Start by marking “Sipping Spiders Through A Straw: Campfire Songs For Monsters” as Want to Read:
Sipping Spiders Through A Straw: Campfire Songs For Monsters
Preview

Sipping Spiders Through A Straw: Campfire Songs For Monsters

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  205 ratings  ·  50 reviews
A delightfully chilling musical romp through the gross and gory world of campfire songs!

In this howlishly fun collection of campfire songs, little monsters everywhere will love singing along to their favorite campfire tunes which have been altered for optimal gross-out effect by the ghoulish Kelly DiPucchio and illustrated by the Master of Creep, Gris Grimly.

Disgusting hig
Published May 1st 2008 by Scholastic Press

To ask other readers questions about Sipping Spiders Through A Straw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sipping Spiders Through A Straw

The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything by Linda WilliamsThe Hallo-wiener by Dav PilkeyThe Berenstain Bears and the Spooky Old Tree by Stan BerenstainRoom on the Broom by Julia DonaldsonScary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz
Best Halloween Picture Books
90th out of 235 books — 307 voters
Frankenstein Doesn't Slam Hockey Pucks by Debbie DadeyFrankenstein Doesn't Plant Petunias by Debbie DadeyThe Bride of Frankenstein Doesn't Bake Cookies by Debbie DadeyFrankenstein Doesn't Start Food Fights by Debbie DadeySipping Spiders Through A Straw by Kelly DiPucchio
Children's Frankenstein Books
5th out of 28 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Betsy
Nine’s a funny age. You’re all about joining the older kids, reading their chapter books, and playing their games. So there’s that. On the other hand, you still have a real appreciation for truly kid-like things. You want to simultaneously grow up and remain a child. You might visit a library one day and request a book of “scary stories” only to find that Alvin Schwartz’s Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark is a bit much for you. With that in mind, people are going to pick up Kelly DiPucchio’s Sip ...more
paula
I must admit that when I picked up this clever book, all I could hear in my mind was the 1980 Squeeze song "Pulling Mussels From the Shell." That would be one messed-up book: 80's pop songs reworded for Halloween. But sort of appropriate. Richard Butler of The Psychedelic Furs always looked kind of undead to begin with.

But the book. It's cute! Kids who love monsters will love it! Kids who love messing with song lyrics (and what kid doesn't, I ask you? Can anyone think of "Kawasaki lets the good
David
Sipping Spiders Through A Straw: Campfire Songs For Monsters by Kelly DiPucchio, illustrated by Gris Grimly is a fun collection of monster campfire songs creepily illustrated.

18 campfire songs are altered into Monster campfire songs sung to the original tune. "Row, Row, Row your Boat" becomes "Blow Blow Blow Your Nose". "Home on the Range" is transformed into "Home of the Strange".
Title highlights include: "If You're Scary and You Know It", "99 Bottles of Blood on the Wall", "Do Your Guts Hang
J-Lynn
This is a really unique and creepy collection of monster songs set to popular camp song tunes. The book has songs with varying levels of complexity and gore and would be a fun activity around Halloween or Dia de Los Muertos.

Some fun songs to sing wih younger students include, "If You're Scary and You Know It, Clap Your Paws," "Where, Oh Where Has My Little frog Gone?" and "Blow, Blow, Blow Your Nose!" Older students would appreciate the story that is told in "Harry Finnigan" about a teen werewo
Libby
Aug 06, 2014 Libby added it
Someday I will get these reinvented song lyrics out of my head...

Songs like, "Where Oh Where Has My Little Frog Gone?" "I've Been Running Over Road Toads," and the absolute grossest:

Blow, blow, blow your nose,
Sick and stuffy ghost.
Pick it,
And Poke it,
And pull it out,
and spread it on your toast.

eww.
Icats
If you are going camping this summer or on a road trip, I highly recommend this book. On the other hand, if you plan on spending your entire summer inside on the couch watching TV, I still recommend Sipping Spiders Through Straws. Your family will enjoy nothing more than you belting out a few spine-chilling tunes during commercials.

Some of my favorites were Home of the Strange, 99 Bottles of Blood on the Wall, If You’re Scary and You Know it, Clap Your Paws, My Body Lies Over the Ocean and Take
Garren
Not a big fan of Gris Grimly's art and that's the main attraction here. Monster-y and gross alternative lyrics to songs should appeal to the kind of kid who's into singing "Never Laugh When a Hearse Drives By..." but not to adult me.
Jaimie
Amusingly reworked campfire songs with the theme of ghosts and ghouls. The illustrations are the best part though, as Grimly does his best to toe the line between cute and horrifying.
Nanci Booher
A "song book" for those ghastly monsters on a camp out. Written to the tunes of some of our childhood favorites, this book will sure delight even the grumpiest of ghouls!
Tracy
Very amusing. Tunes are all old favorites so everyone can chime in. Illustrations are dark and twisty sketches.

*ewww to Blow(x3), your nose* that one invoked a gag reflex
Anna
Cute horror songs for kids :) I sang them to myself in my head while I read. I enjoyed the illustrations even more - creepy to a weird degree, sort of like the Scary Stories stuff...I'll be looking for more stuff by that illustrator.
Stacy
Weird book . . . . but not surprising since Gris Grimly is the illustrator. I put this book on the poetry shelf, but it is really a book of songs.
Leigh
I marked this both adult and juvenile non-fiction since the songs will amuse kids and the adults will remember singing these when they were young.
Donald Armfield
This is a fun reading sing along. I know a lot of the tunes for children songs so I was technically singing to my kids instead of reading. Cannot say I am no Frank Sinatra when I sing but it was funny to change lyrics to songs, I basically do that on a day to day bases to begin with.

Gris Grimly is one of my new favorite illustrators. His Gothic Tim Burton drawings are eye candies for me.

Here are my favorites on the playlist.
Home of the Strange
Blow, Blow, Blow Your Nose
My Delicious Frankenstein
Zo
Annelise
Gris Grimly + songs you thought you knew.
"99 Bottles of Blood on the Wall" is my favorite.
Joella www.cinjoella.com
Oh how I LOVE this book! It makes me laugh. It makes me smile. It makes me want to invite monsters camping! Some of my all-time favorite camp songs are re-done so that they have their own special monster twist. And that can only be good things! I only wish that there were a music cd to go along with the book. Could you just see it as a wonderful monster melody cd? It would be better than ever! I only wish that all my friends could have been around when I first snorted and snickered through the f ...more
Ian
Delightful illustrations, inoffensive yet inessential lyrics.
Mitchell Ary
remade song lyrics to classic songs
babyhippoface
Maybe I just don't have the right temperament for this stuff. I wanted dark and witty, and mostly I just got...eh, not that. While I knew every song DiPucchio played off of (which is an absolute must for this type of book), her versions lacked the wit I was hoping for. Grimly's illustrations were appropriately creepy (occasionally bordering on too disgusting from time to time), but overall, this just didn't meet my expectations.
Shane
Feb 20, 2012 Shane rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Shanshad
Got this from the library for my 6 year-old. The art is AWESOME. I love this guy. Very Nightmare Before Christmas-ish. It's basically a bunch of classic songs re-written with horror lyrics "Home, home of the strange, where the feared and the freaks come to play" type stuff (to the tune of Home on the Range). Some are funny some are just okay but that's okay because the art totally rocks!!!
Raina
Sing the take-off of Oh, My Darling Clementine with an auditorium of elementary school kids* and just TRY to dislike this book. The illustrations are creepy cool in the Nightmare before Christmas, Neil Gaiman kind of way.

Major hit with elementary kids in summer reading school visits 2012.

*don't forget to extend and ham up the line which starts "Oh my frosted..."
Liza Gilbert
Yes! Yes! Yes! This is what a monster picture book should really be like! Who can compare to Gris Grimly for delightful, creepy, and utterly bizarre illustrations? DiPucchio also does a lovely job of taking traditional songs and making them ghoulish. Plus, two thumbs up for any book that can make a rhyme out of "goon underwear."
Robin
Cleverly dark and disgusting song parodies.
Callie Rose Tyler
I felt like there was a real lack of creativity. I wanted more. I did not find any of the parodies to be overwhelmingly clever, nor did I find a single one funny. The illustrations are very nice though, and it coul be fun to use one or two of these during a storytime or something.
Kristin
Although not one of my personal favorites, it is an excellent book. For all those kids out there that love creepy, crawly, gross books, this is perfect. It is extremely creative to read and the pictures are engaging. I'm lending this to the neighbor boy. He'll love it.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Author Kelly DiPucchio has cleverly reworded familiar campfire songs to reflect an "Addams Family"-like world of ghosts, ghouls, monsters, and witches. Gris Grimly's illustrations are a perfect accompaniment to these poems. Kids who enjoy creepy things will love this book.
Shelley Barnow
Sing "Home of the Strange" to the tune of "Home on the Range," "Blow Blow Blow Your Nose" to the tune of "Row Row Row Your Boat," and 99 Bottles of Blood on the Wall...well, you get the idea. Big fun and wonderfully creepy illustrations by Gris Grimly. All ages.
Catherine
some very clever (albeit yukky!) lyrics to familiar songs - kids will have a giggle and a try! Gris Grimly's illustrations as always are truly cute in a gruesome kind of way. There is always much to be discovered in the detail.

Audience: 10 year olds.
Tricia
campfire songs for monsters! some are quite clever, others just okay. may be fun for a do-not-call-it-halloween program if lyrics were shared for group sing. some are too gross for sharing with public. pictures are softly gory.
S. Todd Strader
Familiar tunes like Home On The Range and Row,Row, Row Your Boat re-lyric-ed with kid grabbing monster rhymes... palm to forehead... why didn't I think of that!
  • Boris and Bella
  • The Perfect Nest
  • The Book That Eats People
  • Even Monsters Need Haircuts
  • Vampire Boy's Good Night
Kelly is the award-winning author of several children’s books, thousands of To-Do lists, and a few recipe cards. Two of her books, Grace For President and The Sandwich Swap, were New York Times bestsellers.

Like most kids who grew up in the 1970’s, Kelly had a pet goat and bought all her clothes from the Sears catalog. Like most teenagers who grew up in the 1980’s, Kelly had really big glasses and
More about Kelly DiPucchio...
Gaston Grace for President Zombie in Love Crafty Chloe Gilbert Goldfish Wants a Pet