Start by marking “Ladies with Options” as Want to Read:
Ladies with Options

Ladies with Options (Larksdale Ladies #1)

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  292 ratings  ·  48 reviews
The members of the Mostly Methodist Club were used to swapping recipes, not stock tips. Until a pink-haired young rebel found her way into the group and tipped them off to how fun--and lucrative--taking a few risks can be.
Published February 7th 2006 by Berkley (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ladies with Options, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ladies with Options

Kristy Buzbee
I can't put my finger on what made this book so irresistible. So un-put-downable. But it was lengthy and I read it in like...a day. It's a surprisingly fast read. Why? I couldn't tell you. It just sucked me in, I guess. It starts in 1983, with the Mostly Methodist Club (Deborah Cohen makes it "mostly"), a group of women in a small town in Minnesota. Mostly just housewives, their club meets each Saturday for things like recipe swaps, bake sales, and church fundraisers. One day, Mary brings in a s...more
Karen Hansen
Cynthia Hartwick's "Ladies With Options" was loaned to me by a very good friend and described as a light, fun read. It was cute, but definitely lacked substance. If the mild profanity was removed, it would be exactly the sort of book that my Grandmother would have loved. Like a cozy mystery, minus the mystery bit.

This is a fictional story about a group of women from Minnesota who in the 1980's strike it rich through savvy investments. There is nothing wrong structurally with the story. It's fine...more
Annie
This is fun. An investment group of women who knew nothing about finance but used common sense. Lives were changed.
It made me laugh, and I like that in a book.
Rachel Rogers
Delightful. Uplifting and mostly happy book about a group of mostly middleaged women who look at their retirement accounts and decide to do something about that sad state of affairs. This leads to investments in Dell and Microsoft in the early 80s. And they follow their noses to some unlikely but highly successful investments. They run into various types of prejudice through the years, as people downplay their success because of age and gender and appearance but put them all in their place in th...more
Katherine
This was originally on book group's list to read for June 2011, the year of the Minnesota author. We replaced it with Kevin Kling's The Dog Says How, thinking The Dog would be a better read. Turns out this would have been the perfect beach read, if any of us had gone to the beach this month. It's light and sorta funny and plain entertaining. Reminds me a bit of Lorna Landvik or Adrianna Trigiani, like milk chocolate for the brain. No nuts and definitely not bitter dark chocolate. I'd read anothe...more
Karen
I really gave this book 4 1/2 stars. I just loved it and had so much fun reading it. The story line was good and held my interest. However, the very best part of this book was the author herself and her fabulous sense of humor. The author developed the character whose voice told the story so well that I wanted to be her best friend. I laughed continually as the story was told. There were some really serious and even sad parts of the book, but the main feeling was light, hopeful, and of rising ab...more
Msporter64
I was hoping for more "funny".
Apr 20, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who want an enjoyable read, and who believe in girl power!
Recommended to Jennifer by: the shelf at the library, it just jumped out at me
Sophia is a lawyer in the 80's in Michigan. She narrates the story of how her mother, a housewife, along with 2 libraruans and 3 other housewife, take the stock market by storm and become rich beyond their wildest dreams, and all without ever making much of a fuss about. Hartwick has an easy flow to her story telling, and her methaphors and descriptions had me laughing out loud. This book was a niec departure from all the non-fiction was reading, and I am glad I picked it off the shelf.
Ellen
I enjoyed this novel. It reminded me of a group of women back east who had formed an investment club and then wrote a book about it.
These ladies are middle class, Midwest Methodist matrons who in 1987 decide to pool their money and buy stocks. The men they've come in contact with basically treat them as dumb helpless girls who need a man to tell them how to do something. They begin slowly and gain expertise and success beyond their wildest dreams.
Fun, entertaining read.
bookczuk
Kind of a cute little book...the opening reads:
If you picked up this book looking for one of those bikini-ripping sagas about jet-setting beauties....forget it,. Except for the gorgeous Heidi, whose smallest gesture had grown men biting their palms and howling at the moon, the Larksdale Ladies were mostly a bunch of decent, ordinary women of carious ages and middle-class backgrounds. On the other hand...."
Cindy
Wouldn't you like to be able to play the stock market by writing a book today about what you could have done 15 years ago? Lets see, hmmm, buy some stock called Apple...and google...and
Delightful read about women making choices for themselves, and their finances, which all turn out to be great investments. Fun to read and imagine, set in Minnesota.
Julie
Maybe 3.5 stars. I was entertained. Isn't that really the most important thing about reading? I would love to see this book made into a movie. It reads a lot like I imagine Steel Magnolias would read. Entertaining & the you can't help but fall in like with the older women folk in the book. FYI though, they drop the F Bomb 3 or 4 times.
Nancy
C-O-R-N-Y! This was a friend's who threw it at me for a quick read. It was so corny it was funny (not in a LOL way)...just kind of say, cute. Bunch of midwestern housewives form an investment club that scores big and does big things. Anyway, not one for the must read list, but good for two pages a night before nodding off.
Janice
I go to a little resale book shop near my house. I asked for "humorous chick-lit, not sex/romance". She always gives me great author recommendations. She mentioned this one. I absolutely ate it up...couldn't put it down. Fun characters, suspense and problem-solving. So good I had to read the next one.
Jacq Jardin

Light.. easy to read. A story about a bunch of older women trying their hand on investment and stocks. Now if I could just be as lucky..
Anyway, going back, the story is written in a very readable manner and the metaphors are placed right were they should be. Funny and entertaining.
Katie
Too fluffy even for a plane or a beach read - I finished it only because I was procrastinating. This book had too many side characters that weren't well developed, and the main protagonist seemed rather unlikeable for this type of book.
Danielle
I liked this book, even though the title threw me off. The subject matter is very different than what I expected. There are quite a few characters in the book, and it gets a little confusing at times when the minor characters "pop up."
Jac
This was an adorable book - light, heartwarming and a little silly. The characters are well-rounded and I can find a little of them in the older women I know. I was surprised at how much I loved this book.
Brenda Munds
This is a fun read I think even my husband would enjoy.
Several women in Minnesota start an investment club that
takes them to an incredible financial level. Very funny and
entertaining.

Pam Chapman
Book was OK - a lot of it dragged for me. There were a few interesting characters and the overall plot was good. It seemed like she was in a hurry to finish writing the ending.
Mary
Nice read. Fun book-nothing deep or profound but love that the Ladies were on the cutting edge for stock options in computer technology and just went from there....
Hilary
Great beach read! Light, humorous, fun. It even informs (in a once-over-lightly sort of way) about investing! I've already purchased the next in the series...
Sue Boyd
Read for book club and it was just so much fun to see the characters do so well in the stocks. Really funny! (2003)
Bernadette
Light read, but a little to out there to be believable. Took a while to read for something so light.
Marie
This is one of my favorite fun books! The sequel is not as good, but I just love this one!
Sue
Good, entertaining story about a group of ladies who pool their money and begin investing.
Rebecca
Cute. A fairly quick, fun read. No substance, but sometimes those are the most enjoyable to read!
Marilyn
I enjoyed reading this! It is a light fun story with people that I would like to be friends with.
Sydney
Fun idea for a story and an enjoyable, quick read with humor scattered throughout.
  • A Can of Peas
  • Love Is a Wild Assault
  • Sometimes I Dream in Italian
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • Househusband
  • Crazy English
  • Friendship Cake (Hope Springs #1)
  • The Diary of an American Au Pair: A Novel
  • The Aye-Aye and I: A Rescue Mission in Madagascar
  • Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1)
  • Talking to Addison
  • The Good People of New York
  • The Way Men Act
  • Skyward
  • Staggerford
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • Border Music
Cynthia Hartwick grew up in San Diego, California, but lives in Los Angeles. She has a Ph.D. in English and also attended film school. When not writing, she works as a business consultant.

In a 2001 interview with The Romance Reader, the self-admittedly shy author, Cynthia Hartwick, states that she has held jobs at "everything from working in a restaurant, to sorting mail for the post office, to (...more
More about Cynthia Hartwick...
Ladies With Prospects Millionenschnäppchen.