Start by marking “What Bloody Man Is That?” as Want to Read:
What Bloody Man Is That?

What Bloody Man Is That? (Charles Paris #12)

3.63  ·  Rating Details  ·  115 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
In 'What Bloody Man Is That?', Charles Paris is on his way up again, career-wise. No longer "resting" and no longer just a corpse in a cupboard, he blossoms in the play dreaded by superstitious theatre folk, who will not even speak its name - "the Scottish play" -'Macbeth'. It's only in the provincial rep, but you have to start (or re-start) somewhere. And his agent has pr ...more
Published August 1st 1987 by Holiday House

To ask other readers questions about What Bloody Man Is That?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Bloody Man Is That?

Christie
Jul 01, 2016 Christie rated it liked it
I would have given more stars if a horrible "joke" about rape was not countenanced as acceptable within the text. The depiction of the theatre is so accurate, even based on my limited experience (high school musical theatre, with me playing 3 parts, altering costumes, doing the choreography, setting the stage, greeting the guests, serving the food, cleaning up, and finally getting to eat and fall over at the end of it all--after the tables were all put away of course!). I really enjoyed the book ...more
E
Jul 26, 2009 E rated it liked it
More interesting as a back-stage look at a production of Macbeth than as a mystery novel, but the characters are fun. A good beach read.
Nan Silvernail
Dec 06, 2011 Nan Silvernail rated it liked it
Charles Paris is cast in "The Scottish Play" as thespians call Shakespeare's "MACBETH." In fact, he is cast five-fold, since he is "doubling" in five different small parts. Then the company's rather disagreeable Duncan is found dead in a locked theatre mystery. Locked - with Charles Paris in it, too! Can he solve the mystery before the police take him in for some questions he can't really answer easily or well?

Spoilers Below

Charles Paris, after being trapped passed-out drunk in a locked theatre
Neale
Jun 11, 2013 Neale rated it it was ok
I would very much like to love Simon Brett’s theatrical whodunits: I am not a reader of mysteries, but I like the idea of them in principle, and I love novels of theatre life. Brett’s books, with their amusing portrayal of an alcoholic jobbing actor and amateur detective, set in the lovingly and cynically detailed lower reaches of the English theatrical world, seem immensely appealing in prospect. Every time I see one I am tempted to pick it up and read it, hoping that it might be better than I ...more
Jon Anderson
Jun 24, 2014 Jon Anderson rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Another Charles Paris mystery, this time taking place during a production of Macbeth. Nice cozy, quick read, usual suspects and ending.
Lisa
Jan 10, 2015 Lisa rated it liked it
another nice mystery from Simon Brett
Sandy Voegtlen
Nov 29, 2014 Sandy Voegtlen rated it liked it
It wasn't a bad book, but I didn't like the protagonist.
Jenine
Dec 12, 2012 Jenine rated it liked it
I like these books for the clear portrayal of Charles Paris as a schmuck. Often a likable schmuck but always weak. This book includes a weekend bender which led to a Monday morning rehearsal with vicious hangover. This was followed by hair of the dog at midday and then drinking til closing time that night. I almost started drinking water myself to try and offset the dehydration. My least favorite part of these books is consistently the psychology of the killer.
Jazz
Series character, Charles Paris, a hard-up, but likable, alcoholic actor, accepts a part -- turning into umpteen parts -- in a small production of Hamlet. (I could see Hugh Grant playing Paris.) Of course, murder happens, this time to one of the lead actors. Simon Brett's writing is always amusing and while this may not be a great clued mystery, it is a fun cosy, and a humorous look backstage with the company involved. Actually 3.5 stars.
Jane Croucher
Feb 17, 2015 Jane Croucher rated it really liked it
I love Simon Brett novels and plays. The radio adaptation of the Charles Paris novels, with Bill Nighy, are sublime. This book was up to the usual, pleasantly formulaic, crime-busting actor/drunk/investigator standards.
Aidan
Sep 10, 2011 Aidan rated it really liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Another entry in the Charles Paris series of mysteries. This one sees the often out-of-work actor treading the boards in a regional theater run of Macbeth in which Paris ends up playing a slew of roles. The mystery itself is fairly straightforward and occurs fairly late in the book's short page count. Still things move along at a pleasant click and Brett's prose is entertaining and packed with chuckles.
Courtney
Jun 12, 2009 Courtney rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-series
Fun to know all the Macbeth references, but as a mystery...meh.
Helen
Mar 31, 2011 Helen rated it it was amazing
good plot, characters, hysterical ending, LOL
Rory Staines
Rory Staines is currently reading it
Jul 28, 2016
BettieBoyd Sullivan
BettieBoyd Sullivan rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2016
Cindy Shingledecker
Cindy Shingledecker rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Tammy Goldthorpe
Tammy Goldthorpe marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2016
Michella
Michella marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Cierra Wilfong
Cierra Wilfong marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Luree
Luree rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2016
Darcy
Darcy added it
Jun 06, 2016
Bev Wire
Bev Wire rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Dogzilla
Dogzilla rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2016
Rumal
Rumal rated it really liked it
May 12, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Malcolm
Malcolm marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Susan Gasson
Susan Gasson rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Kevin Warner
Kevin Warner rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Devil in Velvet (1994 Ed)
  • The Labyrinth Makers
  • The Rose of Tibet
  • Bertie And The Tinman (Albert Edward, Prince of Wales, #1)
  • Green for Danger
  • Last Seen Wearing
  • Hamlet, Revenge! (Sir John Appleby, #2)
  • The Four Just Men  (The Four Just Men #1)
  • Malice Aforethought
  • The Beast Must Die (Nigel Strangeways, #4)
  • Smallbone Deceased (Inspector Hazelrigg, #4)
  • Under World (Dalziel & Pascoe, #10)
  • The Quiller Memorandum
  • The Poisoned Chocolates Case (Roger Sheringham Cases, #5)
  • Nation Maker: Sir John A. Macdonald: His Life, Our Times
  • Dead Men Don't Ski
  • The Devil's Home on Leave
  • Murder Down Under
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...

Charles Paris (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Cast, in Order of Disappearance (Charles Paris, #1)
  • So Much Blood
  • Star Trap
  • An Amateur Corpse (Charles Paris, #4)
  • A Comedian Dies (Charles Paris, #5)
  • The Dead Side of the Mike (Charles Paris, #6)
  • Situation Tragedy