The Martyr's Song

The Martyr's Song

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  2,047 ratings  ·  141 reviews
What would you die for?That's the question suddenly thrust upon a small band of women and children in Bosnia at the close of World War II. When a group of bitter soldiers stumble upon their peaceful village, they suddenly face an insidious evil...and the ultimate test.It is then, in the midst of chaos and pain that the Martyr's Song is first heard. It is then that the wind...more
Audio CD, 140 pages
Published September 1st 2005 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published August 30th 2005)

Debbie
This book made me cry. The worst possible situation happened to this priest. If he wouldn't renounce his faith in Christ with a gun to his head then perhaps one of the children in the orphanage would. If they didn't they would suffer in the same way. This author made a seemingly horrible event, twist and turn into a beautiful, breath taking reality.
Kristy
WOW. Really really powerful book. There's actually a quote from the book that summarizes my feelings on it: "But there was something about this story that had put talons into her heart and refused to let go. She was having a hard time breathing, and her heart was pounding loudly enough for anyone in the room to hear." Yep, that about does it. Awesome book; I love Dekker's portrayal of Jesus in the field of flowers with the children singing...AMAZING!!! Definitely a must read book.
Rachel N
WOW! WOW! WOW! After reading the last page, I closed the book and just sat silently for some time. This book is one to own and re-read over and over.
Becki
Not my favorite of Dekker’s books. So while I checked out the other three books in the “series”, I will be waiting some to read them. Perhaps I’m just not in a Dekker mood right now.
There are four books in the series. But in the intro to The Martyr’s Song it said they can be read in any order. Ack! My left-brained mind can’t handle that. So during my wait I’ll be sorting out recommendations for which order to read them in.
I disagree with the Barnes and Noble synopsis that this is the story of Ma...more
Bmw2jkc2cwc
The night after I finished reading this novel I dreamed about it! It was an awesome dream. One of my best! = ) This book really touched my heart. It was would make a great Sunday school lesson to study. I loved his descriptions of the white field. I could see it. I want to see it. I could almost hear the song in my head. God is good all the time...and All the time God is good. I highly recommend this short novel. I can't wait to get my hands on the other novels in this series.
J.S. Bailey
This novella is considered to be Book 4 in the Martyr's Song series, but really all it is is the same "book-within-a-book" that we see in When Heaven Weeps. Don't get me wrong--I love the story of the peaceful Yugoslavian villagers who are placed at the mercy of a crazed Serbian commander who orders them to renounce their faith on pain of death--but I thought this was going to be something a little different.

One of the main points of the story (and that of many other Dekker works) is that all of...more
Jessica
Oct 22, 2011 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Wow.
By some twist of fate I snatched this from my mom's bookshelf, recognizing Dekker's name, thinking I could go for a decent author's works right now. In an hour, Ted Dekker completely shocked me. Any person looking for answers on anything-faith, beauty, sacrifice- nearly anything MUST read this book. It will change your life.
And take Eve's advice- Who are you in the story?

I can't wait to find where the rest of the Martyr's Song books are hidden in my house.
Annie
This book was absolutely AMAZING in my opinion. As always Dekker gave very vivid descriptions of both the setting and the characters. I did not expect the plot line to be so thought provoking and deep; I had been expecting a thriller. Although, the book was not a thriller it gave me a new perspective of beauty and really touched my heart. This was a great book that DEFENITELY deserved a 5 star rating. :) I would recommend this book to anyone above the age of 13.
Kristy
"What would you die for?
That's the question suddenly thrust upon a small band of women and children in Bosnia at the close of World War II. When a group of bitter soldiers stumble upon their peaceful village, they suddenly face an insidious evil...and the ultimate test. It is then, in the midst of chaos and pain that the Martyr's Song is first heard. It is then that the window into heaven first opens. It is then that love and beauty are shown in breathtaking reality.
You have in your hands the...more
Samantha
Jonathan
The Martyr's Song is a good book by Ted Dekker in the Christian fiction/thriller genre. It is about a woman who reads a girl a story. The story is about five soldiers who go to a town and torture the town for their faith. It is good, because it shows how persistent the town was in keeping their faith. It shows how real Christians should act, never leaving God, and always trusting him no matter what bad things happen.
The soldiers load concrete crosses on some of the people in the town saying that...more
Anna
It isn't that Jan's story was terrible, it was that the tiny story molded around Jan's story was. The Martyr's Song isn't bad, and it wasn't too bad in any of the other three novels in this series. But Eve's story with Marci was horribly developed (or just wasn't at all). It was completely unbelievable that Marci would change from that one encounter with an aggressive stranger. Also, Nadia's beauty compared with Marci's beauty really wasn't the whole point of Nadia and Father Michael's story, so...more
Jessalyn Joy Hanken
I read this a while ago but never remembered to put it on the list. It is the unofficial first book of the Marty's Song series! A great series written by Ted Dekker an incredible Christian author.
Michelle Lee
Love love love!!!! Read it and live it with the characters.
Sheila
A riveting read from a masterful storyteller. Dekker warned in the author's note that the story would be graphic, and it was. He didn't shirk away from the brutal truth he was trying to portray, nor did he try to package it in a more palatable way. and I found myself like Marci in the story, perturbed by the tale yet finding myself unable to turn away. The only drawback I find is that the story ends a little abruptly, and leaves a sense that it is incomplete somehow. Having said that, it may hav...more
Kaitlynn
A story that makes one asks the hard questions that one should be ready to answer such as "would you renounce Christ to save a life?" Though, there is a pain, one finds where real beauty lies.
Olivia
Simply an amazing story.
Terry Bell
Ok , problem here ppl... We need about 5 more stars offered on the rating scale please?
I actually bought the audio book.
This was the first time I realized that this author wrote Thr3e that was made into a movie. I couldn't put the iPhone and earbuds down! I laughed when the characters laughed, cried when they did, felt defiant when they did and saw myself in a new light as I realized I was just like this girl. The one listening to the woman's story.
One word describes this story.

Wow!....

A must...more
Emily
First experience with Ted Dekker, and it was wonderful. My heart's already longing daily for Heaven, and this just further compelled it.

I didn't know what to expect, but a friend gave me a stack of his books; this was the first even of its genre that I've tried. Sympathetic characters, swift-paced style of writing, and suspense around every corner. And how refreshing to read a book with redemption - answers to the terrible questions of life! I really enjoyed it and am eager for the next.
Kayle
For such a short book, I started crying about halfway through it and cried the rest of the way through. I don't usually cry easily. It only took me about an hour to read and when I was done I listened to the actual song "The Martyr's Song" written by Ted Dekker and Todd Agnew (which came with my copy of the book). Then I just kept on crying. I still almost cry every time I hear that song. It is just so powerful.

Very short, easy to read book, but it stays with you for a long time.
Brenda
Wow! This book was so much more than I expected. It is a fairly short story that was written last in the series, but is the beginning of the story. This is a story of a priest and his Christian followers in the jungles of Somalia during WW2. When the group is horribly persecuted and tortured, Father Micheal gives his all based on his love for Christ. It is a hard story to read, but beautiful as well. I am going to purchase this entire series and add it to our church library.
Jason
Very short story, but very captivating. Dekker does an amazing job contrasting this world with the world that is to come. I also really enjoyed it tying back to our fractured perspective that we all tend to live with. We do not see this world as God sees it. We catch glimpses and we can hope to get closer and closer to seeing it...but ultimately while we are here, our goal should be to have the faith that is exhibited in this story.
Jeanne
I'm glad I read the book, though it might have been better to read it prior to reading the series it was based on. This was the prequel, and it is referenced in the Heaven series multiple times. The story was not a new story to me, but it was nice to read the entire story at one time instead of in pieces as it was portrayed in the Series. The writing is excellent, as all Ted Dekker books are. Hope you enjoy reading it as well.
Lynnette
As a Dekker book goes, this was a quick read and not as far 'out there' as his other books. I find Dekker's books to be dark and rather disturbing, affecting my sleep patterns. This one was easier to follow and illustrated truth well. It showed humanity at its worst and its best.

As always, he makes me think a little deeper about my faith.

And reminded me to look forward to my future with Christ.
Ceira
Powerful, moving, this book made me weep. Not out of a dark grief, though the events are tragic and cruel. It is sorrow mixed with joy; seeing the beauty of God working past man's sin. My brother and I both read it in a day, it's short, and you can't leave it unfinished. Written as a story in a story, I would give the inner story 5 stars, and the outer maybe 2.
Megan
Although the Martyr' Song books aren't numbered this is the one I read first and I think it begins the story quite well. Ivena tells a story to a young girl in order to teach her an important lesson...a story that comes from the religious war in Bosnia Herzegovina to a small church that is attacked by...you should really read it! It took me inside the book.
Michelle Crane-burns
Not very impressed. There was no resolve at the end that told us "why". Where was the redeeming of the village from the evil. So many lives where destroyed by one beings "free will". I don't think I'll read anymore of Ted's books, just too dark, no real joy that makes our faith worth living out on this pathetic existence we call life.
Maranda Kearns
I like Ted Dekker books. This was one a fast read - a small paperback only 128 pages. I also have the hardcover with the CD of the song. The book tells a story of what happened to a small village in Bosnia at the close of WW II. If you are a Christian, you will appreciate a "glimpse into heaven". A good read.
Terry  Bell
Actually I bought this as an audio book. Once I started listening to it I had a hard time putting it down!
Every chance I got I would grab my phone and earplugs!
I laughed, I cried....every emotion that was put forth in the story I felt.
How would I explain it?
One word...

((( WOW! )))

A MUST read!
Mary Ann
Quite thought provoking considering the world we live in today with all of its wars and revolutions throughout nearly every continent. Unfortunately it is a reflection of man's inhumanity to fellow beings and God's creation in general. Would each of us prove as staong as the priest and Nadia??
  • To Kill With Reason
  • Edge of Eternity
  • Tilly
  • Demon: A Memoir
  • Deadfall (John Hutchinson, #1)
  • The Sacrifice
  • Never Let You Go
  • The Shadow Within (Legends of the Guardian-King, #2)
  • Riven
  • Blood of Heaven (Fire of Heaven, #1)
  • Madman
  • When the Day of Evil Comes (Day of Evil, #1)
  • Plague Maker
  • Eyes of Elisha (Chelsea Adams Series, #1)
  • Shade
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
More about Ted Dekker...
Thr3e White: The Great Pursuit (The Circle, #3) Black: The Birth of Evil (The Circle, #1) Red: The Heroic Rescue (The Circle, #2) Green: The Beginning and the End (The Circle, #0)