Start by marking “Bloody Harvests” as Want to Read:
Bloody Harvests

Bloody Harvests (Jacob Tshabalala #1)

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Even your soul isn't safe in death…

On the outskirts of shimmering Johannesburg, Detective Harry Mason and his crew are summoned to a grisly crime scene. By all accounts, discovering the mutilated corpse of a young child is a horrific and heart-wrenching task. But in the South African city, where some citizens still cling to the nation's mythological past, there is much mor
Published October 31st 2006 by Minotaur Books (first published February 4th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Bloody Harvests, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloody Harvests

Brigid Primrose
Feb 12, 2009 Brigid Primrose rated it it was amazing
It is a long time since I have read a book termed as a thriller that to my mind really is a thriller. "Bloody Harvests" kept me riveted to my chair with all else forgotten while I lost myself in it's pages. I found this book to be not only exciting but very fast moving and it was pleasant to note that the author kept on track with the main line of the story and did not divert to fill up pages with sex scenes and walks in the park.
This book packs a punch and I look forward to reading more of Rich
Ryanie Primrose
Feb 12, 2009 Ryanie Primrose rated it it was amazing
I was loaned this book by my brother who is a friend of Richards.
I could not put it down. It is totally mind blowing, thought provoking and needless to say blood curdling.
I need more. I am an adict now.
Cant wait to get my hands on another.
I have even gone so far as to contact Richard Kunzmann directly and thank him for the experience
Sandi
Intense, disturbing thriller set in the criminal underworld of Johannesburg South Africa. The author mixes African myths and legends with everyday criminal activity. Lots of violence against children so not a read for everyone.
Melissa
Jul 07, 2008 Melissa rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of crime thrillers
Shelves: mysteries
I'd really like to give this book 3.5 stars, only docking a half-star because the genre is not my favorite.

I started reading this book determined to not be especially fond of it - primarily due to the amount of violence against children, and the emphasis on dark African magic. I expected a book full of gut-wrenching violence and cheap thriller techniques designed to keep you turning pages, sprinkled with enough supernatural mumbo-jumbo to lend a little mood lighting. In short, I expected Dan Br
Margaret Sankey
Jul 23, 2011 Margaret Sankey rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Cop's whiny wife resents his job. This is either the laziest writing device ever or some great cross-cultural truth, I can't decide. Otherwise, an interesting cop-buddy mystery with a pair of South African detectives (one white, one Zulu) solving ritual murders in a milieu of corruption, post-Apartheid social tensions and globalization of the drug and sex trades.
Skip
Jan 06, 2010 Skip rated it really liked it
Slow at the beginning, but good enough that I want to read Kunzmann's next book. Based in Johannesburg, two cops (one white, one black) seek to stop a drug-dealer and body parts occult dealer, while each battles demons in their own past. Win some, lose some.
Debbie
May 25, 2013 Debbie rated it really liked it
Not a book for everyone. A somewhat uneasy mixture of chasing a child murderer and African witchcraft. Set in South Africa.
Amanda Patterson
Aug 10, 2011 Amanda Patterson rated it did not like it
Really creepy.
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Julia Peters
Julia Peters marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Maida
Maida marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Krista
Krista marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Jorden Cassidy
Jorden Cassidy marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Barbara M
Barbara M marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Katariina
Katariina marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Denise Quinn
Denise Quinn rated it it was ok
Feb 04, 2016
Librivore
Librivore rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Maria
Maria added it
Jan 18, 2016
Antonia
Antonia marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
L.
L. marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2016
Heather Johnson
Heather Johnson marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2015
Pam
Pam marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Bücher Strudel
Bücher Strudel marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2015
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Tom
Tom marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Ivo Shmilev
Ivo Shmilev rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Claudis Gedankenwelt
Claudis Gedankenwelt marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Natalie Conyer
Natalie Conyer marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Richard Kunzmann published his first police procedural in the UK at the tender age of 26, and Bloody Harvests was immediately short-listed for the Crime Writers Association’s lucrative J.C.W. Creasy Award for Best New Novel, in 2002. Publication of Bloody Harvests and his second thriller, Salamander Cotton , quickly followed in all English language territories.

The Washington Post has described his
More about Richard Kunzmann...

Jacob Tshabalala (3 books)
  • Salamander Cotton