Start by marking “The Complete History Of Middle-Earth (Middle-Earth Universe)” as Want to Read:
The Complete History Of Middle-Earth (Middle-Earth Universe)

The Complete History Of Middle-Earth (Middle-Earth Universe)

The complete 12-book History of Middle-earth, printed in three volumes and set in a matching box. J.R.R. Tolkien is famous the world over for his unique literary creation, exemplified in The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarillion. What is less well known, however, is that he also produced a vast amount of further material that greatly expands upon the mythology ...more
Hardcover, Collector's Edition Box-Set, 5392 pages
Published October 27th 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 21st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Complete History Of Middle-Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete History Of Middle-Earth

Michael
Aug 15, 2016 Michael rated it it was amazing
This is not an easy read and should not be the first book to read if you're new to Tolkien, in fact, it should probably be last, after you've read The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, then The Silmarillion and probably Unfinished Tales.

It is an in-depth account of the First Age and the conflict between Morgoth and the elves, men and other gods. It is an awe-inspiring epic of stupendous scale, and it is hard to believe that one man and his fantastical fantasy mind created such a world. If only such tal
Tieria's
Oct 25, 2012 Tieria's rated it it was amazing
I'm using this collective edition of the History because I simply don't have time to address each volume separately. When I first learned of this collection, I thought it was for high-end Tolkien fanatics, and never considered myself to be such. A couple of years and re-readings of the Silmarillion later, I found I wanted more, and I bought the first four volumes on sale in a boxed set. I am now finishing up volume 11.

These books are a fascinating look at the methods of an author whose most imp
Jacopo Piermattei
Jun 05, 2015 Jacopo Piermattei rated it really liked it
I 12 libri che compongono questa collana svelano passo dopo passo retroscena,curiosità, importanti informazioni di "lore" e si pongono come libri propedeutici che dopo il Silmarillion aiutano il lettore nella comprensione del mondo tolkeniano. Il lavoro fatto per ricostruire i primi schizzi di Arda, i collegamenti storici tra il nostro mondo e quello del professore, le lettere tra quest'ultimo e i commentatori dei suoi lavori ( personcine sconosciute come Lewis *sarcastic mode on*) è notevole, ...more
Peter
Jan 14, 2013 Peter rated it it was amazing
An amazing body of work. I'm convinced that you need to be a Tolkien completist and fully immersed in middle earth, the elves etc etc to a) get the most out of this and b) to have any chance of completing this series of books.

If you have read everything J.R.R. Tolkien has done and you want more ... these books might be for you. I enjoyed getting even deeper into the Tolkien world, but understand it may not be for most readers.
Howard G
Howard G rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2013
Jan -
Jan - rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Narcy
Narcy rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
Elentarri
Elentarri rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2013
Sadeq
Sadeq rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2014
Natalie DeYoung
Natalie DeYoung rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2014
IGOR MACEDO DE LUCENA
IGOR MACEDO DE LUCENA rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
Nigel Collis
Nigel Collis rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2015
Luke Turpeinen
Luke Turpeinen rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2013
Giannis Zapounidis
Giannis Zapounidis rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2014
Dancomfort
Dancomfort rated it it was amazing
Feb 18, 2013
Ruth-dawn Griffeth
Ruth-dawn Griffeth rated it it was amazing
Nov 04, 2014
Kris
Kris rated it it was amazing
May 28, 2015
Chingun Oyunbileg
Chingun Oyunbileg rated it liked it
Jul 13, 2013
Rob
Rob rated it really liked it
May 27, 2008
Jacob Mills
Jacob Mills rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2014
BARRY  Sullivan
BARRY Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2014
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Harvey Harrison
Harvey Harrison rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2013
Nicholas
Nicholas rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Dave Lee
Dave Lee rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2016
Neil Coulter
Neil Coulter rated it it was amazing
Oct 16, 2014
Gary Taylor
Gary Taylor rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Arms Kittisak
Arms Kittisak rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2014
Simone Conti
Simone Conti rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The History of the Hobbit (One-Volume Edition)
  • The Mammoth Book of Merlin
  • The Art of The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - The Skyrim Library, Vol. I: The Histories (Skyrim Library,  #1)
  • Loki: Why I Began the End
  • The Inklings of Oxford: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and their Friends
  • Canopus in Argos: Archives
  • J. R. R. Tolkien: The Making of a Legend
  • The Sandman Omnibus, Vol. 2
  • The Philosophy of Tolkien: The Worldview Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies
  • The Hobbit and History: [The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Movie Tie-In]
  • Doré's Illustrations for Don Quixote
  • The Journeys of Frodo
  • Splintered Light: Logos and Language in Tolkien's World
  • Remember
  • Webster's Third New International Dictionary
  • The Book of Christmas (The Enchanted World Series)
John Ronald Reuel Tolkien, CBE, was an English writer, poet, WWI veteran (a First Lieutenant in the Lancashire Fusiliers, British Army), philologist, and university professor, best known as the author of the high fantasy classic works The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings .

Tolkien was Rawlinson and Bosworth Professor of Anglo-Saxon at Oxford from 1925 to 1945, and Merton Professor of English lan
More about J.R.R. Tolkien...