Start by marking “Life's a Bitch and Then You Change Careers: 9 Steps to Get You Out of Your Funk & on to Your Future” as Want to Read:

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Life can be, well, a bitch when you're in the wrong career. We're not just talking about a job in a place you don't like, but that hopeless feeling when you know that your life is moving in the wrong direction. Andrea Kay knows it's possible to make a change - and with this book she will show you how. Based on her own very successful career consultancy, Andrea has develope ...more
Published November 28th 2005 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang

To ask other readers questions about Life's a Bitch and Then You Change Careers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life's a Bitch and Then You Change Careers

Apr 12, 2014 Marla added it
placeholder - didnt read this but something like it
Lindsey Lang
it was ok, i didn't actually completely finish it, the exercises were actually rather frustrating. you couldn't really keep going if you didn't think of like 3 words to describe yourself or what you're good at or what you wanted.........just seemed sort of elementary and nothing that you can't figure out for yourself. i was kind of disappointed and thus never finished it. a better book i can recommend is one i'm currently reading by barbara winter called making a living without a job. see my rev ...more
Kristie J.
I really liked this book. It's an excellent book to read if you're not sure how to change careers or what you want to do next. The nine steps were very easy to follow. I liked being led me step-by-step in a straightforward manner to figure out what I like and dislike about my current job, skills I enjoy using, and how I should approach changing careers. I wrote directly in the book on the lines provided. I feel more confident and prepared to change careers after reading this book.
Probably one of the better career books I've read.
Despite the somewhat tacky title, a re-read of this book was most helpful with some suggestions on how to focus my job search and best present my qualifications, based on the person I want to be in the work world, and where I want to be that person...really opened my eyes to some options I had not considered. Also, has enough humor built in to not be boring.
Jun 14, 2009 Tricia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking to find a meaningful career
A terrific book for anyone looking to understand what the next step is in their career, young or seasoned. Be prepared to work, since this is the only way to truly knowing what lies in your heart and on your path. I haven't come across a better career book in my time.
Abd Alaziz
I am taking a really long time into reading this book. Soul-searching, pondering, wondering, writing it down..

Making sure I am asking myself the right questions, answering them, and keeping a record of it before making a career change.
Great questions to get you to reflect on what aspects of your past jobs you like and what skills you enjoy using as a means to finding a career that suits those best.
As far as career counseling goes, face-to-face help is preferable. As far as books go though, this one is as good as you could get. I found it helpful.
Good workbook for thinking through the possibilities for a change of career. Anyone looking for work should listen to Andrea Kay.
Feb 29, 2008 Carol is currently reading it
A gift from my friend Melissa....we'll see if it helps me figure out what I want to do when I grow up.
I read this as a library book so I couldn't mark it up but it seems very useful. I will likely buy it.
Donna Pender
Overall, it was pretty good. I've read similar books and this has the same feel.
Apr 09, 2008 Mnhawkhoya is currently reading it
Excellent so far.
Wanja Chomba
Wanja Chomba is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2015
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Nov 01, 2015
Lyssa marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
gj added it
Aug 20, 2015
Suzanne is currently reading it
Aug 08, 2015
Molly marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Jen is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2015
Megan Eppler
Megan Eppler is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2015
WEN marked it as to-read
May 29, 2015
Eamonn marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015