Start by marking “A Dog Called Grk (Grk, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Dog Called Grk (Grk, #1)

A Dog Called Grk (Grk #1)

When Tim is followed home by a dog on the street, he's determined to find out who the friendly stray belongs to. But with a little investigating, Tim discovers that Grk's owners don't live in his town, or even in his country. Max and Natascha Raffifi, Grk's owners, have been kidnapped with their ambassador parents by the evil Colonel Zinfandel and taken to a prison in East ...more
Published June 19th 2012 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Dog Called Grk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dog Called Grk

Conan Tigard
Nov 13, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
A Dog Called Grk is a fun book that can be enjoyed by readers of all ages. I liked that Tim was being tracked down by Major Raki, who is a pretty bad dude, and didn't even know it. The story is face-paced and well-written. The bad guys are really bad and Tim and Grk are wonderful characters.

Could Tim really get away with some of the things he did? Well, no. But this is a work of fiction and I like to let my imagination run wild. And I liked that he had two rescue two other children. After all, k
Anne
Sep 13, 2008 Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: children
I guess you could call this a "plucky child" book for our times. Sort of like Eva Ibbotson without the charm. Tim, a neglected only child of middle class parents, comes into possession of a very nondescript dog. It turns out that Grk actually belongs to the daughter of the ambassador of Stanislavia. When Tim learns that Natascha has been hijacked back to Stanislavia and imprisones, he makes the unusual decision to return Grk to her. Armed with his father's credit card, he starts on an epic quest ...more
Andy
May 13, 2009 Andy rated it it was ok
Fine, unremarkable book. There were passages that were interestingly written/had a unique spin, but I never cared very much about the characters or felt any kind of excitement.
Ben
Jan 28, 2016 Ben rated it it was amazing
I loved the book some things I was just like huh??? Because some British things didn't make sense to my American knowledge
Jolie
I'm reading this aloud with Sarah and Jake right now--so far, it's a good read-aloud for both of them, and the chapters are nice and quick, which is good since Jake tends to fall asleep quickly at bedtime. Hopefully it will be one that we all enjoy, as there are several more in this series. Oddly enough, I feel like one of the first people in the world to read this book--there was only one review on Amazon, and only one rating here on Goodreads. Hmm. I'll let you know if we discovered a gem, or ...more
Sandy
A Dog Called Grk is the story of 12-year-old Timothy Malt, whose life consists of fairly normal activities like going to school and playing computer games. One day Tim stumbles upon a small black and white dog called Grk who doesn't seem to have a home to go to and is in need of something to eat. A bit of investigation shows that Grk was owned by a girl named Natascha Raffifi, the daughter of the former ambassador from the country of Stanislavia who has recently been forced to return to his home ...more
Crystal
Oct 09, 2013 Crystal rated it did not like it
Shelves: children
Read this to my son when he was sick. From the cover it looked like it was going to be a cute story about a boy and his dog. Boy was the cover deceiving is was definitely not a “cute” story. I had to do a lot of editing. The book is full of violence that is not appropriate for a children’s book.
1) parents are killed by the dictator's henchman (not described, but told after the fact).
2) a colonel breaks a soldier's nose
3) people threatening to shoot kids
4) a car crash that leaves a henchman dead
Collin D
Sep 01, 2015 Collin D rated it really liked it
In this book A Dog Called Grk, the main character and Grk the dog go on an amazing adventure to find Grk's real owners. It kept me reading because it made me feel how I feel with my dog. I could really relate to the book for that reason. I would recomend this book to anyone how loves to read about mysteries, follow the story and predict what's going to happen.
Barney
Oct 10, 2008 Barney rated it really liked it
On his way home from school, Timothy Malt was followed home by a stray dog. He was very curious of who the dog's owners are. One night, Timothy escapes from home aned tries to return the dog called Grk back to his owners. By using his dad's credit card, Timothy manages to reach Sanislavia, where Grk's owners are. He ends up saving Grk's owners and reaching back home, in England safely.
The Library Lady
Nov 05, 2007 The Library Lady rated it liked it
This story has been described as akin to Lemony Snicket, but the phoney arch tone isn't in the writing. But dreadful things DO happen including helicopters exploding, a colonel breaking a soldier's nose, people threatening to shoot kids and a car crash that leaves a character (admittedly a bad one) dead and the kids staring at his body.
I think we're going to put this in YA.....
Dilara
Jul 07, 2012 Dilara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Naja also ich fand dieses Buch teilweise langweilig und teilweise spannend. Deswegen hatte ich einfach beschlossen fünf Punkte zu geben. Für die acht Jährigen ist das sicher ein gutes Buch. Für die Viel Spaß dann noch beim lesen. Für die erwachsene ist das sicher Schrott. Also würde ich euch euch raten es nicht zu lesen.

Also dann bis zum nächsten mal Eure Dilara!!!
Amy Brown
In this English import, Tim tries to reunite a dog called Grk with his family who has been imprisoned by an evil dictatorship from the country of Stanislavia. What occurs is an adventure story with a helicopter, an evil Colonel, a high-security prison, a dog, worried parents, and representatives of the English government. The first in a series, three being published in the U.S. so far.
Lorelie
Jun 25, 2011 Lorelie rated it liked it
Based on the story line I thought I would like this a lot better, thought it was a bit simply written for the amount of action in the story, almost like the kid was a lot younger than 12. More like 7 or 8. But definetly could recommend it to my students.
Tilia
May 22, 2013 Tilia rated it really liked it
British Tim finds Grk the dog and takes him to Stanislavia to reunite him with his proper owners, who have been imprisoned during a coup. Great fun for adults and kids. A smart, funny adventure story.
Addison Children
When Tim finds a small dog outside his home, he is determined to return it to its rightful owner (his parents won't let him keep it) even if he has to cross the continent to do so. British language (jumper, etc.) and a Snicketish flair.
Susan Mockenhaupt
Jun 30, 2015 Susan Mockenhaupt rated it really liked it
It was good, per my 7yr old son. It held his attention while he carried it around the house reading as he walked. He was thrilled to learn its a series so we checked out 3 more Grk books from the library right away.
PWRL
Jun 06, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Faith Kempe
Mar 21, 2012 Faith Kempe rated it it was amazing
It is a very exciting story about two boys, one girl and a dog. It's heart racing, heart warming with a lot of adventure.
Michalla
Nov 25, 2010 Michalla rated it really liked it
I enjoyed it. It has been a while though. You will probably like it if you were a dog person and liked adventure books!!!! :)
Paul S.
Sep 15, 2016 Paul S. rated it liked it
Bought this for my seven year old son. He loves the Dragonsitter books.
Neither of us can recommend this book, certainly not for a seven year old. This mainly due to the violent nature of the book.
Phong Nguyen
Jan 15, 2017 Phong Nguyen rated it it was amazing
Its a good book for children who like adventures.
Tessa
Jul 22, 2008 Tessa rated it really liked it
where is Stanislavia?
Claire
Jun 21, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing
Oh, my goodness, wow. I am in love with this book, I am actually holding it right now!! I have probably read it one million times. I HIGHLY recommend this book.
Stella♥
May 28, 2012 Stella♥ rated it liked it
Weird but good
Richard Pittman
Aug 10, 2014 Richard Pittman rated it really liked it
Not bad at all. It was a bit on the violent side, so use with discretion.
Bailey Johannes
May 08, 2015 Bailey Johannes marked it as to-read
Shelves: science-fiction
My sister has this book.
Doyin
May 08, 2010 Doyin rated it it was amazing
awsome
Joey
Joey rated it really liked it
May 15, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2008
Thejas
Thejas rated it really liked it
Oct 15, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
ee 2 6 Aug 25, 2012 07:20AM
  • It Only Looks Easy
  • The Seven Professors of the Far North
  • Freddy In Peril (The Golden Hamster Saga, #2)
  • Neil Flambé and the Toyko Treasure (The Neil Flambé Capers #4)
  • Billy Hooten, Owlboy (Billy Hooten, Owlboy, #1)
  • Mrs. McBloom, Clean Up Your Classroom!
  • Sea Legs
  • Treasure Island
  • Mr. Pine's Purple House
  • Jesus Calling Bible Storybook
  • How the Sphinx Got to the Museum
Joshua Doder also writes as Josh Lacey.
More about Joshua Doder...

Grk (8 books)
  • Grk and the Pelotti Gang (Grk, #2)
  • Grk and the Hot Dog Trail