Start by marking “Underground (Greywalker, #3)” as Want to Read:
Underground (Greywalker, #3)

Underground (Greywalker #3)

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  5,103 Ratings  ·  273 Reviews
Harper Blaine was your average small-time P.I. until she died for two minutes. Now Harper is a Greywalker -- walking the thin line between the living world and the paranormal realm. And she's discovering that her new abilities are landing her all sorts of "strange" cases.

Pioneer Square's homeless are turning up dead and mutilated, and zombies have been seen roaming the und
Published August 5th 2008 by Roc Hardcover (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underground

Angie
Aug 24, 2008 Angie rated it liked it
Okay, this series continues to entertain me much more than I initially expected it to. I was so pleased to get a copy of Underground for my birthday and I immediately dived right in. It picks up shortly after the events of Poltergeist and Harper is still dealing both physically and emotionally with the fallout from her ghost busting stint. Things with tall, blond, and lanky Will are less than stellar and distraction comes in the form of Harper's mysterious friend Quinton who shows up on her doo ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Aug 16, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was ok
I always expect...and want these books to be better than they are. I forgot, in the elapsed time between the last one I read and this one exactly why I hadn't picked it up sooner.

I like good urban fantasy, and like many I try most new series hoping for "good-reads" :). These don't stink. I read the first 2 and then set the series aside...because they just aren't that good. They are a good idea, and they at times begin to draw me in, but then always lose me.

This one started out slowly but finally
Meep
Oct 16, 2012 Meep rated it liked it
Recommends it for: history/ghost tour fans
Third in the series. The mystery/plot seems to move along a little faster in this and we finally get to learn more of Quinton, but there's still that blandness holding it back.

There's a rich patina of history and in the unlikely event I find myself in Seattle I'd love to take that ghost tour underground. The concept of raising the street level was fascinating to me, and having the hidden level below. Meeting the 'undergrounders' aka tramps held huge potential for characterisation.

Unfortunately t
Angela
Jul 26, 2009 Angela rated it it was amazing
It's official: Underground, Book 3 of Kat Richardson's Greywalker series, is ten pounds of fun in a five pound jar. And I say that not just because the 'ship I was hoping for in this series sets sail as of this installment, either.

Now, zombies are the up-and-coming thing in urban fantasy these days, it seems. So I'm seeing more and more established series spend at least a little time doing a zombie plot, and this book is the Greywalker series' turn. That said, it's less of a zombie plot than you
Hobart
Sep 03, 2015 Hobart rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-reads
This originally appeared at The Irresponsible Reader.
---

So Harper's pal/computer tech/security expert, Quinton, comes to her for a favor. Several homeless people in the area have gone missing, and some have shown up that look, well, eaten. By something large. Quinton would like Harper to look into it, see if there's something that's more up her particular alley than what the police are looking/equipped for.

Obviously, yes, or it'd be a very short -- and incredibly dull -- book.

Harper and Quinton
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa rated it really liked it
This is the third book in the Greywalker series by Kat Richardson. The 4th book, Vanished, had already been released and the 5th book, Labyrinth, is due out August 2010. There are six books under contract for this series last that I heard. I enjoyed this book and thought it was a good addition to the series. I listened to this on audio book. The audio book was fairly well done, sometimes the narrator has trouble distinguishing the different male voices, but other than that it was easy to listen ...more
Phogbound
Apr 16, 2010 Phogbound rated it really liked it
My bad! I'm usually so anal about reading a series in order that it is very rare for me to read books out of order. Since they weren't numbered, I read this, the third book, second. But I don't regret it one little bit. One of the things I love about these books is their sense of feel for Seattle, its history and the effects of the Native American culture there. This story is centered on the Underground and, while the "real world" Underground is only available for a few guided tours, the author ...more
Vickie
Jan 10, 2010 Vickie rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite series, especially in the urban fantasy genre. I loved learning more about Quinton, a character the reader meets in the first book of the series and gets to know a little bit about to be supremely intrigued (I know I was). I was pleased to see a lot more of Quinton this time around and a lot less of Will, the boyfriend in book one and two.
Richardson uses folklore to create the monster that is attacking Seattle's homeless and what a monster it is. Freaked me right the
Topher
Sep 02, 2009 Topher rated it really liked it
Shelves: modernfantasy
This is one of those series that I enjoy - but, even among the brain candy I typically read, this is particularly cotton candy. I have a lot of trouble remembering details from previous books - it's only as the author refers back to specific things that I get a case of deja vu.

Am I reading too many similar things? Maybe. I don't have trouble with Kim Harrison, Kelley Armstrong, etc, though. There's about 4 series that my brain seems to insist is one series, all with the same protagonist.

I'm not
Janet Piele
Jun 28, 2015 Janet Piele rated it it was amazing
Three years ago. "Underground" was the book that introduced me to this author, Kat Richardson. I LOVED IT and upon finishing it, I bought everything else I could find by her. I devoured her books.
Now I'm reading them in order and following the store arc in sequence.
I'm having the best time! I remember exactly why I loved this book so much. It's fast paced and exciting. It's laugh-out-loud fun at times. It has the perfect blend of surprise, spooky, legend, adventure, mystery and intrigue. Don't
faeriemyst
Underground is a solid third entry back into the grey. Harper is, as always, a protagonist I can relate to and is believable in her thoughts in actions. Although the plot was slow at times, it was still entertaining and usually kept my interest. I love Seattle as a setting, even if there are a few liberties (hey, I've never been there! :P), and will continue to pick up Ms. Richardson's books!

*slight spoilers*
I hope Will is gone for good (what a bore) and Quinton is as intriguing as he's always b
Nicola O.
Feb 28, 2010 Nicola O. rated it really liked it
I had so much fun with this book! I like the Greywalker series anyway, and the Seattle setting, but this one covered a ton of real-life Seattle places that I am really familiar with.

Instead of a regular review, I did a photo-essay and took some snapshots of some of the places that appear in this book. Check it out if it sounds interesting to you!

K.
I'm glad that Will is out and Quinton is in. I really enjoy this type of love interest - nerdy, smart and not at all pushy. The fact that he has a ~mysterious~ past is also thrown out the window in the interest of disclosure to main character so that she is not constantly left in the dark (well, any more than usual).
Irene
Nov 09, 2013 Irene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the history of Seattle, its streets & the underground. The monster was a bit hard for me to take though it was very exciting action. It helped that it was a Native American monster. Her & Quinton? Too good to be true? We shall see!
Suzanne
Nov 06, 2014 Suzanne rated it liked it
Not the worst urban fantasy, and not the best. It's alright.

The characters are fine, but the plot design and storytelling are sloppy. This pretty much holds true for the entire series.
Carol.
Dec 18, 2010 Carol. rated it really liked it
Best yet. Good mystery, nice character development, as well as her relationship with Quinton.
Swalsk
This is likely my last book of the year. I was unfortunately disappointed in it. For all its good qualities this book has and the strong female lead, Harper seems to be lacking something, which makes me feel like this series is lacking something. I felt it in the last book too, I feel no emotional connection to Harper, and so the book seems to drag on a bit too me because I'm not invested in the characters. Oh well, perhaps I'll have better luck next year.
Jessi Szigethy
Dec 26, 2016 Jessi Szigethy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love the attention to detail

It's very cool when an author can take some actual myths and geography and make it work in a book. The mystery and solution are well thought out and fast paced. Start at the beginning
Tamara Hutchins
Nov 21, 2016 Tamara Hutchins rated it it was ok
Unfortunately I did not read books 1 & 2 prior to this one. Not sure how much of an impact this caused but I struggled to grasp some of the magical concepts in the story.
Really really struggled to get into the story and won't be bothering to track down the first books in the series
Strega
Nov 22, 2016 Strega rated it liked it
Great mix of paranormal and Native
Kathy Davie
Apr 22, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Third in the Greywalker urban fantasy series about a private investigator, Harper Blaine, who can enter a fold of the universe that infringes between the normal and the paranormal.

My Take
An interesting exploration of homeless and Northwest Indian cultures combined with a tour of the old underground of Seattle. Richardson does state that she took liberties with Seattle's sunken city but if only one quarter of it is accurate...wow! Be sure to take the tour if you ever get out to Seattle. It soun
Robin
Oct 07, 2013 Robin rated it really liked it
Here is the third Greywalker mystery featuring Harper Blaine—a former ballerina turned private detective who, since a near-death experience two books ago, can see, move, and act inside the realm between the natural and the supernatural, called the Grey. Harper has already added experience with vampires, revenants, and poltergeists to her curriculum vitae. In this third outing, she gets to add zombies and a native American monster named Sisiutl.

She loses a boyfriend who can't handle the truth ab
Renae
When I first heard about the Greywalker series, I was told that the first few books start off shaky and uncertain, but by the third book, Richardson hits her stride. So I started reading about Harper Blaine’s paranormal investigations with lowered expectations and the intent to stick things out—no matter how bad they got—until at least book three. And that’s what I did, and I am so glad. The series was decent up until this point, but with Underground, it’s like someone flipped a switch. Every ar ...more
Colleen
Dec 21, 2009 Colleen rated it it was amazing
Book 3 in Richardson's Greywalker series (4 books released to date) -- Harper Blaine is a Seattle P.I. solving paranormal cases after a near death experience allows her to cross into The Grey:
"the realm of ghosts, vampires, witches, and magic that exists between our world and the next".

The Greywalker series reads much like Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but is more of a companion piece, than a copy. Richardson's world is less fantastical and more gritty, because unlike Harry Dresden, she is not a
Grete
Mar 27, 2012 Grete rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, kindle

Review originally published at BookThing!

Harper Blaine might be getting more used to living with the Grey in her life, but she’s still unsure what it all means, and why she of all people, had become a Greywalker when she’d died for those two minutes. While still working as a private detective, she accepts that her unique talents mean her clients aren’t always of the human variety any more.

Bodies of some of the homeless who gather in Seattle’s Pioneer Square have been turning up, and more are mis
Julie (jjmachshev)
Jan 03, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009-reads
I just finished "Underground". This is Kat Richardson's third novel of her 'Greywalker' series and I love it! Her heroine reminds me a bit of Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake...without the sexcapades...or the guilt...or the constant killing. Ok, maybe not Anita Blake. Richardson's heroine is a strong character who wrestles with her choices while always trying to do the right thing...even when it's not the most comfortable thing.

Harper died...for about two minutes. When she came 'back', she came
Ben Babcock
On the whole not a bad book, but it didn't strike a chord with me. The story was lacklustre and the writing, while at times good, was also pretty bland. That's Underground's major problem: I couldn't bring myself to love it, nor could I let myself hate it. It's mediocre.

Harper Blaine, the female once-nearly-dead PI with a touch of magic, is a fairly likable character. She doesn't get on my nerves the way some "hard-boiled" PIs can, swooping in and out of the scene like they're always in charge;
Emily
Jun 29, 2013 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013, review
Richardson continues to offer excellent and creative urban fantasy. This installment delves further into Seattle's strange-yet-factual history, including using part of the underground part of the old city as its setting for Native American monsters and zombies.

When the downtown burned in 1889, the decision was made to raise the streets above the high tide mark and construct the new buildings out of non-flammable materials. For a while, sidewalks were on the old city level as the new streets wer
Shelley
Aug 02, 2010 Shelley rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
**Review** Harper Blaine, the heroine of the series, is a private investigator living in Seattle and was killed whilst pursuing a case. She was dead for only two minutes and brought back by medical intervention. During her recovery, she discovers she is able to recognize witches and vampires see ghosts and is aware of other elements of the supernatural world. She discovers that her brief death has turned her into a Greywalker, a human able to move back and forth at will through the Grey, the rea ...more
  • Hands of Flame (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe #3)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Phantasm (Zoe Martinique, #3)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • The Path of Razors (Vampire Babylon, #5)
  • Daemon's Mark (Nocturne City, #5)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
  • Dead Reign (Marla Mason, #3)
  • A Flash of Hex (OSI, #2)
  • Madhouse (Cal Leandros, #3)
  • The Hour of Dust and Ashes (Charlie Madigan, #3)
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
  • Redemption Alley (Jill Kismet, #3)
Bestselling author of the Greywalker paranormal detective novels. Former theater brat, singer, dancer, gemology and jewelry course-writer, liveaboard boater, and editor. Currently lives in the wilds of far-western Washington with her husband and dogs.
More about Kat Richardson...

Greywalker (10 books)
  • Greywalker (Greywalker, #1)
  • Poltergeist (Greywalker, #2)
  • Vanished (Greywalker, #4)
  • Chemotherapy (Greywalker #4.5)
  • Labyrinth (Greywalker, #5)
  • Downpour (Greywalker, #6)
  • Seawitch (Greywalker, #7)
  • Possession (Greywalker, #8)
  • Revenant (Greywalker, #9)