Start by marking “Extreme Dentistry” as Want to Read:
Extreme Dentistry

Extreme Dentistry

Open wide... and pray for your life. Middle-aged, middle-income and lapsed Mormon Arthur Percy felt his life lurch from a difficult normality onto the rails of a carnival ride heading somewhere too much like the "Twilight Zone" for his liking. Perhaps it is more the "Anti-"Twilight" Zone" that Arthur enters-where vampires, shape shifters and ghouls are not gorgeous or ...more
Published March 2nd 2014 by Brain Lag

To ask other readers questions about Extreme Dentistry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Extreme Dentistry

The Haunted Reading Room {Cthulhu Down the Chimney Tonight}
A hilarious tale of science fiction plus paranormality plus dystopianism plus lapsed dedication to Mormonism and to dental hygiene, "Extreme Dentistry" (the title first put me in mind of "Marathon Man") is a space case of a thriller ride, tracking our clueless yet indefatigable and self-effacing narrator.
Bruce Gargoyle
Full review at http://thebookshelfgargoyle.wordpress... (April 15, 2014)

I received a digital copy of this book for review from the publisher via Netgalley.

Ten Second Synopsis:
Arthur Percy (Canadian lapsed Mormon) and Cal Stewart (Canadian practicing Mormon dentist) attempt to keep humanity for the humans through acute examination of the dental hygeine of the average Joe.

This was undoubtedly a weird reading experience. It was my first encounter with Spencer’s writing and I’ve got to say he knows
She's Stacked  (Jo-Anne)
Extreme Dentistry is an enjoyable book - deceptively so. It is actually SpecFic with a dollop of Horror but the style of writing is so easy-going that you are swept up in the narrative and you find yourself taking all the events in stride while still feeling sympathy for the book's protagonist Arthur Percy.

Arthur Percy, not really hapless but certainly an Everyman, tells us his tale with supplementary commentary for his dentist and mentor, Cal Stewart. Arthur, full of self-deprecating, wry humou
Peter Millane
Apr 04, 2014 Peter Millane rated it really liked it
~This review originally appeared on www.readplayreview.com~

"Open wide... and pray for your life."

Okay lets get it out there right now, this book is Weird with a capital W. I actually finished it a day ago but I needed some time to sleep on my thoughts in order to give it a decent review.

Review

A Sci Fi / Comedy with some horror elements, Extreme Dentistry was not what I expected it would be. The book is written in a way that jumps times, places and narrators in a quick pace which is a little disc
Koeur
Apr 14, 2014 Koeur rated it it was amazing

Publisher: Brain Lag
Publishing Date: April 2014
ISBN: 9781928011019
Genre: Fantasy
Rating: 4.5/5

Publisher Description: Aurora Award-nominated author Hugh A. D. Spencer weaves a hilarious tale of sarcasm, Mormonism, and oral hygiene that spans the globe. From Singapore to Germany and back to Toronto, Extreme Dentistry explores love and loss, terrible workplaces, babysitting, and those seediest centres of monstrous activity both human and inhuman–shopping m
Paula
Jul 13, 2014 Paula rated it it was amazing
Hugh A.D. Spencer’s new novel, “Extreme Dentistry” is extremely entertaining, enjoyable and amusing. His plotting, setting of atmosphere, backstory and dialogue are excellent and display great skill in writing a really good science fiction novel.

The characters are really well formed and memorable; in fact, Professor Elizabeth Wolfanger is, in my opinion, a truly iconic character. Perhaps the next novel in the series, if there is to be a series, should focus on her.

My only critique is that there
Geoff Gander
Jun 16, 2016 Geoff Gander rated it really liked it
It was the title that sucked me in. I figured any novel calling itself "Extreme Dentistry" was likely bizarre enough to be enjoyable, even if the plot sucked. But when a novel bills itself as being "A hilarious tale of sarcasm, Mormonism, and oral hygiene", with references to vampires and shape-shifters thrown in for added effect, well, I couldn't pass this up.

"Extreme Dentistry" hops up and down the time continuum, and shifts points-of-view roughly one-third of the way into the story, but this
Jessie B.
Mar 03, 2016 Jessie B. rated it really liked it
While I expected this book to be both weird and funny, I was not expecting how touching it was. While the events of this book are fantastical, the impact on the characters rings very true.
Ashley
Oct 22, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it
The book wandered a little at the end, but it was a satisfying end to a strange story. A very fun read!
Rafael Avalos
Rafael Avalos rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2015
Megan Elizabeth
Megan Elizabeth rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Cirrostratus
Cirrostratus rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2014
Alex Ernst
Alex Ernst rated it it was ok
Dec 19, 2014
Hoger Jelal
Hoger Jelal rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2014
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Jun 22, 2015
Emmanuel
Emmanuel rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2014
Renee Reese
Renee Reese rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2016
Ronald Pottol
Ronald Pottol rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2014
Elzbieta Zdunek
Elzbieta Zdunek rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Peter
Peter rated it it was ok
Apr 19, 2014
Beth Quittman
Beth Quittman rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2015
Corey
Corey rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2015
Debbie Wilber
Debbie Wilber rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2015
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
Matt Butler
Matt Butler rated it really liked it
May 09, 2014
Tori
Tori rated it it was amazing
Oct 18, 2016
Catherine Fitzsimmons
Catherine Fitzsimmons rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Jay Sexton
Jay Sexton rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Pop Bop
Pop Bop rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2014
Yvonne Lalor
Yvonne Lalor rated it it was ok
Aug 26, 2015