Start by marking “The Smallest Things: Thoughts on Making a Happy Family” as Want to Read:
The Smallest Things: Thoughts on Making a Happy Family

The Smallest Things: Thoughts on Making a Happy Family

Childhood, Mum had once said to me, is not preparation for life, it is life. But in the tussle between home and work I'd forgotten what a privilege it is to be a parent - to have in my hands and heart two small souls I have for only a short time to guide and teach and enjoy. If I pressed on, driven by deadlines and bosses and a stultifying work ethic, then I would miss ...more
Published (first published April 9th 2014)

Rebecca
Mar 14, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-read
I'll give this 3 stars- because I did enjoy the light read. I don't mind reading Angela Mollard's column in the Sunday magazine (even though I often don't relate to her perspective), and she is a local mum, so was interested in her book which I borrowed from the library. I note she is doing a book signing/talk at my local bookshop, but having read her book, I'm not compelled to go along.

I don't know - I found elements relatable, but couldn't help feel she was preaching to the long-ago converted
Tammi Doyle
Sep 04, 2014 Tammi Doyle rated it liked it
Angela Mollard is witty, it's true; and I found her writing style engaging. However, I didn't find HER engaging. This book is part personal journey, part self-help but I just wished she'd stuck to one or the other, because it seemed she was preaching a "do as I say, not as I do" mantra and it didn't work for me.
I gave her 3 stars for honesty in relating her parenting fails - they are difficult to admit, even to oneself, and particularly if you portray such high expectations of every other facet
Kylie Mcdonald
Jul 02, 2014 Kylie Mcdonald rated it liked it
Some lovely insights, especially for working mums. A couple of my favourites... "the days are long but the years are short" and "the best of me seemed to flow when i wasn't striving, when i saw each day less as a performance & more a hopscotch of roles & responsibilities that I rather enjoyed". But a bit too "preachy" in parts.
Leanne
Oct 05, 2014 Leanne rated it really liked it
So much of this resonated with me. Really helped me to reflect on my own role as a parent. Quite humorous overall, but a few parts had me struggling against tears.
Helen King
Apr 02, 2014 Helen King rated it really liked it
To come back to - but interim comments - lovely, practical and humorous book re, thoughts on parenting, marriage, developing your own identity, etc - a great read
Felicity M
Feb 09, 2015 Felicity M rated it it was amazing
I laughed, I cried and I will be re-reading this book again and again as my family grows as there were a lot of good tips and tricks and some amazing insights to be a working mum of two kiddies.
Jacinta
Jacinta rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2014
Renee
Renee rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2014
Blue Mountains Library
Blue Mountains Library rated it did not like it
Nov 05, 2014
Ashleigh Lowe
Ashleigh Lowe rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Kara Macleod
Kara Macleod rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Shauna Hockley
Shauna Hockley rated it liked it
Apr 21, 2014
Sally Earle
Sally Earle rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2015
Kirralee Baker
Kirralee Baker rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2015
Kerry-ann
Kerry-ann rated it liked it
May 18, 2014
Aleeza
Aleeza rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2015
Jolene Sawdon
Jolene Sawdon rated it really liked it
Nov 13, 2016
Trudie Hurt
Trudie Hurt rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2014
Tania Dixon
Tania Dixon rated it really liked it
May 10, 2014
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2014
Nikki Sims-Chilton
Nikki Sims-Chilton rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2016
Romi
Romi rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Wendy Kessell
Wendy Kessell rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2016
Anji Kirwan
Anji Kirwan rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2014
Lara
Lara rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2016
Danielle Griffiths
Danielle Griffiths rated it it was ok
Apr 18, 2014
Robert Dunne
Robert Dunne rated it liked it
May 26, 2016
Heidi Madden
Jun 27, 2014 Heidi Madden rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Although a bit wordy at times!