Start by marking “Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories. Agatha Christie” as Want to Read:
Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories. Agatha Christie

Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories. Agatha Christie (Poirot: Omnibus Collection)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,681 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Arranged in their original publication order, these are all of the Poirot short stories. There are 51 tales of the moustache-twirling little Belgian, with his little grey cells.
Published November 1st 1999 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1999)

Muhammad Shakhawat Hossain
I have always been a fan of detective stories and like thousands of other people, my childhood hero was Sherlock Holmes (I think deep down, he still is my hero!). This Hercule Poirot collection was the first time I tried Poirot and I LIKED him! Hercule Poirot is an eccentric old man with such a passion towards order and rational thoughts and he has such a nice sense of humour! This fat book has 51 stories and it took me quite a long time to finish it. I would say about 26-27 stories were really ...more
Dhiraj Sharma
Along with the novels of Hercule Poirot, Agatha Christie also wrote several short stories of HP which appear as complilations in several books.

This compendium makes your search for short stories much easier.

I bought this book from a book store in Park Street when I was on tour to Kolkara..Oxford it was if I remember correctly.

Read these stories in case you don't have much time to spare each day to read a full length novel, read these even if you have ample time at your hands.

Let me assure you th
Lynn Farris
When asked on a panel to name the one mystery book prior to 1995 that inspired me to become a lifelong reader, I selected, “Murder on the Orient Express” by Agatha Christie. This features the Belgian detective Hercule Poirot. So you can imagine my delight at finding a book of short stories and novellas, written by Agatha Christie featuring Poirot, one of her most popular sleuths.

Agatha Christie is the most widely published author of all time and in any language outsold only by the Bible and Shak
Shirley
I have always been a fan of Sherlock Holmes and my interest in Hercules Poirot cases had been limited to the few television serials that i had seen as a child. After reading this book i must say that I am totally awed. I do confess that both the detectives have a different style of working and yes this book may not provide you an exhaustive or detailed account into Poirot's adventures , but it gives you a glimpse into the world of his 'Grey cells' so to speak. Thoroughly enjoyable and engaging. ...more
Matthew Underwood
Not finished reading yet, but awesome so far. I recognise some of the stories by having seen them on tv. The shortness of the stories does not mean there is any lack of detail. Each story is compelling and clever. Agatha Christie paints the picture in your mind, so when you need to visualise what Poirot sees, to get the essence of how he cracks the case, you can imagine exactly what he sees due to Christie's excellent description and story telling.

Brilliant
Miklos
I would like to preface this by saying I love Hercule Poirot. If I could have dinner with any fictional character, it'd be him (particularly if he's "played" by David Suchet). I love Poirot because he's not concerned about how "deep the parley has sunk into the butter" or is interested in looking at cigarette ash. He's interested in the psychology of all those involved. This is why some of my favorite Agatha Christie stories (e.g. The Clocks, Mysterious Affair at Styles Court, Sad Cypruss, etc.) ...more
Amy Raby
A great compilation! I was reading this for writer research purposes, to get an idea of how mystery short stories worked. I actually didn't know a mystery could be written in short form, but it's clear to me now that the format works extremely well for this genre. Agatha Christie is a master of tight writing. These stories were very enjoyable, and I liked how "clean" they were. While these are stories about crime (usually murder, sometimes a jewel theft), there were no gruesome details and no vi ...more
Vineet
I enjoy Agatha Christie's writing a lot, but I feel that her full-length novels are much better than her short stories. This book is about as good as mystery short stories get, but the problem is that mysteries are not meant to be written as short stories. Mysteries require the whole novel to develop a plot and mental suspense before revealing all in the end. That being said, This book is a fantastic way to start reading some of Agatha Christie's works.

The main characters, Belgian private invest
Evelise
Veramente bellissimo, le diverse 51 storielle rendono il libro molto veloce da leggere perché sono tutte varie e cortissime ne leggi dieci e non te ne accorgi nemmeno! Geniale poi i 12 racconti ispirati alle fatiche di ercole un libro che ricomincerei a leggere da capo molto volentieri. Agatha Christie non delude mai.
Ryan
Good little puzzles that I basically know the answer to but enjoy discovering them every time. The non-Hastings ones are best, of course. I'd forgotten Miss Lemon - funny little character (and maybe she appears again working for Parker Pyne??). Fantastic way to avoid most of the things one is supposed to get done on a Saturday.
玲華 西山
i`ve yet to complete the entire collection but from what I`ve read so far. All her cases are absolutely great. Each are different stories so they`re an easy read. Despite them being short stories, the cases are interesting and a good brief read. I think it`s good for someone who wants to have a quick short read.
Julie
Great collection of Poirot short stories. Some I hadn't read previously. One was later turned in to a full length novel, but it was interesting to see it in its earlier form. The Labors of Hercules take up a big section of the book, but it is also available as a book on its own.
Eliana
My all time favorite mystery writer. Plots so clever, you can re-read novels and still not remember who ended up being the culprit. I've tried to read them all.
Zakariah Johnson
Poirot is a great character, and he gets inside your head in a way few others can. The cadence of his French-colored speech is part of this, but in Christie's writing you absorb so much more--his poise, his mannerisms, his deductive processes, his charm-tempered arrogance, and his mastery of sweating suspects through performance art. Despite whatever he owes to Mr. Holmes, Poirot remains assertively original. This collection lets the reader follow the development of the great Belgian detective o ...more
George
I've always loved David Suchet as Poirot and I thoroughly enjoyed reading all of these stories.
Shireen
A lot of these I'd read before because they are published in other books of hers. For that reason, if you haven't read Christie's short stories featuring Poirot, then this is a good book or ebook to read. But if you have, you'll be flipping through the book a lot...unless you've read her shorts once a long time ago or like to reread familiar stories over and over.

The one interesting addition to familiar material is seeing where they were originally published. And there were a few stories I hadn'
Jeanine
Can't go wrong with Agatha Christie!
Alberto
A good read, although the short stories are never as good as the novels. There's never enough information. The Wasps Nest was particularly egregious for leaving you in the dark. A couple of the stories research plot devices, but Monsieur Poirot is always entertaining.
Joyce Lee
Agatha Christie is one of those writers I've always been told to read so I thought I'd give her a try. I can't say I enjoyed this book much. Maybe I should read more than just one story before judging it, but Hercule Poirot was just a sub-par Sherlock Holmes for me; a simplified Holmes if u will. Holmes' adventures are quite hard to follow given the language and style they are written in.

Well, Agatha Christie is not for me. It will be many years before I try another of her books.
Simon
I find the short stories more easily digestible. Christie developed great plots.
Tanya (aka ListObsessedReader)
I will be chipping away at this in small doses as I come to Agatha's short story collections whilst reading through her works chronologically.

Short Story Collections Read:

- Poirot Investigates. 11 Stories. Read 06/05/12-16/05/12
- Murder in the Mews. 4 Stories. Read 08/11/14-10/11/14
- The Regatta Mystery (Mixed). 4 Stories (Further stories also contained within Detectives and Young Adventurers & Miss Marple and Mystery) Read 20/12/14
Hayden
Excellent! It was fantastic to finally get around to actually reading Poirot, and I thoroughly enjoyed the short stories especially The Incredible Theft, The Third Floor Flat and The Nemean Lion. There were a few weaker stories and sometimes they were a little repetitive but that didn't really ruin my enjoyment much.
Now I think it's time I read the novels! The Mysterious Affair At Styles, here I come!
Sarah Cruickshank
Really enjoyed this collection of Poirot stories
A few months ago, I was so happy to find out that finally a complete collection of Agatha Christie's short stories was about to come out. This collection consists of 52 stories featuring my favourite detective of all time, Hercule Poirot. The cover reads 'masterpieces in miniature' - I could not describe my opinion any better. Great read.
Ruth
Like other readers, I bought this book to dip in and out of whilst on holiday, but ending up reading it from front to back! An excellent collection of short stories from the queen of crime herself, Agatha Christie. Some of the stories are a little cliched to modern tastes perhaps, but they are still very entertaining.
Emily Davies
Another wonderful set of short stories from Agatha Christie. Unlike the Miss Marple collection, all of these stories feature Poirot and they are all completely excellent. I adore Poirot's neat and orderly mind!
Sherry
One of the best books in the world!! I love Hercule Poirot so much that I was very sad when I finished reading the book. Hastings is my favorite character, and my favorite stories in the collection are mostly the ones narrated by Hastings. This is such an awesome book. I doubt there's anyone who wouldn't enjoy it!
Marisa
I love Agatha Christie and was especially pleased withe the complete short stores of Hercule Poirot. I love the fact that I can pick the book up when I am tired and read a short story rather than have to follow on of her longer novels. Especially as I am often reading 3 or 4 books simultaneously.
Jan
An enjoyable though longish read. Of course I had the film versions with David Suchet in mind often. I found it interesting how the Poirot character became "full fledged" from being a simple and somewhat naive knock off of Sherlock Holmes in the beginning.
Lil's Vintage World
Really enjoyed this book and recommend it to any Agatha Christie fan, but the reason why it got 4 stars and not 5 was because the full length stories by Agatha Christie always receive 5 stars from me and the short story collection was not quite as good!
  • Agatha Christie
  • A Daughter's a Daughter
  • The Chinese Shawl (Miss Silver, #5)
  • They Found Him Dead (Inspector Hannasyde, #3)
  • Photo Finish (Roderick Alleyn, #31)
  • Agatha Christie and the Eleven Missing Days
  • Agatha Christie
  • Striding Folly (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #15)
  • Look to the Lady (Albert Campion Mystery #3)
  • Byomkesh Bakshi Stories
  • Agatha Christie's Secret Notebooks
  • The Floating Admiral
  • Who Killed Roger Ackroyd?: The Mystery Behind the Agatha Christie Mystery
  • Curtains for Three (Nero Wolfe, #18)
  • Mourning Raga (Felse, #9)
  • Spirits of the Dead: Tales and Other Poems

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller was born in Torquay, Devon, England, U.K., as the youngest of three. The Millers had two other children: Margaret Frary Miller (1879–1950), called Madge, who was eleven years Agatha's senior, and Louis Montant Miller (1880
More about Agatha Christie...

Poirot: Omnibus Collection (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Poirot: The War Years
  • Poirot: The French Collection
  • Poirot: The Post War Years
  • Poirot: The Complete Ariadne Oliver, Vol. 2
  • Poirot: The Complete Battles of Hastings, Vol. 1 (Hercule Poirot & Arthur Hastings Omnibus, #1)
  • Poirot: The Complete Battles of Hastings, Vol. 2 (Hercule Poirot & Arthur Hastings Omnibus, #2)
  • Poirot: The Complete Ariadne Oliver, Vol. 1 (Hercule Poirot & Ariadne Oliver Omnibus, #1)
  • Poirot: Four Classic Cases
  • Poirot: The Perfect Murders
  • Poirot: In the Orient (Murder in Mesopotamia / Death on the Nile / Appointment with Death)
And Then There Were None Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple, #1) The Murder of Roger Ackroyd (Hercule Poirot, #4)

“David Suchet portrayed Poirot to perfection in the PBS series, and even Christie’s grandson, Mathew Pritchard, wished that she had lived to see his portrayal.” 1 likes