Start by marking “A Dog Called Grk (The Grk Books)” as Want to Read:
A Dog Called Grk (The Grk Books)

A Dog Called Grk (The Grk Books #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  142 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When Tim is followed home by a dog on the street, he's determined to find out who the friendly stray belongs to. But with a little investigating, Tim discovers that Grk's owners don't live in his town, or even in his country. Max and Natascha Raffifi, Grk's owners, have been kidnapped with their ambassador parents by the evil Colonel Zinfandel and taken to a prison in East...more
Published June 19th 2012 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Dog Called Grk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Dog Called Grk

Sandy
A Dog Called Grk is the story of 12-year-old Timothy Malt, whose life consists of fairly normal activities like going to school and playing computer games. One day Tim stumbles upon a small black and white dog called Grk who doesn't seem to have a home to go to and is in need of something to eat. A bit of investigation shows that Grk was owned by a girl named Natascha Raffifi, the daughter of the former ambassador from the country of Stanislavia who has recently been forced to return to his home...more
Jolie
I'm reading this aloud with Sarah and Jake right now--so far, it's a good read-aloud for both of them, and the chapters are nice and quick, which is good since Jake tends to fall asleep quickly at bedtime. Hopefully it will be one that we all enjoy, as there are several more in this series. Oddly enough, I feel like one of the first people in the world to read this book--there was only one review on Amazon, and only one rating here on Goodreads. Hmm. I'll let you know if we discovered a gem, or...more
Anne
I guess you could call this a "plucky child" book for our times. Sort of like Eva Ibbotson without the charm. Tim, a neglected only child of middle class parents, comes into possession of a very nondescript dog. It turns out that Grk actually belongs to the daughter of the ambassador of Stanislavia. When Tim learns that Natascha has been hijacked back to Stanislavia and imprisones, he makes the unusual decision to return Grk to her. Armed with his father's credit card, he starts on an epic quest...more
Addison Children
When Tim finds a small dog outside his home, he is determined to return it to its rightful owner (his parents won't let him keep it) even if he has to cross the continent to do so. British language (jumper, etc.) and a Snicketish flair.
Crystal
Read this to my son when he was sick. From the cover it looked like it was going to be a cute story about a boy and his dog. Boy was the cover deceiving is was definitely not a “cute” story. I had to do a lot of editing. The book is full of violence that is not appropriate for a children’s book.
1) parents are killed by the dictator's henchman (not described, but told after the fact).
2) a colonel breaks a soldier's nose
3) people threatening to shoot kids
4) a car crash that leaves a henchman dead...more
Nic
A great start to a bril series
Richard Pittman
Not bad at all. It was a bit on the violent side, so use with discretion.
Barney
On his way home from school, Timothy Malt was followed home by a stray dog. He was very curious of who the dog's owners are. One night, Timothy escapes from home aned tries to return the dog called Grk back to his owners. By using his dad's credit card, Timothy manages to reach Sanislavia, where Grk's owners are. He ends up saving Grk's owners and reaching back home, in England safely.
Amy Brown
In this English import, Tim tries to reunite a dog called Grk with his family who has been imprisoned by an evil dictatorship from the country of Stanislavia. What occurs is an adventure story with a helicopter, an evil Colonel, a high-security prison, a dog, worried parents, and representatives of the English government. The first in a series, three being published in the U.S. so far.
The Library Lady
This story has been described as akin to Lemony Snicket, but the phoney arch tone isn't in the writing. But dreadful things DO happen including helicopters exploding, a colonel breaking a soldier's nose, people threatening to shoot kids and a car crash that leaves a character (admittedly a bad one) dead and the kids staring at his body.
I think we're going to put this in YA.....
Dilara
Naja also ich fand dieses Buch teilweise langweilig und teilweise spannend. Deswegen hatte ich einfach beschlossen fünf Punkte zu geben. Für die acht Jährigen ist das sicher ein gutes Buch. Für die Viel Spaß dann noch beim lesen. Für die erwachsene ist das sicher Schrott. Also würde ich euch euch raten es nicht zu lesen.

Also dann bis zum nächsten mal Eure Dilara!!!
Lorelie
Based on the story line I thought I would like this a lot better, thought it was a bit simply written for the amount of action in the story, almost like the kid was a lot younger than 12. More like 7 or 8. But definetly could recommend it to my students.
Tilia
British Tim finds Grk the dog and takes him to Stanislavia to reunite him with his proper owners, who have been imprisoned during a coup. Great fun for adults and kids. A smart, funny adventure story.
Andy
Fine, unremarkable book. There were passages that were interestingly written/had a unique spin, but I never cared very much about the characters or felt any kind of excitement.
Claire
Oh, my goodness, wow. I am in love with this book, I am actually holding it right now!! I have probably read it one million times. I HIGHLY recommend this book.
Michalla
I enjoyed it. It has been a while though. You will probably like it if you were a dog person and liked adventure books!!!! :)
Faith Kempe
It is a very exciting story about two boys, one girl and a dog. It's heart racing, heart warming with a lot of adventure.
Princess
where is Stanislavia?
Stella♥
Weird but good
PWRL
Jun 06, 2012 PWRL marked it as to-read
Shelves: 2012-new
SM
Sarah marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
ee 2 6 Aug 25, 2012 07:20AM
Joshua Doder also writes as Josh Lacey.
More about Joshua Doder...
Grk and the Pelotti Gang Grk Smells a Rat Grk and the Hot Dog Trail Grk: Operation Tortoise Grk Takes Revenge