The Hired Gun

The Hired Gun

3.0 of 5 stars 3.00  ·  rating details  ·  10 ratings  ·  2 reviews
When you're a contract killer, even the best in the business, losing your job means losing your life. And when a fine young woman enters the picture, John Decker has to choose between the life of a loner and the things he left behind.
Published January 13th 2003 by Justin, Charles and Company (first published January 1st 1955)

To ask other readers questions about The Hired Gun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hired Gun

Ian Mapp
nstantly forgetable tale that was a challenge to read, although at times the interest level was high enough to warrnat continuation.

We have an aging hitman who thinks he is being pursued by a younger man, where they have to form a partnership. And this is where it is all so confusing - the terminology of mail men and post men and so on. I had no idea what they were talking about and this made it difficult to follow.

Where the book did work was on some of the thoughts and dialogues about women and...more
liirogue
Poor characterization, slow pacing, an ultimately predictable ending.

Above all, what really bothered me, was the author's insistence on inundating the reader with frequently unclear (to me, anyway) slang. It's like he was trying to show how cool and "with it" he is, but since I often couldn't figure out just what the hell he was trying to say, his choice fell flat with me.
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Dec 17, 2013
Steven West
Steven West marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2013
Hank Morgan
Hank Morgan marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2013
Jenner
Jenner added it
Nov 26, 2012
Irishdancer
Irishdancer marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2009
Coast The House of Whacks: A Novel Write a Bestselling Thriller: Teach Yourself Strategies to Get Your Book Published The Love Parade The Creative Writing Workbook