Start by marking “The Welsh Fairy Book” as Want to Read:
The Welsh Fairy Book

The Welsh Fairy Book (Forgotten Books)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  6 reviews
The Welsh Fairy Book is the finest example of Welsh book illustration to have been produced in the ferment of the early twentieth century. Published originally in 1907, the stories collected here were set in prose by the Welsh folklorist W. Jenkyn Thomas, editor of classical texts and of the poetry collection Penillion Telyn (1894), and illustrated by the Hungarian graphic ...more
Published February 5th 2001 by University of Wales Press

To ask other readers questions about The Welsh Fairy Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Welsh Fairy Book

Jo
3.5 stars.

“There is no end of treasure hidden in the mountains of Wales, but if you are not the person for whom it is intended, you will probably not find it. Even if you do find it, you will probably not be able to secure it, unless it is destined for you.”

There are eighty-three stories in this collection. I have to admit I’m not a huge fan of short stories (but that may be because I’ve not read a lot) so I’m not really an expert on how many stories should be in a collection.
But that’s a lo
B.B.
I learned that a collection of Welsh legends is called a Mabinogion, and I like that I have one. It's not THE Mabinogion, which I think is a bigger book, but it's a fair enough size, with a lot of the same stories. I mainly read this because the Prydrain Chronicles are sort of based off the Mabinogion, and I was happy when I could make a connection between characters of this and of that.

Okay, other than that, wow. The Welsh sure do like their... fairy-ring disappearances, conjurers, and all arou
Joe Marley
Ten things I learned from this book
1. Fairies are jerks. They like to steal babies and replace them with changelings. Plowing through a fairy ring will result in your crops being burned down and one of your descendants dying.

2. If you are walking home in the dark and you hear music, don't try to find it.

3. When someone tells you to put ointment on a baby's eyes but not your own, it's best to follow their advice.

4. Goblins will remain invisible until you give them a reason to beat you senseless.
Gillian Kevern
Dry, in the manner of all collections of fairy tales, but really interesting. A good ghost story towards the end!

I read this as research for a story I'm writing set in North Wales. Not only was this useful, but as a huge fan of Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence, I saw echoes of stories and elements that she'd incorporated into the two books set in Wales. I would recommend it to fellow Dark is Rising fans as well as people interested in fairy tales in general.
Hadeel
Some of the stories were nice and some of them were really silly.
You learn one main thing that fairies are jerks. xD
Haneen
i didn't like it...it talks about evil as if they live with us and we can communicate with them...
Alice Bliss
Alice Bliss marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
Cindy Gregson
Cindy Gregson marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Avery
Avery marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
Izabella
Izabella marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Tamara Perez
Tamara Perez marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
April
April added it
Feb 17, 2015
Bayan Oh
Bayan Oh marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Tanja
Tanja marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Octipi
Octipi marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Kerry Olivetti
Kerry Olivetti marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

Forgotten Books (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Beside the Fire
  • British Goblins: Welsh Folk Lore, Fairy Mythology, Legends and Traditions (1881)
  • Unknown Book 2432662
  • Celtic Folklore: Welsh & Manx
  • Cuchulain of Muirthemne: The Story of the Men of the Red Branch of Ulster
  • Folk Lore of the Isle of Man
  • The Four Ancient Books of Wales
  • Gods and Fighting Men: The Story of the Tuatha De Danaan and the Fianna of Ireland
  • Life of Merlin