Start by marking “Mercy Like Sunlight” as Want to Read:
Mercy Like Sunlight

Mercy Like Sunlight

Who Will Set Her Free from the Darkness Inside?

Mary Margaret Delaney hides in the shadows, her arms scarred, her heart wounded by grief and weighed down with regret. Adrift on the streets of Chicago, she is surrounded by strangers and hounded by demons, both real and imagined. Her neighbors in Lincoln Park call her Mad Mary—until a fearless young pastor dares to call Mar
Published March 18th 2014 by WaterBrook Press (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Mercy Like Sunlight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy Like Sunlight

Liz Terek
Apr 26, 2014 Liz Terek rated it it was amazing
Mercy Like Sunlight: Liz Curtis Higgs
I’ve read a number of works from Liz Curtis Higgs & she never fails to impress me. ‘Mercy Like Sunlight’ is no exception. Truly, it is one of her finest works.
Jake Stauros is the pastor of Calvary Fellowship. Calvary is a varied bunch, not just an ordinary congregation. Jake’s goal is to make a difference in this community for Christ. While he thought he knew just about everyone, he was taken aback when he met Mary Margaret Delaney.
Dubbed ‘Mad Mary’, s
Edythe Hamilton
May 18, 2014 Edythe Hamilton rated it really liked it
Jake Stauros, Pastor of Calvary Fellowship, “A church full of misfits,” one visitor grunted on his way out the door.”

Mary Margaret Delaney, or ‘Mad Mary’ as the neighborhood refers to her, is in a deep state of depression, almost maddening. In addition to depression, she is a cutter. Mary was married and had a daughter, but they are no longer in her life.

Jake and Mary meet one day when Mary literally runs into him on the sidewalk, after stealing a toy for her cat from the toy store. Jake gives
Crystal Scott
Apr 26, 2014 Crystal Scott rated it it was amazing
I love reading Liz Curtis Higgs books and I really enjoyed seeing her last year at Women of Faith. She is on fire for God and it shows in her books and the way she speaks. When I seen she was coming out with a new book, a novella to be specific, I couldn’t wait to read it.

Mercy Like Sunlight is a story about a woman, who lives in a old home, she has scars on her arms from where she cuts herself, and has a wounded heart, filled with grief and regret. She feels like no one cares, no one wants her
Susie
Mar 29, 2014 Susie rated it it was amazing
Liz Curtis Higgs has a remarkable way of changing the setting of biblical stories and in doing so, opening my eyes to see Scripture in a new light, with shadowy things seeming to come into view. We seem to go "behind the scenes" and get a glimpse into the thoughts of characters and the reactions of those around them. I come away with a fresh appreciation for those whose stories are in Scripture, and am always challenged to look at myself and those around me with mercy and grace and an awesome ...more
Tima
May 16, 2014 Tima rated it it was ok
Mary wanders the streets of Chicago in a fog. Voices tell her she's made too many mistakes to be well again. But a young pastor sees something worth saving in her. Pastor Jake sets out with the help of his mother and a few church members to bring Mary back to God.

The author used the story of Mary Magdalene as inspiration for this novella. The story was well written, and still followed the lines of the Biblical story. The characters were unique and interesting. The story of redeeming love was we
Melissa
Aug 02, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it

What a beautiful story and a quick one too.

Liz has written a lovely story about Jesus’s amazing grace and mercy. This book made me hungry for more of my Savior, those types of books are few and far between. This book also opened my eyes to how many people I can judge for outward appearance and never give thought to what might be going on inside of them.

Mercy Light Sunlight starts as a very sad story but soon Mary is surrounded by hope and by Jake who won’t let her just slip by. Soon many people
Tina
Jul 26, 2016 Tina rated it it was amazing
I read this book in March, just in time to prepare for the Easter season. I loved it. I've never read a novel by Liz Curtis Higgs that I didn't like, but this one was different in that it was contemporary. I was also curious to see how she would tell the Mary Magdalene story in a contemporary setting, so I wasn't sure what to expect except that it was a Liz book and I love her. Well, the book was a touching and heart-felt story that touched me deeply. The writing was beautiful and the story's ...more
Vik Arch
Apr 27, 2014 Vik Arch rated it it was amazing
Mercy Like Sunlight is a story of hope. The love of God and His mercy is so visible in the life of Jake Stauros, when he stumbled upon Mary Margaret Delaney. He brought her hope and helped her to know more about God. He lived a life of compassion until one day which changed his life from earthly to eternal.

It had a surprising climax, leaving me to wish a better ending for Jake. At the last page I understood Liz Curtis Higgs wrote the best ending this story could ever had.

*I received this book fo
Joy
May 02, 2014 Joy rated it it was amazing
Tortured by demons of guilt & grief ever since a disastrous event Mary Delaney aka Mad Mary is in the depths of despair has no hope left. What a terrible condition to be in! She meets Pastor Jake and eventually accepts his help. What we get is a beautiful modern day retelling of Mary Magdalene & Jesus setting her free! Liz Curtis Higgs writes the most touching stories, this one is no exception.

The characters are wonderful, so real. The perfect story during this Easter season! 5 stars!

I
Kay
Jun 22, 2014 Kay rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful story!

I devoured this story with tears streaming down my face. Such a wonderful telling of the Lord's love for each of us. Liz Curtis Higgs has an amazing gift for touching the reader's heart with her stories. Many thanks to the author for sharing her gift for story-telling.
Alison Wier
May 08, 2016 Alison Wier rated it it was amazing
Well done, Liz!

I love the way Liz can take the story of a person from Biblical times and write it with a more modern-day person as the main character, still in keeping with the main facts of the original story. Her writing is not only entertaining and engaging, it makes one look at the original story in a whole new way.
Louann
Jun 01, 2014 Louann rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All women
This was an excellent, well-written book that I picked up and read in two evenings. I love how Liz Curtis Higgs weaves her stories and how this one took a Biblical story and gave it a modern spin. You will not be disappointed!
Kim Visconti
May 26, 2014 Kim Visconti rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. What a fantastic story of a transformed life and the love of the Father in anothers life... Highly recommend it !!
Rhonda
Rhonda rated it really liked it
May 20, 2014
Dianna
Dianna rated it really liked it
Nov 05, 2015
Sandi Harris
Sandi Harris rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2016
Sven
Sven rated it liked it
Apr 07, 2014
Rhea
Rhea rated it it was amazing
Mar 08, 2016
Misty
Misty rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Mar 23, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it
Perfect read as we approach Easter
Christa
Christa rated it really liked it
May 24, 2014
Candie Maupin
Candie Maupin rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2015
Valerie Teeling
Valerie Teeling rated it it was amazing
Mar 22, 2014
Heidi
Heidi rated it liked it
Mar 22, 2014
Brooke Barenfanger
Brooke Barenfanger rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2014
Susan Feaster
Susan Feaster rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2014
Lyndsie
Lyndsie rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2014
Crystal Case
Crystal Case rated it really liked it
Jun 13, 2014
Caroline Iverson
Caroline Iverson rated it it was amazing
Aug 11, 2016
Eden Carney
Eden Carney rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Former Bad Girl, grateful for the grace God offers. Happy wife of Bill, one of the Good Guys. Proud mom of two grown-up kids with tender hearts. Lame housekeeper. Marginal cook. Pitiful gardener. Stuff I love? Encouraging my sisters in Christ—across the page, from the platform, online, in person. Unpacking Scripture. Traveling wherever God leads. Listening to his heart. Leaning into his embrace.
More about Liz Curtis Higgs...