Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School

Ellie McDoodle: New Kid in School

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  574 ratings  ·  67 reviews
When Ellie’s family moves to a new town, she’s sure she won’t fit in. Nobody else likes to read as much as she does, and even the teachers can’t get her name right. But when the students need someone to help them rally against unfair lunch lines, it’s Ellie to the rescue—and if shorter lines and better food prevail, can friendship be far behind?
Published June 24th 2008 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Ellie McDoodle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ellie McDoodle

Cameron
ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...more
Boni
I liked this one even better than the first book. I almost think the two books should have been reversed- we needed to get to know Ellie in a familiar-to-everyone setting (I think everyone has been new somewhere at sometime) before we saw her in a new-to-her setting (being away from your immediate family with relatives) with which not everyone may be familiar. In any case that doesn't matter- now that this one is out, I'll just recommend people read this one first, then the first one second. Ha-...more
Charlyn  Trussell
Jul 29, 2009 Charlyn Trussell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Gr. 3 and up
Because I enjoyed the first book about Ellie, Have Pen, Will Travel, I was looking forward to reading this book and I wasn't disappointed. Barshaw continues to maintain Ellie's point of view in both the narrative and the pictures which make up Ellie's journal. In this book, Ellie is having a very hard time because her family is moving into a house she hates, into a room she doesn't want to share with her sister, and she's going to be beginning a new school in a new grade. And the beginning of sc...more
Becky
How fun! A comic book/diary with a girl protagonist, a la Amelia by Marissa Moss. Obviously this one will be compared to Diary of a Wimpy Kid and would surely appeal to the same type of reader. It's not quite as slapstick as Wimpy Kid (though the practical jokes Ellie's family plays on each other are pretty dang funny) -- it's got more real angst about moving, making friends, and staying true to yourself than Greg does. I've never had to move and start at a new school myself, but I sure felt Ell...more
Betsy
I know that the whole girl-who-draws story idea isn't necessarily new. I mean, before Ruth McNally Barshaw wrote Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel there were books out there like Amelia's Notebook and the like. But is it just me or has the whole doodling girl idea gotten crazy popular recently? This year alone I've seen Katie Davis and her comic-centered The Curse of Addy McMahon and Margie Palatini's Geek Chic: The Zoey Zone. Girls with pens are in, my friend. So it is that we welcome b...more
Colby Sharp
Last year Rush Barshaw came to our school and I had a bit of a bad attitude about it. I was getting very sick of the Diary of a Wimpy Kid books, and felt like she was probably just taking advantage of his glory.

After reading New Kid in School, I admit that I was very incorrect in my assumptions of Ellie McDoodle. Ellie is a super cool character that I think young students will instantly gravitate towards. She deals with real kid issues and I love the way the doodles compliment the writing.

Grea...more
Margaret
4/29/11 ** Twelve of my 25 fourth graders read the requisite 5 books needed to vote in the Young Hoosiers Book Award Contest; four of them chose this as the best book. After reading it for myself, I have to agree that it's worth an award. The poignancy of moving, the joy of finding friends who share your interests, and the passion of a non-violent protest all contribute to a fast-paced, enjoyable middle-grades chapter book.

Ellie (not Ella or Eleanor!) is new in town. She finds refuge first in t...more
Ellie McDoodle is a hit with my fourth grade girls and I have to admit that I'm the librarian that recommends the book without having read it. So when New Kid in School arrived with my latest book order, I made sure to snag it and give it a go.

And it's easy to see why my girls gobble this up. Like Wimpy Kid, Ellie's illustrations and doodles make this for a fun, fast read. Ellie is a sweet worrier and in this installment, her family moves to a new town. She meets a wonderful librarian, ends up w...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Marie Robinson for TeensReadToo.com

Ellie McDougal is the new kid in school. She had to leave her happy life behind when her family moved to a new town, and she is sure that her new home cannot possibly measure up. Little by little she begins to adjust, first by settling in at home with her new room, and then by spending time at the local library, where she finds books comforting and familiar.

She is especially nervous about fitting in at school. The other kids tease her, and no one c...more
Becky
Barshaw, Ruth McNally. 2008. Ellie McDoodle: New Kid In School.

I enjoyed this one. I think I enjoyed it even more than the first Ellie McDoodle adventure. In the second book, our little heroine, Ellie, is getting ready to move. And she is not happy one little bit. New home. New neighborhood. New school. Here's how the book begins,

The End.
Seriously. This is the end. I'm doing this new journal to keep track of my family's move to a new house (new city, new schools, new everything.) There won't b...more
Addison Children
This is Diary of a Wimpy Kid for Girls. We are reading Ellie's journal, filled with her illustrations, as she transitions with her family to a new house, new school, new friends. She is not very happy about it, but it turns out okay at the end. 188 pages, but 50% of each is illustrations and cartoons.
Hannah Akers
I can't remember much about this book. Hopefully I liked it, so 3 stars.
Dean Deters
Summary-Ellies moving. Shes sad that shes moving. Problem and solution-Ellies doesn't want to move. Then she gets happy. Most Important Event-Ellies moving to a new school and a knew house. And knew life. Settings-This book takes place in a house and a school. Moral- Its good to try NEW things. Recommendation- I think you would like this game if you like to try NEW things!!! BY-HAILEY!!!
Pam
Loved this book! If you have a young female reader who enjoys _fun_ books, this one is perfect. Ellie is part of a large, creative family that is new to town. Although it seems like standard kid fare of being new in school, Barshaw is so creative with her drawings and Ellie's voice that you are engaged and drawn into Ellie's world. Using the genre-bending style that kids adore (think Diary of A Wimpy Kid), the book is accessible and interesting and pitch perfect for the tween set.
Jennifer Danko
Ellie McDoodle is an easy to read chapter book. Instead of forcing children to read a standard chapter book, Barshaw has created a book that takes shape in the form of a journal. Ellie’s thoughts are written down on every page with a doodle that corresponds with her thoughts. This form of chapter book makes for a great transition from picture books to chapter books. Second and third grades will enjoy this book for years to come. Not only is Ellie relatable, she’s likeable as well.
Madeline
The Ellie Mcdoodle books are really fun, written in sketchbook/diary style. I'm used to reading more serious historical fiction, which I really enjoy, but I love a funny, light hearted contemporary book to space between them, even if they are a little young for my age. This one is my favorite in the series, and at almost 200 easy sketch-filled pages, is a great book to curl up with on a rainy day. This series is cute and fun to read, with a nice and relatable storyline.
Erin
Part sketchbook, part story. When Ellie McDoodle is forced to move to a new town, she knows she's going to hate everything about it. Her sketchbook is filled with the trials and triumphs of advocating for her own room, dealing with her wacky family, and most of all, trying to fit in at a new school. Reading this made me remember the moves my family made when I was a kid - I can totally relate to Ellie's attitude!
Katherine
Dec 06, 2008 Katherine rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: reluctant readers
Ellie is an empathetic character - I have never moved to a new school, but I've been in new situations and I think Ellie's reactions and responses to being the new girl are right on. Also humorous and adventurous -- drawing the backs of people's heads as a way to learn their names, playing great games with new neighbors.

This is a sketch book -- and the sketches remind me of Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
Erik
This is a quick but enjoyable read. It has a similar writing style to the Wimpy Kid series, but is much better than those. The writing is pretty easy, so ever many lower young readers should be able to handle it. It has a bunch of simple lessons for things like origami and has a fair number of times that the characters play on words (you are a TRACTIVE for example). A fun fast read.
Ilovereading
An adorable read about a girl who is not looking forward to moving but finds an unexpected friend in the town librarian. To see my full review, visit:

I review preteen, teen, young adult, and adult fiction all on the same website. Please stop by and take a look!
Lisa
Read it in one sitting!
I, too, enjoyed this one even more than the first, and I really liked the first.

Ellie is a fun charcter and I loved how everything in the book ties together in the end. Very clever!

I bought this a few weeks ago, and just now had time for it, but now I wished I would've read it sooner because I have read some disappointing things lately.

B
The second in this series about a girl who keeps a sketching journal. I thought this one was spot on about what it feels like to leave a home, move into a new neighborhood and start all over with friends and school. The author's sketches are great..humorous with emotional depth
Also liked how in the end the author gives tips on keeping your own sketching journal.
Suzanne
Great kids book about moving. Written in the journal style, with drawings & captions. We recently read the Amanda's notebook series & I like these better -- the doodles are more in line with the story & it just seems to flow better. Ellie is a little more grown up than Amanda & seems to have a more independent, active style of dealing with issues.
Amy Brown
Lots of comic drawing like Diary of a Wimpy Kid. This is the second Ellie McDoodle book. Ellie has to move and is miserable until she starts to make friends and fights for something she believes in at school. I really liked this book and the mix of diary, comics, story. Also, I think it's cool that the author is from Lansing, MI near where I used to live.
Brandi
Nov 23, 2011 Brandi rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, especially kids who lile to draw :)
I like reading books for kids. This one reminded me a lot of how I felt in elementary and middle school. You'll love it if you liked Diary of a Wimpy Kid. I found a lot of similarities between the two series, especially the families, the situations the main characters get into, and the solutions they eventually arrive at. Recommended for any age.
Brooklyn
ellie mcdoodle new kid in school is about a girl who moves towns and loses touch with her friends but keeps a journel so she can write her feelings and such.she doent think she will fit in but along the way she meets new friends and starts to hang out with them there are also kids who pick on her but she learns how to get through it all
Debbie Hoskins
Grand Rapids Public Library used this books as the One Book One City for kids selection. Ruth did a really good job with the kids. Drawing Ellie and also teaching the students how to draw a dragon. There's instructions on how to make a folding fortune-teller and how to play Ghost in the Graveyard. Very fun.
Akira Kubo
I think main character, Ellie is really positive and has confident. Because her family had to move to different place and she had many friends before but she lost her friends. So she had to change her life. She really tried hard to talk to new person. This book is about how Ellie changes her life and her school life.
Beth Chandler
This is fun! Ellie has the traditional fears of moving to a new school but the story is well-told and humorous. Her siblings add to the humor.

Lots of "Ellie's" drawings in the book: it's sort of a girl's Wimpy Kid.

Definite recommendation for middle schoolers. And there's more in the series!
Kristin
cute. Ellie moves to a new school in a new place and is worried about fitting in, making friends, and just knowing the ropes of the school in general. She is really sad, but has a supportive family, and this book is her journal about her experiences.
  • Ottoline Goes to School
  • Over My Dead Body (43 Old Cemetery Road, #2)
  • Penny Dreadful
  • Emmaline and the Bunny
  • Julia Gillian (and The Art Of Knowing)
  • Moxy Maxwell Does Not Love Stuart Little
  • Alvin Ho: Allergic to Dead Bodies, Funerals, and Other Fatal Circumstances (Alvin Ho, #4)
  • What Happened on Fox Street
  • Bird
  • The Year of the Rat
  • Middle School Is Worse Than Meatloaf: A Year Told Through Stuff
  • The Dunderheads
  • Piper Reed: Navy Brat (Piper Reed #1)
  • A Book
  • Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom
  • The Hinky-Pink: An Old Tale
  • Lucky Breaks (The Hard Pan Trilogy, #2)
  • How to Grow Up and Rule the World, by Vordak the Incomprehensible (Vordak #1)
Ellie McDoodle: Have Pen, Will Travel Ellie McDoodle: Best Friends Fur-Ever Ellie McDoodle: Most Valuable Player The Ellie McDoodle Diaries: The Show Must Go On The Ellie McDoodle Diaries: Ellie for President