Start by marking “Blessed Are the Balanced: A Seminarian's Guide to Following Jesus in the Academy” as Want to Read:

A handbook to help seminarians grow in love for God as they study

Theological education can cool your love for the Lord. It's sad but true. Learning that is not fully integrated into your daily life and patterns of living can lead to spiritual detachment. On the other hand, theological studies that are properly processed over time (with sufficient time for reflection and se
Published March 3rd 2014 by Kregel Academic & Professional

To ask other readers questions about Blessed Are the Balanced, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blessed Are the Balanced

Craig Hurst
Sep 22, 2014 Craig Hurst rated it really liked it
Shelves: seminary
Even before I went to college I wanted to go to seminary. In my mind I was as good as already there. Unfortunately, not everyone I discussed it with felt the same about seminary in general. I distinctly remember having a discussion in college with a friend about going to seminary. He was not a fan. In fact, his answer for not going left me speechless. It was an answer I would hear many times in college. “Seminary kills your passion for ministry,” they would say. It was a statement I just ...more
Rich
Oct 23, 2014 Rich rated it really liked it
The helpful guide should be available to all seminary students. The target is especially those in an academic institution (namely a brick and mortar institution); but it is also applicable to those receiving their theological education online. The authors address the balance of academic and spiritual growth that is so necessary in the preparation of pastors.

The authors identify the primary problem: “Unfortunately a good number of students graduate with a head full of biblical and doctrinal knowl
Julius McCarter
Jul 24, 2014 Julius McCarter rated it liked it
blessed are the balanced -- a book review

In Blessed are the Balanced: A Seminarian's Guide to Following Jesus in the Academy, two faithful theologians and pastors, Paul Pettit and R. Todd Mangum, attempt to set out "a balanced approach to healthy spirituality and rigorous scholarship" (p. 9). In their view, so many students graduate seminary "with a head full of biblical and doctrinal knowledge, but with a heart that has grown cold to God" (p. 7).

They rightly point out the dangerous warning sig
Doug Hibbard
Aug 21, 2014 Doug Hibbard rated it it was amazing
Blessed are the Balanced is a book that should be required reading for seminary students. More clearly, the cost of a copy should be factored into the application fee and be mandatory reading before you ever take a seminary class, and then again every summer or major school break. I say this as someone who has just finished an overextended journey from first class in seminary to graduate, and had to admit that I was not emotionally and spiritually ready to jump to the next degree.

If you are head
Kyle Vegh
Kyle Vegh rated it it was ok
Dec 29, 2015
James Peil
James Peil rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2015
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Paul Pettit
Jul 05, 2016 Paul Pettit rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Chris Crane
Chris Crane rated it liked it
Mar 08, 2016
Katy
Katy marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2015
Director of Spiritual Formation @ Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas.
President of Dynamic Dads (www.dynamicdads.com)
"
More about Paul Pettit...