Start by marking “The Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints” as Want to Read:
The Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

The Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

4.58 of 5 stars 4.58  ·  rating details  ·  3,750 ratings  ·  141 reviews
Containing The Revelations For The Building Up Of The Kingdom Of God In The Last Days.
Published February 1st 2006 by Kessinger Publishing (first published August 17th 1835)

Be the first to ask a question about The Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Holy Bible by AnonymousThe Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.The Bhagavad Gita by AnonymousTao Te Ching by Lao TsuThe Quran by Anonymous
Best Holy Books
7th out of 155 books — 464 voters
The Book of Mormon by Joseph Smith Jr.Jesus the Christ by James E. TalmageHoly Bible by AnonymousStanding for Something by Gordon B. HinckleyThe Miracle of Forgiveness by Spencer W. Kimball
Best LDS non-fiction
54th out of 184 books — 216 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrik
The Doctrine and Covenants are an interesting and different compilation of Mormon writings in that they are a compilation of new and continuously evolving revelations directly from Jesus Christ to Joseph Smith (except for the last few) rather than a translation of ancient gold plates such as the Book of Mormon some of the writings found in the Pearl of Great Price.

The outset of the Doctrine and Covenants declares that the church, which a future revelation would rename to the Church of Jesus Chr...more
Little_hanna
read it ! this book is true and i will testify it. my testimony regarding this book is true for i know and i believe that this is a real word of God. the resurrection of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.
Yvonne
I first read this all the way on my own my senior year of high school when we were studying it in seminary. The interesting thing about all the scriptures is that no matter which prophet is recording the history of God's people, or the revelations of God - when the Lord speaks, it is the same 'voice'. So to me, this book of scripture is strong evidence of Joseph Smith's divine calling as a prophet of God.
To add to this testimony, my great-grandmother lived in Tasmania, Australia and was away at...more
Marissa
Apr 13, 2011 Marissa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I decided to read this book again, since it had been about 15 years. It was a great reminder to me of all the sacrifices Joseph Smith made... for us (everyone). He had such a great relationship with God, and though he wasn't perfect, he was close to it. His life is a testament that Jesus lives and restored the fullness of the gospel back in the 19th century. If it weren't true, there's no way Joseph would've gone through everything he did, put his family through everything they went through, mai...more
Michele
I love the D&C. I find it very scary. But it teaches me so much. I always learn so much every time I read it. Joseph Smith was the most amazing man. I have a testimony of his prophecy. I know he received the writings in the D&C as revelation for our day. I need to do so much to be more spiritually prepared.
Jay
Perhaps the book of greatest significance written in our era, for our era. Impossible to describe the full significance of the power of its doctrines upon my life. A must-read for any modern follower of Christ.
Diane Mueller
I read this right after I had read the Book of Mormon for the first time. I didn't fully understand it at the time but as I continued to reread it through the years I have found scriptures that reach out and touch me.
Rebecca
Some nice thoughts. I have always struggled to understand that role that it ultimately plays in the LDS faith. Is it just advice or is it gospel law?
Scott
This is a very complicated book, that like Paul's epistles you need to take with a grain of salt. This is because so much of it was written for other people. However, their teachings can still be learned from. I will say that I enjoy that last thirty sections more than the earlier ones. They were more in depth and represented to me Joseph Smith's peak in spiritual growth. This is where the sublime truths of the gospel can overwhelm my understanding. I need to study these more with topic to topic...more
Jon
I've read it before, but this year in Sunday School we're studying it and I plan to follow along with the lessons each week (it's a New Year's resolution). The great thing about this book of scripture is that it was written specifically for our day by living prophets. The Holy Bible and the Book of Mormon, as well as the Pearl of Great Price were all written by ancient prophets for their people at their time. Yes, there are lessons for us that can benefit our lives today, here and now, in these...more
Dad
Jun 01, 2011 Dad rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
It is more understandable than the Bible but it still has parts I don't understand. They are events and people I don't relate to as they are of a different age than my own. It is not a fault of the book but my own, needing to become more familiar with my own history.
I glory in the efforts put forth by the early members of the Church to establish said church and to go on despite persecutions which were very severe. Many of these were my forbears. Thanks go to them for the excellent conditions we...more
Nancy
It seems odd to rate a set of scripture. We were reading this as a family to go along with the year's Sunday school study. I found it amazingly difficult at times to read out loud and other family members had the same problem. It just twisted my tongue up at times. The D&C has some great sections that I don't even remember reading before, even though I have read it all at one time or another. Section 134 on government seemed very important in today's climate. There are a few sections that I...more
Wayne Goodworth
Perhaps one of my favorite aspects of reading the Doctrine and Covenants is the fact, that it is a book full of revelations. I believe that God reveals his will to people today, as he did in ages past. "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets" (Old Testament, Amos, Chapter 3:7). I believe that we should seek The Lord's will in our own lives, and I believe that he will guide and help us through personal revelation. One major reason I enjoy r...more
Roy
I am more convinced than ever that this is a true book and that the revelations contained or described (as especially in the the cases of the Kirtland temple dedication and both Official Declarations) herein are actually from God. Jesus Christ is at the helm of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and He wants people to read this book and learn of it from Him!
Chad
Neck-deep in hokey, but if you're interested in learning how Joseph Smith interacted with his followers, you'll have to wade through it. Much like flipping through a catalog of wartime propaganda posters. Note the chapters come in no particular order--not thematic, not chronological. But there is a chronological index, and plenty of outside reference material for context.
Lawrence Stone
Great book. This was my fourth time reading it and you can always find something new. Use the foot notes while you read to study and learn more in depth what is being talked about. Also, knowing the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints will help so you know what was going on when they were written.
Alison
This is a book I hope I will never take off my in-read shelf, as every time I dip into it I am electrified. It is an unorthodox book by any account in that, rather than being authored by Joseph Smith or any mortal, it claims to contain direct communication from God, that which He wills for mortals on earth to hear.
Will
woo hoo! Finished reading the Doctrine and Covenants tonight as a family. For me I enjoyed relearning how much of our doctrine has been established from the very beginning of the Church's organization, and how additional modern revelation has helped guide us along the way.
Brooke
I just finished reading this book. It was wonderful! It was nice because I felt like I was receiving knowledge that I could to relate to. This book is overlooked quite a bit in the LDS religion, but it is still a very important book to read. Everyone should read it.
The Doctrine & Covenants is not as easy to read as the Book of Mormon, but I am finding so much more to it now that I'm using the book "Making Sense of the Doctrine & Covenants". I love church history & the people involved in helping Joseph Smith restore the gospel.
Angie
This was my first time reading it cover to cover. I learned so much from this book and appreciate and love it more than I ever have before. It's also increased my desire to learn more about the early saints, especially those mentioned by name within each section.
Ernie Dawson
It will probably take an entire millennium to digest the truths of this book. President Benson referred to it as the Capstone of our religion. Many LDS fail to appreciate this great book. Joseph Smith said that there were "no mistakes in the revelations"
Banana
Mar 08, 2009 Banana marked it as to-read
This is another LDS book that I'll never be done reading. I'm just gonna read it over and over and over again. I'm planning on reading it right after I finish the Book of Mormon.
Steve
Hilarious.

A predecessor to L Ron Hubbard in creating a religion. Smith created Mormonism, Hubbard created Scientology.

If you want to get really rich create a religion.
Janet
I know these scriptures are true, and am grateful for modern-day revelation and guidance from our Heavenly Father.
Juergen John Roscher
I believe the Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to be the Word of God along with the Holy Bible, Book of Mormon, and Pearl of Great Price. For that reason, I strive to read each of the four books as often as I can with a hope to learn, understand and embody the teachings and principles so beautiful described in these books.

This book contains revelations received by the Prophet Joseph Smith and other leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Sain...more
Rebecca
Just finished again yesterday. I think I've read this at least 3 times now (One for seminary, one for BYU class and now). Loved it this time!

Favorite sections:

Section 20 (Plan of Salvation, Sacrament prayers, duties of priesthood)
29 (Second coming)
45 (Second coming)
46 (Gifts of the Spirit)
76 (Three Degrees of Glories and promises to the faithful! Love it!)
84 (Oath and Covenant of the Priesthood)
88 (Light vs. Darkness and "sanctify yourselves" etc.)
89 (Word of Wisdom)
90 (Search diligently, set ho...more
Qhlueme
I have read three or four editions of this book. The first I read was published before the pseudonyms were replaced by the real names of the people who were purportedly being protected by the use of pseudonyms. The Doctrine and Covenants consists of revelations reported by Joseph Smith, Jr. Many are simple messages for individuals, the church as a whole, and all mankind to repent. Many call the days in which they were received the days of the "final harvest". Some also pertain to Joseph Smith, J...more
Samuel
The Doctrine and Covenants is a very interesting work, but it can be difficult to read without a greater historical context. Primarily consisting of revelations recorded by Joseph Smith largely during the 1830s, by its very nature it is an open canon added to from time-to-time by Mormon Prophets (notably by Wilford Woodruff in 1890, Joseph F. Smith in 1918, and Spencer W. Kimball in 1978). Unlike the Book of Mormon, the contents deal with the Latter-day Saints in real time and the LORD speaks di...more
Jill
As I have read the Doctrine and Covenants several times, there was still some disturbance as to some of the "revelations". Upon reading more about Joseph Smith and his history along with having a Ph.D. in the psychology field, I suspect Joseph had a Narcissistic Personality Disorder. He used his "revelations" to control people and to get them to do what he wanted.

It is still a fascinating read in terms of what he wanted to accomplish and do.
  • Our Heritage: A Brief History of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
  • Truth Restored
  • Articles of Faith (Missionary Reference Library)
  • Marvelous Work and a Wonder
  • Our Search for Happiness
  • Mormon Doctrine
  • Of Souls, Symbols, and Sacraments
  • Not My Will, but Thine
  • Joseph Smith the Prophet
Joseph Smith, Jr. was the founder of the Latter Day Saint movement, also known as Mormonism, and an important religious and political figure during the 1830s and 1840s. In 1827, Smith began to gather a religious following after announcing that an angel had shown him a set of golden plates describing a visit of Jesus to the indigenous peoples of the Americas. In 1830, Smith published what he said w...more
More about Joseph Smith Jr....
The Book of Mormon Pearl of Great Price Lectures on Faith Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith The LDS Scriptures: Unabridged Complete King James Version Holy Bible /The Book of Mormon / Doctrine and Covenants / The Pearl of Great Price

“Peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.

Thy friends do stand by thee...'
-Jesus the Christ”
81 likes
“Therefore, dearly beloved brethren, let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed.” 12 likes