Start by marking “Catch Us If You Can” as Want to Read:
Catch Us If You Can

Catch Us If You Can

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
No further information has been provided for this title.
Published April 29th 2004 by Puffin Books

To ask other readers questions about Catch Us If You Can, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catch Us If You Can

Aik Chien 인첸
Jan 21, 2011 Aik Chien 인첸 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a (must-read) literature component for Form 5 students. Actually, I was quite excited to read this book, because it sounds special - a grandfather and his grandson on the run. I think the cover portrays the story quite well and it's really eye-catching.

In this story, Rory and his granda live together blissfully, even though sometimes there are troubles because of granda's worsening Alzheimer condition. Granda is a quirky, loveable character who is quite funny at times, while Rory is
Natshane
Jan 06, 2011 Natshane rated it liked it
This is actually a book that I have to read for school, so yeah, I was sort of forced to read it, but thank goodness it's funny!

The characters Granda and Rory reminds me of a close knit family I once read about (somehow I couldn't remember) and I'm impressed by the way Rory sacrificed and thought of just to 'elope' (Hahaha, just kidding) with granda (I laughed when he don't remember his name)...Overall, a goodread, a happy ending, and most importantly interesting! But truth to be told, I was so
Lolliepop
Dec 02, 2014 Lolliepop rated it really liked it
good, good, good
Najwa (najreads)
Jul 27, 2015 Najwa (najreads) rated it really liked it
initially i read this for literature. i never like what the teacher asked me to read for literature and my first impression to the book was, "this must be that boring old stories of boring old people".

but i read it anyway because it was for school and i need to do a report on it so yeah.

and guess what? it was unexpectedly good, i couldnt put it down, such a page turner and i finished it in like 6 hours or so.

lesson learned ; dont underestimate school books. they can be fun to read, like this o
Alya Atiera

I finished this book in like one day aha. I thought my teacher wanted to revise about it in class and yes, I didn't even read it yet. Not even a page. So I picked it up after my teacher told the class to read it because she wanted to discuss about it the next day.

It's a good story I guess with a very good moral values.

And oh, Granda is funny!

Louise Adams
Jul 06, 2012 Louise Adams rated it really liked it
Well, it all started when my English teacher held up a copy of this particular book in class in November last year... Her words were something along the line of "buy this book. If not, you can't do your literature study next year..."

So what did I did? Buy it off from a book store? Nope! I bought it from a senior who graduated! xD

Honestly, I hadn't really thought it'd be as interesting as I thought... Yea, my expectations then were real low...

But, for anyone who isn't 'forced' to read this book,
Haziqah Alias
Feb 04, 2014 Haziqah Alias rated it it was ok
The book is obviously something I had to read for school.
The book was okay I suppose. Granda was amusing but God, I hate MacPhail for sort of trolling with us about Granda's death.
I was expecting that Rory would help that crazy girl with whatever her problem was during the time he spent in that children's home (forgive my bad memory) but he did not. The girl was sort of just there, y'know? But I guess she acted as a motivation for Rory to run away with Granda. Still disappointed that it didn't
Joanne Hong
Nov 04, 2015 Joanne Hong rated it liked it
This book was okay. Not too thrilling as I expected it to be. Rory was a wonderfully sassy character, and so was Granda.

The problem that I had with the book was how bloody ignorant both Rory and Granda were. It was obvious from the start that there was something wrong with Granda, yet what do they both do? THEY RUN AWAY. I know, I know, orphanages and old folks' home can be pretty scary, but just THINK for a second as to WHY all of this happened in the first place.

Dude, if your Granda is incapab
Amir Aiman
Jan 09, 2015 Amir Aiman rated it really liked it
This book is a really good book. At first I didn't really quite like it so much because the main Granda character is so dumb. But the writer managed to get me hooked with Granda and Rory. The character development was quite fast and how Rory progresses during his run with his Granda was interesting to read. The way even supporting characters managed to leave an impact on how Rory and Granda progress to their final destination is epic. Overall it really is a good and quite short book
Mary
Feb 17, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
Had to read this for Form 5 literature. I'm glad I did though because this book is hilarious!! It's such a short and fun read but at the same time the relationship of Rory and his Granda touched my heart..
CekMoNSter
Sep 19, 2015 CekMoNSter rated it really liked it
A sweet story. A teen with his Granda running away from those who tried to part them.
Myrea07
Jul 16, 2015 Myrea07 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
It was okay.. Wasn't funny to me, I thought the jokes were dry. I didn't like Granda and I didn't like Rory either. I thought he made an unintelligent and ignorant decision to run away with his ill Granda. He should have known better that Granda should be taken care of in the hospital instead.

The ending was also not satisfying for me, we only get to see Jeff for like two seconds! 2 stars, just because I know it's really difficult to write a book and because I liked some of the side characters t
Suraya Nordin
Mar 22, 2013 Suraya Nordin rated it it was amazing
This story makes me laugh and cry at the same time. I consider this book is good because it could play with my feeling just like that. Granda's character was always make people laugh! The way he treated his grandson was a little bit rude but that's their style by the way. They both cared for each other. The saddest part is when I taught granda was dead but luckily he won't. I hate Rory's father but in the end I realise, everybody makes mistakes. So did he. But to forgive and forget is what we ca ...more
Maira
Jun 15, 2015 Maira rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, wishlist
I'm supposed to be reading it for school. And yes, I am not disappointed. In fact, it's not bad at all.
The book is about a grandfather and a grandson. The grandfather, Granda, is very old and the grandson, Rory, is the only one he can count on. So, something happens and eventually, Granda and Rory is going to be separated from each other. They opposed the idea. So, Rory and Granda escape together and they met different kinds of people that they wasn't aware existed in this world.

Siti
Feb 13, 2013 Siti rated it it was amazing
Quite hilarious haha.. and open up the sight of people regarding human right to be free.i like it where all those people willing to help rory and his old granda who's sick and stubborn to be with his grandchild. And rory's thought about all the people who help them..well he just a scared-child and how independent he was. I like the adventure they have and hope that i would have my own risk-adventure like them some day.
Ernie Amira
Mar 29, 2013 Ernie Amira rated it really liked it
for frank , dearest madam asked us to read this as it is the literature component for the SPM's victim . and i was forced to do so :P somehow , this novel is quite interesting . and hilarious indeed . to be honest , i would never spend my time reading this kind of english novel . just in case , i realize i cant answer the SPM if i dont read this T_T

*psst , ignore the english-pecah :p
Aween
Feb 20, 2013 Aween rated it liked it
Full of adventure. Plus the Rory and Granda's bonding is so strong that makes me wanna cry, i'm touched ! Couldn't believe that an ordinary boy would do something extraordinary just to make sure his Granda would be just fine and they stay together.

p/s : okay, I misss my Atuk hehe.
Matthew
Sep 20, 2013 Matthew rated it really liked it
Charming and entertaining, Catch Us If You Can's cliffhanger chapter endings hook the reader in and Rory and Granda's likability and hilarity fills you up with bubbles. The book does slightly make it childish and unrealistic at the end but CUIYC still charms.
Zulhaniff Salahuddin
Rory dengan Granda memang sekepala. Gabungan ideal antara seorang datuk dan cucunya. Walau apa pun yang terjadi, masing-masing degil dan berkeras mahu tetap bersama, tidak mahu berpisah. Walaupun wataknya bersifat lucu, kasih sayang ini memang sejati.
Camelia
Jan 09, 2014 Camelia rated it really liked it
3.8 / 5
Arieana
Feb 04, 2013 Arieana rated it liked it
it's about Rory's journey after he run away with his grandfather. A good story for student Form 5.
Jiaxin Lee
Apr 23, 2014 Jiaxin Lee rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own, 2013-reads
3.5/5

I love granda and also the best son ever, Rory!
Troy Lee
Troy Lee marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Ng King Wei
Ng King Wei rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Ruqaiyah
Ruqaiyah rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2016
Abitha Kittu
Abitha Kittu rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
Jessica Tay
Jessica Tay rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2016
Catch Us If You Can, by Catherine MacPhail 1 6 Apr 17, 2011 10:03PM
  • Matahari
  • Devil's Place
  • Tiga Kali Seminggu
  • Rindu Bau Pohon Tin (Travelog Tarbiah)
  • Secrets From The Dust
  • Salahudin Ayubi: Penakluk Jerusalem
  • Impiana II (Impiana,#2)
  • Afterlight (Last Light, #2)
  • The Railway Children
  • WWE Undertaker
  • Life is an Open Secret: You, Me and We
  • WWE John Cena
  • Trying Out (Cheerleaders, #1)
  • PECAH
  • Viking's Dawn (Viking Saga, #1)
  • Roald Dahl And His Chocolate Factory