Start by marking “Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories. Agatha Christie” as Want to Read:
Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories. Agatha Christie
Preview

Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories. Agatha Christie (Poirot: Omnibus Collection)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  1,805 ratings  ·  62 reviews
Arranged in their original publication order, these are all of the Poirot short stories. There are 51 tales of the moustache-twirling little Belgian, with his little grey cells.
Published November 1st 1999 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1999)

Leslie
A treat for Christie fans! For those who don't care for her writing, the foibles of Hercule Poirot may grate on the nerves as they are more pronounced in these short stories than they were in her full-length novels.

Despite the fact that I hadn't read many of the stories before, I was familiar with them from my repeated viewing of David Suchet in "Poirot" on PBS. In fact, so familiar was I with the TV adaptations that I noticed all the variations from their plots when reading these originals!
Brian Poole
Hercule Poirot is justifiably Agatha Christie’s most famous creation.

Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories is a comprehensive chronicle of the detective’s life in short fiction. While the numerous Poirot novels are among Christie’s best and popular works, the character excelled in the short format, offering a distillation of what makes him great in concise bites.

Published from the 1920s through the 1940s, the tales in The Complete Short Stories present a full portrait of the Belgian police
Muhammad Shakhawat Hossain
I have always been a fan of detective stories and like thousands of other people, my childhood hero was Sherlock Holmes (I think deep down, he still is my hero!). This Hercule Poirot collection was the first time I tried Poirot and I LIKED him! Hercule Poirot is an eccentric old man with such a passion towards order and rational thoughts and he has such a nice sense of humour! This fat book has 51 stories and it took me quite a long time to finish it. I would say about 26-27 stories were really ...more
Dhiraj Sharma
Along with the novels of Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie also wrote several short stories of HP which appear as complilations in several books.

This compendium makes your search for short stories much easier.

I bought this book from a book store in Park Street when I was on tour to Kolkara..Oxford it was if I remember correctly.

Read these stories in case you don't have much time to spare each day to read a full length novel, read these even if you have ample time at your hands.

Let me assure you th
Lynn Farris
When asked on a panel to name the one mystery book prior to 1995 that inspired me to become a lifelong reader, I selected, “Murder on the Orient Express” by Agatha Christie. This features the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. So you can imagine my delight at finding a book of short stories and novellas, written by Agatha Christie featuring Poirot, one of her most popular sleuths.

Agatha Christie is the most widely published author of all time and in any language outsold only by the Bible and Shak
Shirley
I have always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes and my interest in Hercules Poirot cases had been limited to the few television serials that i had seen as a child. After reading this book i must say that I am totally awed. I do confess that both the detectives have a different style of working and yes this book may not provide you an exhaustive or detailed account into Poirot's adventures , but it gives you a glimpse into the world of his 'Grey cells' so to speak. Thoroughly enjoyable and engaging. ...more
Miklos
I would like to preface this by saying I love Hercule Poirot. If I could have dinner with any fictional character, it'd be him (particularly if he's "played" by David Suchet). I love Poirot because he's not concerned about how "deep the parley has sunk into the butter" or is interested in looking at cigarette ash. He's interested in the psychology of all those involved. This is why some of my favorite Agatha Christie stories (e.g. The Clocks, Mysterious Affair at Styles Court, Sad Cypruss, etc.) ...more
Susan Siow
Agatha Christie's plots are just so ingenious! It took me a while to read all 867 pages of this compilation of 51 short stories, but I enjoyed every bit of it. I'm actually re-reading this, but the first time I read this was so long ago that I no longer remembered who the culprits were, so every denouement was still as thrilling as ever.
Matthew Underwood
Not finished reading yet, but awesome so far. I recognise some of the stories by having seen them on tv. The shortness of the stories does not mean there is any lack of detail. Each story is compelling and clever. Agatha Christie paints the picture in your mind, so when you need to visualise what Poirot sees, to get the essence of how he cracks the case, you can imagine exactly what he sees due to Christie's excellent description and story telling.

Brilliant
Salina
Summary
This book is a collection of short stories, more than 50 of them, all with one of my favourite characters - Hercule Poirot. These stories have been published previously, including when they were first written by Christie.

The Good
I really enjoyed the plot twists - it is just mind-boggling the way Christie was able to dream up the plots and the ingenious murders. As always, they don't disappoint - she was just so inventive and clever.

Recommended for
Because this book has so many short stori
Antonio Rosato
Non avendo mai letto niente su Hercule Poirot ho preferito comprare questo libro che contiene tutte le opere di Agatha Christie dedicate al celebre investigatore belga. Ebbene, devo dire che all'inizio sono stato quasi rapito e coinvolto dalle varie indagini e peripezie dei due protagonisti (Poirot ed il suo fido amico Hastings); in seguito, però, i racconti mi son sembrati un po' tutti uguali (cambiava la location ed i personaggi ma la trama era sempre la stessa). Penso, comunque, che possa anc ...more
Amy Raby
A great compilation! I was reading this for writer research purposes, to get an idea of how mystery short stories worked. I actually didn't know a mystery could be written in short form, but it's clear to me now that the format works extremely well for this genre. Agatha Christie is a master of tight writing. These stories were very enjoyable, and I liked how "clean" they were. While these are stories about crime (usually murder, sometimes a jewel theft), there were no gruesome details and no vi ...more
O
I really love reading Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot novels and short stories. For the first time all of the short stories (including the Labours of Hercules) are included in this short story collection.

This short story collection was definitely worth the price for me, all in all it was 899 pages for $11.99. This included a short foreword by Charles Todd that was only about 2 pages and then we go into each short story. At the beginning of every chapter there is a quick blurb on when the story
Vineet
I enjoy Agatha Christie's writing a lot, but I feel that her full-length novels are much better than her short stories. This book is about as good as mystery short stories get, but the problem is that mysteries are not meant to be written as short stories. Mysteries require the whole novel to develop a plot and mental suspense before revealing all in the end. That being said, This book is a fantastic way to start reading some of Agatha Christie's works.

The main characters, Belgian private invest
Evelise
Veramente bellissimo, le diverse 51 storielle rendono il libro molto veloce da leggere perché sono tutte varie e cortissime ne leggi dieci e non te ne accorgi nemmeno! Geniale poi i 12 racconti ispirati alle fatiche di ercole un libro che ricomincerei a leggere da capo molto volentieri. Agatha Christie non delude mai.
Pramod S Nair
A spectacular gift for all Hercule Poirot Fans! This volume contains all the masterpiece short tales of crime and detection featuring the charismatic detective Hercule Poirot created by Agatha Christie. It has a total of 51 short stories which are full of mystery, thrill and mind-boggling plot twists.
Adrija
I have a weakness for Holmes and Poirot. And I adore Christie.

What can I say? I don't think it's possible to review all fifty stories. But it's Poirot, and you won't be bored, to say the least.

Also, I adored how she concluded the last story.

This is one of the few books I'd re-read.
Ryan
Good little puzzles that I basically know the answer to but enjoy discovering them every time. The non-Hastings ones are best, of course. I'd forgotten Miss Lemon - funny little character (and maybe she appears again working for Parker Pyne??). Fantastic way to avoid most of the things one is supposed to get done on a Saturday.
玲華 西山
i`ve yet to complete the entire collection but from what I`ve read so far. All her cases are absolutely great. Each are different stories so they`re an easy read. Despite them being short stories, the cases are interesting and a good brief read. I think it`s good for someone who wants to have a quick short read.
Julie
Great collection of Poirot short stories. Some I hadn't read previously. One was later turned in to a full length novel, but it was interesting to see it in its earlier form. The Labors of Hercules take up a big section of the book, but it is also available as a book on its own.
Eliana
My all time favorite mystery writer. Plots so clever, you can re-read novels and still not remember who ended up being the culprit. I've tried to read them all.
Zakariah Johnson
Poirot is a great character, and he gets inside your head in a way few others can. The cadence of his French-colored speech is part of this, but in Christie's writing you absorb so much more--his poise, his mannerisms, his deductive processes, his charm-tempered arrogance, and his mastery of sweating suspects through performance art. Despite whatever he owes to Mr. Holmes, Poirot remains assertively original. This collection lets the reader follow the development of the great Belgian detective o ...more
George
I've always loved David Suchet as Poirot and I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of these stories.
Shireen
A lot of these I'd read before because they are published in other books of hers. For that reason, if you haven't read Christie's short stories featuring Poirot, then this is a good book or ebook to read. But if you have, you'll be flipping through the book a lot...unless you've read her shorts once a long time ago or like to reread familiar stories over and over.

The one interesting addition to familiar material is seeing where they were originally published. And there were a few stories I hadn'
Jeanine
Can't go wrong with Agatha Christie!
Alberto
A good read, although the short stories are never as good as the novels. There's never enough information. The Wasps Nest was particularly egregious for leaving you in the dark. A couple of the stories research plot devices, but Monsieur Poirot is always entertaining.
Joyce Lee
Agatha Christie is one of those writers I've always been told to read so I thought I'd give her a try. I can't say I enjoyed this book much. Maybe I should read more than just one story before judging it, but Hercule Poirot was just a sub-par Sherlock Holmes for me; a simplified Holmes if u will. Holmes' adventures are quite hard to follow given the language and style they are written in.

Well, Agatha Christie is not for me. It will be many years before I try another of her books.
Simon
I find the short stories more easily digestible. Christie developed great plots.
Tanya (aka ListObsessedReader)
I will be chipping away at this in small doses as I come to Agatha's short story collections whilst reading through her works chronologically.

Short Story Collections Read:

- Poirot Investigates. 11 Stories. Read 06/05/12-16/05/12
- Murder in the Mews. 4 Stories. Read 08/11/14-10/11/14
- The Regatta Mystery (Mixed). 4 Stories (Further stories also contained within Detectives and Young Adventurers & Miss Marple and Mystery) Read 20/12/14
Hayden
Excellent! It was fantastic to finally get around to actually reading Poirot, and I thoroughly enjoyed the short stories especially The Incredible Theft, The Third Floor Flat and The Nemean Lion. There were a few weaker stories and sometimes they were a little repetitive but that didn't really ruin my enjoyment much.
Now I think it's time I read the novels! The Mysterious Affair At Styles, here I come!
  • Agatha Christie
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #15)
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days
  • A Daughter's a Daughter
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #3)
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • The Affair of the 39 Cufflinks (Burford Family Mysteries, #3)
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks
  • Past Imperfect
  • Photo Finish (Roderick Alleyn, #31)
  • Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?: The Mystery Behind the Agatha Christie Mystery
  • Mourning Raga (Felse, #9)
  • Death and Restoration (Jonathan Argyll, #6)
  • Voice of the Lost (Medair, #2)
  • The Floating Admiral
  • Assassin Fantastic

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...

Poirot: Omnibus Collection (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Poirot: The War Years
  • Poirot: The French Collection
  • Poirot: The Post War Years
  • Poirot: The Complete Ariadne Oliver, Vol. 2
  • Poirot: The Complete Battles of Hastings, Vol. 1 (Hercule Poirot & Arthur Hastings Omnibus, #1)
  • Poirot: The Complete Battles of Hastings, Vol. 2 (Hercule Poirot & Arthur Hastings Omnibus, #2)
  • Poirot: The Complete Ariadne Oliver, Vol. 1 (Hercule Poirot & Ariadne Oliver Omnibus, #1)
  • Poirot: Four Classic Cases
  • Poirot: The Perfect Murders
  • Poirot: In the Orient (Murder in Mesopotamia / Death on the Nile / Appointment with Death)
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“David Suchet portrayed Poirot to perfection in the PBS series, and even Christie’s grandson, Mathew Pritchard, wished that she had lived to see his portrayal.” 1 likes