Start by marking “With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #3)” as Want to Read:
With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #3)

With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child #3)

4.44 of 5 stars 4.44  ·  rating details  ·  153 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A little effort goes a long way-that's what Sachiko, Honda-san, and Gunji-sensei learn as they struggle to work together to make life easier for the Special Education children. With the help of gadgets and the support of more people in their environment than meets the eye, Hikaru and Miyu become able to communicate better with the world around them. But when Hikaru's teen ...more
Published September 30th 2008 by Yen Press

To ask other readers questions about With the Light, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about With the Light

Andrea
Nov 02, 2010 Andrea rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: moms, those interested in disabilites and/or children
Shelves: manga-comics
Sachiko is my hero. She doesn't have superpowers, she doesn't kick butt or have witty insults or defy the system. She doesn't spend a lot of time "finding herself" or search for love in all the wrong places or have a troubled childhood or fight crime. She is totally different from every other protagonist in that what makes her special is her goodness. When there's a problem, she really tries to understand the other person's point of view, but she doesn't back down, either. When a teacher is not ...more
Nicholas Whyte
Third in the series of graphic novels about a Japanese child with autism by the late Keiko Tobe. I found the first half of the book, where a new special education teacher repeatedly fails to rise to the occasion and deal with the needs of the children under her care, really quite tough reading; Sachiko Azuma, the viewpoint character whose child is at the centre of the story, displays much more patience than I could bear to in that situation. The second half of the volume has young Hikaru on a fo ...more
Aiyana
My main review of the series is here: Series Review.

Additional quotes and notes from this volume:

"Hikaru and Miyu-chan [nonverbal autistic children] have the need to express themselves./ ...I want to always accept the messages from our children." (episode 13)

From the endnotes "What is Autism?" section(warning: again, neurodiversity right folks will be frustrated at some of the language used here). "Autistic people experience what they see, what they hear, what they touch, and what they taste d
Synesthesia (SPIDERS!)
This book is so good. If you are the parent of an autistic child or just want to understand autism better, this is a good series to read. It does offer the message of, let's help and understand this child on his own terms and work with him. His friends understand him and try to help him. So do his parents. I do like how even bad guy characters are redeemed too.
Kayla Rose
Dec 22, 2011 Kayla Rose rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kayla Rose by: Shana Dennis
Shelves: manga
This was, quite simply, a joy to read. Seeing the struggles and opportunities that Hikaru encounters in this volume shows just much he's grown and progressed over books one and two. I read this in one sitting and can't wait to get my hands on the next volume.
Kirstie
With the Light is the story of Sachiko Azuma and her son Hikaru, an autistic boy, and the trials and tribulations of their lives. (Mild Spoilers ahead)

Volume 3 starts with kaleidoscopes and the unknown dangers thereof and follows through as Gunji-sensei tries to be a better teacher to the special education class (in her own way) even though the crayfish project is the last thing she wants to be involved in! Most exciting is Hikaru's participation in the school field trip, three nights and four d
Emilia P
I wish the D.C. Library was better about buying whole series. Checked this out of Champaign and will send it back with my parents. -- I liked this because I am really starting to get a sense of how an autistic person learns and develops - at their own rate, but definitely impressively well and by way of many innovations devised by his caretakers here and there. The little family dramas and the personalities of other children in this book were pretty great too. As Hikaru grows older, his parents ...more
C
These are great books as far as educational value. The personal stories at the end of each book give some wonderful insight into autistic people and their families, their struggles.

That said, the actual storyline in the book moves very slowly. I finished this one, and may pick up the others just to read the stories at the end of each book, but won't likely continue with the rest. I found myself wanting to skip ahead and see what happens - when that happens, I know I've lost interest.
Alan
Nov 14, 2008 Alan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
A brilliant third edition. Heartwarming to see Hikaru's journey continue as he experiences the upper grades of his elementary school. Interesting new characters and situations. Kind of open-ended though. I hope the next volume comes out soon.
Brittany Murray
Brittany Murray marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Rosie
Rosie marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Nickolas
Nickolas marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
James
James added it
Feb 23, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Jenny Swan
Jenny Swan marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Kate
Kate added it
Jan 15, 2015
Bluelily3
Bluelily3 marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Bunny Drop 2 (Bunny Drop, #2)
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 2
  • Reunion (ElfQuest Reader's Collection, #12a)
  • Animal Crackers: A Gene Luen Yang Collection
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 5: Boundaries
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 4: End Game
  • Battle Angel Alita - Last Order : Angel's Duty, Vol. 09
  • Asperger's From the Inside Out: A Supportive and Practical Guide for Anyone with Asperger's Syndrome
  • Aya of Yop City (Aya #2)
Keiko Tobe (1957-January 28, 2010) was a mangaka who wrote primarily josei manga. She was best known for creating With the Light, which won an Excellence Prize in the Japan Media Arts Festival Awards in 2004 from the Japanese Agency for Cultural Affairs and inspired a television drama.
More about Keiko Tobe...

With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (8 books)
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #1)
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #2)
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #4)
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #5)
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #6)
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #7)
  • With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #8)
With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #1) With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #2) With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #4) With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #5) With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child (With the Light, #6)

“Encourage them to do what they can, and help them do what they cannot.” 4 likes
“Autism isn't your fault. Each child has the ability to grow. Those words saved me from a dark place.” 3 likes