Start by marking “The Forbidden Wish (The Forbidden Wish, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Forbidden Wish (The Forbidden Wish, #1)

The Forbidden Wish (The Forbidden Wish #1)

4.05  ·  Rating Details ·  4,993 Ratings  ·  1,216 Reviews
She is the most powerful Jinni of all. He is a boy from the streets. Their love will shake the world...

When Aladdin discovers Zahra's jinni lamp, Zahra is thrust back into a world she hasn't seen in hundreds of years—a world where magic is forbidden and Zahra's very existence is illegal. She must disguise herself to stay alive, using ancient shape-shifting magic, until
Published February 23rd 2016 by Razorbill

A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasEmpire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareGlass Sword by Victoria AveyardHeartless by Marissa Meyer
YA Novels of 2016
1,116 books — 8,575 voters
Empire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasLady Midnight by Cassandra ClareThe Raven King by Maggie StiefvaterGlass Sword by Victoria Aveyard
Can't Wait Books of 2016
1,351 books — 6,748 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Mar 05, 2016 Emily May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Wishes have a way of twisting themselves, and there is nothing more dangerous than getting your heart's desire. The question is, are you willing to gamble? How much are you willing to lose? What are you willing to risk everything for?”

I had a lot of doubts going into The Forbidden Wish. Yet another YA retelling? Yet another YA romance? But I should never have doubted my trusted Goodreads friends because there is nothing typical about this book.

Firstly, it is very romancey. Let's get that out
Khanh (the Grinch)
Feb 24, 2016 Khanh (the Grinch) rated it really liked it
I am not allowed to hope. I am forbidden a wish of my own. And so I will not think of the world above, of the open sky, of the fresh air and the light of day.

I will be lost, a myth, a dream. Trapped forever with myself in this prison of sand and magic. I cannot imagine a more terrifying doom. I thought I had resigned myself to this fate long ago, when it seemed no one would ever find me. Now I know this to be untrue, and that hope has pulsed deep within me like a dormant seed, waiting to flouri
Lola  Reviewer
4 1/2 stars.

My, my, what an enchanting retelling of Aladdin brimming with magic, humour, villains and good kissing!

‘‘Give me thy hand,’’ said the Queen, ‘‘and let us be friends. For does not the poet say, one true-hearted friend is worth ten thousand camels laden with gold?’’

This the Jinni pondered, before replying, ‘‘The poet also says, woe to the man who befriends the jinn, for he shakes hands with death.’’

Zahra is a jinni. For thousands of years, she has granted wishes. Freedom is somethi
Navessa
"We are adrift on a sea of moonlight sand, the silence as infinite as the space between the stars."

Well, well, well. This is one beautifully written fairy tale retelling.

Imagine the story of Aladdin. Now change the sex of the jinni who serves him, add in some supernatural politics, some courtly intrigue, a handful of badass female warriors, two peoples on the brink of war, and you basically have this book in a nutshell.

Was it perfect? No. I definitely had some issues with it. But now that
Jessica Khoury
Nov 08, 2015 Jessica Khoury added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
THE FORBIDDEN WISH is a story that has been tugging at me for years, and I'm overjoyed and honored to finally be sharing it with you at last. When Zahra first came to me, demanding that her side of the story be told, I was immediately entranced. I think the genie is the most fascinating character of the Aladdin fairytale. But what if the genie were a girl? What if there were more to her story? These questions became my obsession, and Zahra's voice was so strong in my mind that often, while ...more
Simona Bartolotta
4.5

"All the world is in your shadow."

•By way of introduction, I should inform you that Khoury's Aladdin spoke to my infamously cold heart. I think that, on my infatuation scale, this one reaches a Paul-Markov level. Which means I'm crushing on the guy. Very hard. (Though Paul Markov still remains a case on his own and my spiritual connection to him has by now achieved the status of True Love. Time will tell if with Aladdin will happen as much.) So, well, you see how I'll probably won't be 100% o
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

BR with the astounding Chelsea and Jen

"This place is haunted by ghosts, and I am one of them."

Told in a beautiful and evocative writing enhanced with sparks of humor, The Forbidden Wish surprised me in the best way possible : indeed albeit being quite romance-focused, it manages to avoid the tropes I hate the most in Fantasy/PNR YA :

There's neither instalove nor love triangle.(*)
The female lead is always sympathetic toward other women and there's no such thing as girl hate.
Aladdin's no
Clara
** 5 "WONDERFUL AND CAPTIVATING" stars **

I actually picked this one quite randomly, and without any high expectations about it, but to my greatest astonishment, this book turned out to be my best surprise of the year so far ! I honestly couldn’t find one thing I didn’t love about it or one reason why I shouldn’t give this book 5 stars ! So here it is : 5 amazing stars !

The story :
We’re following Zahra, a very old and powerful Jinni who’s been stuck in her lamp for thousands of years. But one
✔Jasmine✔
Latest & Final Update: 3/15/2016

**Actual rating: 3.5/5 My-Thief Stars**

Well, this is one of those stories which started with a promising beginning but the plot didn't develop as flawlessly as I hoped. Seriously, the first half of the book along with Aladdin and Zahra's upcoming adventure was very captivating and I was incurably obssessed with it. I was so eager to know what kind of trials they would encounter and how they would work as a team. Above all, I really wanted to see how well Zahra
Samantha
Sep 11, 2016 Samantha rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites-2016
4.5 stars!
Alyssa
Jan 14, 2016 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-releases
4.5 stars! Trying to decide if I want to round up or down. I LOVED this book!

***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Jacqueline
5/5 stars

Video Review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Tjx...

This book was one of most anticipated reads of 2016 and it didn't not disappoint. Can't wait to film and post my video review because I have lots to talk about!!
☆☽Erica☾☆
The only evidence that there ever was a garden of wonders, the only testimony to the great city lost beneath the sand, is a single pale coin that lies on the surface, winking at the moon.
And, of course, there is me.

This book is damn near flawless.

I am in love with it. This book was literally so much fun and so much wonderful and so much delightful that I just want to

This is a retelling of Aladdin, with a few twists- including the fact that the jinni of the lamp is a girl named Zahra who has b
Mikee Andrea (ReadWithMikee)
"Give me thy hand," said the Queen, "and let us be friends. For does not the poet say, one true-hearted friend is worth ten thousand camels laden with gold?"

This the Jinni pondered, before replying, "The poet also says, woe to the man who befriends the jinn, for he shakes hands with death."
3.5 STARS

The Forbidden Wish was actually not a bad story at all. I was a little worried that this retelling would butcher my love for Aladdin but while it didn't disappoint, it didn't impress me either. Ho
Alafiya
Aug 16, 2016 Alafiya rated it it was amazing
“I have no form, I have no name. I am the Slave of the Lamp, and your will is my will. Your wishes are my commands.”

The lamp's Jinni can grant your three wishes, here is my first:

description

Yeah, I am talking about Aladdin.

Habibas, this book is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Bubbling and sizzling with lush imagination, with magic laced into every word and romance that doesn't make you gag, this book is a literary firecracker!

One of the best novels I have read this year, The Forbidden Wish is the stor
Nastassja

Unplanned buddy-read with my fellow Watchmaidens Kristalia and Katerina.

“Like all wishes, the Forbidden Wish comes at a price. My freedom must be bought with a death, a life paid in sacrifice."

Once upon a time in Agrabah lived a boy named Aladdin. He was a homeless thief who survived by stealing food. One day he was caught and brought to a palace where a sinister vizier Jafar made a proposition to him: retreat an old lamp from a dangerous land and Aladdin will live, or decline and he will die. A

Laurie –A Court of Books–
“Love is a path lined with roses,” I say bitterly. “But it leads to a cliff’s edge, and all who follow it tumble to their doom.”

«Which Character from The Forbidden Wish are you?» take the quiz right here! I got Zahra, my favorite character of this book!! Tell me who you got in the comment!

This book was close to perfection!

I haven’t planned to read this book yet. I didn’t even heard about it before its release. But my in a couple weeks, my feed has been filled by positive reviews and most of
Rachel  (APCB Reviews)
This is a book I wish I could read for the first time again and again. The writing is addictive, the romance is subtle and smooth, the jinni aspects are captivating, the story is great, and it is a fitting retelling of Aladdin. I didn't expect this one to be as great as it was, and I'm happy to say I've found a book that gives me The Wrath and The Dawn vibes!

I haven't read anything by Jessica Khoury, so I went into this story with no expectations. I knew it was an Aladdin retelling, and I was st
Natalie Monroe
"My name," I stammer. "I mean... one of them. You can call me Zahra."

He turns around fully, his grin as wide and bright as the moon. "I'm Aladdin."

Thank God for reviews. Without them, I would have taken one look at the description of earth-shaking love, went nope and clicked away.

Is The Forbidden Wish heavy on romance?

Admittedly, yes.

Very early on in the story, Zahra develops an attraction for Aladdin, the boy, as we all know from the story, who let the genie (called "jinni" here) out of the
Lainey
Mar 17, 2016 Lainey rated it really liked it
Video Review: coming soon!

Solid 4/5 star read for me, I really really enjoyed this one! Surprisingly, when I first heard about this book a year ago I wasn't sure if I would like it. Aladdin is my absolute favorite Disney movie and still didn't know if I would like this retelling or not. However, this book was such a surprise I just loved loved this re-imagined take on Aladdin. If you didn't know what this book was about, it tells the story of Aladdin and his jinni, if the jinni was a female. Zha
Katerina Kondrenko
5.5 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

Short-Soundtrack:
Ancient Arabian Music - Arabian Nights
Two Steps From Hell – False Prince
Active Child – These Arms

Genre: retelling, fantasy, YA with a hint of upper-YA
Stuff: jinn, Aladdin, court, lies
Fail: fairytale-ish much
WOW: humor, writing style
POV: 1st-person, female
Love-Geometry:
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)

Buddy Read with the two bestest co-bloggers EVER-Anna and Jen!!

“I’m not here to fall in love, am I? I’m here to avenge my parents.”
“Don’t the two work hand in hand?”
Abruptly, he stops dancing and steps away. He stares at me with eyes as deep as the night.
“No,” he replies softly. “I’m not sure they do.”
I stand still, bewildered, as he turns and melts into the crowd.

Roped into reading this as a birthday buddy read, I wasn’t a happy camper. I mean, no, I wasn’t mad or upset or anything, but
Destini Mia~ ♕ Sassy Lassie
Me: "You know, I'm not really feeling this on–"

Everyone else:

*cricket sound*

*tumbleweed billows through arid landscape*

Me: "Nope, I'm still really not feeling this one.

You know what the thing about highs are? You eventually crash. And that's just what happened. I had been riding the 4 & 5 star wave. Book after book managed to impress me and I just knew the day would come when they mighty would fall.

Well, I have fallen.

I know many will disagree with me, seeing as The Forbidden Wish was imm
Stacee
Jan 20, 2016 Stacee rated it it was amazing
There has been a trend of books with jinn, tales of the desert, or Aladdin retellings. I will admit that I was a little trepidatious to read another one, but I had heard such great things. Plus that synopsis is amazing.

I LOVED Zahra. The way her full story unfolds is captivating and I had delicious struggle of trying to tear through the pages and try to savor it. Aladdin is similar to the one we all know, but Jessica has definitely made him her own.

The relationship between the two of them is sl
Nina (Every Word A Doorway)

This is yet another case of an intriguing concept with a lacking execution. The Forbidden Wish is a quick and light read and, with me, you've already won half the stars with an Arabian retelling. The romance, however, can be classified as insta-love, and there just isn't a whole lot of substance to the characters, plot, and world-building. Though I enjoyed the book and I was in the exact right mood to read this, this promising YA fantasy fell somewhat flat.

The beginning of the story, which take
Giovanna
Mar 16, 2016 Giovanna rated it really liked it
3.75

I was in no hurry to read The Forbidden Wish. I mean, it was in my wishlist and I would have probably read it sometime, but not anytime soon. Then I started seeing many positive reviews popping on my feed and so...I got it. And...well, Aladdin's my favourite Disney film. EVER.

Well, I liked The Forbidden Wish. I didn't love it, but I really liked it in a way.

I want to end the review on a positive note, so let's start with the parts I did not enjoy that much.

> The book itself felt a bit ru
Elle Fae
4.5 stars.

'Wishes have a way of twisting themselves, and there is nothing more dangerous than getting your heart's desire. The question is, are you willing to gamble? How much are you willing to lose? What are you willing to risk everything for?'

This book!!! I loved everything about it - the writing that was so vivid I could imagine everything as though as I was there, the fantastic world, which honestly didn't remind me of Aladdin in the slightest, but was instead fleshed out 10x more than th
Andie
“And what do you know of love?"
"That it must be a choice."
"Oh, my naive thief." I pause briefly to meet his gaze. "Love is rarely a choice.”

description

This was such a great surprise. Heavily romance focused but without any of the annoying tropes, The Forbidden Wish is a magical retelling of Aladdin filled amazing characters, beautiful writing, and a swonny romance.
When Aladdin sets his heart on something—or someone—nothing can stop him from getting it.

This Aladdin is a bit different than the Disney v
Abigail
May 09, 2016 Abigail rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
This was really great!

If you do not know, "Aladdin" is my favorite Disney animated movie. So, when I heard there was an Aladdin retelling, I had to read it immediately. This book did not disappoint.
I adored the adventure, the romance, and the humor. They were all placed perfectly. Khoury's writing was magical (get it?) and I was completely addicted to this book. I had to know what was going to happen.

The main reason this is not a five star book (and believe me it was going to be a
Colleen Houck
I was asked to officially blurb this book so here it is!

THE FORBIDDEN WISH has everything you’d hope for in a retelling of the Aladdin story—hanging-by-your-fingertips danger, palace intrigue, a dark villain, forbidden love, a swashbuckling hero, and a feisty, dagger-eyed princess, and yet each richly written chapter in this thrilling adventure story is full of unexpected surprises. I was utterly absorbed from the first page!
  • Never Ever (Never Ever, #1)
  • Vassa in the Night
  • Unhooked
  • Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Untitled, #1)
  • Wintersong
  • Ever the Hunted (Clash of Kingdoms, #1)
  • Revenge and the Wild
  • The Impostor Queen (The Impostor Queen, #1)
  • Hunted (Hunted, #1)
  • Blackhearts (Blackhearts, #1)
  • Stars (Wendy Darling, #1)
  • Rose & Thorn (Ash & Bramble, #2)
  • Princess of Thorns
  • Ivory and Bone
  • Ruined (Ruined, #1)
  • Bound by Blood and Sand
  • The Muse of Nightmares (Strange the Dreamer, #2)
  • The Keeper of the Mist
Jessica Khoury wrote her first book at age 4, a fan fic sequel to Syd Hoff's Danny and the Dinosaur, which she scribbled on notebook paper, stapled together, and placed on the bookshelf of her preschool classroom. Since that day, she's dreamed of being an author.

When not writing, Jess enjoys spending time with family, playing video games, and traveling the world in search of stories and inspiratio
More about Jessica Khoury...

“And what do you know of love?"
"That it must be a choice."
"Oh, my naive thief. " I pause briefly to meet his gaze. "Love is rarely a choice.”
79 likes