Start by marking “As Luck Would Have It” as Want to Read:
As Luck Would Have It

As Luck Would Have It

I felt, intuitively, that luck exists. It’s like capitalism: For better or for
worse, and whether you believe in it or not, luck is inescapable. —from As Luck Would Have It

While cowriting the books in the Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook series, Joshua Piven came across dozens of people with tremendously compelling stories of triumph (or misfortune), seemingly against
Published October 7th 2003 by Villard (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about As Luck Would Have It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As Luck Would Have It

Crystal Velasquez
Fun read. Basically it tells the stories of various people who have either had incredibly good luck or incredibly bad luck and how it shaped their lives. (The guy who invented the pet rock had a pretty interesting story. And a couple of others who survived plane crashes or engine failures.) It leaves you with the notion that good and bad circumstances can be considered lucky, depending on what you do with the opportunities you are presented. Also, preparation is a huge part of putting yourself i ...more
Red Morgan
I'm used to nonfiction books with more in depth looks at a subject, and this book seemed to bounce around. There wasn't any connection between the stories except they were all about people who had their luck change one way or the other. The stories were interesting (how the pet rock got started, the story behind 867-5309, the Cabbage Patch craze and the Pokemon craze), but this isn't a book I'll read again. I like meatier nonfiction.
Maura
This is a good book for anyone interested in facts and data. The stories are interesting but the author packs them full of info and sometimes leaves the story behind. It would be great for a trivia buff. I found it interesting because it gives lots of info on the back-stories of "the pet rock", Pokemon, Cabbage Patch dolls, as well as unknown stories about a lotto winner, an airplane crash surviver and a lightning strike victim.
Samantha Grabelle
Apr 17, 2016 Samantha Grabelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
I didn't even finish listening to it. So boring. It wasn't even clear how he was defining luck. The section on the song "867-5309 Jenny" was simply a biography of the songmakers. I do think that making a hit song does involve some luck but there is a lot of work and sociological/psychological knowledge that goes into giving it a hook, getting it played, getting a good video on MTV (back then), and creating an image for the band. Each section's denouement was dissatisfying.
Sidra
I did enjoy the book, albeit taking a long time to finish it. The story about how we have to make our own luck really got through to me. I agree with it.. some of us just notice more, and make quicker decisions.
John Stieven
Apr 13, 2016 John Stieven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stories about how 'luck' plays into many people's lives and how they deal with it. OK -- not great. There is the story of the Pet Rock which I found interesting from one who lived through the mania!
Barbara
Some interesting stories. Not engaging enough to read straight through. The writer offers no interesting insights.
Aimee
Mar 31, 2010 Aimee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
read the jist of each of the stories ....thought the author went on with boring unimportant details ....was a really random and poorly put together collection of stories IMO
Melissa
A random off the library shelf pick that was good. I would have loved it to be more than telling stories of luck. Maybe some research. Though to be fair luck research is hard to do.
Indah Threez Lestari
939th - 2011
Brent Stratton
an interesting read on luck both bad and good and what it means.
Linnae
Sep 10, 2013 Linnae rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-tales
Liked the stories--too much analysis.
Julie
Jun 06, 2010 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many mini stories, first couple were the best, listened to in car on CD
Gretchen
Mar 01, 2012 Gretchen rated it it was ok
Not bad for a quick, easy read. Most of the stories are interesting. This lacks any in-depth information, though, and a few of the stories are a bit boring and contain unnecessary details.
Julian
A very entertaining and quick read about luck. Maybe I should invest $100 in Lotto tickets. We shall see...
Barb
Aug 01, 2008 Barb rated it it was amazing
Everything happens for a reason And LUCK does really exist!
Sabrina Rutter
Truthfully there was two or three storys that I read all the way through. The topic in each little story was interesting, but the way it was written took all the fun out of reading it.
Wendy
Nov 02, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
Great stories and easy read
Jennifer Wilson
A collection of stories about good luck or bad luck. The one about Tommy TuTone seemed to go on forever, but then a few were absoltuely facinating.
Mary
Sep 11, 2008 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An ok quick read. Not much depth - but then that's not the writer's intent in this small book. More of a quick research book, a collection of observations . . . zzzzzzzzz
Amy
May 11, 2010 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was kind of interesting, but the author went into WAY too much detail. I felt like I was reading his complete notes and research of the book instead of the final draft.
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2014
BillyPilgrim
BillyPilgrim rated it it was ok
Oct 18, 2011
Sena
Sena rated it liked it
Jan 31, 2008
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
What is the nature of luck? Stories from real life.
Claudia
Claudia rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2008
Sandy Castonguay
Sandy Castonguay rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2013
Sue
Sue rated it did not like it
Sep 09, 2015
Nimra
Nimra rated it liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Libby
"Defensive pessimism" - me in a nutshell.
« previous 1 3 next »
Josh Piven is a television writer and producer, speechwriter, playwright, and the author or co-author of more than twenty non-fiction and humor books, including the worldwide best-selling The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook series.

He wrote the teleplay and serves as producer of Don The Beekeeper, a half-hour children’s TV show about honeybees and urban beekeeping. His most recent stage play,
More about Joshua Piven...