Start by marking “Underground (Greywalker, #3)” as Want to Read:
Underground (Greywalker, #3)

Underground (Greywalker #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  4,089 ratings  ·  238 reviews
Harper Blaine was your average small-time P.I. until she died for two minutes. Now Harper is a Greywalker -- walking the thin line between the living world and the paranormal realm. And she's discovering that her new abilities are landing her all sorts of "strange" cases.

Pioneer Square's homeless are turning up dead and mutilated, and zombies have been seen roaming the und
Published August 5th 2008 by Roc Hardcover (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underground

Storm Front by Jim ButcherDead Witch Walking by Kim HarrisonDead Beat by Jim ButcherMagic Bites by Ilona AndrewsDeath Masks by Jim Butcher
Best Occult Detective Novel Fiction
50th out of 173 books — 179 voters
City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingDead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
The Best Urban Fantasy
469th out of 2,419 books — 8,971 voters

More lists with this book...

Angie
Okay, this series continues to entertain me much more than I initially expected it to. I was so pleased to get a copy of Underground for my birthday and I immediately dived right in. It picks up shortly after the events of Poltergeist and Harper is still dealing both physically and emotionally with the fallout from her ghost busting stint. Things with tall, blond, and lanky Will are less than stellar and distraction comes in the form of Harper's mysterious friend Quinton who shows up on her doo ...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
I just finished "Underground". This is Kat Richardson's third novel of her 'Greywalker' series and I love it! Her heroine reminds me a bit of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake...without the sexcapades...or the guilt...or the constant killing. Ok, maybe not Anita Blake. Richardson's heroine is a strong character who wrestles with her choices while always trying to do the right thing...even when it's not the most comfortable thing.

Harper died...for about two minutes. When she came 'back', she came
Mike (the Paladin)
I always expect...and want these books to be better than they are. I forgot, in the elapsed time between the last one I read and this one exactly why I hadn't picked it up sooner.

I like good urban fantasy, and like many I try most new series hoping for "good-reads" :). These don't stink. I read the first 2 and then set the series aside...because they just aren't that good. They are a good idea, and they at times begin to draw me in, but then always lose me.

This one started out slowly but finally
Angela
It's official: Underground, Book 3 of Kat Richardson's Greywalker series, is ten pounds of fun in a five pound jar. And I say that not just because the 'ship I was hoping for in this series sets sail as of this installment, either.

Now, zombies are the up-and-coming thing in urban fantasy these days, it seems. So I'm seeing more and more established series spend at least a little time doing a zombie plot, and this book is the Greywalker series' turn. That said, it's less of a zombie plot than you
Janet Piele
Three years ago. "Underground" was the book that introduced me to this author, Kat Richardson. I LOVED IT and upon finishing it, I bought everything else I could find by her. I devoured her books.
Now I'm reading them in order and following the store arc in sequence.
I'm having the best time! I remember exactly why I loved this book so much. It's fast paced and exciting. It's laugh-out-loud fun at times. It has the perfect blend of surprise, spooky, legend, adventure, mystery and intrigue. Don't
Meep
Oct 16, 2012 Meep rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history/ghost tour fans
Third in the series. The mystery/plot seems to move along a little faster in this and we finally get to learn more of Quinton, but there's still that blandness holding it back.

There's a rich patina of history and in the unlikely event I find myself in Seattle I'd love to take that ghost tour underground. The concept of raising the street level was fascinating to me, and having the hidden level below. Meeting the 'undergrounders' aka tramps held huge potential for characterisation.

Unfortunately t
Phogbound
My bad! I'm usually so anal about reading a series in order that it is very rare for me to read books out of order. Since they weren't numbered, I read this, the third book, second. But I don't regret it one little bit. One of the things I love about these books is their sense of feel for Seattle, its history and the effects of the Native American culture there. This story is centered on the Underground and, while the "real world" Underground is only available for a few guided tours, the author ...more
Karissa
This is the third book in the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson. The 4th book, Vanished, had already been released and the 5th book, Labyrinth, is due out August 2010. There are six books under contract for this series last that I heard. I enjoyed this book and thought it was a good addition to the series. I listened to this on audio book. The audio book was fairly well done, sometimes the narrator has trouble distinguishing the different male voices, but other than that it was easy to listen ...more
Vickie
This is one of my favorite series, especially in the urban fantasy genre. I loved learning more about Quinton, a character the reader meets in the first book of the series and gets to know a little bit about to be supremely intrigued (I know I was). I was pleased to see a lot more of Quinton this time around and a lot less of Will, the boyfriend in book one and two.
Richardson uses folklore to create the monster that is attacking Seattle's homeless and what a monster it is. Freaked me right the
Topher
This is one of those series that I enjoy - but, even among the brain candy I typically read, this is particularly cotton candy. I have a lot of trouble remembering details from previous books - it's only as the author refers back to specific things that I get a case of deja vu.

Am I reading too many similar things? Maybe. I don't have trouble with Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, etc, though. There's about 4 series that my brain seems to insist is one series, all with the same protagonist.

I'm not
faeriemyst
Underground is a solid third entry back into the grey. Harper is, as always, a protagonist I can relate to and is believable in her thoughts in actions. Although the plot was slow at times, it was still entertaining and usually kept my interest. I love Seattle as a setting, even if there are a few liberties (hey, I've never been there! :P), and will continue to pick up Ms. Richardson's books!

*slight spoilers*
I hope Will is gone for good (what a bore) and Quinton is as intriguing as he's always b
Nicola O.
I had so much fun with this book! I like the Greywalker series anyway, and the Seattle setting, but this one covered a ton of real-life Seattle places that I am really familiar with.

Instead of a regular review, I did a photo-essay and took some snapshots of some of the places that appear in this book. Check it out if it sounds interesting to you!

Ed Nemo
My favorite book in the series so far. I liked the concept of the Seattle underground and the connection with the local native culture.

I am liking Quinton's character a lot more than Will's as Quinton is actually useful while Will was...kind of worthless. A definite example of trading up.

Ancient spirits and monsters are why I read these kinds of books. I really enjoyed the addition of a more ancient paranormal threat as well as dealing with the concept of a "Universal Monsters" and the benefit
Katie
I'm glad that Will is out and Quinton is in. I really enjoy this type of love interest - nerdy, smart and not at all pushy. The fact that he has a ~mysterious~ past is also thrown out the window in the interest of disclosure to main character so that she is not constantly left in the dark (well, any more than usual).
Irene
I loved the history of Seattle, its streets & the underground. The monster was a bit hard for me to take though it was very exciting action. It helped that it was a Native American monster. Her & Quinton? Too good to be true? We shall see!
This is my favorite book in the series so far! For so many reasons! First of all, I love that in each book new characters are added but the old ones continue to make appearances. Second, the thing with Will was doomed from the start, I'm glad that's over (sorry, spoiler). Third, Quinton is my FAVORITE character (and I imagine him as played by Neil Grayston), and in this book we learn a lot more about him and I grew to love him even more. So glad there was so much Quinton in this book! Fourth, I ...more
Carol.
Best yet. Good mystery, nice character development, as well as her relationship with Quinton.
Dahrose
Such a strange series (a gift -so I have to keep reading) - Harper Blaine is still a bland, blank slate and kind of unlikeable. Once more the book never really thoroughly explains why she needs to be the one to solve this case or continuously mix with vampires (though they scare her and now for some reason, sexually attract her - huh?)
Big leaps are made in Harper's use and understanding of her powers in this third book - but we the reader are never told how or why she made these leaps - so huge
Larissa
Series Review! No Spoilers!
Series Rating: 3.5 Stars!
{Previously Published on my blog: Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life"

I can’t remember how or when I found out about the Greywalker Series, I do remember it was on one of my many and constant hunts for new Urban Fantasy series.

Harper Blaine is a P.I. and one day, during an investigation, she gets attacked by a man and dies, for exactly two minutes. That is when everything changes for Harper and finds out that there is much more to the world than
PM
OK, you will see now that my rating has jumped to a 5. This was now a book I couldn't put down. In fact, as I read, I kept looking to see how many pages were left, something I seem to do when I worry that the book will be over too fast. I also noticed I was stalling as I read, getting up for this or that, I think so I could take the time and relish the fun! The romance picks up, maybe that was what I was missing, but I now am "getting" the Grey. The writer's style of romance is not the deep soul ...more
Sara
My Take:
By far the best of the series – the character interactions were smooth
and relatable. There weren’t any gaps in the story line, no unexplained jumps, resulting in a loss of the reader. I liked getting to know more about Quentin and his history, and enjoyed the progression of their relationship. I think that the author is now fully comfortable with her characters and their abilities, as well as her own to weave a cohesive story.

This story line was especially interesting – she mentions tha
Julie H.
Much of this story centers on missing homeless people in and around Pioneer Square, where Harper's office is located and where her consultant Quinton spends a good deal of time. Bodies are being discovered, with evidence of predation that is chalked up to feral dogs--despite the fact that there are no feral dogs in evidence. In the course of the tale we learn Quinton's backstory, spend some cramped time below the modern sidewalks of 19th-century Seattle where the homeless and assorted creatures ...more
Colleen
Book 3 in Richardson's Greywalker series (4 books released to date) -- Harper Blaine is a Seattle P.I. solving paranormal cases after a near death experience allows her to cross into The Grey:
"the realm of ghosts, vampires, witches, and magic that exists between our world and the next".

The Greywalker series reads much like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but is more of a companion piece, than a copy. Richardson's world is less fantastical and more gritty, because unlike Harry Dresden, she is not a
Lynette Aspey
I would gladly have paid around $5 a piece to procure each of Ms Richardson's Greywalker series on my Kindle. Unfortunately, her publisher has made an eBook-unfriendly pricing decision that has lost her these sales. Instead, I found a copy of "Underground" at a local library.

While I would have preferred to start the series at the beginning, "Underground", which is #3, stood very well on its own. The detail of the setting, including the paranormal "Grey" which the Seattle-based PI heroine, Harpe
Emily
Richardson continues to offer excellent and creative urban fantasy. This installment delves further into Seattle's strange-yet-factual history, including using part of the underground part of the old city as its setting for Native American monsters and zombies.

When the downtown burned in 1889, the decision was made to raise the streets above the high tide mark and construct the new buildings out of non-flammable materials. For a while, sidewalks were on the old city level as the new streets wer
Robin
Here is the third Greywalker mystery featuring Harper Blaine—a former ballerina turned private detective who, since a near-death experience two books ago, can see, move, and act inside the realm between the natural and the supernatural, called the Grey. Harper has already added experience with vampires, revenants, and poltergeists to her curriculum vitae. In this third outing, she gets to add zombies and a native American monster named Sisiutl.

She loses a boyfriend who can't handle the truth ab
Kathy Davie
Third in the Greywalker urban fantasy series about a private investigator, Harper Blaine, who can enter a fold of the universe that infringes between the normal and the paranormal.

My Take
An interesting exploration of homeless and Northwest Indian cultures combined with a tour of the old underground of Seattle. Richardson does state that she took liberties with Seattle's sunken city but if only one quarter of it is accurate...wow! Be sure to take the tour if you ever get out to Seattle. It soun
Nan
I liked this book quite a bit, but it came off as a the weakest of the Greywalker books that I've read so far. However, that does not mean it was a bad book--far from it. This is a real page turner, and I couldn't wait for the revelations at the end.

Thoughts after my second reread: I'm no longer quite so certain that this is the weakest of the Greywalker books. That honor may belong to Poltergeist. This novel does more to advance the general action of the series than the second book did. It also
Ben Babcock
On the whole not a bad book, but it didn't strike a chord with me. The story was lacklustre and the writing, while at times good, was also pretty bland. That's Underground's major problem: I couldn't bring myself to love it, nor could I let myself hate it. It's mediocre.

Harper Blaine, the female once-nearly-dead PI with a touch of magic, is a fairly likable character. She doesn't get on my nerves the way some "hard-boiled" PIs can, swooping in and out of the scene like they're always in charge;
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
  • Walking Dead (Walker Papers, #4)
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Spectre (Zoe Martinique #2)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros #3)
  • The Darkest Edge of Dawn (Charlie Madigan, #2)
  • Dead Reign (Marla Mason, #3)
  • Daemon's Mark (Nocturne City, #5)
  • Ghosts & Echoes (Shadows Inquiries #2)
  • As Lie the Dead (Dreg City, #2)
  • Dead Matter (Simon Canderous, #3)
  • Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)
  • Not Flesh Nor Feathers (Eden Moore, #3)
  • Redemption Alley (Jill Kismet, #3)
Author of the Greywalker paranormal detective novels. Lives on a boat in Seattle with her husband and the ghosts of ferrets.
More about Kat Richardson...
Greywalker (Greywalker, #1) Poltergeist (Greywalker, #2) Vanished (Greywalker, #4) Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5) Downpour (Greywalker, #6)