Start by marking “New Europe” as Want to Read:
New Europe

New Europe

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  748 ratings  ·  48 reviews
Until the early 1990s, travelling behind the iron curtain was never easy. In undertaking his new journey through Eastern Europe, breathing in its rich history, filming its sights and talking to its diverse people, Michael Palin fills what has been a void in his own experience and that of very many of his own generation.
Published September 1st 2008 by Phoenix (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about New Europe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about New Europe

Rosamund
Michael Palin is a legend, an all-round national treasure. And this account of his travels around the former Commie states - New Europe - increased my curiosity and fascination all the more, and only fed my wanderlust. He is a wit too (well, Monty Python of course). One of my favourite parts?

"We take a coffee break at the self-consciously literary Café Wilde, who published the first medical textbooks in Estonian. This doesn't stop them having a bronze sculpture of Oscar Wilde, seated on a bench
Robert Hepple
Michael Palin’s account of travels through the countries of eastern Europe makes a quite informative read. The countries concerned are mainly former eastern-bloc and breakaway Soviet republics, so there is a similar theme running throughout when Palin seeks opinions or describes architecture. Palin’s infectious glass half full optimism is evident, with some countries aspiring to EU membership, and some trying to live with ideological differences. Nevertheless, since the publication of the book i ...more
Nikola Jankovic
I liked Palin's Brazil very much. It presented a country in very various and lively way, it made me start saving money for my next long vacation to be there - and not visit only Rio and Sao Paolo. So, I bought this one quickly after.

There are few problems with a book. As I lived in "New Europe", I presume is the first one. There is not much new revealed to me, and I don't think only of ex-Yugoslavia, but also of Bolgaria, Romania and Baltic country, which I have not visited yet. Despite being 1
Eva Whiteley
New Europe is the third of Michael Palin’s travel books that I have read, and in comparison to the first two I found this read a bit hard going in places. This is because at the time of travel many of the places where still in a transition from an old way of life to a new way of life. Cities and towns where bleak, but the people where optimistic. Unfortunately, I was not inspired to put any of the places that where visited on my ‘must visit’ list. However, I don’t think that the trip intended to ...more
João Duarte
Michael Palin é famoso por ter pertencido aos Monthy Python mas, desde então, tem-se dedicado a explorar o mundo - e de uma forma não menos notável.

Este "A Nova Europa", tal como já acontecera com "A Volta ao Mundo em 80 Dias", deriva de uma série televisiva homónima. Neste caso, o alargamento da União Europeia para 27 estados-membro é o mote para Palin viajar por essas regiões não raro bastante desconhecidas.

Trata-se, portanto, de um livro bastante interessante, em particular num momento que a
Kristal Cooper
Michael Palin, of Monty Python fame, seems to be spending his post-Flying Circus days travelling the world. This book is a detailed, daily travelogue of a five month trip through a couple dozen Eastern European countries. It’s not meant to be humorous, though it does include precious snippets like: “I went to have a pee and found the bath and basin full of pig parts.”

My favorite bits were about Poland and East Germany, countries I was lucky enough to visit in 1987. I wonder if they’re simply the
martin
OK, this book left me both fascinated and disappointed. No, not the references to concrete apartment blocks - I have been to some central/eastern European countries and those blocks are part of the landscape. Necessities (as in Britain not always well planned but very cheap and functional) to house the people after the WW2 devastation. One big take-away for me was the way Tirana's leftist mayor has tried to brighten his city up by painting the blocks in bright cheerful colours. Maybe we could le ...more
Laura J
A delightful book, the first I've read by Michael Palin. (I've looked at the list of his other books and would like to read Full Circle about his Pacific Ring of Fire travels.)

This book about Europe has 21 chapters with easy-to-read segments within each country's chapter. I referred often to the helpful map showing Palin's route through eastern Europe and the countries that were once part of the Eastern Bloc.

Palin is a good storyteller, often with wry humour. Into the stories of each location,
Adriano Godinho
it's an interesting travel book, just a little bit not catching for me. Even if I was really interested in the matter, because I moved to Czech republic and wanted to know more about the eastern countries. Although the book didn't catch my interest and I couldn't continue until the end of the book. I don't know if it was my personal interest that couldn't take profit of this book, the truth is that there's some really nice and interesting moments in this book. I really found interesting the pass ...more
Hope
I always enjoy Michael Palin's travel books but this one is only getting three stars because it is somehow of less substance - perhaps because it is not as "exotic" - than some of the others. Also, he is in some of the countries for only a day or two, with only short anecdotes that left me a little disappointed. I will say though, that the book makes me want to go traveling in some of these former Eastern Bloc countries. And I did learn some more recent European history that I was unaware of, es ...more
angrykitty
i've read all of palin's other travel books, and so when i found this on amazon.uk i had to get it.

of all of palin's books, i found this one to be the least interesting. maybe it's just that i don't find eastern europe as interesting as africa, or teh pacific rim, or maybe it was the overall tone of the book, but it just seemed a little too repetative....eastern european country that is now not communist, and is now struggling to find itself, etc. etc.....still, not unworthy of reading if you li
Heather
It doesn't take much to stoke the fires of interest inside me when it comes to European travel, but throw an intelligent, humourous and fascinating ex-Pythonite into the mix and I'm happy as a pig in Slovakian mud. I haven't really seen any of Palin's travel shows, and this in essence just a companian to those, but there is enough factual content and anecdotal fabulousness to make that all but irrelvant. He has grace, charm and genuine affection for the places he vists and the people who open up ...more
Joshua Andert
Interesting, but as a budget travel myself I think Palin misses out on the crucial experiences of having to cross boarders, buy things etc... with people whom you can't communicate using anything but your hands. I think he's a little spoiled having people do everything for him. His comments of Eastern Europe are interesting. I really don't think I'd consider him a "traveler." Maybe a posh traveler.
Stephen
Thinking about visiting Eastern Europe or just interested in finding out more about the Countries that have suddenly appeared since the fall of the Berlin Wall then this book is for you. Micheal Palin wonderful documents his travels throughout Eastern Europe full of wonderful stories and characters that make these countries so wonderfully mysterious and really makes you want to visit them.
Sharon
As usual, a well written version of his travels in the 'new europe' Wonderful to read of these new countrys and see what has existed for many years behind the iron curtain.

I did enjoy this book, but I must confess, it took me a while longer to read this book, I normally read Mr Palin's travel storys a lot faster.

Maybe it is getting to be a bit old hat, for me.
Susan
May 21, 2012 Susan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book you can read at your own pace. Easy to read and fascinating. For some reason I am very interested in this part of the world. My goal to learn all those new little countries..lol
and then be able to pronounce them all.
If you have never read any of his books, give them a try. He also has dvd's out too I believe.
Kathleen McRae
5 star read! Michael Palin's journey through Europe starting in Slovenia and winding around eastern europe then up thru Ukraine and Russia then back to Germany. He has great info not only historical but ethnic and social and political. I particularily enjoyed his humorous depictions and funny details of people ,places and events
PastAllReason
This is the first Michael Palin book I've read. He has some interesting conversations and interactions with people during his travels in central and eastern Europe. One nitpick: it bothered me a bit that the travels occurred over the course of two summers and that the book wasn't very forthcoming in where or why this break occurred.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Great travelogue as usual. He has an insightful way of looking at things that make you feel as if you're traveling along with him. This is the most recent book he's written in his travels. I've read all of them and recommend them all. Just wish I had access to all the BBC tv series to go along with all the books.
Stephen Dawson
More in the same vein as previous Palin explorations. Like others of his more recent expeditions, it lacks a definite route, but explores an interesting and varied part of Europe unfamiliar to many in western Europe. A few countries are omitted but it remains a grand tour and entertaining with it.
Victoria
A very interesting book and like all travel literature, it made me want to hop on a plane or train. Palin has a beautiful way of writing and his narrative flows nicely. He notes down interesting points to see and do in each place as well as some history and background information.
Sam Still Reading
May 20, 2010 Sam Still Reading rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: armchair
Recommended to Sam Still Reading by: watching the TV programme
Palin's writing really transports you to Europe. From misery at Auschwitz to a fashion catwalk, I smiled and wiped away tears at various points. Very well written travel book with a good dose of history thrown in. Can't wait to read some more of his books.
Steve Butler
Took nearly 2 month to finish as entertaining but a lot to take in as packed full of facts - gives a good an insight into all those places I was previously only vaguely aware of somewhere that never gave us any points in eurvision...

I found this to be a little hit and miss. Some chapters were fascinating and really engaging whilst other chapters seemed to pass in a blur- a little like some of the train journeys Palin took!
Robot Cat
In this Michael Palin's travelogue of his eastern european tour, I learnt a bit of the history, culture, sights, food and people to whet my appetite for more countries to visit in the future.
~*kath*~
Apr 25, 2008 ~*kath*~ rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ~*kath*~ by: Michelle
Not Michael's best work, but I enjoyed it none-the-less. Could have had more on the day to day events of the crew while they were travelling, that's why I enjoy the books more than the series.
Debra
I found this a little difficult to get into to start with. The one thing I have learnt is that I need to brush up on my European geography. So much has changed since I left school.
William
A terrific travelogue to parts of Europe only recently opened up after the fall of communism and its aftermath. Palin, as always, is funny and insightful, and the photography is gorgeous.
  • The Hotel on the Roof of the World: From Miss Tibet to Shangri La
  • The 8:55 to Baghdad
  • On the Road to Babadag: Travels in the Other Europe
  • Me, Myself & Prague: An Unreliable Guide to Bohemia
  • Pass the Butterworms: Remote Journeys Oddly Rendered
Michael Edward Palin, CBE, is an English comedian, actor, writer and television presenter best known for being one of the members of the comedy group Monty Python and for his travel documentaries.

Palin wrote most of his material with Terry Jones. Before Monty Python, they had worked on other shows such as The Ken Dodd Show, The Frost Report and Do Not Adjust Your Set. Palin appeared in some of the
More about Michael Palin...
Around the World in 80 Days: Companion to the Pbs Series (Best of the BBC) Himalaya Full Circle Diaries: The Python Years, 1969-1979 (Palin Diaries, #1) Sahara