Start by marking “Marvel Comics: 75 Years of Cover Art” as Want to Read:
Marvel Comics: 75 Years of Cover Art

Marvel Comics: 75 Years of Cover Art

Marvel Comics will celebrate 75 of years of comics excellence in 2014. DK commemorates this special anniversary with "Marvel Comics Cover Art," a beautiful, large-scale book featuring some of the most impactful, inspiring, and unusual comic cover art to come out of the Marvel vault.

With access to the rarest and most interesting cover art in Marvel's 75-year history, DK bri
Published August 18th 2014 by DK (first published July 21st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Marvel Comics, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marvel Comics

Jeff
Oct 10, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
Shelves: comix, non-fiction
This coffee table book, which could double as an actual coffee table is a lot of fun. Even my wife was interested and she doesn’t usually go in for this stuff.

The title explains it all. You have pretty much the run of the best comic covers since Marvel was Timely Comics back in World War II through the present. Anyone who was an innovator is included here: Jack Kirby (hell, yes!), the Romitas, John Byrne, John Buscema, Jim Steranko, Steve Ditko, George Perez, Gil Kane, Wally Wood, Neal Adams, e
Daniel Butcher
Aug 25, 2014 Daniel Butcher rated it it was amazing
Posted at welcometolevelseven.com

Writer Alan Cowsill should add curator to his resume. Marvel Comics: 75 Years of Comic Art is more than a book, it is a mobile art museum. Between the book’s two covers is a treasure chest of art developed by some of Marvel’s finest artists from the Golden to the Modern age.

Marvel Comics: 75 Years of Comic Art by Alan Cowsill collects Marvel’s finest covers in an over-sized 300 plus page book. The text puts on displays hundreds of Marvel covers, with typically o
Jeff
Aug 26, 2014 Jeff rated it really liked it
A spectacular, oversized hardcover that celebrates Marvel's 75 years in publishing with some of the most iconic artwork featured in Marvel Comics over the last 75 years, including some alternate/never used pieces as well as preliminary sketches and profiles of many of the key artists in Marvel's history.

Marvel/Timely of the Golden Age is represented but the majority of the art is from the Silver Age on up. Every major milestone is included up to the relaunch of Marvel, with many full page covers
Camilo Guerra
Jan 02, 2016 Camilo Guerra rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ensayo
316 paginas que encierran 75 años de portadas Marvel, que sirven de historia del proceso, del arte, de la evolución de los comics en todas las epocas, de la dorada, a la de bvonce, el paso por la oscura y la moderna, todo en la evolución del arte y los diseños, hay cientos de grandes portadas y tal vez lo ultimo que se le puede tomar a mal es tener tantas portadas de Greg Land.
Kevin Bermingham
Nov 19, 2016 Kevin Bermingham rated it it was amazing
The perfectly oversized archive of comic art that every true believer needs in their library. More cool stuff to feast your eyes on than your brain can process at one sitting. Infinitely repeatable.
Luanne Ollivier
Aug 26, 2015 Luanne Ollivier rated it it was amazing
Fan Expo? Well, the term Comic Con might be more familiar to you, but Fan Expo Canada is currently the 3rd largest pop culture event in North America! And its happening Sept 3-6 in Toronto this year. You might be saying to yourself - Luanne are you going? Umm, no, not my thing (although Norman Reedus from The Walking Dead is going be there....) But boy, oh boy is it up my husband's alley!

DK Canada is also going to be there - and in anticipation, they've put together a great selection of books in
Joseph Phillips
This book is every Marvel comic book fans dream!

I got this as a Christmas present from my girlfriend (She had it signed by one of the drawers at MCM back in October) and it was by far the most amazing Christmas present I have ever received. Thank you :)

So, this book takes us through the many years of Marvel comic book history, starting from The Golden Days (1930's - 1950's) of the original Captain America covers and The All Winners covers to the Modern Age covers (mid 1980's - NOW) which include
Tiamatty
Feb 15, 2015 Tiamatty rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This was OK. Kinda cool. There are some obvious choices. There are some really cool covers. There's also a few that I found questionable, where I wasn't sure why they were included, since they didn't actually look all that great. There were some that, while I understood why they were included, I was still annoyed, because ugh. Some Greg Land covers, for instance, or a few '90s covers with anatomically impossible women (Jim Lee being a major culprit). So, yeah, some choices I didn't like. There ...more
Michael Alexander Henke
Mar 30, 2016 Michael Alexander Henke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, graphic-novel
What a fantastic book. I love comic book cover art, and this book is jam packed with it. The book itself is very high quality. Huge size, slipcase, and it comes with two prints included. The contents of the book are even better. Marvel covers from the past 75 years including amazing artists like Jack Kirby, Jim Steranko, David Aja and numerous others. I especially enjoyed the chapter on the modern era because it included many covers that I own and consider some of my favorites. Each cover ...more
Ron Cole
Apr 20, 2015 Ron Cole rated it really liked it
I saw this book at the library and had to give it a try. The cover featured the original Human Torch, not Wolverine and the Hulk. I learned a little, still found it hard not to wonder what it would be like to have unlimited funds to keep up with all the Marvel titles over the years. I have since been to a bookstore and realize they are showing the cardboard box picture and that is why the library book seemed to have a different cover. If you go out and buy this, you will have a sturdy enclosure ...more
Samuel
Jan 07, 2015 Samuel rated it it was amazing
This book is every Marvel fanboy's dream. It collects the best covers of Marvel's comics for the past 75 years, and it also includes commentaries on the covers. Alan Cowsill also provides a crash course on Marvel history, as he gives insights on the comic and the creators themselves. I noticed that the author gives Ed McGuiness credit for a Captain America cover by Steve Epting, but since that is the only mistake I found I am willing to ignore it. Overall the book was great and fun to read.
Mike Thomas
Jan 22, 2015 Mike Thomas rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic, huge coffee table sized book in a very nice slipcase, it covers all the years of marvel comic covers. I remember having a few of them in the 70's, albeit a year later than the American comics as marvel UK was a year behind the Americans. They are reproduced very nicely with lots of information about the artistry behind them and the artists. An essential read if you are a Marvel fan. A top book, well made....
P.M. Bradshaw
Jul 22, 2015 P.M. Bradshaw rated it liked it
Marvel Comics: 75 Years of Cover Art is a large, oversized coffee table book. It nicely presents cover art in chronological order, from the golden age, silver age, bronze age, and modern age of comics.

I was disappointed that there weren't more full-page pictures. You'd think that would be the point in making a book this size in the first place. Nice overall. Three and a half stars.
The Advocate
"This book is a must for any comic book fan, comic illustrator or pop art enthusiast."
Read more here.
Stuart
Jan 10, 2016 Stuart rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
John Smith
May 03, 2015 John Smith rated it really liked it
A fantastic overview 75 years of Marvel Comics greatest covers.
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Galen
Galen rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Stef
Stef rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Tonia
Tonia rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2015
Grindy Stone
Grindy Stone rated it really liked it
May 15, 2015
Shannon Presnell
Shannon Presnell rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2015
Geoffrey
Geoffrey rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2015
Christi Labib
Christi Labib rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Jeff Tingey
Jeff Tingey rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2016
Jim Rector
Jim Rector rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2015
Jim Olson
Jim Olson rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
Brandon Rector
Brandon Rector rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2014
Pete
Pete rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2016
Ray
Ray rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Update cover 2 23 Feb 25, 2016 01:20PM
1978112
Librarian Note: Publisher should not be listed as an author unless there is no other name known for author or editor

Dorling Kindersley (DK) is a British multinational publishing company specializing in illustrated reference books for adults and children in 62 languages. It is part of Penguin Random House, a consumer publishing company jointly owned by Bertelsmann SE & Co. KGaA and Pearson PL
More about DK Publishing...