Start by marking “Dial M for Murder” as Want to Read:
Dial M for Murder

Dial M for Murder

A three act drama for five men and one woman about a murder-for-hire gone wrong. A consistently delightful, thoroughly ingratiating comedy which takes the revolutionary position that men and women can simply be friends--without the distracting factor of sex to complicate their relationship.
Published December 1st 1954 by Dramatists Play Service (first published January 1st 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Dial M for Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dial M for Murder

Crawford
Dec 26, 2011 Crawford marked it as to-read
#10

Chief Inspector Hubbard
Frederick Knott
Dial M for Murder, the film adaptation of Knott’s stage play, is Hitchcock’s finest. Hubbard is played by John Williams in a cast that mainly features Ray Milland and Grace Kelly. Milland plots to murder his wife for her inheritance, but then his hired blackmailer burglar/murderer is killed. Milland smooths it all out, but Hubbard is several steps ahead. What follows is complicated, but involves Hubbard deducing where Milland will look for a second door k
UnoStudio
Jan 24, 2014 UnoStudio rated it it was amazing
Una buona sceneggiatura è tutto.

Se si dovesse poi disporre di un’ottima sceneggiatura – un eccellente testo teatrale, poniamo il caso, firmato da quell’autentico genio della drammaturgia che è stato Frederick Knott – si correrebbe perfino il rischio di mettere in scena la miglior commedia gialla che si sia mai vista sul grande schermo. Certo bisognerebbe cavar fuori dal cilindro una coppia d’attori del calibro di Ray Milland e Grace Kelly, e una regia sapiente, misurata, fedele al testo e al con
Heather
Jun 09, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
This was a fun read! Granted I was hoping it would be a "who done it" situation instead of knowing the killer and watching the case unfold to catch him, but it was still a fun read! It was fast paced and kept my interest the whole time. I know it is because it's a play, but as I was reading I could see in my head the people on a stage portraying the characters which was cool. Im pretty sure this is the first play I read without it being a school required read. I definitely recommend it to people ...more
Kevin
Mar 06, 2009 Kevin added it
Shelves: theater
I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of period pieces. The stodgy dialogue and protracted scenes do not add to the "entertainment value" of something I'd like to go out and see. This play has a few good moments in it, but is offset by a weak device of being able to hear both sides of numerous phone conversations and some scenes that might have been intense at the time (everyone get down and be real still for about five minutes - no, don't say ANYTHING) skates the line between intense psychological ...more
Alexander Seifert
Oct 31, 2015 Alexander Seifert rated it liked it
I still remember this book from the 7th grade. Unlike many of the books I read back then, it was mildly entertaining, at least to a 13-year-old. Knowing the killer in a 'who dun it' is an interesting spin on the genre. Other than that, it wasn't anything phenomenal and fit right into a junior high/middle school curriculum.
Brendan
Oct 25, 2014 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite of murder mysteries I've read lately, but still a solid entry. I want to say it's fairly formulaic, but given it was written 60 years ago it probably proceeded a lot of the similar stories I'm more familiar with.
Andrew
May 11, 2014 Andrew rated it really liked it
A good story, with good characters. The fight scene is really good. Probably better to see on stage, but still a good read.
Thalia Papadakis
Jul 31, 2016 Thalia Papadakis rated it really liked it
A classic must-read play!
Amy
Nov 04, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it
Shelves: theatre-movies
I could not help but see Hitchock's film scenes as I was reading this script! He was such a master of his craft. The element of silence is extremely affective and used in this play. It's a thoroughly enjoyable read and film; I would love to see it performed on the stage one day!
Eric Mikols
Sep 17, 2012 Eric Mikols rated it liked it
Shelves: scripts
It's well written and enjoyable, but I think this is a preformance play that doesn't scream amazing when read. It needs a good lead and great acting and it could be a cool show. No dialog stood out to me as great but watching the best laid plans fall apart was fun.
Tonya
Jul 06, 2013 Tonya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery, classics
What a great play! I would love to see it performed live on stage. The characters are well drawn, the plot is interesting and scenes well written. Definitely worth reading if you love the theater or mysteries!
Carolyn
Feb 18, 2015 Carolyn rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012, books-i-own
This was a fun, quick read. I don't enjoy plays that much and this one didn't feel all that special. Just a pretty average, mostly unmemorable piece.
Jack Wallace
Apr 17, 2012 Jack Wallace rated it it was ok
I didnt perticuarly like this book it is not my style of reading and i didnt understand some of it it was a bit boring but the story line was good
Jeff
Aug 21, 2013 Jeff rated it liked it
Hitchcock knew what he was doing--just a supremely entertaining and bullet-proof example of the genre.
Jordan
Nov 29, 2011 Jordan rated it it was amazing
This Story Kept me On the edge of my seat the entire time ! I Didn't want it to stop. Well Written.
Julian
Nov 17, 2008 Julian is currently reading it
Its a very good book if you like thrillers and a little bit of mystery.
Philip Fields
Dec 10, 2007 Philip Fields rated it really liked it
very good. gets a little boring sometimes. the murder is the best part
Meg
Feb 15, 2012 Meg rated it liked it
A fun who-dunnit! I wasn't crazy about the ending, though...
Liam
Mar 08, 2012 Liam rated it liked it
It was really entertaining, but could have been more Drama
RUBY
Dec 12, 2008 RUBY rated it really liked it
THIS PLAY IS AMAZING!
Nsikan Akpan
May 08, 2015 Nsikan Akpan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Who-Done-It
Franklin  Hummel
Franklin Hummel rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2016
Heidihark
Heidihark rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016
Inna
Inna marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Kim
Kim added it
Sep 26, 2016
Jonathan
Jonathan marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2016
Jemma
Jemma marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2016