Start by marking “Beach Road” as Want to Read:
Beach Road

Beach Road

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  27,625 Ratings  ·  1,351 Reviews
"Tom Dunleavy has a one-man (and one-dog) law firm in the richest resort town in America - legendary East Hampton, summer home to billionaires and megacelebrities. But his job barely keeps him in paper clips. His clients come from the year-rounders he grew up with, the people who make a living serving the rich. The movie moguls, models, and corporate honchos who swam the b ...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published November 13th 2007 by Hachette Audio (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Beach Road, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beach Road

Rob B
Jul 24, 2007 Rob B rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Cameron
Feb 03, 2016 Cameron rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was my 6th grade year and I was riding the bus to school. The bus was generally a scary place, but the mornings weren't so bad. Most everyone was either passed out or drooling over their morning coffee. I would just close my eyes and listen to the radio the bus driver had playing. This morning while I was listening, I heard a commercial for this book. The voice-actors were saying things like "I thought I had it figured out, but oh, was I wrong!" and "I never saw that coming!!" and "Wow!!!" In ...more
Jenn Pellerin
Mar 03, 2008 Jenn Pellerin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dummies
Shelves: crap
This book totally rules...
much the way it rules when you are in the mood to channel surf and you happen upon a special presentation of some crappy lawyer drama from the late 90's and you go "sweet...there goes the next two hours...brain? off."
I couldn't help cracking up at James Patterson's writing. So many shout-outs! He is so hip and now! Williamsburg junkies in vintage sneakers! Parties at Steven Spielberg's house! Sudden, random and completely out of place raunchy sex stuff!

All in all it's a
Joel Barnes
Aug 23, 2007 Joel Barnes rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thisyear
i would never read the best seller trash on my own but someone had it and I had nothing else to read. Unbelievably bad. might be the worst book I've ever read. who decidedes that this is what people should buy? complete absense of writing style, real characters, or plot. the whole book hinges on a twist that does nothing to explain or payoff anything that happened anywhere else and is completely unsupported by the events of the story. just awful.
Megan Richard
Jan 13, 2009 Megan Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't put this book down. This is the first James Patterson book I've read and I'm now hooked, I can't wait to read more from him. There are a ton of twists and turns, and surprises. Such a great book.
Donald
Jun 11, 2009 Donald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had shelved so many James Patterson books when I worked at the library, but had only read one, the similarly titled Beach House. I enjoyed the setting of Beach Road as well as the characters, suspense and courtroom drama, until chapter 107. I just didn't believe the turn Patterson took with his protagonist. There should have been more clues as to why the perpetrator did what he did and why. In my opinion, it's just not enough to say that "people often lie," and "the full extent of their lies c ...more
Frederick Masterman
Although I have noted that many reviews were disappointed in this offering by Patterson and DeJonge, I found the story engaging and well done. However, I listened to it on an audiobook,and that may reflect my overall satisfaction. Unlike most CD books, there was a variety of actors, a different one for each of the many characters. This provided a very interesting listen since I felt the readers characterized their roles with considerable skill. Since the story was told from the variety of viewpo ...more
D.B. Woodling
Feb 03, 2016 D.B. Woodling rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: James Patterson diehard fans, those who prefer an easy read
I gave the novel three stars, largely because I prefer a much more challenging plot and story. While the authors managed to hold my interest (admittedly, not an easy task), the work lacked stimulating intricacies. Although many readers may feel they've been duped, the ending was possibly the book's salvation.
Chris
Jan 20, 2009 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book with a serious twist at the end.
Ashley Shear
My first Patterson read. Good, definitely gets you hooked & wanting to keep reading. The book is told from the point of view of basically 5 different people and I did not feel that Patterson was 100% succesful with this. As the book would switch to a different character as first person, it really just felt the same. His writing style didnt really vary as he changed point of view. I think this is a hard thing to do but Barbara Kingsolver did it beautifully in the Poisonwood Bible so I always ...more
Laurie
Dec 05, 2008 Laurie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I don't start reading a James Patterson book expecting literary genius, but this hit a new low. I don't think I've ever had my intelligence insulted by a book. Wow. RUN, don't walk away from this one.
Stacy
Burak
Oct 13, 2012 Burak rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Noah Astle
Kathleen
Despite my broken heart over the ending, I enjoyed Beach Road.

The main character’s demise won me over that I was rooting for him all the way. The slow but very climatic unfolding of his becoming a zero to hero was nicely done in my opinion. The author made sure you were going to fall for Tom that you’re not going to think one single bad thought about the guy. He was some kind of a dream-come-true guy that’s why the ending was (view spoiler)
Lori Henrich
Tom is pretty content with his life. He takes life one day at a time. He loves being able to pick up a basketball game with his buddies. When a shoving match at one of these games causes one of the other teams players to pull out a gun, Tom is the calm voice of reason that talks the kid down. Tom doesn't think about the ruckus again until he hears that three of his buddies are in a pile on the same basketball court. They were executed. Tom wants to know what happened and gets stuck right in the ...more
Giuseppe Ruotolo
Aug 17, 2014 Giuseppe Ruotolo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If this book was any good I never got to find out. I gave up on page 78. Frankly at that point I could not care less who the killer was. Poor writing, No disrespect to Peter De Jonge, he is probably a very capable writer. Patterson probably wrote this in his sophomore year and found it at the back of a drawer when his publisher started pushing him for a new book. I will not bother going into the story, its enough of a popular book, unfortunately it did not do it for me.
Karen ⊰✿
Aug 21, 2015 Karen ⊰✿ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gladiators_varro
When it comes to fast paced suspense novels with completely unbelievable plots, Patterson doesn't disappoint. The perfect book to read on a sunny afternoon in a couple of hours. What a page turner.
Jean
Feb 25, 2017 Jean rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
as usual James Patterson keeps you interested. I just did not see the end coming...........Surprise!
Carol
Jan 14, 2017 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book until the end. He trashed it at the end which was such a HUGE disappointment as the book until then was SO VERY GOOD. I listened to it on audiobooks, and having the performers made it even more interesting. Patterson has been kind of disappointing lately. I've been such a fan of his, then he goes and does something as not bright as this. Sorry sir!!! You are starting to lose readers. Get back to your old style of writing, that was good stuff. Have you lost your edge???
Frieda
Feb 09, 2017 Frieda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow what a plot twist
Fred
Mar 05, 2015 Fred rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Spoiler alert! Don't bother anyway! It's 3:45 AM and I just finished Beach Road after awaking and needing to get up for a bit to read. I finish Chapter 107 out of 116 and decide that James Patterson is a hack who goes for the cheap crappy shocker just to piss people off. I have slogged through the 106 other chapters, almost giving up during Chapter 1 when three black boys face off to three white boys in a cliche pick up game in a not so cliche place, the Hamptons of all settings, for what I thin ...more
For the Love of Books & Alcohol Blog

I love this story!!! It was so much fun! Kate Castillo is a fantastic here heroin. Together she and Tom make a great team.

A lot of people marked this book down but I have to say that I found it completely entertaining. I enjoyed the twists, turns and the mystery along the way. The setting was fabulous and the world building was fun. I never saw the ending coming!

As far as Literature goes this is a little more remedial than other books that I come across however I was completely engaged and enter
Courtney
Jul 08, 2012 Courtney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is about Tom Dunleavy and Kate Costello fighting the case of Dante Halleyville. They both know he is innocent, and he has a bunch of supporters from around the country. Dante was on his way to becoming a NBA player when he was falsely accused of four murders.

In this book Patterson brings up the issue of race and corrupt city officials.
The whole time, I found myself rooting for Dante and siding with Tom and Kate the whole time. All of the characters were likable.
When I first started
Kelley
Aug 10, 2012 Kelley rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the first James Patterson book that I read and I'm disappointed to say that I did not like it.

First, what I did like. The chapters are short - very short (2-3 pages) - making this a very quick and easy read. I felt like I was flying through the book. This is an easy weekend or beach read.

What I didn't like. Each chapter was written from a different character's point of view (POV) with some consecutive chapters written from the same character's POV. I found myself quite often having to f
Leo
Jan 03, 2013 Leo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, read-in-english
I bought this in one of those "buy 3 books for 9€" when I visited Ireland. I like whodunits so I figured I couldn't go wrong. This book is really quick to read, so it makes for a good read for a boring Sunday afternoon. If you don't like it, you won't have wasted much time.
Each chapter is told from the perspective of a different character which get a bit messy because you lost track of who is speaking now and sometimes you have to go back to check. Like I said, it takes little time get to the e
Julie
This was a great book! It was a true edge-of your seat suspense thriller and totally reinforced why I am a fan of Patterson.

Unlike the first book set in this part of the country (The Beach House), this one was more of a legal type thriller and it was more believable. Revisiting some of the quirky characters from The Beach House was nice. I loved how the story was written in first person from many different characters points of view. It really allowed me, as the reader, to completely understand
Lyndi
Mar 06, 2010 Lyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of Pattersons that I thought had a serious twist, even after my husband told me it did, I didnt see who the killer was! I enjoyed it, I saw some other peoples trash comments, and I guess i dont get it. I had not read Patterson for quite some time thinking I wouldnt like his writing as it was too popular, now I see the draw and will read or listen to more of his stuff. Love the beach feel to it too! Thanks for making me feel like I am at the beach when i am stuck in a midwestern wint ...more
Irina Humphrey
Jan 09, 2016 Irina Humphrey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James Patterson is possibly my favorite author out there, if not the first, then definitely in the top three! There hasn't been a book I haven't enjoyed by him, but Beach Road was the most thrilling.

In most of his novels, I can sense what the ending will be, but I was blown away by the twists in it. If you have not read Beach Road by James Patterson, you need to stop what you are doing, and get a copy now!
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
A disappointing thriller with an implausible twist. Patterson's style is choppy and the ending of the book is so far fetched it doesn't make any sense. I'd read Patterson books before and even though I've never been a huge fan of his, I thought they were OK. This one was pretty bad and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Beach Road 9 82 Dec 12, 2014 04:59PM
NAIL BITERS: WHAT DID YOU THINK? 1 9 Jan 24, 2013 07:31AM
Pattersonville - ...: - Beach Road 8 13 Sep 30, 2012 03:22AM
  • Don't Look Twice (Ty Hauck, #2)
  • Guys Read: Boys Will Be Boys
  • Dirty Blonde
  • Shoot Him If He Runs (Stone Barrington, #14)
  • Quicksand (Eve Duncan, #8)
  • Nighttime is my Time
  • Suspicion of Vengeance (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #6)
  • Twisted (Petra Connor, #2)
  • Hornet's Nest (Andy Brazil, #1)
  • Invisible Prey (Lucas Davenport, #17)
  • Back Roads (Glen Crossing #1)
  • The Bodies Left Behind
  • Lethal Seduction
Official US Site
Official UK Site
BookShots
JIMMY Patterson Books
Official Site for James Patterson's Middle School Series
ReadKiddoRead

James Patterson has created more enduring fictional characters than any other novelist writing today with his Alex Cross, Michael Bennett, Women’s Murder Club, Private, NYPD Red, Daniel X, Maximum Ride, and Middle School series. As of January 2016, he has sold over 350
More about James Patterson...