was such a subtle relationship that I didn't even notice it on my first few readings.

A wonderful book for demonstrating sharing, generostiy and to a certain degree diversity (in the sense that each animal views the b
Jenna Arntz
Aug 29, 2015 Jenna Arntz rated it really liked it
This is a very simple book. The illustrations are pretty plain, but they get the point across. I would read this story to younger elementary grades, such a kindergarten or first grade. I think this would be good to teach children that even the smallest thing can be helpful to someone. None of the animals cared much about the box until the mouse came along. It turned out that the box was the perfect size for the little mouse. This would also be a good way to teach children about appreciating the ...more
Sheng Yang
Mar 05, 2014 Sheng Yang rated it really liked it
Shelves: march
I think this probably one of the most sweetest and cutest book that I have ever read so far. It really shows compassion and love. The illustration is adorable and easy to follow. The reading is also easy to read too. Its starts out with a bear thinking of giving a box to his friend mouse. He asks other animals for their suggestion, but ultimately it was up to mouse if he liked the box or not. A really wonderful read, I enjoy it and just absolutely adore it. I would recommend this book to childre ...more
Dawn Behrens
Oct 05, 2012 Dawn Behrens rated it it was amazing
From the book: "Sometimes a box is just a box. Sometimes it is much much more. That is what Bear thinks. But not everyone agrees. Until Bear finds someone who sees it differently. Sometimes finding a friend who sees things as you do is the greatest gift of all."

I really like this book. The story is simple, yet interesting for a little one. The illustrations are simple and adorable. This is a good book for reading together and for discussion about friendship, gift-giving, and doing what is import
Amanda
Jan 31, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Thank you bear is about a bear that finds a small box and decides it’s the perfect gift for his friend mouse. On Bears way to find his friend Mouse, he runs into some other friends and shows them the box. None of his other friends think the box is that great and Bear starts to get sad thinking that the box really isn’t that great of a gift. Then Mouse finds Bear sitting on the ground with the box and tells Bear that the box is the greatest gift. This book gives a story on true friendship and sho ...more
Michele
Apr 24, 2016 Michele rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Little Bear is out for a walk when he comes across a small box, he picks it up, sure that his friend will be delighted with the box. As bear continues walking along, he encounters other animals and shows them his box, but unlike bear, the other animals are not impressed, and soon have bear wondering if he made a mistake. It is not until mouse comes along, and bear shares the box with him, that bear realizes that he did not make a mistake...mouse loves his new box! An adorable, simple story about ...more
Rebecca Ann
May 20, 2012 Rebecca Ann rated it really liked it
This is a really cute story of a bear that finds a box and thinks one of his friends (mouse) will love it. Along the way to mouse all of his other friends seem less impressed with the box and tell him not to give it to mouse, but in the end it is just right. I wasn't sure what the moral was exactly. Don't let other people's criticism get you down? One man's trash is another mans treasure? Regardless, it would be great for a friend's storytime.
Misty
Jan 28, 2011 Misty rated it it was amazing
Bear finds something he thinks is wonderful, until he faces the criticism of others, then he is not so sure. All is well when his good friend mouse thinks it is absolutely perfect. This was simple and repetitive enough that my 2 year old enjoyed it and yet my 4 year old could relate to the themes as well. I read it as many times as possible before we had to return it to the library as I know I will refer back to the story when my son faces discouragement.
8feetahead
  • A Bear and His Boy
  • The Snow Day
  • Orange Pear Apple Bear
  • Old Bear
  • A Visitor for Bear (Bear and Mouse, #1)
  • Dancing Feet!
Award-winning author-illustrator Greg Foley grew up in Austin, Texas, and attended the Rhode Island School of Design. He now designs and creative-directs Visionaire, V Magazine, VMAN, VFiles and lives in Greenwich Village, New York.

For more information visit the Greg Foley author page on Facebook!
More about Greg E. Foley...

Bear (5 books)