Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book

Gallop!: A Scanimation Picture Book

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  2,830 ratings  ·  155 reviews
There's never before been a book like Gallop! Employing a patented new technology called Scanimation, each page is a marvel that brings animals, along with one shining star, to life with art that literally moves. It's impossible not to flip the page, and flip it again, and again, and again.

A first book of motion for kids, it shows a horse in full gallop and a turtle swimm...more
Board book, 12 pages
Published November 22nd 2007 by Workman Publishing Company

To ask other readers questions about Gallop!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gallop!

Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise BrownThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleMoo, Baa, La La La! by Sandra BoyntonGuess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratneyBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Books for one-year-old children
20th out of 169 books — 125 voters
The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.Pajama Time! by Sandra BoyntonGood Night, Gorilla by Peggy RathmannI Love You Through and Through by Bernadette Rossetti-Shustak
Best Baby & Toddler books
21st out of 38 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

karen
i dont care if we ever find an alternative source of fuel or cure epilepsy - as long as we use technology to make fun books like this. forever.
Kathryn
So much fun!!! "Moving" pictures in a book!!! This is a new generation of pop-up/lift-the-flap type books and I look forward to more. Throughout the pages, cats leap, eagles fly, horses gallop all accompanied by simple but fun lyrical text. It's also durable, a welcome change from most pop-up type books.
Mahrya
Seder, Rufus Butler, Gallop!, Workman Publications, 2007, 12 pgs, scanimation board book.

Description: Using simple illustrations of animals overlaid with a sheet of striped acetate, Seder gives the animals an illusion of movement. Children are asked if they can move like the animals.

Review: Infants and toddlers (and even adults) will delight in the way that the animals seem to move across the page in this book. Additionally, Gallop! encourages children to move around and mimic the movements on...more
Tattered Cover Book Store
Sep 25, 2008 Tattered Cover Book Store added it
Recommended to Tattered Cover by: Liz, Jackie
I LOVE this book--I've been known to spend excessive amounts of time flipping through it over and over again! It was last year's holiday gift to all the tots in my life.

Jackie

Liz says:

Everyone that sees this book is amazed. Everyone from 2 years to 80 will say, "WOW, how'd they do that"? Well...

What is Scanimation?
How it works (from wikipedia.com)

A special high-resolution (around 800 lines) monochrome camera films high-contrast artwork. The image is then displayed on a high-resolution screen. Un...more
Annette
My 2-year-old really likes the moving pictures in this book. The text is nothing to write home about, but it's obviously not the point of the thing. We picked it up at a library book sale and it was a bit torn up: thankfully with a little care the pages can be repaired without destroying the movement of the images. I wouldn't pay full price for it, but then again I won't pay full price for practically anything. :)
Kristen
May 20, 2009 Kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kristen by: Laurie
Shelves: baby
I used to love the "magic pictures" book I had when I was little. These Scanimation books are so neat, and O really likes it. The only drawback is that the book itself isn't very durable for the very young.
Jackie
May 24, 2008 Jackie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who was ever a child
I gave this book to just about everyone this past Christmas. I found it impossible to stop playing with--it's so unique and clever!
Jack Kirby and the X-man
X-man is absolutely obsessed with any moving pictures - he'll stare at any TV that is around for as long as you will let him. He is well on his way to having the same obsession with this book - he just loves the moving pictures.

He's currently too young to work lift-the-flap books, but he can happily turn the page of a book to make the pictures move. He would currently destroy a pop-up book in seconds - but this is a much more robust design.

I agree with other reviewers - 5 stars for the scanimat...more
Ariel
This book was probably more of a toddler's book. It doesn't really have a story line but its fun, promotes active play and motor development. So if your looking for a cute story this probably won't be for you. Another reason I think this is more of a toddler book is because of the moving pictures. They are fun and would mesmerize a toddler. Plus it is a board book so it can withstand a toddler.
Nicole Martin
This is such a fascinating book. I will admit that the words of the last page are a little cheesy, but the book itself if fabulous. When I first read it, my first thought was that I have to get this book for my children because it is such a fascinating and entertaining book. I loved it!
Jennica Crockett
The pictures in this book is the reason why I like it. The pictures move according to how fast the pages are being turned which is great for kids to experiment with. The story is simple and it is mostly for toddlers but the pictures make it fun for any age.
Sydney
What a fun book!!! I really liked the way the pictures moved and really captured the movement of the animal. While it is still instructional for children it is still fun to look at. I found myself just opening and closing all of the pages multiple times.
Tessa Herrmann
This book was just so cool because you got to see a picture move in the book. I think kids would really like this because of the pictures. If it didn't have the pictures then this book would not be rated so high.
Sarah Sammis
Gallop is the first of Rufus Butler Seder's "scanimation" books. Each page features a fluid black and white animation of an animal in motion. The movement is fluid and beautiful and as captivating as the old Muybridge motion study films.

Not to be confused with the scanimate analog video animation system of the 1960s-1980s, Seder's images work more like the kinetoscopes and zoetropes of the turn of the last century. Raquel Jaramilla discovered Seder's artwork at a trade show where he was displayi...more
Astrid
So cool!!! Seemingly old "technology" that I can't seem to figure out. Open a page and a horse is galloping or a monkey flying through the jungle on a rope, or ...!! I love pop-up books like Robert Sabuda's and this is similar in its' creativity and its presentation. There is motion and it is much more durable for little ones hands!! It can be hard to see the image unless you hold the book at the right angle but that's a minor comment.

If you have children, love children's books and/or have child...more
Rachel
This book is very innovative including picture that move. Children could learn how to make this kind of a motion picture on their own.
Malea Potter
This book would be fascinating to kids! If you have never read a book that has "moving" pictures, then you should definitely remedy that.
Amanda
These are amazing books. The scanimation which makes the animals seem to move is very fun and the stories are simple and playful, which my toddler enjoys. This one was damaged from the library so several of the first pictures didn't move, which was a big bummer, but it still was fun. Waddle! is a much better one and my daughter definitely looks forward *sometimes not so patiently!* for the ending to that one. One thing I don't understand is why the movement forward only happens when you take the...more
Emily Galicia
I loved this book. This book has motion picture for every image of the book. I feel like everyone that sees this book is amazed. I would recommend this book to ages from 2 years to 8.
babyhippoface
Holy cow, this book is awesome. It's similar to pop-up books, in that when you turn the page, something moves. But it's completely different as well, since the movement goes on behind a protective film and, thus, there's nothing for kids to grab, pinch, pull, turn, or just go ahead and rip right off of the page as soon as they open the book.

You just have to see it for yourself to get it. Every person I show this to says, "Oh!" "Wow!" "How cool!" or some other equally inspired exclamation. My Art...more
Carriek
With scanimation, animals move as the reader turns the page. The animals’movements are described in large, colorful print; and the vivid verbs invite readers to pretend they’re animals that can spring, soar, and more. Gallop! is a unique book that invites readers to fan pages back and forth to see animals move. I would recommend this book for one-on-one or independent reading. The pages are fun to interact with, and children can learn a lot about the behaviors of different animals as they read....more
Jacob Pribnow
It shows mini-movies if you move the pages.
Gracee
Dec 05, 2008 Gracee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kids 9 months to 99 years
I thought everything imaginable had been done in kids books. UNTIL I saw this one! Amazing, stimulating, and no batteries, no pens that talk, no buttons to push, no annoying bells and whistles. Now, granted, it's a childrens book, and I did read it standing in the book store...but it took me at least 20 min of turning the pages slowly...then turning them back again..re turning... looking behind..trying to figure out how these moving illustrations worked. Fascinating! I cannot imagine any kid not...more
Schuyler
Every page of this book is fun to turn. The book covers a good range of how different animals move, and the pictures move with the story. The book feels unique and well designed.

If you read this book with children, they might ask you how the pictures move. After reading this book, you might be interested enough to find out how it was done for yourself.
Erin
Loved the art work of this book. Very interactive for kids!!
Ai
May 14, 2009 Ai added it
Recommends it for: Friend and Family
Recommended to Ai by: Ms.Hoffman
When Ms.Hoffman let me rent this book to read it to my brother. When i read to myu brother he started to laugh about how i try to act like those animals in the book. Everyday he started to say "Book,book" and i know what it mean, he try to say that he want me to read to him again. When I read he learn how to speak. He know how to say " Hos,rols,doga,at,eg,chim" and that mean, horse,roster,dog,cat,eagle, and chimp. I love this book this is a awesome book.=:)
jacky
I came across this at the bookstore. The text of this book wasn't amazing. It was just questions asking if kids could imitate certain actions of animals, like gallop. That would probably be fun to play with a child. What made this book super cool though was the pictures. Each page had a moving picture. I couldn't figure out how it worked! The title above says it is "scanimation;" I don't know how that works, but it was so cool to watch those pictures move!
Mohammed
When my baby cousin and I read this book, he loved how the pages started running. Whenever we saw an animal and I said to him, "What is this?", he told me. He knew every animal and he is only 3 years old. But when I got to his favorite anima, a cat, he went crazy. He loved how it ran. He tried to do it. He got on the floor and tried to sprint. He was going slow. When he first saw the book he loved it and at the end, he loved it even more.
Becky H.
Jul 03, 2008 Becky H. rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: young readers
You've got to see it to believe it. This book is so cool. The pictures really move. The horse gallops, the monkey swings from the vines, and butterfly flap its wings. Simple text, this book is good for younger children or beginner readers. Children and adults will be amazed by the pictures and you will have to flip through it over again. FUN!!! I discovered this while at a library conference and ordered it as soon as I came home.
Stephanie
Well, to start off, Miss Hoffman let me borrow this book, and I read it to both of my nieces in the hospital. They both really enjoyed it. My nieces, Heaven and Destinee, kept asking, "How you do that?" "How you do that?" Also, I let them read it and helped them pronounce words they didn't know. Finally before I left, they asked me to read it again. So, I read it, and they said, "Titi, that's an awesome book!"
  • Tails
  • Counting Kisses: A Kiss & Read Book
  • Peek-a-Who?
  • First 100 Words
  • Hug
  • Ten Little Ladybugs
  • What Makes a Rainbow? Mini edition (A Magic Ribbon Book)
  • Hey! Wake Up!
  • Baby Bear, Baby Bear, What Do You See?
  • No No Yes Yes
  • Someday
  • Toes, Ears, & Nose!: A Lift-the-Flap Book
  • On the Night You Were Born
  • That's Not My Dinosaur
  • Wheels on the Bus
  • The Pigeon Has Feelings, Too!
  • Charley Harper ABCs: Chunky Edition
  • On the Day You Were Born
Waddle! Swing!: A Scanimation Picture Book Star Wars: A Scanimation Book: Iconic Scenes from a Galaxy Far, Far Away... Wizard of Oz Scanimation: 10 Classic Scenes from Over the Rainbow Santa!: A Scanimation Picture Book