Start by marking “Underground (Greywalker, #3)” as Want to Read:
Underground (Greywalker, #3)

Underground (Greywalker #3)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  4,574 ratings  ·  254 reviews
Harper Blaine was your average small-time P.I. until she died for two minutes. Now Harper is a Greywalker -- walking the thin line between the living world and the paranormal realm. And she's discovering that her new abilities are landing her all sorts of "strange" cases.

Pioneer Square's homeless are turning up dead and mutilated, and zombies have been seen roaming the und
Published August 5th 2008 by Roc Hardcover (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underground

City of Bones by Cassandra ClareMoon Called by Patricia BriggsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingMagic Bites by Ilona Andrews
The Best Urban Fantasy
471st out of 2,784 books — 9,729 voters
Storm Front by Jim ButcherDead Witch Walking by Kim HarrisonDead Beat by Jim ButcherDeath Masks by Jim ButcherSummer Knight by Jim Butcher
Best Occult Detective Novel Fiction
53rd out of 187 books — 207 voters

More lists with this book...

Okay, this series continues to entertain me much more than I initially expected it to. I was so pleased to get a copy of Underground for my birthday and I immediately dived right in. It picks up shortly after the events of Poltergeist and Harper is still dealing both physically and emotionally with the fallout from her ghost busting stint. Things with tall, blond, and lanky Will are less than stellar and distraction comes in the form of Harper's mysterious friend Quinton who shows up on her doo ...more
Julie (jjmachshev)
I just finished "Underground". This is Kat Richardson's third novel of her 'Greywalker' series and I love it! Her heroine reminds me a bit of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake...without the sexcapades...or the guilt...or the constant killing. Ok, maybe not Anita Blake. Richardson's heroine is a strong character who wrestles with her choices while always trying to do the right thing...even when it's not the most comfortable thing.

Harper died...for about two minutes. When she came 'back', she came
Mike (the Paladin)
I always expect...and want these books to be better than they are. I forgot, in the elapsed time between the last one I read and this one exactly why I hadn't picked it up sooner.

I like good urban fantasy, and like many I try most new series hoping for "good-reads" :). These don't stink. I read the first 2 and then set the series aside...because they just aren't that good. They are a good idea, and they at times begin to draw me in, but then always lose me.

This one started out slowly but finally
Oct 16, 2012 Meep rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: history/ghost tour fans
Third in the series. The mystery/plot seems to move along a little faster in this and we finally get to learn more of Quinton, but there's still that blandness holding it back.

There's a rich patina of history and in the unlikely event I find myself in Seattle I'd love to take that ghost tour underground. The concept of raising the street level was fascinating to me, and having the hidden level below. Meeting the 'undergrounders' aka tramps held huge potential for characterisation.

Unfortunately t
It's official: Underground, Book 3 of Kat Richardson's Greywalker series, is ten pounds of fun in a five pound jar. And I say that not just because the 'ship I was hoping for in this series sets sail as of this installment, either.

Now, zombies are the up-and-coming thing in urban fantasy these days, it seems. So I'm seeing more and more established series spend at least a little time doing a zombie plot, and this book is the Greywalker series' turn. That said, it's less of a zombie plot than you
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.

So Harper's pal/computer tech/security expert, Quinton, comes to her for a favor. Several homeless people in the area have gone missing, and some have shown up that look, well, eaten. By something large. Quinton would like Harper to look into it, see if there's something that's more up her particular alley than what the police are looking/equipped for.

Obviously, yes, or it'd be a very short -- and incredibly dull -- book.

Harper and Quinton
My bad! I'm usually so anal about reading a series in order that it is very rare for me to read books out of order. Since they weren't numbered, I read this, the third book, second. But I don't regret it one little bit. One of the things I love about these books is their sense of feel for Seattle, its history and the effects of the Native American culture there. This story is centered on the Underground and, while the "real world" Underground is only available for a few guided tours, the author ...more
This is the third book in the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson. The 4th book, Vanished, had already been released and the 5th book, Labyrinth, is due out August 2010. There are six books under contract for this series last that I heard. I enjoyed this book and thought it was a good addition to the series. I listened to this on audio book. The audio book was fairly well done, sometimes the narrator has trouble distinguishing the different male voices, but other than that it was easy to listen ...more
This is one of my favorite series, especially in the urban fantasy genre. I loved learning more about Quinton, a character the reader meets in the first book of the series and gets to know a little bit about to be supremely intrigued (I know I was). I was pleased to see a lot more of Quinton this time around and a lot less of Will, the boyfriend in book one and two.
Richardson uses folklore to create the monster that is attacking Seattle's homeless and what a monster it is. Freaked me right the
This is one of those series that I enjoy - but, even among the brain candy I typically read, this is particularly cotton candy. I have a lot of trouble remembering details from previous books - it's only as the author refers back to specific things that I get a case of deja vu.

Am I reading too many similar things? Maybe. I don't have trouble with Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, etc, though. There's about 4 series that my brain seems to insist is one series, all with the same protagonist.

I'm not
Janet Piele
Three years ago. "Underground" was the book that introduced me to this author, Kat Richardson. I LOVED IT and upon finishing it, I bought everything else I could find by her. I devoured her books.
Now I'm reading them in order and following the store arc in sequence.
I'm having the best time! I remember exactly why I loved this book so much. It's fast paced and exciting. It's laugh-out-loud fun at times. It has the perfect blend of surprise, spooky, legend, adventure, mystery and intrigue. Don't
Underground is a solid third entry back into the grey. Harper is, as always, a protagonist I can relate to and is believable in her thoughts in actions. Although the plot was slow at times, it was still entertaining and usually kept my interest. I love Seattle as a setting, even if there are a few liberties (hey, I've never been there! :P), and will continue to pick up Ms. Richardson's books!

*slight spoilers*
I hope Will is gone for good (what a bore) and Quinton is as intriguing as he's always b
This story was one I picked up to read the entire series, which was recommended to me by Goodreads. I am reading them slightly out of order, having started both book 1 and book 3 within a short time frame. I have now finished both, and book 3, Underground, is much better. The characters flow together better, and they have become more believable.

We also are not "treated" to a constant flow of characters whipcord thin and rangy, tall, and lacking in body mass. Unfortunately, the finale brings us
When I first heard about the Greywalker series, I was told that the first few books start off shaky and uncertain, but by the third book, Richardson hits her stride. So I started reading about Harper Blaine’s paranormal investigations with lowered expectations and the intent to stick things out—no matter how bad they got—until at least book three. And that’s what I did, and I am so glad. The series was decent up until this point, but with Underground, it’s like someone flipped a switch. Every ar ...more
Nicola O.
I had so much fun with this book! I like the Greywalker series anyway, and the Seattle setting, but this one covered a ton of real-life Seattle places that I am really familiar with.

Instead of a regular review, I did a photo-essay and took some snapshots of some of the places that appear in this book. Check it out if it sounds interesting to you!

The monster is a real part of Native American culture. However, since my complete lack of familiarity with it required significant background, I felt that the author dropped the ball in that aspect. I needed to look up much of it myself, including the specific tribes and their cultures just to get a basic understanding of the plot and I still was left with the feeling of vagueness (you cannot learn much about an entire culture quickly). The creature has an incredibly strange appearance an
Ed Nemo
My favorite book in the series so far. I liked the concept of the Seattle underground and the connection with the local native culture.

I am liking Quinton's character a lot more than Will's as Quinton is actually useful while Will was...kind of worthless. A definite example of trading up.

Ancient spirits and monsters are why I read these kinds of books. I really enjoyed the addition of a more ancient paranormal threat as well as dealing with the concept of a "Universal Monsters" and the benefit
I'm glad that Will is out and Quinton is in. I really enjoy this type of love interest - nerdy, smart and not at all pushy. The fact that he has a ~mysterious~ past is also thrown out the window in the interest of disclosure to main character so that she is not constantly left in the dark (well, any more than usual).
I loved the history of Seattle, its streets & the underground. The monster was a bit hard for me to take though it was very exciting action. It helped that it was a Native American monster. Her & Quinton? Too good to be true? We shall see!
This is my favorite book in the series so far! For so many reasons! First of all, I love that in each book new characters are added but the old ones continue to make appearances. Second, the thing with Will was doomed from the start, I'm glad that's over (sorry, spoiler). Third, Quinton is my FAVORITE character (and I imagine him as played by Neil Grayston), and in this book we learn a lot more about him and I grew to love him even more. So glad there was so much Quinton in this book! Fourth, I ...more
Not the worst urban fantasy, and not the best. It's alright.

The characters are fine, but the plot design and storytelling are sloppy. This pretty much holds true for the entire series.
Cynthia Wood
The series continues to get stronger as Kat Richardson seems to find her feet and voice in her world (Harper, her heroine, has had a strong voice from day 1). Harper is slowly gaining knowledge and confidence in dealing with the Grey and the creatures that inhabit it, but discovering more and more uncanny things as she goes, keeping a nice balance of learning and challenge, without leaving the reader feeling blindsided by things that were never hinted at.

This time we're dealing with the homeless
Best yet. Good mystery, nice character development, as well as her relationship with Quinton.
Such a strange series (a gift -so I have to keep reading) - Harper Blaine is still a bland, blank slate and kind of unlikeable. Once more the book never really thoroughly explains why she needs to be the one to solve this case or continuously mix with vampires (though they scare her and now for some reason, sexually attract her - huh?)
Big leaps are made in Harper's use and understanding of her powers in this third book - but we the reader are never told how or why she made these leaps - so huge
Series Review! No Spoilers!
Series Rating: 3.5 Stars!
{Previously Published on my blog: Welcome to Larissa's Bookish Life"

I can’t remember how or when I found out about the Greywalker Series, I do remember it was on one of my many and constant hunts for new Urban Fantasy series.

Harper Blaine is a P.I. and one day, during an investigation, she gets attacked by a man and dies, for exactly two minutes. That is when everything changes for Harper and finds out that there is much more to the world than
OK, you will see now that my rating has jumped to a 5. This was now a book I couldn't put down. In fact, as I read, I kept looking to see how many pages were left, something I seem to do when I worry that the book will be over too fast. I also noticed I was stalling as I read, getting up for this or that, I think so I could take the time and relish the fun! The romance picks up, maybe that was what I was missing, but I now am "getting" the Grey. The writer's style of romance is not the deep soul ...more
My Take:
By far the best of the series – the character interactions were smooth
and relatable. There weren’t any gaps in the story line, no unexplained jumps, resulting in a loss of the reader. I liked getting to know more about Quentin and his history, and enjoyed the progression of their relationship. I think that the author is now fully comfortable with her characters and their abilities, as well as her own to weave a cohesive story.

This story line was especially interesting – she mentions tha
Julie H.
Much of this story centers on missing homeless people in and around Pioneer Square, where Harper's office is located and where her consultant Quinton spends a good deal of time. Bodies are being discovered, with evidence of predation that is chalked up to feral dogs--despite the fact that there are no feral dogs in evidence. In the course of the tale we learn Quinton's backstory, spend some cramped time below the modern sidewalks of 19th-century Seattle where the homeless and assorted creatures ...more
Book 3 in Richardson's Greywalker series (4 books released to date) -- Harper Blaine is a Seattle P.I. solving paranormal cases after a near death experience allows her to cross into The Grey:
"the realm of ghosts, vampires, witches, and magic that exists between our world and the next".

The Greywalker series reads much like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but is more of a companion piece, than a copy. Richardson's world is less fantastical and more gritty, because unlike Harry Dresden, she is not a
  • Hands of Flame (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #3)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Spectre (Zoe Martinique #2)
  • Roadkill (Cal Leandros, #5)
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • The Path of Razors (Vampire Babylon, #5)
  • A Flash of Hex (OSI, #2)
  • Demon Bound (Black London, #2)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • Hunter's Prayer (Jill Kismet, #2)
  • As Lie the Dead (Dreg City, #2)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
  • Ghosts & Echoes (Shadows Inquiries #2)
Author of the Greywalker paranormal detective novels. Lives on a boat in Seattle with her husband and the ghosts of ferrets.
More about Kat Richardson...

Greywalker (10 books)
  • Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)
  • Poltergeist (Greywalker, #2)
  • Vanished (Greywalker, #4)
  • Chemotherapy (Greywalker #4.5)
  • Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5)
  • Downpour (Greywalker, #6)
  • Seawitch (Greywalker, #7)
  • Possession (Greywalker, #8)
  • Revenant (Greywalker, #9)
Greywalker (Greywalker, #1) Poltergeist (Greywalker, #2) Vanished (Greywalker, #4) Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5) Downpour (Greywalker, #6)