Start by marking “Qué sabes de filosofía” as Want to Read:
Qué sabes de filosofía

Qué sabes de filosofía

Philosophy is about the big questions - where are we from, why are we here, and what's going to happen afterward? - and the various answers that people have come up with. This book will guide you along the route that leads from the Nichamachean Ethics of Aristotle via the Summa Theologica of Aquinas to the discourse on Method of Descartes and onward to Wittgenstein's Tract ...more
Published March 28th 2000 by Ediciones B (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Qué sabes de filosofía, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Qué sabes de filosofía

Keith
I got this as a gift—from my mother, I think, and well-meaning I'm sure regardless—and it took me years to slog my way through it because, despite my love for philosophy and my desire to get a better overview of it from ancient Greece to today, I just plain didn't like this.

It is, in fact, a reasonably digestible overview of the entire history of Western philosophy in a mere 192 pages, so of course it's going to leave important bits out, and reduce everything—including major concepts and people—
Paula
Aug 24, 2008 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The short, short version of the history of philosophy. Mentions the highlights of some of the greatest philosophers, from pre-Aristotelian thinkers to some of the more recent, more recognizable postmodernists. Written in a conversational style that might make some of the more difficult concepts easier to novices in the field.

The author also pushed the idea about philosophy not being "dead" but being an important part of everyone's life, despite an increasing dependence on technology and science.
Justin Hermiz
Nov 26, 2012 Justin Hermiz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is a beginners guide on understanding philosophy. it gives you a basic understanding of philosophies from early man to modern day. it can help you understand how philosophies are different, alike, and all connected in some way.

i gave it five stars because i was so unaware of how many philosophies there are and the reasons behind them. I'm already a huge fan of philosophical books.

"it is through an awareness of death that we come to appreciate the reality of our own being and we become
Richard
Writing general reader overviews on a topic such as the history of Western philosophy is most often a thankless task. Any author brave enough to take on the challenge and produce something intelligible is consequently deserving of respect. That said, I would not recommend this book. Turnbull suggests that there are three basic views of philosophy: technocratic, Philistine, and Romantic/revolutionary. The author clearly favors the third. In this group moreover, he places Socrates, Marx, Nietzsche ...more
an
Apr 03, 2008 an rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
buku ini memenani rhe selama 2 minggu habis kecelakaan sampe g bisa jalan. kerjaan cuma nangkring di kamar doang ma ni buku.

kenapa suka???
karena selama ini filsafat terkesan berat dan identik ma orang" tua ubanan. tapi ni buku dibawain dengan ringan, full color ma gambar.
seru banget, klo biasa na anak muda (cie... sok ngaku muda)bosen baca gituan (yg full teks maksud na), buku ini bisa jd pilihan yg g bosenin.

tokoh filsuf fovorit rhe dalem buku ini adl Desiderius Erasmus. jadi pengen pake nama i
Jewel
Mar 03, 2013 Jewel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy, favorites
This book reads exactly as the opening few pages describe the book, like a conversation. As you read this book, you feel like you have a good friend sitting in front of you explaining the entrails of the godfather of liberal arts; Philosophy.

I loved this book. Though I already have a general knowledge of (mainly Greek, Asian and German) philosophy I was very entertained by this book. Full of funny little cartoons to emphasis points, this book really break down the basics of philosophy. It's also
Yuni Ananindra
Sep 29, 2014 Yuni Ananindra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sebenarnya, buku nonfiksi dengan ketebalan kurang dari dua ratus halaman ini bisa diselesaikan dalam waktu kurang dari dua minggu. Tapi, berhubung waktu baca kepotong sama sakit dan pura-pura sibuk akhirnya buku ini mesti dikembalikan ke perpustakaan. :|

Buku ini cocok untuk pemula yang ingin tahu tentang seluk-beluk dunia filsafat. Di sini dijelaskan secara singkat perjalanan filsafat termasuk beberapa teori dan para tokoh sentralnya (meski saya nggak hapal ini ><). Disajikan secara "sant

Willy Akhdes
I finished reading this book in three hours in a public library in my town. I had to stay inside library due to heavy rain outside. This book is a 'light' introduction philosophy book which can cater all kind of reader. Paul Arden, the author is a philosophy lecture. He delivers a brief history of philosophy since Socrates era till modern age in entertaining way. Fully depicted with informative illustration.
Jori Richardson
This book, approaching the subject of philosophy in an entertaining, unfazing manner, covers the basics of the field. I would say that it is written at a middle or high school reading level.
Personally, I did not enjoy this book. I don't feel that it's all that helpful to be cracking jokes about anything and everything in a beginner's philosophy book, and the attempted "comedy," which got old very quickly, was just annoying.
Steven
An abbreviated approach to the history of Western philosophy that hits many of the major ideas. Yet it still manages to advance a particular view of philosophy as a discipline that asks philosophical questions rather than "technical" questions, i.e. questions asked and answered by experts. Turnbull argues, with a light touch, that we are all philosophers because we can all ask and potentially answer philosophical questions.
Eric Harrill
If you can get your hands on this one you'll love it--quite a delightful read I must say. Very condensed but a great treatment of philosophy. Great illustrations on every page. The pre-socratics were purer in their philosophizings. Plato was in the age of the technocrats--the corruption. Our modern age holds many of its forms. Few things I learned.
Sue
Jan 15, 2009 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have only just begun reading philosophy and found this book amusingly interesting. The optimistic ending is great.
Nick Cox
Jun 19, 2015 Nick Cox rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Biased and over-simplified in places with some important omissions, but overall thought-provoking if read with an open mind and a critical attitude to the text.
M.E.
Jul 13, 2011 M.E. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: summer-2011
A good intro to many philosopher's theories, but in its attempt to stay simple, many of the more complex concepts become inconsolably convoluted.
Emily Brake
Emily Brake rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2014
Dan Meier
Dan Meier rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2011
Gregory Casteel
Gregory Casteel rated it really liked it
May 02, 2014
Marlobo
Marlobo rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2014
Etienne-Emile
Etienne-Emile rated it it was ok
May 17, 2014
Marili
Marili rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2011
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2015
Murilo
Murilo rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
Kniz
Kniz rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2013
Linda
Linda rated it liked it
Jul 19, 2012
Kristin
Kristin rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2012
Rick Hess
Rick Hess rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2009
Dana
Dana rated it liked it
Jul 16, 2012
J.A.
J.A. rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
MollieJoy
MollieJoy rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2015
AuClair Debussy
AuClair Debussy rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Serpents of Paradise: A Reader
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2003
  • I Can See You Naked
  • Medical Terminology: A Short Course
  • Integrity Selling for the 21st Century: How to Sell the Way People Want to Buy
  • The Best American Travel Writing 2002
  • Evil: A Primer: A History of a Bad Idea from Beelzebub to Bin Laden
  • FYI: For Your Improvement, A Guide for Development and Coaching
  • Liberty and Power: The Politics of Jacksonian America
  • On the Mystery: Discerning Divinity in Process
  • Mid-Course Correction: Toward a Sustainable Enterprise: The Interface Model
  • The Big Book of Tell Me Why: Answers to Hundreds of Questions Children Ask
  • Bodhisattva of Compassion: The Mystical Tradition of Kuan Yin (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • A Brief History of Western Philosophy
  • My Blue Notebooks: The Intimate Journal of Paris's Most Beautiful and Notorious Courtesan
  • The Articulate Executive: Learn to Look, ACT, and Sound Like a Leader