Start by marking “Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book” as Want to Read:
Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book

Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book

3.95  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,633 Ratings  ·  170 Reviews
There's never before been a book like Gallop! Employing a patented new technology called Scanimation, each page is a marvel that brings animals, along with one shining star, to life with art that literally moves. It's impossible not to flip the page, and flip it again, and again, and again.

A first book of motion for kids, it shows a horse in full gallop and a turtle swimm
Board book, 12 pages
Published November 22nd 2007 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Gallop!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gallop!

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonGuess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratneyBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Books for one-year-old children
29th out of 211 books — 186 voters
Good Night, Gorilla by Peggy RathmannThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pajama Time! by Sandra BoyntonI Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti-Shustak
Best Baby & Toddler books
25th out of 42 books — 16 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
Oct 12, 2014 karen rated it it was amazing
i dont care if we ever find an alternative source of fuel or cure epilepsy - as long as we use technology to make fun books like this. forever.
Kathryn
Aug 24, 2009 Kathryn rated it really liked it
So much fun!!! "Moving" pictures in a book!!! This is a new generation of pop-up/lift-the-flap type books and I look forward to more. Throughout the pages, cats leap, eagles fly, horses gallop all accompanied by simple but fun lyrical text. It's also durable, a welcome change from most pop-up type books.
Julia Brumfield
Nov 13, 2015 Julia Brumfield rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, book
Alright I fell in love with this book due to the scanamation so I won't even pretend. It is new and weird enough to catch the eye of adult or child although my young niece finally got tired of it.

The writing is simple and geared towards the toddler. On the facing page it asks the reader if they move a particular way geared towards the animal and then on the opposite gives the moving picture along with some silly "descriptive words" if you can call it that.

If a child favors this book then it wi
Mahrya
Oct 04, 2008 Mahrya rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenilia
Seder, Rufus Butler, Gallop!, Workman Publications, 2007, 12 pgs, scanimation board book.

Description: Using simple illustrations of animals overlaid with a sheet of striped acetate, Seder gives the animals an illusion of movement. Children are asked if they can move like the animals.

Review: Infants and toddlers (and even adults) will delight in the way that the animals seem to move across the page in this book. Additionally, Gallop! encourages children to move around and mimic the movements on
Tattered Cover Book Store
Sep 25, 2008 Tattered Cover Book Store added it
Recommended to Tattered Cover by: Liz, Jackie
I LOVE this book--I've been known to spend excessive amounts of time flipping through it over and over again! It was last year's holiday gift to all the tots in my life.

Jackie

Liz says:

Everyone that sees this book is amazed. Everyone from 2 years to 80 will say, "WOW, how'd they do that"? Well...

What is Scanimation?
How it works (from wikipedia.com)

A special high-resolution (around 800 lines) monochrome camera films high-contrast artwork. The image is then displayed on a high-resolution screen. Un
Annette
May 06, 2011 Annette rated it liked it
Shelves: children-1-3
My 2-year-old really likes the moving pictures in this book. The text is nothing to write home about, but it's obviously not the point of the thing. We picked it up at a library book sale and it was a bit torn up: thankfully with a little care the pages can be repaired without destroying the movement of the images. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but then again I won't pay full price for practically anything. :)
Alyssa
Feb 24, 2015 Alyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: animal-books
I really enjoyed this book! I think that it is a great read for younger children like when children are at the preschool age and they are just beginning to be exposed to letters and reading. The pictures are very cool and I like the fact that they are different and more interactive then a lot of the books out in the world. I think that these pictures will keep the attention of younger children longer because there is movement and they can even learn how to make the animal move. I also think that ...more
Kristen
May 20, 2009 Kristen rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kristen by: Laurie
Shelves: baby
I used to love the "magic pictures" book I had when I was little. These Scanimation books are so neat, and O really likes it. The only drawback is that the book itself isn't very durable for the very young.
Linda
Mar 19, 2015 Linda rated it it was amazing
I believe this is a wonderful introduction to animals in action. The book represents how certain animals move. It is simple and direct and very addicting to the eye and mind. The author used the art of scanimation to present images of animals in motion. Scanimation was used long before DVD and all motion picture arts. Sc animation is when a series of pages flip continually to give the impression to the reader that the animals is actually in motion. This book is simple and delightful. It brings a ...more
Jackie
May 24, 2008 Jackie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who was ever a child
I gave this book to just about everyone this past Christmas. I found it impossible to stop playing with--it's so unique and clever!
Jack Kirby and the X-man
X-man is absolutely obsessed with any moving pictures - he'll stare at any TV that is around for as long as you will let him. He is well on his way to having the same obsession with this book - he just loves the moving pictures.

He's currently too young to work lift-the-flap books, but he can happily turn the page of a book to make the pictures move. He would currently destroy a pop-up book in seconds - but this is a much more robust design.

I agree with other reviewers - 5 stars for the scanimat
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Jan 03, 2015 Erin Reilly-Sanders rated it it was amazing
Shelves: daughter-read, baby
This is a super smart idea and considerably well constructed. I love watching the animals move as the pages open and close. The art itself is realistic in black and white and not particularly interesting in itself. However, the graphic design adds a good amount of color and excitement with jumbled, colored text and borders. The narrative is short, rollicking with some rhyme and includes a sweetly inspirational message.
Ariel
Feb 25, 2014 Ariel rated it liked it
Shelves: february
This book was probably more of a toddler's book. It doesn't really have a story line but its fun, promotes active play and motor development. So if your looking for a cute story this probably won't be for you. Another reason I think this is more of a toddler book is because of the moving pictures. They are fun and would mesmerize a toddler. Plus it is a board book so it can withstand a toddler.
Ashley Sites
Nov 04, 2014 Ashley Sites rated it liked it
Such a fun little book. I loved watching the illustrations move as I flipped each page. The story on the hand wasn't anything special. I think that this book is intended for a young age group for children because the sentences are so simple. The moving pictures of each animal is by far the best thing about this book.
Apr 06, 2015 Sarah added it
Shelves: engineered-books
Publication Date: November 22nd 2007

Annotation: Readers see how different animals move across the page.

Themes: Movement

Ways to Use: Students can read this book while completing a lesson about different types of animation. Students learn how scanimation is created and make their own scanimation image.
Brianna
Nov 04, 2014 Brianna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-lit
This book was seriously the most impressive book I have ever seen. When the pages turned, it showed the animals moving. The author made the animals movements extremely life like. Overall, for a children's picture book this one was very impressive and I think children and adults should read it.
Nicole Martin
Feb 28, 2014 Nicole Martin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
This is such a fascinating book. I will admit that the words of the last page are a little cheesy, but the book itself if fabulous. When I first read it, my first thought was that I have to get this book for my children because it is such a fascinating and entertaining book. I loved it!
Jennica Crockett
Feb 27, 2014 Jennica Crockett rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
The pictures in this book is the reason why I like it. The pictures move according to how fast the pages are being turned which is great for kids to experiment with. The story is simple and it is mostly for toddlers but the pictures make it fun for any age.
Sydney
Feb 21, 2014 Sydney rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
What a fun book!!! I really liked the way the pictures moved and really captured the movement of the animal. While it is still instructional for children it is still fun to look at. I found myself just opening and closing all of the pages multiple times.
Merinda
Feb 26, 2015 Merinda rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animal-books
This is seriously one of the coolest books I've ever seen! The animations move as you turn the pages, and it is absolutely fascinating! This book is all about the actions of moving animals, and the art style was able to capture that perfectly.
Ala'a

MAGIC, ART AND SCANIMATION
Tessa Herrmann
Mar 04, 2014 Tessa Herrmann rated it it was amazing
Shelves: february
This book was just so cool because you got to see a picture move in the book. I think kids would really like this because of the pictures. If it didn't have the pictures then this book would not be rated so high.
Amanda Lynch
Feb 09, 2015 Amanda Lynch rated it liked it
Shelves: nathan
Okay, so all of my kids have loved this book, but Nathan especially. But I don't like it. The scanimatronic stuff is cool, but the stuff I have to read out loud makes me feel silly, and that takes a lot.
Samantha Brown
Nov 06, 2014 Samantha Brown rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit, love
This book is so much fun! It amazes me how they get the pictures to move. I think that this would be a great book for the classroom because it can show kids that reading can be fun.
Sarah Sammis
Jan 18, 2011 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2010
Gallop is the first of Rufus Butler Seder's "scanimation" books. Each page features a fluid black and white animation of an animal in motion. The movement is fluid and beautiful and as captivating as the old Muybridge motion study films.

Not to be confused with the scanimate analog video animation system of the 1960s-1980s, Seder's images work more like the kinetoscopes and zoetropes of the turn of the last century. Raquel Jaramilla discovered Seder's artwork at a trade show where he was displayi
Chris
Feb 14, 2015 Chris rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
Four or five stars for the "scanimation," which is pretty cool; one or two stars for the text, which is pretty lame. Fortunately, my two-year-old doesn't care.
Astrid
Aug 18, 2008 Astrid rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
So cool!!! Seemingly old "technology" that I can't seem to figure out. Open a page and a horse is galloping or a monkey flying through the jungle on a rope, or ...!! I love pop-up books like Robert Sabuda's and this is similar in its' creativity and its presentation. There is motion and it is much more durable for little ones hands!! It can be hard to see the image unless you hold the book at the right angle but that's a minor comment.

If you have children, love children's books and/or have child
Rachel
Feb 21, 2014 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: february
This book is very innovative including picture that move. Children could learn how to make this kind of a motion picture on their own.
Malea Potter
Feb 21, 2014 Malea Potter rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
This book would be fascinating to kids! If you have never read a book that has "moving" pictures, then you should definitely remedy that.
April
Feb 24, 2015 April rated it it was amazing
Great book to read to young students. The pictures move and the student can have fun copying the actions of the animals.
  • Tails
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • Hug
  • Hey! Wake Up!
  • My Very First Book Of Words
  • Open the Barn Door (A Chunky Book(R))
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • All in a Day
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • Big Little
  • There Are Cats in This Book
  • First 100 Words
  • On the Day You Were Born
  • Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition
  • Whose Nose and Toes?
  • Ten Little Ladybugs
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?
  • On the Night You Were Born