Start by marking “Bloody Harvests” as Want to Read:
Bloody Harvests

Bloody Harvests (Jacob Tshabalala #1)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  41 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Even your soul isn't safe in death…

On the outskirts of shimmering Johannesburg, Detective Harry Mason and his crew are summoned to a grisly crime scene. By all accounts, discovering the mutilated corpse of a young child is a horrific and heart-wrenching task. But in the South African city, where some citizens still cling to the nation's mythological past, there is much mor
Published October 31st 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published February 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bloody Harvests, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloody Harvests

Brigid Primrose
It is a long time since I have read a book termed as a thriller that to my mind really is a thriller. "Bloody Harvests" kept me riveted to my chair with all else forgotten while I lost myself in it's pages. I found this book to be not only exciting but very fast moving and it was pleasant to note that the author kept on track with the main line of the story and did not divert to fill up pages with sex scenes and walks in the park.
This book packs a punch and I look forward to reading more of Rich
Ryanie Primrose
I was loaned this book by my brother who is a friend of Richards.
I could not put it down. It is totally mind blowing, thought provoking and needless to say blood curdling.
I need more. I am an adict now.
Cant wait to get my hands on another.
I have even gone so far as to contact Richard Kunzmann directly and thank him for the experience
Sandi
Intense, disturbing thriller set in the criminal underworld of Johannesburg South Africa. The author mixes African myths and legends with everyday criminal activity. Lots of violence against children so not a read for everyone.
Melissa
Jul 07, 2008 Melissa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of crime thrillers
Shelves: mysteries
I'd really like to give this book 3.5 stars, only docking a half-star because the genre is not my favorite.

I started reading this book determined to not be especially fond of it - primarily due to the amount of violence against children, and the emphasis on dark African magic. I expected a book full of gut-wrenching violence and cheap thriller techniques designed to keep you turning pages, sprinkled with enough supernatural mumbo-jumbo to lend a little mood lighting. In short, I expected Dan Br
Margaret Sankey
Cop's whiny wife resents his job. This is either the laziest writing device ever or some great cross-cultural truth, I can't decide. Otherwise, an interesting cop-buddy mystery with a pair of South African detectives (one white, one Zulu) solving ritual murders in a milieu of corruption, post-Apartheid social tensions and globalization of the drug and sex trades.
Skip
Slow at the beginning, but good enough that I want to read Kunzmann's next book. Based in Johannesburg, two cops (one white, one black) seek to stop a drug-dealer and body parts occult dealer, while each battles demons in their own past. Win some, lose some.
Debbie
Not a book for everyone. A somewhat uneasy mixture of chasing a child murderer and African witchcraft. Set in South Africa.
Natalie Conyer
Natalie Conyer marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Rusalka
Rusalka marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2014
Durinda
Durinda marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Denice
Denice added it
Jun 12, 2014
Bob
Bob marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Melinda
Melinda marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2014
Roxane Lapa
Roxane Lapa marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2013
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Dion
Dion marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Mariam
Mariam marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2013
Marty
Marty marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Richard Kunzmann published his first police procedural in the UK at the tender age of 26, and Bloody Harvests was immediately short-listed for the Crime Writers Association’s lucrative J.C.W. Creasy Award for Best New Novel, in 2002. Publication of Bloody Harvests and his second thriller, Salamander Cotton , quickly followed in all English language territories.

The Washington Post has described his
More about Richard Kunzmann...

Jacob Tshabalala (3 books)
  • Salamander Cotton
  • Dead-End Road
Salamander Cotton Dead-End Road Blutige ernte Bloody Harvests (Jeremiah Spur Mysteries) Brennende Erde