Start by marking “Ladies with Options” as Want to Read:
Ladies with Options

Ladies with Options (Larksdale Ladies #1)

The members of the Mostly Methodist Club were used to swapping recipes, not stock tips. Until a pink-haired young rebel found her way into the group and tipped them off to how fun--and lucrative--taking a few risks can be.
Published February 7th 2006 by Berkley (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Ladies with Options, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ladies with Options

Rachel Rogers
Jan 07, 2012 Rachel Rogers rated it really liked it
Delightful. Uplifting and mostly happy book about a group of mostly middleaged women who look at their retirement accounts and decide to do something about that sad state of affairs. This leads to investments in Dell and Microsoft in the early 80s. And they follow their noses to some unlikely but highly successful investments. They run into various types of prejudice through the years, as people downplay their success because of age and gender and appearance but put them all in their place in th ...more
Karen
Jan 16, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
I really gave this book 4 1/2 stars. I just loved it and had so much fun reading it. The story line was good and held my interest. However, the very best part of this book was the author herself and her fabulous sense of humor. The author developed the character whose voice told the story so well that I wanted to be her best friend. I laughed continually as the story was told. There were some really serious and even sad parts of the book, but the main feeling was light, hopeful, and of rising ab ...more
Katherine
Jun 22, 2011 Katherine rated it liked it
This was originally on book group's list to read for June 2011, the year of the Minnesota author. We replaced it with Kevin Kling's The Dog Says How, thinking The Dog would be a better read. Turns out this would have been the perfect beach read, if any of us had gone to the beach this month. It's light and sorta funny and plain entertaining. Reminds me a bit of Lorna Landvik or Adrianna Trigiani, like milk chocolate for the brain. No nuts and definitely not bitter dark chocolate. I'd read anothe ...more
Ellen
Nov 05, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this novel. It reminded me of a group of women back east who had formed an investment club and then wrote a book about it.
These ladies are middle class, Midwest Methodist matrons who in 1987 decide to pool their money and buy stocks. The men they've come in contact with basically treat them as dumb helpless girls who need a man to tell them how to do something. They begin slowly and gain expertise and success beyond their wildest dreams.
Fun, entertaining read.
Cindy
Apr 05, 2009 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wouldn't you like to be able to play the stock market by writing a book today about what you could have done 15 years ago? Lets see, hmmm, buy some stock called Apple...and google...and
Delightful read about women making choices for themselves, and their finances, which all turn out to be great investments. Fun to read and imagine, set in Minnesota.
Peggy Scripter
Oct 11, 2015 Peggy Scripter rated it it was ok
My sister-in-law Jenette recommended this book to me, and since she had finished and loved two books* that I had recommended to her, I thought I should finish this book. It was OK, but why is the main character who tells the story so lifeless? This happens a lot in mediocre books. (*A Long Way From Chicago and A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck. Now those books are WORTH READING!)
Annie
Jul 15, 2014 Annie rated it really liked it
This is fun. An investment group of women who knew nothing about finance but used common sense. Lives were changed.
It made me laugh, and I like that in a book.
Nikki
Feb 14, 2015 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
It was good. The short chapters made it easy to pick up and put down. Of course, that limited the ability to really get into the book. It was just a nice book to read.
Kristy Buzbee
Jun 30, 2008 Kristy Buzbee rated it really liked it
I can't put my finger on what made this book so irresistible. So un-put-downable. But it was lengthy and I read it in like...a day. It's a surprisingly fast read. Why? I couldn't tell you. It just sucked me in, I guess. It starts in 1983, with the Mostly Methodist Club (Deborah Cohen makes it "mostly"), a group of women in a small town in Minnesota. Mostly just housewives, their club meets each Saturday for things like recipe swaps, bake sales, and church fundraisers. One day, Mary brings in a s ...more
Karen Germain
Jul 05, 2012 Karen Germain rated it it was ok
Cynthia Hartwick's "Ladies With Options" was loaned to me by a very good friend and described as a light, fun read. It was cute, but definitely lacked substance. If the mild profanity was removed, it would be exactly the sort of book that my Grandmother would have loved. Like a cozy mystery, minus the mystery bit.

This is a fictional story about a group of women from Minnesota who in the 1980's strike it rich through savvy investments. There is nothing wrong structurally with the story. It's fine
Carolynne
Jan 26, 2015 Carolynne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
"Minnesota, 1983 The Mostly Methodist Club met Saturday morning year-round, but was at its best in autumn and winter, when it helped steel the ladies for the Sundays their men spent watching TV sports with eyes glazed like so many holiday hams…"

The story is told from the point of view of Sophia, a daughter of one of the ladies in the club. She observes as the ladies gradually turn their weekly ladies club into a solid investment club. They become wealthy as the town around them dies, following t
Amy
Dec 23, 2008 Amy rated it liked it
Kind of a cute little book...the opening reads:
If you picked up this book looking for one of those bikini-ripping sagas about jet-setting beauties....forget it,. Except for the gorgeous Heidi, whose smallest gesture had grown men biting their palms and howling at the moon, the Larksdale Ladies were mostly a bunch of decent, ordinary women of carious ages and middle-class backgrounds. On the other hand...."
Apr 20, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who want an enjoyable read, and who believe in girl power!
Recommended to Jennifer by: the shelf at the library, it just jumped out at me
Sophia is a lawyer in the 80's in Michigan. She narrates the story of how her mother, a housewife, along with 2 libraruans and 3 other housewife, take the stock market by storm and become rich beyond their wildest dreams, and all without ever making much of a fuss about. Hartwick has an easy flow to her story telling, and her methaphors and descriptions had me laughing out loud. This book was a niec departure from all the non-fiction was reading, and I am glad I picked it off the shelf.
Janice
Aug 26, 2012 Janice rated it it was amazing
I go to a little resale book shop near my house. I asked for "humorous chick-lit, not sex/romance". She always gives me great author recommendations. She mentioned this one. I absolutely ate it up...couldn't put it down. Fun characters, suspense and problem-solving. So good I had to read the next one.
Nancy
Jan 29, 2009 Nancy rated it it was ok
C-O-R-N-Y! This was a friend's who threw it at me for a quick read. It was so corny it was funny (not in a LOL way)...just kind of say, cute. Bunch of midwestern housewives form an investment club that scores big and does big things. Anyway, not one for the must read list, but good for two pages a night before nodding off.
Kate
May 10, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
Ok, so I've actually owned this book for 15 years and just got around to reading it. Honestly, I didn't have high expectations and was pleasantly surprised when I dug in. If Garrison Keillor wrote chic-lit, this would be it. Wonderfully character driven, surprisingly feminist, totally heart-warming. Would highly recommend for airplane/travel reading as it moves quickly.
Julie
Jul 25, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
Maybe 3.5 stars. I was entertained. Isn't that really the most important thing about reading? I would love to see this book made into a movie. It reads a lot like I imagine Steel Magnolias would read. Entertaining & the you can't help but fall in like with the older women folk in the book. FYI though, they drop the F Bomb 3 or 4 times.
Katie
Jun 24, 2010 Katie rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
Too fluffy even for a plane or a beach read - I finished it only because I was procrastinating. This book had too many side characters that weren't well developed, and the main protagonist seemed rather unlikeable for this type of book.
J. Dru
Jan 03, 2009 J. Dru rated it really liked it
This was an adorable book - light, heartwarming and a little silly. The characters are well-rounded and I can find a little of them in the older women I know. I was surprised at how much I loved this book.
Jacq Jardin
Aug 18, 2009 Jacq Jardin rated it really liked it

Light.. easy to read. A story about a bunch of older women trying their hand on investment and stocks. Now if I could just be as lucky..
Anyway, going back, the story is written in a very readable manner and the metaphors are placed right were they should be. Funny and entertaining.
Danielle
I liked this book, even though the title threw me off. The subject matter is very different than what I expected. There are quite a few characters in the book, and it gets a little confusing at times when the minor characters "pop up."
Laralin
Feb 23, 2008 Laralin rated it really liked it
Fast, fun read. Rather enjoyable.
Sydney
Jan 12, 2013 Sydney rated it liked it
Fun idea for a story and an enjoyable, quick read with humor scattered throughout.
Bernadette
Jul 03, 2008 Bernadette rated it did not like it
Light read, but a little to out there to be believable. Took a while to read for something so light.
Serena
Jan 08, 2009 Serena rated it really liked it
Fun read - if only we could be so lucky!
Micki
Sep 17, 2009 Micki rated it liked it
Shelves: whine-pages
July, 2006 - Whine & Pages Book Club read this.
Overall rating: 3 wine glasses
Katherine
Jun 20, 2008 Katherine rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. Very light-hearted and fun. Nothing more, nothing less.
Rachel Feldman
Jun 03, 2009 Rachel Feldman rated it liked it
A cute quick beach read! Have read better, but this was entertaining.
Kristie
Feb 20, 2010 Kristie rated it liked it
fun, quick read.
Hilary
Jun 26, 2009 Hilary rated it liked it
Great beach read! Light, humorous, fun. It even informs (in a once-over-lightly sort of way) about investing! I've already purchased the next in the series...
  • Witchcraft at Salem
  • The WWW Club: A Novel of Sex and Bonbons
  • The Diary of an American Au Pair: A Novel
  • The Good People of New York
  • The Aye-Aye and I
  • Deadly Notions (A Southern Sewing Circle, #4)
  • Somewhere Lies the Moon (Victorian Trilogy, #3)
  • The Way Men Act
  • That Carolina Summer
  • Town in a Lobster Stew (A Candy Holliday Mystery, #2)
  • Shower of Stars
  • Talking to Addison
  • Frida's Bed
  • A Can of Peas
Cynthia Hartwick grew up in San Diego, California, but lives in Los Angeles. She has a Ph.D. in English and also attended film school. When not writing, she works as a business consultant.

In a 2001 interview with The Romance Reader, the self-admittedly shy author, Cynthia Hartwick, states that she has held jobs at "everything from working in a restaurant, to sorting mail for the post office, to (
More about Cynthia Hartwick...