Start by marking “The True Story of Stellina” as Want to Read:
The True Story of Stellina

The True Story of Stellina

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  118 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Stellina was a bird: “CHEEP.” A very little bird: “Cheep! cheep!”So begins critically acclaimed author Matteo Pericoli’s all-true story of how he and his wife, Holly, came to rescue and raise a little finch, Stellina, in the middle of New York City. When no zoo would take the abandoned bird, fallen from her nest onto a busy street, Holly took her home and gave her the best ...more
Published March 26th 2014 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published March 14th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The True Story of Stellina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The True Story of Stellina

This is the story of how the author's wife found a baby bird beneath a streetlight on a busy street in New York City. After waiting hours to see if the mother bird would return, Holly took the malnourished baby bird home with her and proceeded to nurse it back to health. She tried to find it a home at a zoo but they would not take the bird because it was just a common finch. So, Holly keeps the bird. And comes to love the bird. So does Matteo, when he comes into Holly's life. And, it seems, the ...more
Alyssa Becker
The True Story of Stellina; by: Matteo Pericoli; Copyright 2006; 29 pg.
*Gryphon Award 2007*

I truly did not enjoy this book. While I was reading I did not find the story intriguing nor interesting. Personally, the storyline was very dull and drug out. I could sum it up in one sentence: his wife brought the bird home and raised it. I think the book would have been better if the author would have exaggerated Stellina's love and how she showed it more.

People who may connect more to this book would b
I loved this picture book. There was more text than I usually like in a PB, but it had a fresh, quirky, charming voice. It had some repetition too (cheep, and now?) to keep kids following along with the longer text. And what a wonderful story, to boot!
one of my favorite picture books of all time.
Megan D. Neal
This is the story of a baby bird who falls out of its nest by a busy New York City street. When a passer-by, Holly, notices the baby bird, she waits a long time to see if the mother will come for it. When its mother doesn't come, Holly takes the little bird and gives it a home in her apartment, where it stayed the rest of it's life.

The blog Storied Cities reviewed this book a week or so ago, and due to my girls' on-going bird fascination, I ordered it from the library. They really enjoyed this b
This book was great. I loved the story as well as the art work. It was a very interesting book because it is a true story. This story showed that people can come to love their pets. This book can teach children to love and care for animals. I would recommend this book to second grade students to that they are able to understand why Stellina was living in a cage and apartment.
Ashlyn Phillips
I liked this short story a lot actually. I thought it was really a cute story and is very realistic, animals don't naturally warm up to us. We work for it. I liked how the author kept referring to his wife it showed a love and appreciation, even an awe for her abilities and character. I thought it was a touching little story.
I thought that this was a really cute book. I loved the illustrations and the wonderful color in them. The only problem I think you might have with reading this to little children is that they will want to rescue any little animal they find. But other than that it's a supper cute story!
I actually really liked this book! It was cute and creative. I liked the simple illustrations. It was cute story. It was cool to hear a true story. I personally love birds so I really enjoyed it. It was an easy read and interesting story.
This is a personal favorite. It's such a sweet and charming story, but I don't know if I would read it to kids because then they will want to take home "stray" baby birds . . . share at your own risk!
Brindizi Hamblin
This book was adorable. I'm not exactly sure why I liked it so much but it was so fun. The paintings in it were beautiful and the story was so realistic. Such a cute story and one I would definitely want to share with my future children.
Very cute story about friendship and loyalty and about how people can help animals rather than hurt them.
Nice illustrations, awkwardly written.
Apparently a lot of these children's books are going to be about animals. Were children's books always about animals when I was little? Probably. I did think animals were way better than humans. This story is...can I stop calling kids' books sweet? Nope...very sweet. It's about the life of a bird but it's also about how we can make an impact in the life of an animal and how in turn they make an even larger impact on us.
Angela Williams
Grades 1st-3rd

Pericoli uses large sized illustrations that relate to the text in this book. He also uses long sentences and repetition to tell his story. Children will enjoy listening to this story while relating it to something they have found and will also enjoy the sound effects.

Lesson Idea: Students can learn and discuss how to take care of nature.
A sweet short story about the bond between humans and their pets. In this case, the pet is a baby finch rescued from the streets of Manhattan after being abandoned by her mother.
A tender true story about a tiny finch. Very simple writing and beautiful artwork. Good for young readers. Sweet.
Short book, fun illutrations - great for 1st/2nd graders just getting into chapter books - sad-ish ending, though
Very gentle children's book, soothing pictures. The story is a little sad, but endearing.
Sweet story about a Manhattan woman who adopted a lil finch that was abandoned by its mother.
Beautiful pictures and a sweet true story of two people who adopt a baby bird
Touching true story of a bird who is adopted in the city.
Beautiful. Simple. Amazing. Made me cry!
Ffifah marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Aiyah added it
May 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The City Out My Window: 63 Views on New York Tommaso and the Missing Line Windows on the World: Fifty Writers, Fifty Views See the City: The Journey of Manhattan Unfurled London Unfurled